New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

So, it wasn't just about the end product, but scoring of the actual machine itself... Bolten approves of the mentality behind the competition, even if that made things harder.

When they return and Shandara explains the situation, Bolten asks, "If time and efficiency are major factors, are we going to have enough time for distilling and condensation to be reasonable? Even if we had the design in our heads right now, I'm not sure how much of the water would be separated from the boiling process..."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara says, "Hm. Possibly. It's a fairly reliable process, but it is slow.. and common. I am sure other teams will try it."

Setting her linen on the table she says, "It makes me think utilizing these silver grates, and getting them to pick out contaminants, rather than salt, would be much faster. But they will quickly become overwhelmed if there is too much."

Looking at Bolten and Ulrik, Shandara says with a nod, "I trust you two could come up with a sturdy design structure and preliminary filtration system, yes?"

Then to Ash, she says, "And I think with the reagents you have, you could, perhaps, further separate out heavier substances and and unwanted compounds."

"That would leave me, to remove anything else that got by."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Ulrik nods. "Yeah, I think Bolten and I should be able to come up with something. Will you need anything special as part of the design to be able to implement those grates?"

Ash shrugs at Shandara's suggestion. "I could come up with something, yeah. Making things clump together might be the only things this stuff is good for. I don't promise miracles, buuut I should be able to knock something together."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara says, "It would be best if the water could flow slowly over it, to maximize the surface area it touches. Perhaps.. if we could fit the grates into a shallow basin that they fit snugly in, with only a very slight incline?"

While the team as a whole is further refining the overall design of their apparatus, Shandara has to get to work trying to think up of a way to override the enchantment on the grates. Either way was a gamble, but she decides with the shorter amount of time she may spend simply erasing parts of the previous enchantment, she should have more time to search for something else she may need.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    This is for designing the enchantments. It will essentially be her result for crafting them.

Spellcraft: (1d20+16)[32]

or (1d20+16)[26]

Then using Magecraft or Crafter's Fortune, I'll add a +5 bonus to the craft (jewelry) for patching up the grates. (1d20+18)[30]

And finally, I'll use the other of the two spells for trying to separate out the useless glass from the powder.

(1d20)[17] +18 if it's jewelry, +14 if alchemy. There may be a physical or chemical process to do this..

It soon becomes apparent to Shandara, that she was lacking in materials. She would have to go back and find something, anything that might be used to help power her enchantments.. but that was assuming the ship hadn't been completely picked clean. Maybe they could barter things with the other teams?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-09-21 at 01:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485

More out of a desire to help than second-guess Ash, Bolten suggests, "Could we put oil or some sort of hydrophobic material on the liner? Something that the water wouldn't stick to but might be an additional layer of catching contaminants?"

From Shandara, Bolten requests clarification. "Are you referring to just the grate material or the entire apparatus?" The dwarf considers if such an approach would be sound design.
    Spoiler
    Show
    See OOC thread

While Bolten mulls over that chestnut, he asks the question, "Is there anything that we need? Perhaps if we ask nicely, one of the other teams might be willing to trade some material from us."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-09-25 at 04:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

"That could be a way to do it." Ash mulls over Bolten's suggestion. "I can think of a couple ways to do that if I had access to my own ingredient store. With this stuff, I'll need to do some experimentation, see what sticks, you know?"

Meanwhile Shandara was making good progress mapping out what she'd need to do to get the grates functioning again. Provided she could get some more materials to actually finish the enchantment, she was feeling very confident about her approach. It'd take some time, of course, but she'd have plenty left over to try and improve things or help out the others.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara simply nods. "Yes. The slower and closer water flows through these grates, the more effective they would be."

She thinks a bit on the predicament of trying to strain the sewage using only cloth. "Might I suggest using that metal you found as a seive? Assuming you could poke numerous tiny holes in it and apply pressure, or perhaps using centripetal force, and an agitation element of some kind, I think that would be the first step.. and then cloth can come after."

8. - Top - End - #488

"Hmmm... Centripetal force would probably be easier, if we can rig the apparatus to spin. With these wood parts, we might be able to do that. I could also try shaping the metal into a cone or a drum... Making the small holes might prove difficult with the materials that we have on hand. I would need something thin enough to keep the holes small, but strong enough that it won't snap in the metal. I have a few of my lockpicking tools on me, but I don't know if they would do the job... They're also somewhat delicate and expensive, mind you.

For an agitation element, maybe we could build a rocking swing under the grate? The grate would be separate up top and it might be the easiest method we can set up in the time we have... unless you have a better suggestion,"
    Bolten prompts with polite attention.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

"The grate? No, I meant agitation for your initial seive. And in any case, finding tools really shouldn't be an issue, since we are allowed to bring our own."

Shandara looks at Bolten. "Do you, uh, have other tools elsewhere, perhaps? I assure you my jeweler tools are no more sturdier than lock picks..."

10. - Top - End - #490

"Oh, right... I, er, forgot that we could get our own things after the contest started. Let me, uh, check out real quick and I will take a carriage back to my workshop."

Thankfully, Bolten is able to hail some transportation after checking out with the officials. Fifteen minutes, 3 silver paid, and one check-in later, Bolten returns armed with a fresh set of tools. During the short carriage ride, where he had a moment to think to himself, an idea percolated through his brain like the sewage would through their machine... Blech, no, that would be a horrible comparison!

At any rate, when Bolten returns, he relays his ideas to Ulrik about the agitating assembly. He suggests a series of sloped shelves made up of the perforated metal plates, which would rock slightly out-of-sync with the others to properly agitate the waste and catch the more unsavory bits while the water itself passed through. The entire system could be operated by pulley as the shelves slide back on forth on their own individual racks below the disinfecting grate assembly.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm." Ulrik takes a moment to think over Bolten's suggestion. "Can you sketch out the way you want these plates to move? I should be able to figure out a rope and pully system to easily operate it all. I also know where to find some rope in the ship. Far thicker than what we'd need here, but I could probably break it down into something useful for the machine."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara has a lot of work cut out for her, so she is busy working to repair the silvered grates for the entire time Bolten left to get some tools. And she'd be working on that one little project alone for longer.

Still, she manages to provide a few suggestions to their overall design, if it helps.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I've made some IC suggestions in speech. But how about a roll to aid another?

Aid with knowledge, engineering: (1d20+8)[28]

might as well use the last of investigative mind while I'm at it. (1d20+8)[12]

13. - Top - End - #493

Luckily, Bolten happens to have some spare parchment and ink on him. He draws out his idea with his usual attention to detail, going so far as to include measurements, before handing it over to Ulrik. "Let me know if you have any questions. I had better get to work on reshaping the metal for our needs. I imagine poking the holes cleanly is going to be very time-consuming."

Going to work on one of the portable anvils set up by his fellow dwarves, Bolten begins the process turning the scrap metal into shaped metal sheets.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll use Craft (armor) since that probably fits the most.

(1d20+15)[17]

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Ulrik looked over the schematic, then nodded. "I should be able to make this work." He then headed over to the ship to gather some more materials, accompanying Shandara as she went to search for some gems.

Shandara's spell worked quite well with determining that there where some gemstones still hidden around the ship, but all that remained where hidden away quite deviously, in hidden crawlspaces, behind panel or under seemingly solid floorboards. Eventually, she did manage to find a couple of small rubies and emeralds, as well as a bit more silver from the jewelry the stones where set in. The material she'd found would definitely be enough to complete her enchantment.

Bolten meanwhile got to work on processing the metal. progress was slow, however, the sub-standard material giving him a lot of trouble. After an hour had passed, eh had managed to hammer together some passable sheets of iron to further process into a working contraption.

Ulrik had meanwhile gotten to work on turning some half-rotten ropes into something useful, and with translating Boltens design into something workable. His progress was a little better than Boltens, and by the time Bolten was done with the sheets of metal he had assembled enough rope and a number of rudimentary pullies for the system.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara was quite content with her results, to say the least. It was funny how these sailors liked to squirrel away valuables on a ship like this.. It may not be too much unlike Drow, who, when lacking wards and devious traps, may resort to hiding things as a last-ditch effort for security.

With the gems she found, she had plenty of materials to work with now. Perhaps she may be even be able to take a few gems home as souvenirs! Well, at least that might motivate her to create some nice jewelry again. Returning triumphantly with her plunder, she continues setting to work, her plan almost fully mapped out in her mind already.

After some hours, the silvered grates were repaired, and certain parts of their enchantments were overwritten. Now instead of attracting salt, it would attract microbes... bacteria, viruses, and other microscopic lifeforms which were too small for the naked eye to see. An additional gem or two were affixed to the grates to grant them additional power.

As far as Shandara was concerned, her part was finished.. but the others still needed to come through as well. She looks to Bolten, and Ulrik, and Ash, checking in on them. "How are you progressing? I have finished my part, so I may be able to help. Though.." she sighed. "I would appreciate some rest.."

Shandara tried, but couldn't get much rest with her disrupted schedule. In fact, she should have been resting, by trance, sleep, or otherwise, at the time the competition had begun. She was feeling quite weary now.. perhaps what she needed was a "pick-me-up" to get her through the rest of this.

Spoiler: roll for funsies
    Show
    fortitude: (1d20-4)[9]

Not like I am expecting hugely detrimental effects on a failure, or even a catastrophic failure, but I'd like to see if Shandara can soldier on, or perhaps she should get a nap or some coffee...

I guess my target is 10?

16. - Top - End - #496

With a grumble of resentment, Bolten sets aside the last of the metal plates. "Shoddy umgak ore base... Only fit for garbage, indeed." Looking up, Bolten sees Shandara's baggy eyes and feels a bit of concern. "You're looking a bit worn thin there, dawri. Why don't you take a breather? I need to coordinate with Ulrik, anyway."

So doing, Bolten takes the stack of metal plates over to the shipwright. "Well, if you're all set, I suppose we had better get the apparatus set up and make sure that everything fits snug. If needed, I can make some tweaks to the filter plates so that they slide better on the racks."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods slowly. Definitely feeling tired now, the more she thought about it, but nothing terribly debilitating as of yet...

"Um. Right.. Let me just see how you all are doing. Then I think I will get something to eat. And some tea, or perhaps even some coffee..."

In particular, Shandara was feeling more worried about how Ash was doing. Hopefully they could bring something together. If not, Shandara did dabble a bit in alchemy herself. Maybe if there was a problem, she could help?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

While Ulrik and Bolten began their assembly process, Shandara went over to Ash to take a look at their work. She was sitting next to a small kettle that was merely bubbling away, a pungent, slightly sweet smell spreading through the air. She was holding up a glass tube, with a small piece of cloth fitted over the top, and a tube containing water and what appeared to be dirt. The water was slowly passing through the filter and appeared to be fairly clean.

Assembling the machine meanwhile was not going so great. The idea was clearly sound, but the poor quality of the materials meant that a lot of adjustments had to be made to make sure everything fit snugly and could move smoothly. Luckily, there was still quite a bit of time left to make the necessary adjustments.

While Bolten and Ulrik got to work, Shandara realized she was still staring at the tube in Ash's hand. It had nearly fully filled up now, and the elf had a lot of trouble accounting for the time that had passed since she went looking for Ash. Her head felt a bit clouded, and her limbs felt heavy, though not in a particularly unpleasant way. Across from her, Ash was also still looking at the tube, a dreamy smile on their face.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara shakes her head a bit, and reaches out to Ash to grasp her shoulder and give it a light shake.

"There's something wrong with those fumes. Perhaps intoxicating or.. some other side-effect?"

And now she really felt weird, on top of being tired. She coughs lightly, perhaps just an impulse at this point, though it doesn't change much.

"I think you had better keep your distance from that cauldron. Or some ventilation," she adds.

How they were going to get ventilation when they were already out in the open was... never mind.

"I'll.. be back.." she says, going to check out and get some food at a cafe or someplace she can find.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

As the day wore on, several food stalls had opened up around the square, giving Shandara plenty of choice for food without having to go too far.

Adjusting all the parts so that they'd fit nicely together proved to be a lot easier than initially preparing the parts had been. Maybe it was because Bolten was getting more used to working with the sub-par metal, or maybe the low quality of the material was what made it easier to shape it into the exact shapes required. Either way, the apparatus was mostly coming together by the time Shandara got back.

21. - Top - End - #501

Bolten starts to relax when the metal shapes more easily to his will. Ironically, the wooden frame seems to help by mapping a path for how the panels needed to bend.

Looking up as Shandara returns, Bolten greets her. "Hope you're feeling better. So, what do you think? Should we hook up the grate and give this a little test run?"

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods and says, "Yes, let's try running water through it or the like at least. We'll see if there was anything we overlooked on the first run through."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

After fitting in Shandara's grates and adding the cloth filters treated with Ash's creation, the machine was finally ready for testing.

Ash and Bolten slowly upended a large kettle with water and dirt into the machine while Ulrik was rotating a crank to move the agitating assembly. Several seconds later, clean water came out the other side of the machine. There where a couple small leaks along the way, but overall it seemed like everything was working as it should.

"I can probably plug those..." Ulrik was cut off as Glenn's voice rang across the plaza.

"Contestants, there is now only half an hour left to finish your creations. Best of luck to you all!"

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods. "I'm sure our apparatus wins no awards for looking the most pretty, but I do think it would be best to seal up the leaks as best we can.. at least, in any way that doesn't compromise the purity of the water. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Then giving their creation a sideways glance, she says. "Hm... you think we ought to.. taste that water?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-10-11 at 09:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505

Seeing the dirt being filtered from the water was encouraging, but sewage was an altogether different animal than dirt. Bolten's bushy eyebrows went up at the half hour warning and he looked to Ulrik. "If you could, please..."

He shrugged at Shandara's concerns. "Not pretty, aye, but hard to make anything functional out of a wrecked ship, let alone aesthetically pleasing... As long as it does what it is supposed to, I'm happy." Bolten left the matter of patching the holes to Ash and Ulrik, clearly much more experienced than he was at stopping leaks.

The dwarf grew visibly uneasy at the idea of tasting the water for himself. He certainly hoped that they wouldn't have to sample the final product... Bolten reminded himself that dirty water was still infinitely preferable to sewage and used a cup to sample the machine's output.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Ulrik set to work using the remaining pieces of sail-cloth to tightly bind the portions of the machine that had been leaking, hopefully creating a watertight seal.

Bolten's taste-test meanwhile was quite uneventful. The water tasted like nothing, as it should. There was a very slight oily feel to the liquid, but nothing in the taste betrayed any sort of issues or problems with the filtering process.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Since it seemed Bolten more or less approved of the water, Shandara takes a very small taste, and notices the same problem. Or at least, maybe it was a potential problem.

"Hm. Something in this water... seems like a residue of some kind. Any idea what it is? It can't have been from the water or dirt we originally put in.. could it?" she asks, looking at Bolten and Ash.

"Perhaps, all we need to do is flush more water through. Or would you recommend against that?" Again, this question is pointed directly at Ash. Perhaps there was only a limited effectiveness to the thing she created over the cloth? It didn't exactly feel like there was time to study the liquid much (though maybe they could try.. still, that would probably leave little to no time to fix whatever this was).

Then again, thinking about what Shandara said, she tries tasting some of the original water - the water they used for the test before they even put dirt in it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-10-13 at 10:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

"Let me check." Ash takes a small taste of the water as well. "Hmmm, this might be a tiny residue of the coating I put on the cloth filters. If that's the case, it is better to not run anymore water through, I think. Give the solution some time to really attach to the cloth before the major test." The alchemist considers the water a moment more. " If that is what it is, there's not really much reason to worry. The coating isn't poisonous or anything. If you where to drink it directly it might act as a laxative though."

Shandara's taste-test of the water before filtering it revealed an absence of the oily feeling, suggesting that it was indeed something coming from their machine.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods. "Ah, right, right. We should probably try to dry out the cloth then. Maybe re-apply the coating? But I would definitely think giving it time to settle is a good idea. Hrm. Perhaps if we can also somehow arrange to get tested later..."

30. - Top - End - #510

Hearing Ash's explanation gives Bolten some relief... thought not quite as much as it could have potentially, given Ash's description of the cloth filters' coating.

"Drying out the filters seems good, aye, but we better not put any more coating on there. The judges might not thank us for making them run to the nearest lavatory." As Shandara brings up the possibility of an extension, Bolten's expression grows stern and he crosses his arms. "We could ask for an extra half hour, or a day, or a week... but the point of this contest is to do what we can within the time limit. Whether we win or not, I am satisfied with what we have been able to do with these scraps of a sunken vessel. Let the axe fall where it may!"