New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

The carefree feelings of the evening are dashed like waves against the shore as Dukkear reveals that others had followed them unnoticed. Bolten begins to realize that his moment of frivolity could have had real consequences for not only himself, but Shandara as well. His smile of excitement melts as he comes back to his usual quiet, nervous self. That expression alone should be answer enough for Shandara's unspoken question.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

"There where three of them. Tall and willowy, probably some kind of elf, but like quite a few of the revelers here they where wearing masks." Dukkear gestures around at the mass of people surrounding them and indeed, more than a few where wearing masks or some other kind of costume. "Their clothing was a bit heavier than is sensible for this weather though. They where either trying to hide some armor, or cover up all of their skin. I suspect they might be Drow though, based on their hair color. I wouldn't worry too much though. Whoever put them there was probably contemplating mischief at the restaurant, so going after you would have been opportunistic. In another day or two they'll be far too busy to waste time trying to get their hands on you."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

"What makes you say they'd be too busy?" Shandara asks, perplexed. She supposed this dwarf knew far more about espionage and Underdark politics than even she did. Shandara's parents were merely commoners with no influence. She was never really involved with House businesses...

She looks at Bolten again with worry and quietly says, "If they were other drow.. I'm not safe.. I'll never be safe..."

4. - Top - End - #334

Dukkear seems extremely confident in his assessment... Bolten can only hope that the dwarf's confidence is well-founded.

He gives Shandara a look of empathy. The dwarf remembers that feeling of isolation, of helplessness, of your entire life dancing on a knife's edge. His look of uncertainty hardens into dwarven stoicism as he raises a fist in defiance. "You're not alone up here," Bolten tells her in the firmest tone of voice she's ever heard leave his mouth. "Dwarves look out for their friends."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Dukkear seems a bit taken aback by Shandara's outburst. "I don't know your exact history, but I'd say this city is probably one of the safer places for an Underdark refugee to go. The nearest entrance to the Underdark is more than a weeks travel away, and the empire does not take kindly to Drow kidnapping its citizens, even if those citizens happen to be Drow themselves. And as I'm certain you'll have noticed, there aren't that many of your kind in the city, so any new arrivals will get noticed if you know where to ask." He seems to consider for a moment then adds one more thing. "While I'm conducting business in the city the coming days, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for a trustworthy private security company. You seem like you could do with the peace of mind of having a bodyguard on retainer. I'll have a name or two for you when next we meet."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara gazes back at Bolten with.. well.. she didn't know. Something about Bolten's words were comforting and helped to put her at ease. She wasn't used to having a friend, or anyone to stick up for her. She probably didn't even deserve it. The flood of emotions she felt was enough to make her want to cry, but she tried very hard to keep her composure.

Thankfully Dukkear was ample enough distraction. She turns to him, rubbing her face and sniffing slightly. "Oh. Kidnapping. I hadn't thought of that.. I would have thought they just might want me dead. But I forget we- erm, they.. they do like sacrifices on their altars..."

She really didn't want to be thinking about this subject anymore, and so when a security company was brought up, she nodded quickly and said, "Ah, that is a fine suggestion. Though.. I suppose it still seems strange to me. You would think bodyguards are for nobles, people like the emperor, wealthy merchant dynasties, not.. people like me..."

She sighed wistfully, looking around. He was probably right. If she genuinely felt she was in danger, she should do something about it. She had a lot of money just sitting in the bank, too. Bodyguard contracts were probably expensive, though... but hey. At least it was cheaper than dying?

7. - Top - End - #337

Shandara's words send a chill down Bolten's spine. He always suspected that there was a reason that Shandara was alone and didn't talk about her past, but this sounds very serious. His friend seems to be on the verge of breaking down right there on the street. Bolten is also thinking about the possibility of security, but there is a more pressing matter right now.

"We can worry about that tomorrow," Bolten says as he tries to comfort her. "In the meantime, how about I walk you home? Then we can meet up for breakfast in the morning and make sure that the other is all right."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods to Bolten. "That.. that seems like a good idea..."

Though she supposed Bolten's breakfast was probably more like her dinner.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

The morning of the second day of the festival broke over a quiet city, it's population slowly recovering from the previous night's excesses. The weather remains pleasantly warm, though the air feels thicker now, and on the far horizon a more threatening band of clouds has appeared, though it'll be a while yet before those'll reach the city. In squares and plazas all over the city a varied collection of entertainers busy themselves setting up their stages and tents, while posters are being rapidly put up everywhere announcing dozens of shows, from theater classics to displays of exotic animals.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara walked back home quietly with Bolten. They even tried taking some alternate routes and pausing a few times to make sure no one was following them. Though the troubling thing was, they still wouldn't know for sure if they were being followed.

Once home, Shandara practically barricades herself in, but with the large window looking out into her small garden, that made it ultimately unfeasible. She had sold some extra weapons before. Maybe.. maybe it was actually time to consider some crossbows? A light one would do, if she planned to rely on knockout poison. She didn't really know how to properly operate those little hand crossbows anyway.

Shandara shuffled about her home, restless and unsure of what to do. But it wasn't like she rested at this time. She was usually off in a library studying something, or perhaps reviewing some notes, working on a little project.. she didn't have much of anything to do as well, except making a bit of jewelry for the hell of it. She didn't feel like that, either. She paced around a bit and eventually decided to do a little cleaning, but still paranoid of someone that might want to stealthily break in.

The night was starting to get very quiet after midnight. The hooting of an owl caught her attention. She had heard an owl before, many times. Apparently, it frequented the tree growing on her property. But why was it here of all places? Was it a spy or a familiar sent by someone else? She peeked out the curtains of her second-floor bedroom, peering around for it. At about the time that she found it, it swiveled its head to look right at her. Shandara gasped slightly and withdrew.

Shandara tried to get a little rest in vain. In the morning, she wearily answered the meaty rapping on her door. It was Bolten, who for all she knew slept like a baby and was full of energy for today. But for Shandara, her day wasn't that great and it was winding down.

"Good morning.." she says a bit awkwardly and wincing at the sun that was beginning to rise over the other buildings.

"So.. where to?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-06-30 at 04:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341

The pair reach Shandara's home without incident, but Bolten is very conscious of being alone on his own walk home. He makes certain that the stout lock on his front door is secure before changing into nightclothes. What an eventful day... What had started as a simple enjoyment of the Festival's wares had spun into accidental involvement in some conspiracy. Doubt begins to creep at his mind as Bolten reflects on the potential risk to his own well-being and everything he has worked for, but it is Shandara's distress that truly gnaws at him. At some point, they need to have a discussion about Shandara's past. There had been an unspoken agreement not to speak of it, but Bolten wants to help. The dwarven ale helps Bolten eventually get to sleep.

Bolten's promise to Shandara has him up earlier than normal. The dwarf arrives at Shandara's door in his more usual attire of a artificer's overalls, shirt and trousers. His short beard has been carefully combed and Bolten is more his usual self than he was yesterday. "Er, how about you pick? I'm happy to go along with whatever."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I don't know.." Shandara said. "I was thinking Julianne's, but it's always busy at this time. Do you think being around too many people is dangerous? I get that it's not a good idea to be alone, but in a big crowd...."

She trailed off and shook her head. "Maybe.. we could walk around the campus and try out someplace new?" She shrugged.

13. - Top - End - #343

"Shoulder-to-shoulder busy is obviously not great, but we want a healthy number of people around," Bolten muses. "I'm up for trying something new again, but I confess that I am in a waffle kind of mood..."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. So waffles it is, then. I'm sure we'll find.. something..."

She closes and locks the door behind her, and they leave her yard. The gate is also closed behind them.

And so then the odd pair set out in search of waffles.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Bolten and Shandara slowly make their way through the city. There are more than a few stalls and shops selling waffles, but most of them are incredibly busy at this time of the day with a long queue of customers waiting outside. Eventually they find a place that's not quite as busy, thought the place still smells and looks great.

located against the city's outer walls. nearby, a range is being set up for what looks to be some kind of archery contest, and several nearby market stalls sell archery and hunting-related paraphernalia.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, what luck," Shandara says. Maybe wandering here over to this particular place with waffles was some sort of subconscious trick her mind was thinking of, as she recalled this contest that was happening. Or, perhaps, considering the other places they had walked by with really long queues, it was just dumb luck.

"I had meant to ask someone about, erm, catching or taming an owl. You see, there's been one outside my house for a while, apparently. I usually hear it hooting at night. I'm somewhat worried maybe someone is using it as a spy. But if not..." She trails off in thought, and likely not wanting to divulge what those thoughts were.

Then she'll approach one of the stalls that seems to have something to do with birds, and ask if they had anything to deal with her little "owl problem". Or if they knew of anyone they could recommend.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I assume that with the really high diplomacy roll, that means I'd be getting some useful information from asking around, eventually?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

The first stall Shandara approaches has a number of large birds of prey on display, and is run by a tall elf with dark brown hair and a weather-beaten complexion. Despite the birds surrounding him he does not have an immediate solution to Shandara's problem, as the birds that he sells are ones he ahs raised by hand since birth to help hunters, and though he reckons the largest of his birds could probably catch the owl, he doubts the owl would live through the experience. He points the Drow to a different stall a bit further down the street though.

The stall the elf pointed out to her has a large number of flutes carved from wood on display. Each flute is carved with different animal motifs, showing Wolves, Hawks, Elks and myriad other creatures. Shandara's practiced eye can easily make out that most of these have been enchanted in some way. Behind the display an old human male is sitting in a chair, slowly witling away at another flute. He has got short grey hair and a trimmed grey beard, and his eyes are a milky white with clouded irises, making it clear that he's quite blind.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

"Hello," Shandara says. "Would I be correct to assume that these flutes might attract or charm a particular animal?"

She looks a little uncomfortably at the blind man, but if he indeed is really blind, takes some solace in that she'll likely only be judged by her voice. After initial contact, she inquires further.

"How does it all work? And do you have anything for owls?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-07-05 at 11:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

"That's quite correct, young lady." He reaches out with one hand and brushes it along the top row of flutes. "I am Roald of Kemrin, and I've created these for people looking to encounter beasts or birds."

"Allow me to give you a demonstration." Roald says in response to Shandara's question about the way the flute's work. He puts down the flute he was working in and gingerly reaches into his large collection of flutes. The first one he picks up is decorated with a coiling snake motive. Roald quickly puts it back after using his fingers to identify it. The next flute he picks seems to be meant to for wolves, and this one too he puts back after identifying it. The third flute he picks up shows the head of a fierce bear. Roald seems to consider this one for a moment before putting it back down as well. Finally, he settles on a flute decorated with images of cats.

He puts the flute he selected to his lips and starts playing. The flute sounds very nice, and it is clear that Roald is quite skilled at playing. Within a couple of minutes a pair of cats, one black, the other ginger, come sauntering over to his stall. One climbs up in his lap, while the other gives one of the man's legs a playful headbutt. At that, he stops playing, puts the flute away and starts petting the cats.

"Nearby animals of the right type will come to you once you start playing." He explains. "Don't worry if you're not used to playing a flute, the magic in them will guide you if you let it, though results are better if you know how to play. The effect will fade shortly after you stop playing, but if you're kind to the animals you called they'll often be happy to stick around. However, the magic of the flute will only work if the one playing it is calm, and they or those around them should not mean harm to the animals called." He stops petting the cats, and a moment later the two animals scamper away again. "That last bit is very important. If you play one of these flutes with the intent to do harm... well, in the best case the magic just won't work. Worst case, every animal of the relevant kind within earshot will turn up, and they won't be happy."

"Now, you said you where looking for a flute for owls... I've got a couple of those here, I think. Is it a particular kind of owl you're looking for, or will any do?"

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, you see.. there is actually one that frequents a tree near my house. I'd like to examine it more. And perhaps.. I think it could make for a fine magical familiar," Shandara says.

She tries to describe the owl and it appears to be a barred owl.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm, yes, I think I have a flute for that one." Roald's hands roam over his collection of flutes, evaluating a number of flutes before finally picking one decorated with carvings of owls. "This one should do the trick." he presents it to Shandara for inspection. The flute is a very fine creation, relatively large, the dark wood smooth to the touch, and with a number of owls carved into it, all of which seem to be of the same species as the owl Shandara had seen before.

"Now, I'm just left with one question." The old man addresses Shandara again after giving her a moment to look over his creation. "What is this flute worth to you?"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm, I.. I couldn't say..." Shandara says.

"Likely just a one-time use.. and I admit, it's not like I have a.. natural propensity for owls.. But regardless, I don't think money is an issue for me. I'll be willing to compensate you well for your handiwork. Hmm. Would you allow me to hold it for a few moments?"

After casting some spells and examining the flute, Shandara believes it is indeed all high quality and legitimately magical. It should do as intended. Now the only question was.. was it worth it? What was the "it"? Taming an owl and making it a familiar? Buying a really expensive flute to maybe only use it a couple times? And how much was it worth to her?

One part of her was telling her it was a waste of money. But on the other hand.. supposing a wizard did have a familiar.. wouldn't the two of you want to be on good terms??

"I know these must be valuable, but as for me..." She shakes her head. "I don't know. I feel lost in indecision and doubt. What do you normally ask for them?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-07-06 at 08:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Roald shakes his head at Shandara's question. "I don't have a standard price for these. It depends on the customer. A rich merchant interested in buying a curiosity might pay with a hefty pouch of gold pieces. A poor man looking for a companion might pay with a story and a promise." He shrugs. "Only you know what this flute is really worth to you."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara pauses to think for a moment. "Well, Roald.. I assume you'll be in Vaungate at least until the end of the festival, yes?"

After a bit more hesitation she says, "I will pay you two hundred gold pieces. And perhaps, if I can befriend this owl, I will come back so you can meet him or her, and return the flute to you."

"I.. also practice magic and artificery, so perhaps there is another service I could offer you instead?"

Shandara stops, feeling she's offered something fair and reasonable, but also worried she's just overcomplicating matters.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-07-07 at 12:07 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

"That's an acceptable price, and don't worry about returning the flute." Roald responds. "I would certainly like to meet your new companion if that works out though. I will stay for another week after the festival ends, as there is a regular trade caravan that I'll join afterwards to start making my way home."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well. ... Well, um.. enjoy your stay in Vaungate," Shandara says rather awkwardly.

(going to assume Shandara dropped by the bank to get some money out either before or after this, but let's not make this more tedious)

So it was settled then. She'd try to befriend this owl and see how things went. Perhaps there was some more shopping to do as well. A crossbow, magical ingredients, or at the very least some fresh meat, though that would have to be later in the evening.

She looked over at Bolten, wondering if he ever fancied some sort of animal as a companion.

27. - Top - End - #357

After some searching, they finally find a waffle stand that won't turn their breakfast into lunch by waiting. Bolten is content to tag along behind Shandara, munching on his waffle as he curiously observes her fascination with the huntsmen's contests. He never would have pegged for that, but maybe she was branching out in the spirit of the festival?

Shandara's explanation proves that it is more than passing fancy, but that only raises more questions. She had been terrified by the prospect of being spied upon by the beetle, but less so by a mysterious nightbird at her window? Maybe... the beetle just reminded her of home too much. She doesn't seemed inclined to share her thoughts, so Bolten decides to be patient and act as a fly on the wall.

Her intention becomes clear after her conversation with the elf and the old man. Good for her, wanting another friend! Roald's terms leave Bolten mystified, but the man seems flexible in his graces. Bolten smiles as they leave Roald's company. Eventually, he notices Shandara's uncharacteristically intent stare and looks at her questioningly. "If you leave that question on your tongue any longer, Shandara, it might leave an aftertaste," he jokes.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara gazes at Bolten briefly before blinking and looking away. "Oh, it's nothing. I suppose I was just wondering.. you know, since we are here. Did you happen to have any interest in a type of animal?"

29. - Top - End - #359

Bolten shakes his head slightly. "Oh, not really. Hard enough to take care of meself, some days. The idea of another living being depending on me for survival is... quite terrifying, actually. How do mothers do it," he asks rhetorically. "If anything, I would be more interested in something like that clockwork lion that we saw yesterday, but... I don't want to create just another machine that mindlessly does what it's told. Something with its own life, its own personality. Something that will be around even when I'm gone."

During his musing, Bolten catches sight of a strange little mammal in a cage. It seems to covered in armor, almost like a tortoise, but there is clear hinging in the shell. He stops and looks closer at it, humming to himself as he strokes his beard. Bolten pulls out his book and begins making rough sketches and notes, rolling an idea over in his brain like a potter with clay.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara pauses to wait for Bolten to finish sketching the strange mammal.

"I should head back and rest. Do you have any plans for later in the evening?"