New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Campus Hospital

It's no problem." Doctor Fauxfontaine responds. "We don't currently have any corpses here, I'm afraid you'll have the hospital in the Stormdrain District, or one of the ones closer to it for that. As for rashes..." She checks her notes. "Apparently some have been reported in the throat and chest area on some of the victims, but these are a minority. Cognitive function is okay on most of the patients, though if they enter the fever fase the fever itself is often bad enough that it knocks them delirious. Those that recovered don't mention any lingering issues beyond a general feeling of fatigue that lasts up to a couple of weeks, however."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Campus Hospital

"Hmmm, ok. That's good to know. Thank you Dr. Fauxfontaine."

Once we've have finished talking to Dr. Fauxfontaine, Xavier and Z get prepared to view the patients. The good doctor hands them a couple of pendants, the symbol of Sarenrae engraved on the stone. Xavier also casts Prestidigitation a few times to provide them with simple masks and gloves to wear while examining.

As the doctor leads the two students to the patients, Xavier lags slightly behind Z and begins reading his reference guide, preparing himself for the examination.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Studying to give myself a +2 circumstance bonus to Knowledge: Nature. It will take (1d4)[1] rounds, though if I need to do it right before the check, I'll edit to say I reference it then.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

The next four days go by in a feverish blur for Bolten in his workshop. Once he immerses himself in the design process for this excavating drill, the entire world falls away. He loses himself in accounting for all of the little parts and everything seems to just fall together neatly onto the paper like well-oiled gears. Halfway through the design process, Bolten is even inspired to install an internal gyroscope in the machine to help further stabilize it.

But he's not content to stop there. No, once Bolten looks sits back and sees that this idea could work, his body moves of his own accord to the workbench. It's not enough to see his mental image on paper; he wants to make this idea a physical reality. With tinker's goggles set over his eyes, Bolten sets about building a miniature prototype drill with the concerted smaller drillbits. Late into the night, Bolten finally sits back and admires his work. He holds up the contraption to test the wheels and small drill crank to ensure that they rotate properly... which they do with downright buttery smoothness. A radiant grin stretches his black beard. While not the prettiest thing that he has ever made, there is no doubt in Bolten's mind that this is some of his best work yet. After going so hard for four days, Bolten doesn't even have the energy to break out his special (and very small) stock of wine or ale to celebrate the occasion. He falls right into bed after cleaning up and sleeps like the dead.

Bolten awakes the next morning and places his model prototype into his backpack, being careful to point the drillbits up. As tempting as it is to scurry through the crowd with the device held firmly in his hands, like a babe sharing a drawing with a parent, Bolten doesn't want to put up with all the staring. It makes him uncomfortable. He walks back to the curator's engineering workshop and asks someone who looks official, "Er, excuse me, where do we take our design submissions and prototypes?" The question leaves his mouth hesitantly, making him feel like an idiot for even having to ask.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meredith wakes up slowly, aware that she's overslept. Again. The previous night was a late one, spent putting the finishing touches on her new wand of mage armour. We may not be students any more, but I guess I'd better see about getting some more Sleep Shortener from Z. What is the time now, anyway?

As if in response to her question, the clock tower outside begins to strike. One...two...three...four...five...six...seven...ei ght...nine...ten...eleven...twelve. Noon. Great. Half the day wasted. Meredith gets dressed quickly, and rushes off to collect her rather meagre stipend for the week. Only 50 gold pieces are not going to be enough for even a single day's work, so she decides to check the noticeboard and see what people are offering to pay for. Her eyebrows rise at the bank's message, and she's seriously tempted. It sounds quite exciting. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a wand of invisibility and (she rolls her eyes) the whole point of going to the noticeboard was because she doesn't have the money to make any more items yet. Making a mental note to look out for any adventures where magic missile would be useful, she looks over the other notices.

Sewers...ew. Finding a way to dig them out might be interesting, but there are probably other people working on that. The shipyard offer sounds like a more interesting challenge, and one where she'll not be competing so directly with people with more money. Hmm. A new kind of ship. Yes, she could certainly try something like that.

Meredith hurries back in the direction of a library, muttering to herself as she goes. "Let's see. We'll need some kind of watertight material. Lightweight. See through, if we can, that would be great. And something to make air. Isn't there a spell for that? Then all we need is something to allow it to move. No, obviously sails won't work. Still half asleep. Need coffee." She turns aside from the library in the direction of her favourite cafe. All she really needs at this stage is pen and paper, and she has plenty of that. She finds a table in Julieanne's Brew, orders herself a late brunch, and starts working.

Show
    Do we get a 50gp stipend this week? If not, then the stipend she collected is the 50gp I had left over after buying equipment.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-01-24 at 02:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

The Campus hospital

"Yes, thank you," Z said after frantically scribbling to make sure to get anything down: "Do we have anything on vector of transmission, how the disease reacted to the usual alchemical treatments and magical healing, or on what the distribution is for the progress from first symptoms?"

He feels happy seeing at Xavier's enthusiasm. It was a good call to bring the fellow human in on this.

They leave the examination mostly to Xavier with both themselves and their familiar trying to be helpful by pointing things out. They'll also cast detect magic to see if the disease is magical and well as pull out a vial of Psionic Ichor from their back, hold it close to the patient, notice if it's bubbling, and put it away.

Show
    Z aids Xavier to give +2 on whatever check is needed to examine. Z's familiar also aids Xavier to give another +2. Z uses guidance both on himself and Xavier to give them +1 to any skill or save made within the next minute.
    Psionic Ichor is a DnD substance that can be found here. The interesting detail is that when it's in the presense of psionic auras it bubbles but with no heat.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-24 at 05:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The Light's heart hospital

Zeal is not a stranger to odd looks, habitually ignoring them, and presses on through the city to her intended district. As much as she would like to entertain strangers on the street, she must stay focused and work hard to prevent a plight on the harvest festival. The doctors in the Stormdrain streets could very well spread through the city if the disease is not swiftly brought under heel, and the day the city steals her fashion is a sad day. She observes the few people in the streets rushing to return home. Disasters always hurt the most vulnerable. By the time she reaches the hospital her coin purse is five gold lighter, and a few people’s day a little brighter.

She watches the sister talk to the street doctors. Dehydration. Coughing. Fever as well. The largest hospital in the district being stressed is an ill-omen. She leans to the side to spy on what the sister is giving the doctors. She recognizes the holy sysmbol, may the gods be with the city, but the blessing is more interesting to her. She side steps to avoid bumping into the doctors as they turn around to leave and approaches the sister for a conversation.

She gives a shallow bow with a black feathered pin on her chest and a vial of angel radiance in her hand to provide some dramatic lighting. "Good day, sister Magnolia. I shall make haste with the introductions. I am from The Artificery Society. Call me Zeal. I am an alchemist and am here to help in anyway I can. Please, tell me what you know about this illness.” Zeal listens.

She has questions as well if they weren’t already answered. “Has the cause of the disease been found?” The hospital may have the most current, local-based information. “How does the disease spread? What have the clerics and priests divined? Are any races being affected differently?” Dwarfs are resistant to poisons and that could be valuable information. She has requests as well. “I would like to talk to some patients if that is permissible." She can find the info herself. "Do you have a room so that I might perform an autopsy?"

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Diplomacy, Influence Attitude
    Take 10: 28 Diplomacy
    You can change the initial attitudes of nonplayer characters with a successful check. The DC of this check depends on the creature’s starting attitude toward you, adjusted by its Charisma modifier.

Succeed– If you succeed, the character’s attitude toward you is improved by one step. For every 5 by which your check result exceeds the DC, the character’s attitude toward you increases by one additional step. A creature’s attitude cannot be shifted more than two steps up in this way, although the GM can override this rule in some situations.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-01-24 at 02:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara's Home

In the few short hours Shandara spent laboring away, she had come up with quite rigorous proof that summoning specified types of objects and materials within a certain bounds was indeed possible. Power invested into the spell was broken up into several distinct categories: how complex the search criteria were, how thorough the search algorithm was, how many temporal units the search algorithm was allotted, how much substance there was to move, and how far it moved. She showed it was also possible to set up boundaries that redirected the search algorithm and that it was also possible to search one or more pre-specified, enclosed areas instead.

Satisfied with her work, Shandara left the scripts on her desk to dry and went to rest. First she bathed, and after feeling nice and fresh, she slipped into a comfortable robe and headed to her bed chambers, which was the darkest room in the house. She jotted a few things down in her journal pertaining to the day's events. Unlike the proofs she did which were in Common, her personal thoughts were in Elven. Finally she settled in and began to trans.

---

Out and about

After resting, Shandara had a light breakfast. Then she collected her things and prepared to head out. It was pretty much the same outfit as 'yesterday'. Or rather, earlier that day. It was afternoon now. She stopped by the Official Royal Campus Store (ORCS), where copies of books considered common and fundamental knowledge for all manner of fields were sold, as well as other essential tools. It even had a small study area and beverage/snack area as well. Though all the academia supplies were reasonably priced for students and official members of the society, the beverages were not.

And then, after purchasing some extra sheets of parchment, Shandara continued on her way to the archives, where she hoped she would find some example proof-of-concepts for her summoning idea.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-25 at 05:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

The campus hospital
    "We're not entirely certain yet." Doctor Fauxfontaine responds to Z's question on transmission. "If it was airborne, It should have properly broken out of the Stromdrains district by now, but we only have sporadic cases. If it was something in the water, then we'd have been able to pintpoint one or more wells as the origin, and though we have been looking there isn't a clear source. Curative spells, especially those focussed on fighting diseases do show promise, but there are few enough in the city that can cast those, and they are only partially effective on those in whom the disease has progressed. In particular, if the disease hits the lungs in earnest spells aren't guaranteed to save the patient." The doctor gives her explanation as she leads Z and Xavier through the hospital to a series of rooms set far back.

"This is where the four worst-off patients are kept. We've also got a dozen more with only mild symptoms that we are keeping in isolation to mitigate the risk of spreading."

Show

The patients here ar kept in separate rooms. they are two humans, an elf and a half-orc. one human and the elf are suffering from a heavy fever and are pretty much unconscious. The half-orc and the other human are both breathing heavily and coughing a lot. They do seem conscious, but barely, and it's clear just about all their energy is currently going in staying alive. Detect magic is picking up some faint traces on all of them, but its not strong enough for the disease to be entirely magical. Add a spellcraft to whatever rolls you where already going to make (might I suggest heal and knowledge(nature)) to know more.

Light's heart hospital

A slight smile plays around sister Magnolia's lips at Zeal's introduction, but her face quickly returns to what seems to be its natural state of a slight frown. "We haven't gotten to finding the cause yet. Several of the society doctors have been looking into it, but so far they don't seem to have much of a clue though." She shrugs. "Your people do tend to know their stuff, so if we had a bad water supply or something as simple as that I think they'd have found it already. It seems to affect just about anyone that lives here. Slightly fewer dwarves, but they tend to be more hardy than the otehr races, so that's not much of a surprise."

"We haven't been able to divine much about this disease yet, but..." She thinks for a moment, then lowers her voice. "There's a small hint of magic to it. Not so much that the entire disease could be attributed to being magical, but enough to suggest some kind of interference with the natural process. Please keep this to yourself though, the last thing I need is people to start accusing each-other of having made this disease. We'd have a riot on our hands sooner rather than later, and that won't help anyone."

"You're free to look around, observe the patients and ask questions, but please avoid bothering the patients and the doctors. We've also set a room aside for the members of the society to check the bodies of the deceased, but we expect you to be respectful, and return the bodies to a presentable state for burial afterwards." She hands Zeal a pendant. "Please wear this while on hospital grounds, but return it when you're leaving. We've got enough to supply our doctors, but not much more than that." she then waves her inside.

Show

The hospital beyond consists of three large rooms that fill most of their respective floors (the hospital is three floors high) and are filled with neat and orderly rows of beds. About 75% of them are filled with patients in fairly bed state, with doctors and priests wearing robes similar to that of sister Magnolia hurrying between them. Most of thema re in similar states to the four patients in the campus hospital (check the OOC spoiler earlier in this post for more details), but not everyone is in quite that bad of a state.

The room for performing autopsy's is in the basement, next to the morgue. I'll provide you with more details if/when you decide to go there.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara seems to be admitted to the archives without trouble, little fanfare, and nobody following her. At least for today.

After spending several hours researching designs, going out for some lunch (technically dinner before restaurants closed), she returns to the archives, ready to attempt to put everything she knows together into what should be a cohesive spell.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I will use investigative mind to help with this. Since you say it will take several days, I can cast the spell each day.

(1d20+15)[33]

(1d20+15)[18]

Shandara works through the night in the archives, and when morning arrives, she decides to stop for the day, and going back to that cafe she likes before heading home.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I imagine her schedule will be similar to this over the next few days so let me know if something happens?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Light's heart hospital

Zeal smiles underneath her plague mask. Though, the fleeting happiness fades, and she speaks as seriously as the topic deserves, “The Society is devoting themselves to do everything they can to help the people. There has been a call to action in the campus to investigate and seek any avenue that may assist the district, no stone left unturned. The people’s health and happiness are most important to the city and the Society. The Curator of Biology, Ralph Curnow, is personally handling the matter of the disease.” She assures her and verbally recommits to helping, “We will all do what we can to aid you.”

Zeal turns her ear towards the Sister's whisper. She listens then nods at the dire information. “I will use the utmost discretion; consider the matter locked between two stone lips.” She motions her mouth being locked. “Wild speculation and rumor will only cause more suffering than what is already happening and hinder our progress to returning the district to normal. However, such information is very useful for us in moving forward.” She sincerely says, “I appreciate your help, Sister Magnolia. We must come together during these trying times and give each other hope.”

“I will keep my rabble-rousing to a minimum and avoid causing the staff trouble. Everyone already has their hands full without an energetic jumping bean in the hospital. After I finish a round through the wards, I will move myself to the basement.” There is a somber as the dead are discussed. “The dead entrust their bodies to us, and I will fulfill the small role I play in their lives with the greatest care.” Zeal takes the pendant and examines it. “Thank you, sister Magnolia. I will return the pendant before I leave for the day.” Zeal holds the pendant in both hands and prays, “The Dawn brings new light.” She puts the pedant around her neck and enters the next room.

Zeal stays mindful not to block any doctor’s path. She finds a patient she is capable of helping and assists them in getting water. A dry and cracked mouth is probably similar in pain to baked earth ‘skin’. She politely talks to the patient, taking notes in her journal, giving them some personal attention, and asks for their experiences and history. When done, Zeal sneaks a peony out of her clothes and leaves the flower with the lady. She repeats the process, with small toys and dolls for any sickly children, and tries to lighten the doctors’ load at the same time. After she visits each floor and better understands the patients, she finds a doctor to question as well and aids them to counteract her distraction. She feds that doctor’s patient a yellow Bodybalm drink.

She steps aside away from the commotion to examine her information. Any information on the outbreak could be surprisingly useful. She feels like a detective trying to solve a mystery in one of her favorite novels. Who knows, a single clue may solve the case. She questions her information for insights. Who fell ill first? Where did they live, pray, and work? Had any of them traveled or used the same stable recently? There are so many possible connections in their many varied and beautiful lives. If she doesn't have any insights that need immediately followed up on, she will retreat to the basement to continue thinking and to find the room the hospital has readied for autopsies.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Diplomacy, Influence Attitude w/ the people she interacts with

Diplomacy, Gather Info while talking to the patients to get useful info

Bodybalm used
    Detect Magic used

Spellcraft, Identify the properties of a magic item using detect magic on pendant
    Take 10: 26 Spellcraft

Spellcraft on Disease
    Take 10: 26 Spellcraft

Kn. Nature on Disease
    Take 10: 25 Kn. Nature

11. - Top - End - #41

SwashbucklerGuy

Xavier cautiously begins to examine the unconscious half-elf, gently gliding his gloved fingers over the body as he looks for any unusual spots or rashes, taking note of the skin's pallor and general bloat. He listen's to the Doc's response, then conjures up a tongue depressor, slowly opening up the elf's jaw so he can examine inside. "Any connections between patients besides the disease and the prevalence in the Stormdrains? Since it's not obviously airborne, that leaves ingestion and contact. Has anyone checked to see if it's magical?"

Xavier periodically checks his books as he moves on to looking over the unconscious human, doing the same things he did on the half-elf.

Show

Gonna take 10 on all of my knowledge checks, hoping that's ok.
    (1d20+1)[19] for Perception to see if I notice anything in the bodies
    25+2 on KnoNature spending (1d4)[4] extra rounds for that +2 bonus
    When someone confirms the magical aura to Xavier; 25+2+(1d6)[4] spending(1d4)[1] extra rounds for reference and a point of inspiration on a KnoArcana check
    24 on Spellcraft

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The campus hospital
    The doctor nods at Xaviers questions, answering the last one first. "yes, we've picked up a faint magical aura on all victims. it's nowhere near strong enough to suggest that the disease is inherently magical, but it does suggest some kind of magical influence on tit. This is kept quiet though to avoid unrest. We don't know why this aura is present, but it'd be only all to easy for people to conclude there must be some kind of conspiracy behind the disease."

"As for a connection..." she continues. "All four visited the Stormdrains for some length of time before coming down with the disease, but that's the only commonality."

Spoiler: OOC: Xavier's checks
    Show

There are nor rashes or similar on the two suffering from a fever. The other two show some mild rashes in the chest and throat area.

knowledge nature: You get a pretty good idea of all the symptoms. The main symptoms seem to be diarhea, coughing, and in two of the cases here cases a fever. The other issues that you've heard mention, such as headaches and diziness seem to spring from dehydration being caused by the disease causing its sufferers to lose a lot of liquid. What seems to be a bit odd to you is that the disease seems to hit two separate parts of the body, being the digestive tract and the lungs. Many diseases tend to only primarily affect one part of the body, with all other symptoms being the result of something going wrong there.

Knowledge arcana: You have heard of magical diseases in the past, but these tend to be extremely effective and deadly, as they're generally designed to kill a lot of people very quickly. Think things like a plague that wrings the liquid out of its victims in a manner of hours, or renders them delirious as it whithers the victims brain. You have however heard of one incident in the closing days of the age of conquest where a disease was used by one of the empire's enemies that wasn't quite as deadly, and even somewhat similar to what you're seeing here, though still a lot deadlier. It was called Blacklung and attacked it's victims lungs, making them cough up blood and eventually killing a portion of its victims, though it 'only' killed about 1 in 5 (most other magical plagues are far more deadly, closing in on 80-90% mortality). You can vaguely remember there being a couple more peculiarities to it, but you'd need to dig into the archives for that.

Spellcraft: N/A (you'd need to see the aura yourself to try to analyze it).

Light's heart hospital
    The morgue is a quiet and cold place. The outside warmth doesn't seem to penetrate here. A significant number of bodies are laid on tables along the wall, all clothed in simple clean linnen. As Zeal enters she's passed by a small group carrying one of these bodies out. The group is quiet, with several crying softly. The body they're carrying is most likely a relative.

At the far side of the morgue is another room, it's opening closed off by a curtain. Inside is a smaller room with two surgical tables, both occupied by bodies. Three doctors in similar clothing as what Zeal is wearing are inside. Two of them are working on the corpses, while the third is asking questions and making notes. Based on their voices, one of the doctors working at the tables si female, while the other two are clearly male. Their stature suggests they're human, elves are some variant of half-human.

"There's a lot of blood in her lungs. This is most certainly the cause of death." The man working on one of the corpses notes in a deep voice.

"She was suffering from heavy coughing, was she not?" The doctor making notes asks. His voice betrays a deep weariness.

The male doctor with the deep voice checks a paper attached tot he table he si working at, then nods. "Yes, sir. That's correct."

"And the coloration?" The leading doctor asks.

"Dark, like the lungs of someone that has smoked heavily, though the information we've been able to gather about her doesn't suggest a history of tobacco use." The deep-voiced doctor replies.

"Alright, thank you, I think..." The leading doctor's voice stops mid-sentence.

"Sir?" The other two doctors ask almost in unison. "Maybe you should..."

"I'll be fine for a day or two more, I know my limits." The leading doctor responds. "This confirms the pattern. I don't think we'll need to perform any more autopsies on those that died due to the coughing. Annerose, what..." He only now notices Zeal. "Yes? Can we help you with anything, or did you come to offer assistance?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-27 at 11:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Early Morning at Julieanne's Brew

It was a couple days into Shandara's work. After spending a whole night referencing things and formulating a spell in the archives, she decided she would leave a bit early when the first rays of dawn filtered through the windows, as she was making very good progress, in her opinion.

She packed up her things and headed to Julieanne's Brew, only to find it quite crowded. Oh, right. This was the 'morning rush'...

She sighed inwardly and pulled the hood of her silk cloak down further, gazing mostly at the floor as the people in front of her waited their turn and others milled about like aimless chattel.

Finally, Shandara was able to buy some tea and a tasty omelette with mushrooms and other nice things, and she managed to claim one small table which, to her discomfort, was mostly in the middle of the establishment.

I should have just went home, she thought to herself, not particularly liking the feeling of being surrounded by so many people. There was something still a little awkward about it.. all these surface dwellers happily going about their business, completely oblivious to a horrible, wretched, alternate life they could have been living instead. It was a life Shandara had witnessed, a life she even was a part of. Yet here she was, sitting here, in what was practically a utopia, as if absolutely nothing was wrong.

Well, to be fair, it would probably be worse to be surrounded by other drow instead. At least she was pretty sure there wasn't poison in her drink. So anyway, Shandara was sitting at a table with a lost, faraway look. She brooded as her tea brewed, and thinking about the spell she had been working on was hardly enough distraction.

14. - Top - End - #44

About halfway through Bolten's intensely concentrated design efforts, he woke up as the sunlight shined upon his face in bed. It would have been so easy to just pretend that the light didn't exist, but Bolten deliberately left the light alone so that it would stir him out of bed in the morning. His habit of going until he ran out of energy sometimes had negative repercussions like throwing off a healthy sleep cycle. The meticulous work on the drill schematic, while highly fulfilling and going exceptionally well, was draining him quite a bit. It was a bit too much to ask that he get right on it this morning. Porridge did not quite stir any bursts of energy at the thought of breakfast. It wasn't often that he thought this, but... Bolten needed a break. A chance to stretch his legs, be around other people, and eat something different. And he knew just the place...

By the time that Bolten made it to the restaurant, it seemed absolutely packed. There was a strong temptation to turn around and go home, but a dwarf's growling stomach knows neither retreat nor mercy. With polite patience, Bolten waits in the line until he can finally get a real breakfast: a plate of sunny eggs, bacon, sausage, lightly cooked toast, and a cup of black tea. As the dwarf took his breakfast and looked around the restaurant, he was disheartened to see that there was not an empty table in sight. He was ready to sink into despair when his eyes fell upon a familiar face. Shandara the dark elf was sitting by herself at a table in the middle, looking particularly miserable in the midst of all the people and noise. Bolten could hardly blame her; he either went early to pick up his supplies or waited until the mid-morning to avoid dealing with crowds. There was another chair at her table, however, and Bolten was feeling a little bold today... if it could be called that.

He approached the table and coughed politely to get Shandara's attention. "Er, pardon me, miss, but do you mind if I sit in the other chair here? There's not a seat to be had anywhere else in the restaurant."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-01-26 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looked up at the sound of the familiar voice. Or, at least, she was pretty sure it was familiar. It was rather hard to tell with the din of everyone else chatting around them.

"Oh. Um..."

She looked around the establishment a bit, as if she needed to reverify the fact that there just wasn't any empty table. Well, perhaps one was opening up soon, but it was filled with dirty plates, cups, and some leftovers.

She turned back to look the dwarf in the face before hesitantly saying, "...alright." Her voice may have seemed reluctant, but she was already moving her plate and cup closer to her, making room for Bolten's food and drink. It was a pretty small table, after all.

If it was anyone else, like some random stranger, she likely would have politely declined. But she knew Bolten. Sort of. And it had been a while since they worked on that commission. Hm. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to catch up, see what the other was up to. Come to think of it, she recalled seeing him at the Engineering Curator's office a few days ago.

Shandara says nothing for a while, just sipping on her tea. She wasn't sure exactly what to say, but giving him a chance to settle in and start eating his food was probably a good idea. After a few awkward moments of silence she says, "So.. anything of interest you are working on?"

16. - Top - End - #46

For a moment, Bolten thought that Shandara was going to say "no". He didn't know what he could have done next if that had happened. Bolten breathed a sigh of relief when she finally gave permission. "Oh, thank you! Er, don't mind me. I'll just sit here and be quiet and eat my breakfast," he tried to reassure her. The dwarf digs in happily, but with more manners than expected from his kind. Bolten used a knife and fork to cut up the food on his plate, even the toast.

He was in the middle of sipping his hot morning tea when Shandara asked her question. Bolten started a bit in surprise, preventing himself from accidentally sending a bit of hot tea down his windpipe. While wiping his mouth with a napkin, Bolten considered the question. It was an unfortunate fact of life at the Society that plagiarism sometimes happened and Bolten was rather proud of this idea he had thought up to help solve the pipe installation problem. Azure eyes looked across at crimson ones and Bolten was reminded of who was asking the question. At the very least, he had worked with Shandara and she had proven to be an honest partner. They had both given credit where it was due when delivering their final product to the noble. Their efforts to compliment each other had been cut off by the exasperated noble, who had thrown them their coin pouches and told them to leave in quite uncouth terms.

The dwarf finally answered, "I have been trying to help with the sewers problem they're having in the Stormdrains district... at least, in a fashion that I can help." While he sounded more confident than his usual conversations, his tone was regretful as he lamented his own limited experience. "I don't know anything about diseases or biology or healing and while I have studied engineering theory, I'm afraid that I don't have much to offer in terms of sewer design to help with the contamination."

Bolten shrugged before taking another bite of sausage. He chewed and swallowed before continuing, "The one thing that I have been able to think of is a way to get around the problem of potentially demolishing the district to install the new sewer piping. I think I have a possible design for a drill that would allow us to excavate those tunnels in a more cost-efficient manner than simply throwing magic at the rock until it disappears. I know, very easy for me to say that as I'm not a wizard, but these pipes need to be installed relatively soon if things are to get better. We just don't have enough capable mages on hand that could perform the process fast enough for what the people down there need."

Taking another sip of tea, Bolten wiped his mouth and apologized. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I? What about you? I saw you in the engineering workshop the other day. What's your idea for how to handle this problem?" Bolten gave Shandara an encouraging smile, interested in what she had to say.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-01-26 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

While Bolten took a bite of sausage and chewed, Shandara quietly said, "Mmm. I think I have the same sentiments..." Of course, she was more into magical studies - if Bolten even knew that - and jewelry crafting. She was, at best, a beginner in the field of engineering. She dabbled a bit and learned some basics, but she just wasn't confident about designing a whole Sewer System.

She listened as Bolten went on about the whole problem, silently and subtly nodding along, and then when he asked what her idea was, a small smile crept across her lips. "It seems we've both taken to helping the cause without actually designing a sewer system, itself. Where your drill could free up labor and magical resources, my idea would.. shall we say, put those resources to better use?"

"Imagine, if you will, a pump. A pump that can draw water from the ground without the water passing through the space between it and the surface. There need not even be a shaft."

She paused to study Bolten's expression. Maybe the idea sounded confusing at first or could have been worded better, but it seemed he had a firm grasp of magical principles.

"My idea, should it prove successful - and I know it will - would drastically reduce the amount of construction and demolishing needed to build a sewer system. Because if you don't need to dig a tunnel in the first place, you don't have to worry about disturbing what is above."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Light's heart hospital

The underground’s solitude typically has a certainly homely quality, but the dead have replaced any normalcy with a glum melancholy that saps at any joy. She hears the sobbing family, winces underneath her mask, and steps out of their way, too late to save their smiles. She clasps her hands and prays that they have better future days. Once the family is gone and can no longer see her, Zeal lifts one of the linens covering a body and glances at the inert flesh that was once a person, still as the ground beneath her. She gently sets the cloth back down. Against her better judgment, she counts the corpses as she walks across the morgue to the autopsy room.

She slips in through the curtain door and tries not to distract those that are working. The open body they are working on immediately makes her turn her head away and want to toss her stomach. A light breakfast was defiantly the better choice today. She can honestly say no one is pretty on the inside, even the kindest people. She slowly turns her head back as they talk. She vividly imagines blood in the longs and dry-heaves in her throat, swallowing down any noise. She snaps alert when the man questions her, and steels herself for those that are depending on her.

She straightforwardly says, “I have come to offer assistance from the The Artificery Society. I was told I could be helpful down here. Call me Zeal.” She small bows as she introduces herself. After the bow, she checks the curtain behind her to make sure they are alone. “From what I have learned, a buildup, “she doesn’t say of what, “leads to death. Symptoms: Diarrhea. Coughing. Fever. Dehydration Symptoms: Headaches. Dizziness.” She walks to the body and examines the lungs. She is silent, but underneath her mask her face scrunches in disgust. After she regains her composure, she speaks, “The disease affects two areas, the lungs and the digestive tract. I came down to learn what you have said.” She gestures to the body, “Would you show me what you found? I’ll need a closer look at the organs to concoct my alchemy.” If they the interaction is going well, she will casually ask, “Where did the hospital get these pedants? I would like to get one of my own.”

Show
    Diplomacy, Influence Attitude w/ the people she interacts with (lead doctor first) 26

Zeal is trained in all knowledges. I doubt most will be applicable. If she gets a chance to look at the organs, she will use another Detect Magic.
    Kn. Arcana 25
    Kn. Dungeoneering 21
    Kn. Engineering 21
    Kn. Geography 21
    Kn. History 21
    Kn. Local 21
    Kn. Nobility 21
    Kn. Planes 21
    Kn. Religion 25

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

The campus hospital

"Definitely elements of magic," Z confirms the doctors statements as he opens his inner eye to pierce the veil and observe magic itself. "Faint auras of necromantic and transmutation".

He takes out a vial filled with green slime, holds it up to one of the patients, and as the slime seems utterly unmoved he puts it away again. "Not psionic in nature so either divine or arcane."

He then consults his notes. "Not airborne, origining from near the sewer systems proper, initial symptoms coughing, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, tiredness, and fever with later stages patients becoming delirious and suffering from dehydration." He is quite as he mulls through the thoughts. "If it wasn't for the magical component and for the lung related issues I would almost guess it to be Enteric Fever."

He then turns to the doctor: "Have anyone attempted a dispel or remove curse on the patients either before or after a remove disease? It's at least plausible that the reason that remove disease cures patients if used early but fails to do so if it is used late is because it removes the mundane part of the disease but that at later stages the body is weakened enough for the magical component to take effect?"

"I'd also like to try to track the movements of the patients. Would it be possible to go through their coins looking for psychic imprints?"
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-27 at 09:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

SwashbucklerGuy

Campus Hospital

Transmutation you say... Hmmm....well for now, I'm sure you're already doing this, but I would suggest you have some Alchemists make you some Antiplague. It won't cure the disease outright, but it should help, at least a little. When you're all set Z, I'd like to get going if that is alright. Thank you for letting us see the patients, we'll definitely be back in two days for observation." Xavier bows his head in respect to the doctor when he and Z take their leave.

As they are walking our of the campus hospital, Xavier turns to Z. "I don't know about you Z, but I am feeling this plague was definitely man made. I'd like to head to the Archives to do a little research, I've got a small theory that I'd like to confirm."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

The light's heart hospital
    "Hmmm, about time we got some alchemists down here as well." the deep-voiced doctor responds. "I'm doctor Nom, also of the Society."

"Doctor Velin, of the Society. Good to see at least some people are coming out here to take a look at the source." The female doctor introduces herself.

"Doctor Curnow." The leading doctor introduces himself curtly. "And that's a decent enough summary of our findings. Something that might be worth considering when you're looking at treatments is that it isn't impossible for this to be two diseases. A disease that generally doesn't do more than inconvenience someone might become deadly if the body has already been weakened by another disease." The other two doctors nod at his explanation. "I can't prove it conclusively yet, but I think it's likely that that's what we're dealing with. The disease attacking the intestines weakens the body, and a normally fairly harmless pulmanory disease escalates into a deadly threat."

Doctor Nom steps aside to give Zeal a better look. The upper torso of the body on the slab has been opened with the rib-cage carefully pealed back to reveal the lungs, which are a dark brown and black-ish color, and even appear a bit shriveled. "Based on what we've seen so far, we need something to help clear the lungs. General fortifiers aren't enough, though they do help a little. If you can come up with something that helps with hydrating the body and keeping it hydrated that'd also be appreciated by the people here." He adds

Spoiler: info
    Show

From looking at the bodies you don't really learn that much more than what you'd already figured out upstairs and what you heard the doctors discuss. Detect magic doesn't show you anything on the corpses. Unlike those actively suffering from the disease, there is no aura of magic to the bodies. The same can't be said for the doctors though. Their clothing seems to have a variety of abjuration wards to them, and their tools are likewise lightly enchanted. This wasn't the case for most of the equipment the doctors in the hospital above had.

Knowledge nobility: In case you haven't figured that out yet, the name of Doctor Curnow definitely sounds very familiar to you (you can reread the lore-snippets I posted in the OOC chat if you need a refresher :P), and you feel like you might have heard of the other two around the campus as well.

the Campus Hospital
    The doctor nods at Z's questions. "We've thrown every applicable spell we have at it. Direct attempts to disrupt or remove the magic aura we've noticed have generally done very little." She shrugs. "It might help a little, but it's not the silver bullet we need."

"I do agree about the similarities to Enteric fever, and we've been treating it mostly the same way with mixed success. However, it has spread too far to be caused by the usual vectors for that disease, though it also seems to be less deadly in most cases, which is something at least. It might be some new variant of the disease though."

She considers Z's last request for a moment. "I suppose there's no harm in it. I can show you their personal belongings once we're done here."

Xavier's suggestion however earns him a frown. "I realize we're in different branches, but those of us in the medical field are well aware of the opportunities alchemy afford, and you can rest assured that we've been using all of the remedies at our disposal."

22. - Top - End - #52

At first, Bolten's brow furrowed as he connected the dots on Shandara's hypothetical example. A magical teleportation system? That would save a great deal of physical material, but the magic involved would be no small feat. Difficult, but sound. What troubled him, however, were the words that followed. Self-doubt began to creep in. Was Shandara saying that her design would render his idea completely unnecessary? Bolten wanted to help the people in the Stormdrains district, but he also wanted to be part of the solution.

A bite of toast gave Bolten time to formulate a reply. He sounded a little... hurt? "I think that your idea has merit, particularly for obtaining water from the wells, but I don't think that magic alone will be enough to do the job. From my understanding, portal magic is just as intensive as large-scale transmutation magic, particularly when large volumes are involved." Bolten held his hands out placatingly and added, "Er, um, uh, you're definitely onto something there, but perhaps a hybrid approach is the best way to approach the overall design process. That way, if something happens to one or the other, the entire system isn't ruined." He looked down and stabbed at his food with the fork, not wanting to look Shandara in the eye. Bolten didn't like the thought that he may have just snubbed her unintentionally.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

One of Shandara's eyebrows raised. Was he taking this personally for some reason? Maybe not, but Bolten seemed uneasy about her idea.

"Well.. I never said anything about accomplishing the whole job with magic alone, did I? Or portals, for that matter..."

She sipped her tea. How did he ever get the notion about portals? Yes of course that would consume ridiculous amounts of energy.

She shook her head again. "On the contrary, conjuration magic has quite the potential to be economical. The trick is getting it to transfer matter that is nearby, rather than just anywhere in the cosmos that it pleases. Anyway, the whole point of such a pump was to transfer sewage across a difficult area where many buildings and infrastructures would be adversely affected. But.. of course, these pumps would need to flow and be drained by conventional means."

24. - Top - End - #54

Yep, there was the snippiness that he had expected. Bolten cursed himself for a fool. Should have just kept his mouth shut...

That was one thing that Bolten never understood about magical theory. Wouldn't it be the simplest thing in the universe for magic to grab the closest instance of an object or being instead of being purely random? Sure, true names allowed for specific individuals, but why would something nondescript like water or stone be left purely to cosmic whims? He set aside his fork and looked up to Shandara in troubled confusion. "I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty understanding. If the pumps are entirely magical and there is no piping involved at all, how can there be flow or draining if the water is spontaneously teleported from one place to another? Are you just talking about when it gets dumped into the river or for the entire network." Bolten was getting the feeling that they were talking past each other at this point.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

The campus hospital

"I see," Z says noting the responds down. "And I take it that Diagnose Disease didn't reveal other vital information as well?"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    "I suppose there's no harm in it. I can show you their personal belongings once we're done here."
    "Thanks you, I appreciate that!"

He turns to Xavier before they reach the belongings and says: "Hey Xavier, I'm going to look through psychic imprints on the coins to see if I can glimpse something about their movements. It'll probably take a while though. Do you want to split up and I'll meed you later?"

Show
    Z goes to the belongings and uses his gloves of object reading on the coins of the patients. He'll track 3 chains back on each coin, dropping them if he finds a target he has already seen on the assumption that it's from the same payment. It's 5 min per coin per chain and he'll spend 3 hours digging through coins from various patients looking for commonalities, resulting in something between 8-12 coins. If these are some of the early victims he hopes to be able to find that they had transactions with the same person.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-01-27 at 08:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara's brows furl, and she even goes so far as knitting them. "There - there are pipes. Of course there have to be pipes and tunnels..."

She sighs and says, "Sorry. It does seem you are misunderstanding what exactly these pumps would do, or what they are capable of. Maybe it would be best if I showed you what I meant, using the map and schematics the curator has provided. Or, perhaps..."

She removes her teacup from its saucer and points at it. "Imagine if this saucer was the maximum range the pump had. The table is the entire district. This edge," she says, indicating the very edge of the table to the right of her, "is the river. Now as you can see, even if the pump was able to attract all the sewage within this area, it still needs to go someplace. There still needs to be infrastructure in place for the liquids and other foul substances to move as normal."

She looks down at her plate and says, "The entire point of my idea was to help get around difficult areas. There just.. was never going to be an entirely magical solution to solve everything."

27. - Top - End - #57

Shandara wasn't the only one wishing for a set of schematics as a visual aid... So the pump was intended to collect sewage from a certain radius area to transport it to a central pipeline? Surely she meant that the entire "table" would be covered by the pump system to displace the sewage into the river outside of town. From the sounds of it, this method won't be used for the entire network... right? It would have been so easy to just ask questions and alleviate all doubts, but Bolten was already embarrassed by seeming idiocy.

Faced with awkwardness, Bolten's usual flight reflex kicked in. He fervently nodded in response to Shandara's assertion. "I understand better now," he assured her, though the speed of the statement made that seem doubtful. Gathering up his silverware and plate, Bolten stood up and grabbed his cup of tea. "Anyway, I apologize if I ruined your breakfast. I'll be taking my leave now." With a slight bow, Bolten set off to return the tableware to the kitchen as fast as politely possible. For all of his haste, one would have thought he was ducking out of the room from a pack of assassins instead of a colleague.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, you're quite alright," Shandara said, though she looked rather confused by the sheer speed with which Bolten was collecting his things. Was it something she did?

She peered around the cafe a bit, wondering if there really was a pack of animals hunting the dwarf all of a sudden. Oh well. Bolten always was somewhat of an odd one from her experience. I mean really, he was the only dwarf she knew of that drank tea.

Her plate was almost empty, so she ate the last few bites and prepared to leave herself, albeit far more calmly.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Light's heart hospital

Zeal says from under her mask, “I came as soon as I saw the noticeboard.” She nods to recognize doctor Nom and Velin. When the lead doctor introduces himself, she says in surprise, “Cura-,” before she can contain her excitement enough to say their preferred title, “Doctor Curnow.” She had heard so many great things about Doctor Curnow, a leader that cares for the people! And, now she gets to meet him in the flesh, his flesh! “Sister Magnolia told me that their had been a room set aside for members of the society, but she had not said that members had already arrived. I have been upstairs examining patients.”

She listens and takes out her journal writes everything Curnow said. She agrees with Doctor Curnow, “I did think the symptoms odd, that two body regions were affected. I had hoped that if I were to treat the disease weakening the intestines effectively enough that I could prevent, or at least lessen, the subsequent pulmonary disease from becoming deadly.”

She had seen enough of the body and looks at the much more palatable plague doctors. After this commission, she is going to have to do some serious relaxation to block out these graphic mental images. She could do without seeing engorged lungs ever again. “When I read your order, I though a thurible might be useful and brought my own.” She pulls it from her backpack and shows him. “It may only help a little with common herbs, but after what I have learned today, I think, I can use it to quickly deliver my concoction to a person’s lungs and vascular system.”

She thinks out loud and lists ingredients. “Moonseed and opalescent feldspar stabilize the lungs.” She does not say those ingredients are also useful in countering transmutation effects. “Powdered silver and iron recover the lung’s strength.” She leaves out how those items suppress necromancy effects. “Aspen bark and white orchids increase air absorption.” Those should also weaken the blood and liquid pooling in the lungs and help oral expulsion. “Lotus breaks the fever. The lungs require the most attention, and ginseng and lavender treat the disease in the intestines. Ginseng and lavender will also heal the lungs.” She takes more notes in her journal. “The difficulty isn’t the ingredients; rather, executing the exact ratios and process will prove hard.”

Arcane Arts & Crafts

Zeal enters the backdoor and wears her third outfit today. She calls out, “Elrah~ I am back! I used clear ear while I was out, so I am a little irritable, not that I could ever be upset with such a cute employee.” She teases her. “Today was like oil and water. The hospital was exhausting, hopeful too with those tough little smiles, but I got to meet Curator Curnow! I eve got to talk to him!” She squeals in excitement. ”I am upstairs for the night. Close the shop tonight, would you?”

Spoiler: Third outfit
    Show

She crosses her bedroom to put her backpack near the window. She grabs her journal and walks back to her alchemy table. The drawers open and a box of shaved bark tinder gets set on top of the desk. Zeal unpacks all the ingredients she listed to Doctor Curnow and places them on her alchemy and artifice desks. Tinder is carefully, lightly packed underneath the crucible on the other side of the room. She repeats the packing process for the retort that stretches across the left side of her desk. A flint and steel spark and the tinder underneath the crucible comes to life. She kneels down, breaths, and slowly exhales on the growing fire. Some twigs are pulled from near her wardrobe, and she carefully inserts the twigs into the flames. It grows larger and stronger. She leaves that fire while she strikes her flint until the retort has a flame too.

She pulls white orchid flowers out of her supplies and cuts the stem and sepal away with a knife. Water pours into the retort. The orchids are examined for any blemishes, damaged flowers removed, before they are inserted into the retort. She grabs her mortar and pestle and silver carvings from her supplies. It's nice to have some of the work done; she was able to convince a silversmith to give her his shavings rather than doing the work of reforging the scraps. She takes a seat. She holds the pestle in her palm and grinds the silver away from her. Her shoulder laboring to the task.

The room fills with a contentious grinding sound as the long task of pulverizing the silver is underway. The retort fogs with steam as it begins to boil, steam escaping out the nozzle. Zeal notes that it is too hot and smothers part of it with a twig. Fog in the chamber lessens and the threat of the orchids burning stopps for now. Vapor cools at the top retort and the slow drip of orchid essence builds in a glass flask. Her chair scoots to the left, and she grabs her moonseed. She pulls a metal filter out from her collection and grabs a pan to put underneath. She drops the moonseeds onto the filter and shakes out any foreign objects. She pours water over the seeds and rinses them clean before putting the filter and pan to the side to dry.

She scraps the powered silver into a small bowl. She wets a towel and scrubs her mortar and pestle clean. She fills the mortar again, this time with opalescent feldspar. She stands to check on the crucible . The fire is burning strong enough for her to add small logs. She stokes it and builds a proper fire. The crucible on top would give a nasty burn at this point. She steps back to her desk. Iron shavings are added to the crucible; it's not hot enough yet but she can leave the iron there for later. She sings as she works, singing a catchy sea shanty. She grabs fresh, not dried, aspen bark from her supplies and dumps it into a bucket. A large thick wooden stick comes off the wall, and starts thudding against the bark in the bucket. The bark is smashed until it turns into a pulpy liquid.

The orchid essence finishes while she ground the silver and pulped the bark. She stokes the retort fire again but removes the retort. The precious, time consuming essence is put somewhere safe on the artifice desk. She cleans the retort with an alchemical cleaner to keep the distillation pure. She adds more water to the device, and this time loads lotus into the chamber. A new glass flask goes underneath the dripping nozzle. She stretches her arm out. The pestle goes in the right palm this time while she tries to give her dominate hand a rest. She crunches down the feldspar crystals with the pestle into smaller chunks. Crunch. Grind. Once the crystal is small enough, she begins the slow grind to turn it into powder. The retort builds to its peek and lotus essence drips into the flask. The clinking of metal can be heard behind zeal as the iron stirs and the alchemical treated wood melts the iron into a liquid. The smoke puffing out the top of the buildings chimney. The crystals turn to powder quicker than the silver, thankfully. She stands from her desk and stretches her arms and legs.

She gets closer to the crucible and warms her toes. Her eyes watching the colorful flames. A firepoker gets picked up. Some type of dry dust is grabbed from her desk, and she returns back to the iron. She very carefully funnels some dust into the iron while using the iron poke to stir the mix. The dust is added over the next twenty minutes before she backs away and closes the furance. The feldspar is emptied from the mortar. The lotus in the retort is progressing well and the essence is collecting nicely. The mortar is filled with large ginseng roots this time. Zeal grinds away at the root until the lotus essence is finished. The ginseng grinds quick but she takes a break to fill in more notes in her journal. She moves the new essence over to the artifice table next to the orchid essence.

What looks like a large tray is brought out from under her bed. She goes downstairs to grab a large mixing pot from the alchemist lab. She returns back upstairs. She adds the mashed aspen bark, the orchid essence, and filtered moonseed to the pot. She uses her mashing stick again to stir it. She mixes the feldspar and silver perfectly before adding it to the mix. The ginseng is added next. She stirs the pot. Once the iron cools enough, she checks to make sure that the iron mixture is brittle as expected before she dumps the warm chalky substance into the pot. She mixes everything together. Just one last ingredient to add, she adds fresh lavender petals. She mixes until everything is consistent then pours the mixture out onto a large tray with strings laid across it. Now, she just needs to wait for the paste to solidify into thurible fuel. She makes notes in her journal and studies her notes. Then, she begins to prepare for the next, better, batch.

Show
    Craft (Alchemy)
    Total 37 = 10 (Take 10) + 6 (Ranks) +3 (Class Skill) + 5 (Ability) + 1 (Trait) + 2 (Masterwork Tools) + 5 (Magecraft) + 5 (Crafter’s Fortune)

Clear Ear Used
    Thurible

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

The light's heart hospital
    "An... Doctor Velin?" Curnow turns to the female doctor after Zeal lists the ingredients for her proposed remedy.

"That.. sounds about right." She shakes her head. "I'm only a dabbler in alchemy, but it sounds like Zeal knows her trade. Though I'm worried about the cost... A remedy made from these ingredients wouldn't be accessible to the people of Stormdrain."

"If it proves effective, I'll ask the court to provide the money needed." Doctor Curnow responds. "This disease threatens the entire city, so the sooner we can stamp it out, the better. I'll make sure they understand that too." He then turns back to Zeal. "Your help in this matter is much appreciated, Zeal. Is there any other information the department of biology could provide you?"