New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

During the silence, Bolten enjoys more of the krakenmari by dipping the strings into his chowder like a sort of sauce. He is about to respond to Shandara's question when his ears pick up a strange skittering. Whatever is making the noise, it is certainly not their aranea server...

Following the strange sound, Bolten looks up to see a strange... creature? Contraption? Whatever it is, Bolten has no doubt that it is some kind of surveillance device trying to spy on the party next door. Rather than being concerned with what sorts of politicking and espionage might be involved, Bolten just wants to examine the device. Reaching up by standing in his chair, Bolten grabs the beetle spy and pulls it down to examine it. After sitting down, Bolten muses to himself as if forgetting that Shandara is sitting there watching. "Hrm, doing a little eavesdropping, are we? Let's see what makes you tick..."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just let me know what sort of roll I need to make. I'm assuming that it's clockwork, but maybe it's something else.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

The beetle is just that, a large black beetle with a glossy black carapace and a distinctive horn on it's head. The beetle struggles a bit, but it's not too difficult for Bolten to keep hold of it.

Bolted to its back is a smallish tin box, that Bolten can easily pry open with the help of the help of the tip of a knife or other piece of cutlery. Held within is a very thin silver needle, contained into a kind of gyroscope that seems to be built to always keep the point of the needle pointing down. The needle glows very slightly, indicating it has been enchanted in some way.

Spoiler: Bolten's observations
    Show

The gyroscope contraption is decent work, especially given how small everything is, as it's clear the box was made to be easily carried by the large beetle. The style of crafting is not particularly familiar to Bolten, but the delicacy of the work, as well as the small flourishes on the various parts suggest a craftsman or woman concerned with aesthetics, even on the parts that no one is likely to see much.

The enchantment is of a kind Bolten has seen before. It's called a 'twinning' enchantment, and designed to make two objects believe that they're actually the same object, and any changes made to one object (such as movement) affects both. It's a fairly new innovation, and ways to sue it are still being developed. The uses Bolten would have heard off would all be related to basic signalling, such as twinning the clappers on two bells, such that if one bell is rung, so is the other one. The enchantment on this appears very intricate however, suggesting either additional functions, or some kind of advancement or refinement on the design, allowing for example for greater accuracy in the mimicking of movement.

Spoiler: Shandara's observations
    Show

The bug is known in the Empire as an Underdark Rhino beetle.It is found,a s the name suggests, in the Underdark, and rarely makes its way to the surface. It is sometimes used by Drow for acts of sabotage, as it can carry for more weight than a similar sized spider, and its will is easily overpowered by even weaker mages.

The enchantment is of a kind Shandara has seen before. It's called a 'twinning' enchantment, and designed to make two objects believe that they're actually the same object, and any changes made to one object (such as movement) affects both. It's a fairly new innovation, and ways to use it are still being developed. The uses Shandara would have heard off would all be related to basic signalling, such as twinning the clappers on two bells, such that if one bell is rung, so is the other one. The enchantment on this appears very intricate however. Shandara can make out a secondary enchantment on the rig holding the Needle that anchors the enchantment, meaning that the needle's twin will only react to movement of the needle within the gyroscope, and it won't move around if the gyroscope as a whole moves around. The enchantment has also been reinforced to be incredibly precise, so the needle's twin will pick up even the smallest vibrations.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara peers at the beetle, which she had not noticed before until Bolten. "That's.. what you all would call, an Underdark rhino beetle.. commonly used for acts of sabotage.." An eyebrow of hers rises with concern. What was it doing here??

"May I see that for a moment?" she asks.

After studying it for a bit she says, "This is incredibly precise. The needle.. and I mean the needle it is paired with, will only move if the gyroscope itself moves. I wonder.. is it precise enough to pick up the vibrations of voices?"

She peers around again, probably in vain, wondering who this belonged to and why it was here. She was feeling rather uncomfortable.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    perception: (1d20+6)[12]

As she studies the needle longer, her eyes narrow and she says, "Yes, I'm almost certain of it."

Well, now what? They knew they were being spied on.. whoever this beetle belonged to knew they knew...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-10 at 03:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304

Bolten is a little surprised at first how the beetle still shows some basic survival instinct despite its repurposing. As a peace offering, Bolten offers the bowl of cave crab chowder to the insect. Petting the shell like the back of a cat, Bolten asks, "Can you make pets out of them? I'm not usually an animal person, but maybe this bug would like a home instead of such a dangerous job."

After handing over the device, Bolten informs Shandara, "Whoever made this, they take pride in their work. There's a lot of love in there for what might be a listening device."

He nods at Shandara's observation, for once completely on the same page as her. While she is rightfully worried about the owner of the device, Bolten is single-mindedly focused on the contraption itself. The mechanical design was competent and artful, even if not revolutionary, but there was some powerful magic put into making up for relatively elegant but imprecise machinery.

Perhaps unwisely, Bolten taps the top of the contraption to bounce the needle. The dwarf presents a mad sight as he begins speaking at the needle while petting a beetle. "Hello? I hope that the artisan on the other end and not some other agent. I must say that this is a well-made device, but I feel like the interior gyroscoping could use a little refinement. Perhaps we should collaborate some time? I could give some pointers and I would love some tips on how you manage to shape some of the mechanisms so thinly!"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara practically sinks into her seat in embarrassment. Imagine the affront of being spied on, but then one casually starts talking to the eavesdroppers about the design of their device! Through the very same device!

"Bolten.. if they wanted to share their device and collaborate with you, don't you think they would have been more upfront about it it?"

It was quite a pessimistic view but maybe right. Of course, drow were naturally paranoid, pessimistic creatures, and usually not kind. Their very lives depended on it. While Shandara had managed to loosen up greatly, the act of espionage was making her very uncomfortable. Even using such a beetle from the Underdark.. too close to home.

"M- maybe we should just go..." Shandara says, shifting in her seat and almost ready to stand up.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Just as Shandara is about to get up, a Familiar voice greats her from above. "And here are your cockatrice wings. I apologize once again for the delay." Spinel carefully places the plate on the table. "Is there anything else I could help you with?" The Aranae notices the mostly untouched plate of firetoad fritters. "If you wish, I could ask the kitchen for a dip that takes the edge off of the spicyness. Oh and..." they nod at the beetle in Bolten's hands. "I will have to ask you not to let any pets run around free to avoid bothering other guests. I do hop that is not an issue?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-06-13 at 05:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara is too worried about spies and whatnot to care or think about the food.

"Uh.. that's not ours," she says. "We don't know whose it is..."

Suddenly she thinks of an idea.

"I don't think it might have traveled far. Maybe you could return it to its owner?"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, in that case I could take it to the reception desk at the entrance." The Aranae suggests. "Its owner will be able to pick it up over there."

9. - Top - End - #309

Bolten shrugs in response to Shandara's question. "Well, one could argue that they did. I mean, you know me. I'm not the most aware of my surroundings. If I noticed this little device, it's not the best spying attempt in the world, now is it?"

Spinel arrives with the last of the appetizers and Bolten sniffs approvingly. "If you could bring some dipping sauce, I would appreciate it. As for this little fellow... it is not a pet. I don't know who or why, but someone was trying to eavesdrop on the party next door. I suggest holding it and seeing if anyone at all bothers to come claim it." Bolten hands over the listening device along with the beetle as a sign of good faith. "I'm certain that the restaurant's owner would not take kindly to espionage being performed in the establishment."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara shrugs at Bolten's explanation. If it were her, she'd simply try to get the person's attention again, rather than do something convoluted that could be seen as suspicious. She'd expect just about any other person to do the same as well...

Deciding to just play along and let the situation go, she nods along with Bolten and says, "Hm. Perhaps a little experiment they brought along that got lost? Either way, I guess it's a good idea to hold it there."

She pondered for a moment if she should suggest something else. Maybe getting in contact with the people who "lost" their beetle to figure out who they were? But that wouldn't work. She assumed the restaurant wouldn't think it responsible to tell them, and even if they did, the other party wouldn't get their beetle back. Or maybe it would escape on its own? Hmm.

Finally getting back to the subject of food, she says, "Oh. Um. It does seem the fritters are much too spicy than we anticipated... I hope the dipping sauce you suggest does the trick."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah...." Spinel sighs at the mention of espionage, and shoots a glance at the larger party seated just behind the divider that Bolten had found the beetle on. "I do apologize for this. Minor diplomatic functions and meetings are held here from time to time, though we're generally informed in advance so we can take appropriate measures." The Aranea takes the bug and skitters off back towards the kitchen after promising to bring another kind of dipping sauce

Spinel returns within a minute or two carrying a small bowl of the promised dip. It's a thick white sauce with visible hints of herbs. It's got a refreshing and slightly citrusy taste, and when paired with the firetoad fritters it turns the spicyness down to a mild tingle on teh tongue.

"As both an apology for the incident with the bug, and a thank you for dealing with it quickly and discreetly, your meal and drinks tonight will be on the house." Spinel announces on his return. "Ehm, within reason of course. As I'm sure you've seen there are some items on the wine list we'll not be able to include."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

When Spinel scurries off, Shandara leans in and whispers, "Bolten. You think the beetle was spying on the other party? Are you sure?"

Admittedly she hadn't seen it at all until Bolten plucked it out of.. somewhere. But it almost seemed like the larger party were the ones trying to spy on them... No? Maybe it was just unnecessary paranoia. But it was all but certain that someone was spying on someone.

When Spinel returns, she's surprised to hear they'll get their bill paid for free. "Oh my, that is.. very generous," Shandara says. "Are you sure? It really wasn't any trouble..."

Something else weird, she thought. Their bill was going to come up to three gold pieces at least, maybe four. Maybe a little extra to the server for the good service. That was a lot of money for a restaurant to be giving away.. as the saying goes, 'too good to be true'. Oh damn. Were they going to be blamed for trying to spy on the other party?

13. - Top - End - #313

Shandara's paranoia only receives another shrug from Bolten. "It is an assumption, but the people next to us seem to be taking great pains to not be heard. It makes more sense than spying on the pair of us. Why would anyone do that?"

Once Spinel makes off with the spy beetle and returns with the dipping sauce, Bolten gives Spinel a look of wild surprise. "Oh well, thank ye! As Shandara said, t'was no trouble at all! Please rest assured that you will still be receiving a tip from me. Speaking of drinks, though, any chance that I can get a refill on the Bugman Brew?" Bolten hefts the stone tankard meaningfully while giving the firetoad fritters another go with the creamy sauce.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Spinel says, "It's the nature of the business, I'm afraid. Better to make sure you please the customer, rather than skimping on service and offending. Nevertheless, gratuity despite this incident is most appreciated and generous."

It seems Spinel smiles, though it's honestly hard to tell. "Ah, of course. More Bugman Brew in just one moment." They scurry off again.

When their waiter leaves, Shandara leans in again to continue their conversation discreetly, "Look, you remember how that one dwarf just stopped in front of our table and stared a bit, right? And then this large group that used some magic to muffle their voices just happened to sit near us?"

"And where did you find that thing? It was nearer to us than them, wasn't it? You'd think if the beetle was spying on them, it would be under their table to get inside the radius of their spell."

Shandara just shook her head. Oh well. Now she just felt more determined to not let this incident bother her more than anything else. She tried dipping a piece of the calamari in the soothing sauce just to try it out.

But before making an attempt at the fritters again, she tries a cockatrice wing. Much like a chicken wing, but somewhat larger, the meat comes off the bone easily, and the skin is tender and succulent, smothered in a savory sauce. Like lemon, pepper, garlic, and something else tangy that glues it all together. Extremely delicious. But unless one was an expert on the subject, one would have a hard time distinguishing if this was actually cockatrice or just chicken.

15. - Top - End - #315

Bolten holds up his hands in confusion. "Well, they had to sit somewhere. The clansman was probably just scoping us out, seeing if we looked suspicious." He opts not to mention how Shandara suffered closer scrutiny than he did. "As for the beetle, it was just on the wall behind me. If it was spying on us, why would it be on our side of the wall where we could see it? I could actually feel it crawling between my feet and heard it going up the wall behind me. I don't know anything about these people, but I imagine that they wouldn't be so sloppy in their approach if we were their intended target." There is that slight twinge of fear in the back of his mind if Shandara's words prove true, but the appearance of the situation doesn't seem to line up that way.

Spinel returns shortly with the ale and the rest of dinner proves to be a pleasant distraction. The dipping sauce proves invaluable in saving the fritters for their delicate palates and the cockatrice wings prove to be a zesty complement. The pair make light conversation so as not to let the food get cold. All in all, it proves highly satisfying and neither is tempted to load up on yet more food.

After Bolten drains the last of the Bugman Brew with a mixture of delight and imminent regret, he reaches for his pouch and pulls out four gold pieces to place on the table for Spinel's tip. An extravagant payment, perhaps, but the meal would have cost at least that much and Spinel proved to be an excellent server. Bolten didn't know the next time that he would visit this establishment, but he knows to ask for the aranea upon his return.

On their way out, Bolten lets out a jovial chuckle. "Well, that meal was a bit more exciting than what I had envisioned, but what is life without a little spice, eh?" Bolten grins from ear to ear as he looks to Shandara, nothing at all like his usual withdrawn, sullen self.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-06-16 at 08:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

So a beetle was crawling between his feet? Hm. That made Shandara wonder where the beetle came from in the first place. If it didn't come from the direction of the other party then.. where??

Shandara enjoys the rest of her food. All the appetizers and the bowl of mushrooms prove to be quite a filling meal for the small drow. She was also planning to leave a tip for the Aranea, but Bolten beat her to it. "Here. Let me split that with you," she offers, holding out two gold pieces to Bolten.

As they both were walking out of the restaurant, Bolten seemed happier than a pigeon with a potato crisp. Shandara just shrugged at his comment, really not sure what to say, but there was a slight and soft smile on her face. Hey, maybe they survived dinner after all!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

A couple of minutes after leaving the restaurant, Bolten and Shandara suddenly hear a deep voice speak up behind them. “You know, I always believed Drow to have some kind of supernatural sixth sense for when someone’s following them. Seems that’s not quite true though.”

A dwarf is standing behind them. He is wearing an exquisitely tailed suit and a neatly braided reddish-brown beard. He appears to be reasonably young as far as Dwarves go, maybe in his late forties or early fifties, though the scars on his face suggest that he’s had an interesting life so far. A slight smile plays around his bearded lips, though it doesn’t reach his eyes.

“Ah, but where are my manners. I am Dukkear, of clan Ironmonger.” He sketches a small bow. “I believe you two got rid of an eavesdropper listening in on the conversation of my compatriots, did you not?”

Spoiler: clan Ironmonger lore
    Show

clan Ironmonger are a large dwarven clan living in the Barrier mountains, a long mountain range about two weeks travel to the north of the empire. The mountains are named such because they're an obstacle that most travellers from the northern reaches of the empire have to cross to reach the capital. This mountain range also contains a number of large entrances into the Underdark, and several major Drow cities are located beneath this mountain range.

These entrances to the underdark are all barred by gates, and it is clan Ironmonger that guards those gates. In more peaceful times trade passes through these gates, but in times of conflict the dwarves of clan ironmonger ensure Drow raiding parties and even the occasional army can't pass into the surface world.

Shandara and Bolten can both roll either a knowledge history or knowledge(local) for a bit more information, and I'd like Shandara to roll a knowledge local anyway because the name 'Dukkear' sounds a bit familiar to her.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara's heart skipped a beat when she heard the voice, and she stiffened up a bit as she realized they were being followed. Turning around, she believes the one who was speaking to them was the dwarf from before: the one that stopped in front of their table briefly.

Spoiler: another roll
    Show
    sense motive: (1d20+4)[21]

He seemed amiable enough so far, though she wasn't sure if that smile was sincere. And given his clan's particular history with guarding against the Underdark - especially drow - she could not help but wonder.. did this dwarf intend to perform his clan duties here and now?

Shandara throws Bolten a nervous, sideways glance. He was the one that found the damned beetle. And she was briefly wondering if things might have been better had neither of them noticed it at all.

She looks back at the red-bearded dwarf and clears her throat. "I believe that is correct."

This was all hinging on a number of assumptions. But it seemed that it was quite likely this was true.

19. - Top - End - #319

The voice causes Bolten to startle just a little before turning to see its source. Upon seeing another dwarf, Bolten relaxes a little. "Honor to your ancestors, Ironmonger," Bolten greets him politely. Mother had always spoken of the distant mountain dwarves in hushed tones, but this fellow doesn't seem at all like a sneaky sort.

"My name is Bolten. I come from the Cogturner family. And yes, we did. Somebody had hooked a magically enchanted needle in a metal cage and put it on the back of a beetle. Why they went to all that trouble and not make a clockwork beetle instead of training a live one, I couldn't begin to tell you," he chuckles in good humor.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

The dwarf raises an eyebrow at Bolten's explanation. "It seems you know a thing or two about contraptions like that." He looks from Bolten to Shandara and back again. "You two are with the Artificery society then?" He asks.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara quickly nods. "Yes. We are. You may call me Shandara. I specialize in arcana and artificery. Bolten's specialization is engineering and clockwork."

There was something she didn't think she liked about the dwarf.. she sensed he could be incredibly dangerous. Perhaps he could have just murdered them both in cold blood if he wanted to. Yet thankfully, he didn't seem to be in the mood for that right now.

Still, she took a step back. She didn't feel so frightened that she would try and hide behind Bolten or anything like that but.. you never know...

"I know of your clan, Dukkear. It is well-known throughout the Underdark. But you, in particular.. I think I have heard.. something. It's on the tip of my tongue..."

Shandara narrowed her eyes a bit, scrutinizing the dwarf that was speaking to them again. Perhaps if he was not wearing a fine suit, and actually in armor and wielding a weapon, perhaps a signature weapon, that might bring something to mind? But wait, his clan was actually known for training assassins. Maybe that wasn't the case at all. Maybe the whole point was that you'd never really see him in a dark suit and brandishing a weapon until it was too late. In other words, whatever was special about him might have nothing to do with appearance.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-20 at 02:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

Bolten nods in agreement when Shandara lists their qualifications. "Indeed. We don't get out too much, but the festival seemed like the perfect time to try out some new places to eat."

While Shandara ponders the dwarf's identity, Bolten asks with uncertainty, "Er, just asking out of curiosity, because I'm obviously not in the security business... Why have a private meeting in a public restaurant? Isn't it fairly easy for someone to stumble in uninvited or even unintentionally?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah don't worry yourself too much about that." The dwarf responds to Shandara's probing. "The stories are all exaggerated quite a bit." He smiles as if remembering something, and this time the sentiment does reach his eyes.

He nods at Bolten's question. "Though it does make spying easier, meeting in a public place does have its advantages when neither party really trusts the other. Enough about that though." The dwarf waves away any further questions Bolten might have had about the meeting. "I went after you two both to thank you, and to make sure the people that had sent that bug didn't do anything stupid. However, I hadn't counted on you two being with the artificery society. That's quite fortunate really, it means I might be able to save myself the trouble of having to go through the usual commissioning process. Would you be interested in meeting with me two days after the festival to discuss a little project I've had in mind?"

24. - Top - End - #324

Ah, so it was a neutral meeting ground between two rivals or competitors... Bolten nods as he understands the other dwarf's point.

"Oh, well, thank you for being considerate. I had wondered if the owner would come to chastise us... But yes, I am interested in such a meeting, though I do not speak for Shandara here. Where and at what time, fellow dawi?"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. That Dukkear. Shandara must have misremembered his name slightly. It all started to make some sense now, and she blushed a bit. For all the cunning and ruthlessness drow people typically had, the stories they made up about this person were quite contrary and embarrassing. They were simply crazy, and she was skeptical that he even existed. For instance, there was no way anyone could throw a bomb and kill fifty soldiers with it before it exploded...

And now, Shandara was actually wondering if this dwarf was who he even said he was. Was it just a name he chose to try to sound more intimidating?

Either way, he had a request, so she needed to consider that. She was trying to rack her brain and remember if she had any projects or commitments going on. She thought she was available. So the next thing to do was probe what this commission was.

"I.. believe I am available.." Shandara begins cautiously. "But I am curious about what your project entails..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-22 at 01:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

"To be honest, I'm not entirely certain myself yet." Dukkear answered Shandara's question. "Its rare for me to get the opportunity to visit the capital, but I've heard a lot about the wonders the Artificery Society has come up with. I'd appreciate the opportunity to talk with a pair of artificers like yourself to see what is possible. Your colleague seemed to have some ideas for improving the bug that was sent to spy on us, so I'd certainly be interested in something like that, for example."

"As for the when and where..." The dwarf makes a show of taking a moment to think it over. "How about dusk, two days after the festival ends, meeting at the mushroom garden again?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-06-23 at 09:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara smiles a little and says, "There is much that is possible. Some of the sights you may have witnessed during the parades are evident of that. And if you'd like, there is a third person we know of, well-versed in alchemy, that we may be able to bring in as well. I think that would cover all our bases."

Then she nods. "The time and place seem fine to me. I did enjoy my time there."

28. - Top - End - #328

While Bolten isn't super thrilled about getting into the spy game, he is reluctant to refuse an invitation to showcase his skills. "Perfectly all right by me," Bolten agrees with a slight bow. "Perhaps with a tankard or two of Bugman Brew for good cheer."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

"You're welcome to bring your acquaintance along to the meeting." Dukkear responds to Shandara's question. "Well then, I do believe I need to be getting back to my clansmen. Till we meet again!" Dukkear starts to turn away, then suddenly stops, as if just now remembering something. "Oh, before I forget. You two might want to avoid the bad parts of town and just generally make sure to be around friends for the next couple of days. The three grunts those spies sent to pick you two up ran away when they spotted me, but they might still be back. They'll soon have bigger worries, but until then, I suggest you keep an eye out."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara suddenly appears more alarmed. "W- what??"

She looks around some in vain, and at Bolten, as if maybe he might have known something but just didn't tell her, then back at Dukkear. "What did they look like?"

She was utterly clueless on this matter. And perhaps, just having a vague idea of what to look out for might save her.