New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

"Perhaps.. you may have misunderstood my intention, Bolten. I think, all I may be saying is, let us not volunteer to go first?" A small smile forms on Shandara's lips.

"Also, during the opening announcements, Glenn did say they would be performing some alchemical tests, rather than drinking the water themselves. So no need to worry about people's bowels loosening."

"It seems like it may be safe enough, so my only concern is that it may alter the results of a test."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Half an hour later Glenn's magically amplified voice once again rang out across the plaza. "And that's time! Everyone, put down your tools and cease all spellcasting. Those of you that made an easily portable solution, please bring your contraptions over to the center of the plaza. For everyone else we've got carts and a couple mage skilled at levitation magic to help you move your creations."

It took about 20 minutes for all creations to be moved over to the center, where two men in the uniform of the Escribano workshop where looking over a large contraption. It consisted of a large cylinder inscribed with an enchantment very similar to the one Shandara had designed for the workshop. This cylinder then fed into a large bundle of hoses, which the engineers where attaching to whatever intake ports the contestant's creations where fitted with. Each contraption was also given a large metal casket at its outlet to catch the results of the process

There was a wide variety of different designs on display. Some seemed to be working through distillation, while others probably used some kind of filter system. There where also some contraptions that looked more unusual still, containing vats covered in scrawled enchantments. One particular team had brought what seemed to just be a wooden tub, though one filled with a milky yellow alchemical solution.

"In a few moments, we'll begin pumping up sewage from the sewers below the campus and into your contraptions." Glenn announced. "We'll then let it run for five minutes. The pumping apparatus, courtesy of the Escribano workshop should ensure your creations won't get overloaded, but if something does look like it'll go wrong, give a shout and we'll shut off the flow into your creation. You won't be directly penalized for this, but it might end up costing you some points for the volume your machine processed as we'll only count what's there, not what could have been there. You'll be judged on the quality and volume of the filtered fluid, as well as the originality of your design. The judges will be walking around, observing everything in motion, and they might be asking you all some questions to help judge the originality aspect. Please answer those questions honestly, as the judges can ask to see the insides of your creation if they think you're just spinning them a tale. Well then, may the best creation win!"

One of the engineers pulled a lever on the contraption, and with a gurgling noise it jumped to life. though this was accompanied by a bad smell, it wasn't nowhere near as bad as one would expect when dealing with raw sewage. Maybe this was a property of everyone's creations, or maybe the device dispensing the sewage was designed to also deal with the smelly byproducts.

Ulrik was once again manning the crank on team Sprockets creation, and at first it looked like everything was working extremely well. The water coming out looked almost perfectly clear, and it was flowing fairly rapidly too. After a minute or three this started to change though, with the water coming you of the machine slowly taking on a more yellowy-brownish hue.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

"Something's failing. I feel perhaps its just too much. We should stop this while we at least have.. or had, some pure water..."

Shandara says, with a sigh.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolten's optimistic enthusiasm visibly dies as he sees the water start to change color. He starts biting his lower lip as his mind races through what could have gone wrong. "O-Oh... Oh dear... What could have gone wrong? Did the holes get clogged on the metal plates?" That would account for the lack of chunks in the strained water.

While Ulrik continues pumping the machine, Bolten finds a way to get up higher to look down into the machine while it's working... all while pinching his nose shut, of course.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

The grates can just barely be made out, though they've been mostly covered in a thick brown layer of gunk, which is till growing. Even now, the water still looks a bit clearer after passing through the filter than before it, but its clear the efficiency of the grates is being reduced by the amount of stuff they already need to keep from slipping back into the water.

However, even at reduced effectivity, it seems team Sprockets machine is still doing better than the competitors right next to them. The contraption directly to the left seems to use some form of distillation process which, while effective, is very slow. On the other hand is a machine merely using mechanical filters, and its output, while clear of chunks is deep brown
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-10-17 at 01:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

"Is there not some way we can clean it out? But I suppose such a level of interference would be against the rules, at this point." Shandara shakes her head. "We should have added some way to throw out all the unwanted gunk..."

7. - Top - End - #517

Shaking his head sadly, Bolten answers, "I just didn't have time to think of a way to clear the grates. I barely had enough time to point them into the correct shapes as it is. We could scrape them, aye, but it feels like cheating." Truth be told, Bolten severely underestimated the volume of sewage that would be running through the system. A few changes in design spring to mind that would have made things better, but it was a day late and a copper short.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

"Well.. I propose we ask a judge if we can clean it out. Otherwise, let's just stop it before things get worse. It will at least show the process worked... for a while."

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

"You called for a judge?" A middle-aged half-elf speaks up from just Behind Shandara. She looks about middle aged and wears a long white coat of a kind often worn by Society campus doctors, with a a set of half-round glasses sitting on her nose and a stern expression on her face.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara whirls around, a bit surprised. "Uh, y-yes..! That was fast..."

She points at the top of their machine. "We have a very basic sieve system up top, but seems it's getting clogged due to the sheer.. unexpected volume we are working with. Is it okay to scrape out the sludge with something, or do we have to leave it be?"

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

"No, I'm sorry." The woman shakes her head. "It's something you should have accounted for in your design. Do you want me to ask the engineers to cut off the flow to your machine?" She raises a hand to get the attention of one of the Escribano engineers.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

"It's my preference, but.. we as a whole should decide."

Shandara looks over at Bolten, Ash, and Ulrik expectantly.

13. - Top - End - #523

After a moment of hard thought, Bolten replies reluctantly, "Well... there's nothing dangerous about keeping it going and it would be a bad look for us to shut the machine down. I think we should keep it running, but I will defer to the group's decision should they feel differently."

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

Ash took a look over at the tub receiving team sprocket machine's output. "Eh, if we caught it while it was still pristine, stopping might have been worth it. I say, let it run its course, and hope quantity can overcome a little hit in quality." They responded.

Ulrik meanwhile was still manning the crank powering the machine's internals. "I don't have a good enough view on things from here, so I'll leave it up to the rest of you. I don't really see any reason to stop unless everything is literally falling apart though."

"It seems you've made your decision then." The judge responded, and gave the engineer a wave, indicating that everything was okay. "I am doctor Fauxfontaine, by the way. Could you give me a quick overview of your machine's process?"

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I wouldn't really call it a small hit to quality..." Shandara protests. But she just decides to give up on the argument.

Returning her attention to the judge, Shandara nods and says, "Certainly, miss.. uh, doctor? Fauxfontaine." Pointing toward the top where she had spoke about before, she says, "Up at the top is a fairly basic mechanical sieve. It has small holes and an agitation apparatus which Ulrik is operating by turning the crank. The idea is to keep most of the waste out, and effectively extract the tainted water. Below that it passes through some filtration systems using cloth. These have been alchemically treated to cause sediments and other finer materials to fall away."

Below the area seemed to be a deep reservoir, where inlet and outlet were only at the top. Then she points to the wider portion after, where the silvered grates rested in. It went down at a shallow angle, where water poured out the bottom. "Finally, water passes over some enchanted silver grates. Originally, they were found on the ship and used for extracting salt from sea water. Since then, they were repaired and repurposed to extract harmful microbes such as bacteria - they should currently be stuck to the grates."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-10-20 at 11:09 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526

Shandara's words provoke a disapproving look from Bolten. Basic? It was a sieve that agitated at the same time! Sure, Bolten hadn't designed it perfectly, but he crosses his arms as he feels put down.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you for the explanation." Doctor Fauxfontaine quickly jots down some notes', than takes a peak in the receiving vat at the end of the machine. "Hmmm, judging by the color of the water and the output of your machine, your filtering process must have gotten pretty close to pure water in the beginning." She jots down another note, then wanders over to examine the creation of the next team over.

By the time the sewage flow stopped, the water in the vat connected to team sprocket's machine had taken on a decidedly yellowish tinge. However, the vat was also nearly full. Once the testing phase had run tis course, all vats where tagged with the names of the teams and hauled of for weighing and testing. The judges made use of a variety of alchemical powders to test for contaminants and then sequestered themselves for further discussion. After about half an hour Glenn took to the stage once more. "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience. The judges have informed me that they're ready to read their verdict. For those that are new to this competition, let me quickly explain how the award process works. We award four prizes for first, second and third place, as well as an honorable mention for the team that managed to impress the judges most while not qualifying for the top three spots. In addition to these four beautiful trophies..." Glenn gestures at a table holding four small metal statues that seem to have been cobbled together from scrap metal with colors roughly matching a gold, silver and bronze hue, as well as a black one that'll likely be awarded to the honorable mention. "The three winning teams will get a cash prize of respectively 150, 100 and 50 gold coins. For the honorable mention we only have bragging rights, I'm afraid. If you're not among the winning teams you can still approach the judges afterwards to hear their comments on your design, but remember to be civil."

"Now then, let me introduce the judges." Tonks Galbic and doctor Fauxfontaine join Glenn on the podium. They're accompanied by two human men, one tall and willowy, clad in a white coat and wearing a set of spectacles on a young-ish face, the other an older and heavy set man wearing a fashionable suit. "With me are doctor Fauxfontaine from our own hospital, doctor Emeran of the Goldspring Alchemist's guild, mr. Galbic of the Escribano engineering workshop and mr. Streidekker of the very same shipyards."

"Thank you, Glenn." Doctor Emeran steps forward and addresses the crowd of onlookers and artificers. "We've made you wait long enough, so let's get right to it, with the Honorable mention going to team Alchemy!" Under polite applause a number of students join the judges on the podium to receive their award. "Team Alchemy's slime-based filtration process was way more effective than it had any right to be, and I'm still baffled by how you stopped any off your solution from leaking out into the receiving vat."

"They probably just threw everything they had in a pot and got lucky... again." Ashe mutters softly, though it's hard to tell whether that's reproach in their voice, or awe.

"Well then, the third place..." doctor Fauxfontaine is speaking now as team Alchemy leave the podium. "Goes to the Naturalist!" A woman wearing a green-colored robe joins the judges on the podium. "Though her filtering process using enchanted wood shavings and packed sand was very slow, it did provide the purest water we'd seen this competition. A welcome reminder for this harvest festival that there's still a thing or two we can learn from the way nature filters water."

"Now, we're down to the first and second place." Tonks voice echoes across the plaza as the sole member of team naturalist leaves with her trophy and reward. "Before I announce who got which place, I'd like to say that the designs by team 'better living' and team Sprocket both impressed our entire judging cadre. Both designs could have been ready for actual use with only minor modifications. Team 'better living's rapid distillation process was really well executed, using some ingenious enchantments to speed up this normally slow process. Unfortunately, they failed to account for quite a few contaminants having a boiling point close to that of water and therefore remaining in their output. Teams Sprockets design combined a number of approaches from engineering, alchemical and magical disciplines to create the quickest process of our four winners, but unfortunately they where let down by the lack of a way to keep their enchanted filters clean and working at full capacity."

"Now, as I said, we've had a long discussion about which of these teams deserved the top prize, and in all honesty it could have gone either way. However, we've only got a single first-place trophy, and we'll be awarding it to..." Tonks let the moment stretch for just a bit longer. "team Sprocket!"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-10-27 at 09:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looks over at Ashe quizically as she mutters. "Were you with them before?" she whispers. Though given how rude it would be to talk during all this, the conversation would have to be picked up later.

Then the results start coming in. The slime approach which Ashe seemed to envy was something Shandara was curious about. If possible, she'd like to look into that team's work and see what it was all about.

After the naturalist, which, Shandara admittedly was not intrigued enough to desire any followup investigations, she was taken by surprise to hear Team Sprocket being mentioned.

Wait. We are the top two??

It seemed inconceivable to her at first. While there were obviously some teams she was aware of who fared worse, the oversight of their design and yellow tinge to their water made her think that, surely they wouldn't make the cut. Now Tonks announced that..... they had actually won! Albeit, by a slim margin. But still.

Shandara's jaw just about dropped for a moment, and she stood there with her team frozen like a deer, simply flabbergasted. After a little prodding, she realizes that she needs to walk over and stand with the judges for a bit. With all the excitement, she blushes furiously, though her dark skin makes it very hard to even notice, and she can't quite decide: should her colorful silk cloak still be up or should she pull it down??

In the end, inaction leaves it up, but at least her eyes and face are slightly shielded from daylight. She looks at the other members of her team: Bolten, Ulrik, Ashe. And the judges and the crowd. A timid smile forms on her face, quite happy they won, but uncomfortable being among the center of attention.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-10-24 at 02:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529

Bolten is in a sullen mood as the judges gather and announce the prizes and winners. He is totally focused on the failures of his design methods and how it was his part of the machine that let them down. Even in his slump, however, Bolten can mildly appreciate the genius put on display by Team Alchemy and Team Naturalist.

When Bolten hears that they actually made the top two, his eyebrows go flying into the sky. Wait, they were one of the best designs?! Then Team Sprocket is announced the first place winner and Bolten's jaw joins Shandara's on the floor. Once he recovers from his shock, however, Bolten bunches his fists and holds them up with childlike glee, laughing in spite of himself. They did it! They won, and on their very first time in the competition! Bolten happily shakes the hands of Ash and Ulrik and ends up giving Shandara a warm hug in all the excitement.

His enthusiasm dampens slightly as they become the center of attention when they accept their prize from the judges, but it only downgrades Bolten's smile from beaming to merely awkward.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

The first and second place prizes are handed over to team sprocket and team 'better living' under loud applause. After the ceremony Tonks takes a moment to congratulate the team in private, as does mister Streidekker, who seems to be an acquaintance of Ulrik. Afterwards, the event starts to slowly wind down, and preparations are being made to start breaking down all the temporary facilities that have been set up for the contest. Ashe meanwhile is eyeing the hefty coin-pouch containing the money awarded to the team. "So, what do you say we find a fancy restaurant for a little party to celebrate our win? We can certainly afford a good meal now." they suggest.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose that's not a bad idea," Shandara says, her stomach on the verge of growling. She had had something to eat a little while ago, but it was mostly a snack and some coffee to help keep her awake.

"What else was supposed to be happening this day?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    welp I lost the list of events for the festival by day. Again.

22. - Top - End - #532

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Found it in the OOC thread.

Night 3: the commoners ball: a large ball is held in the herdsman's market, free for any and all to attend.
    Day 4:Day four is more for general festivities. there's a market, though smaller than on the first day. However, on this day the emperor and higher nobles also hold an open court for all to attend and bring forward requests for judgement or aid.
    Night 4: closing festivities and the large fireworks show. The show itself is legendary, the product of a year's work of alchemists and artisans from all over the empire.

"I could also go for some dinner," Bolten agreed. "The commoner's ball is being held at the herdsmen's market tonight, if I recall. Not sure if you would enjoy that, Shandara, but it is an option."

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah. The commoner's ball..." Shandara said, mulling it over.

"You may be right.. It's not like I have anyone to dance with..."

Then again, there was the whole issue of cultural disparity. Surely there would be a whole different style of dances and customs here, no? And more importantly, would she enjoy herself? Well, the answer may be no.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

"Well then, i vote we use our prize money for a sumptuous dinner at the ruby Crown, the best restaurant in town." Ashe suggests enthusiastically. "If we go easy on the wine, our winnings should just about cover that."

"And did you remember to reserve a table two months in advance?" Ulrik asks, one bushy eyebrow raised questioningly.

"Ah... no." Ashe seems to deflate. "Well, there goes that dream..."

"Most restaurants will be very busy during the festival." Ulrik adds. "I know a very good place in the harbor though, provided you all like fish. The owner is my brother-in-law, so we should be able to get a table even if the place is already full."

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara raises an eyebrow at Ashe's suggestion. Four people, blowing 150 gold pieces on one meal? That seemed incredibly exorbitant.

"I, uh.. I don't think I want to spend all that money in one sitting. Throwing away money for the sake of throwing away money is quite foolish."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I'm curious what Shandara may know about this Ruby Crown place. Seems quite famous!

knowledge local: (1d20+8)[20]

"I am sure we could find someplace nice, though there would be a wait..."

Turning to Ulrik with a nod she adds, "And I don't mind fish. So long as it's cooked and there's a bit more to eat than just fish." A small smile escapes her lips.

26. - Top - End - #536

Bolten was likewise hesitant to throw away that much money for a single meal. "Normally, I'm not too keen on fish, but if the owner is kin to you, then I would be willing to give it a shot. Eating from the same table as family is usually a good sign."

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, don't worry. Even committed carnivores change their tune quickly once they taste Melvar's cooking." Ulrik reassured Bolten.

"Eh, fish is fine too, I suppose." Ash still seemed down after getting their dreams of a luxurious meal shot down.

It was about half an hour's walk down to the harbor and the restaurant owned by Ulrik's brother-in-law. It ended up being a large building made from weathered wood with a sign proclaiming it to be the 'Bluefin's Rest'. Delicious smells of cooking seafood where wafting through the door. Inside, the places was already almost packed full. The clientele seemed to consist of a mix of merchants, ship's officers and well-off craftsmen and -women. The walls where covered in murals depicting fantastic vistas of the seas and ships.

"A young lad stops the party just as they get inside. "Do you have a reservatio.. Oh, it's uncle Ulrik!" The boy's eyes light up as he sees the woodworker. "I'll ask the staff to fit in a table for you and your friends!"

"Thank you, David." Ulrik smiles at the lad, who can't be older than a year or twelve. "Things must be really busy if your father has you helping out."

Several minutes later Ulrik, Ashe, Bolten and Shandara are seated at a table in the back of the large common room. They've been presented with a menu listing just about every kind of fish they can think of, prepared in all kinds of ways, from grilled to stewed, and of course there's a list of side dishes like baked potatoes, varies kinds of bread and vegetables as well.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara shrugs at Ash and says, trying to be reassuring, "Well.. I still don't think I like the idea, but there's nothing stopping you from making a reservation for a later date? Unless you happen to spend all your money before then..."

The walk was pleasant enough, and soon enough they arrived at the restaurant which was.. about as Shandara may have expected.

"To tell you the truth, I don't know much about all these different kinds of fish.. they all seem to taste mostly the same to me? What do you think is good?" she asks. The question was probably directed more toward Ulrik, but anyone could answer it.

29. - Top - End - #539

Bolten tried to reason with Ash. "Even if we went there tonight, they'd probably turn us away at the door. I'm sure the nobility have been scoping that place out for months just for tonight. Better luck next time, eh?"

The Bluefin's Rest looked like a typical seadog hangout, as far as Bolten was concerned, but the fact that it was so busy helped sell him on the quality of the food. As his eyes glanced over the clientele, Bolten realized that this was a place that catered to middling standing... That suited him just fine. Not too high society, but also not a buccaneer's nest.

Baked potato was for sure on Bolten's mind. The cheddar biscuits didn't sound too bad, either, with perhaps some carrots and broccoli as a side dish. His first instinct was to gravitate toward the chowder and lobster, but he reminded himself of the dinner they had had scarce nights ago. He listened and waited alongside Shandara for Ulrik's recommendation.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Ulrik considered for a moment. "This time of year the salmon is always good. If you're considering shellfish, I'd go for the crayfish. The rest isn't bad by any stretch, but the crayfish is about as fresh as it can be. Really, everything they serve here is great, but given how busy it is I'd recommend getting something grilled or baked over a soup or chowder. " The craftsman considers for a moment more. "Oh, and Bolten, if you're more of a meat person, you should ask for the 'sea cow'. It's not on the menu and I don't know whether they've got any right now, but if they have it it's great. It's somewhat like steak, but not quite, as it comes from a sea creature. I'd recommend that for you as well, Ash, if you're looking for something unique. This is the only place you can get that within a thousand miles or more, even the fanciest places in the city don't have this."