New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Hyrsson Clockwork

"Ah yes, it was just a friendly visit.. as I know Bolten has expressed a willingness to help the spirits," Shandara says with a nod.

Looking toward Bolten she says, "Not quite. I've no idea what to do for them in terms of enchantments. My main reason for being here was curiosity."

Gesturing at the Goliath, she explains, "Vaigr here mentioned a ritual he used that was a weaker version of summoning the animal forms. I would be interested in taking a look at that, as well as studying some of the crystals more closely, and any other notes you said you had. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to find anything helpful, but I am willing to take a look into it."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Coalburner and Hyrsson Clockwork
    "Well, I certainly won't say no to some advice from a fellow expert on all things clockwork." Banbas' announces in response to Bolten's offer of aid. "After we finished our drinks I'll show you some of my most recent designs, and we can discuss your idea as well."

"After our earlier talk, I've already gathered and written down all the information I have on the rituals so feel free to peruse them and share your insights, Shandara." Vaigr picks up a thick notebook from the shelf behind his desk, and presents it to Shandara.

alleyway in the harbor district
    "Ah. Thank you for telling me." Merce responds quietly to the news of the last two rats of the first group. Meanwhile, Misha starts cutting the cheese wheel into small chunks and soon enough there is a small swarm of rats spread out before them, eagerly accepting the bounty of food.

"The shelter you promised, I assumed that is something you wills till need to set up?" Bell asks Aiden, ignoring the food for now. "Any idea when it will be ready?"
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"I'll make it my top priority. That might require a little time for me to gather the money for something substantial, but I think I have enough squirreled away for something soon. In the meantime, I'll bring any food I can to this alley, and keep you updated on that progress."

His smile maintains, even if it dims slightly with introspection. His ideal home might have to wait - he needs, for now, one that will suffice, to fulfil his end of this deal.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Alleyway in the harbor district
    After the cheese had all been handed out nd an agreement had been reached with Bell about when the next delivery of food could be expected the rats all disappeared almost as quickly as they had appeared.

"Professor Hoplum has arranged for some funds, both as a reward for helping us out and not making a massive fuss about this, and to help cover any costs you would have to make." Merce told Aiden. "That should help with arranging for a place for them to stay as well. I'll help as much as I can as well, of course."

"This is going to be a world of trouble." Master Mitoma seemed to have appeared out of nowhere, standing just behind Aiden. Despite her dire words, there was something almost approaching a smile playing around her lips, and there was a twinkle of amusement in the old crone's eyes. "I'm sure you've noticed that these rats have offspring that are definitely a bit more social than your average rat, so if part of the adjustments of these creatures are hereditary... well you two are going to have your hands full ensuring that Vaungate's future overlords are a benevolent lot." the old druid lets out a loud laugh. "Well, with a bit of luck I won't be around for that to become my problem."

Banbas and Bolten take some time to look over the various designs for the clockworks animals. Banbas' are incredibly intricate, almost to the point of being excessive, with things like individual movement for all toes and both tails and necks flexing in all possible directions. Sturdiness of the designs could definitely be improved by skimping on these details, but Banbas explains that these kind of additions actually help the spirits feel more at home in their bodies.

The two of them also discuss Boltens suggestion for a modular design. Banbas is quite enthusiastic about the idea, especially because it'd allow him to try out small improvements and design iterations more easily, though there are still some challenges to overcome. "I'm not sure how to adapt the control system for your idea though." Banbas points out. "We use wires that the spirits can essentially tug on to operate every aspect of their body, but we'd have to figure out a way to bridge the wires between the connections for the modular parts. If we would have to rewire each part after attaching it that'd make everything a lot more complicated."

Meanwhile, Shandara and Vaigr look over the rituals involved in waking up the spirits. Having Vaigr there to explain things is certainly helpful, as at first glance the diagrams and spellcraft involved appears to be an absolutely disjointed mess. As a matter of fact, this impression isn't that far of the mark, as it requires a lot of willpower and faith on the part of the caster to keep everything together. Though this way of casting is quite unintuitive for Shandara, and it makes adding any large-scale improvements a lot more difficult, it does open up a lot of small ways in which the rituals could be adjusted based on more conventional arcane principles to make it easier on the caster, which might allow Vaigr to put more actual power into the ritual without having to worry about holding it all together.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Firbolg in the Playground

While the intricate designs may seem overkill at first, Bolten understands that form is the same as function in this case. If the spirits can be made to be more natural and fluid in their own bodies, that would reduce wear and tear. It simply meant that more work needed to be done up front to keep maintenance down.

After some thought, Bolten suggests, "Why not have standard wiring ports for the tails, heads, and limbs? If the wires can be consistent in their placement inside the body and bundled so that they are all placed together at the entry ports, that would make it a lot easier. You could just slide in the parts and everything would simply line up with a click as the same wiring in the appendages line up with their partners in the main body."

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The Alleyway in the Harbour District

"Funds would be wonderful - very helpful for both out small friends here, and - I'll admit - not a little helpful to me, if I'm about to kick my plans to set up a home in the city into a gallop. We can sort out the details of that later, but I want you to know..." he pauses to look at Merce directly, with radiant, paternal approval in his features; projecting his hand toward her to trigger a natural response to reach out and receive what might be expected to be a shake, but is infact a clasp of her hand between both of his in earnest. "I want you to know that your instinct to spare these creatures, these little people, was right. You were right to spare them; right to feel bad about betraying Professor Hoplum's trust; right to muster the courage to confess to him; right to have assisted all the way here. You've been right every step of the way, and the rats are right to revere you. You've been a force for good in a world which often has very little of it, especially for the least creatures. I want you to let yourself feel good about that." He gives her hand a pat, like he's making a physical gesture to seal in the lavish approbation, then releases it, just as Auntie 'Toma appears.

"Master Mitoma, you made it!" He says with warmth, far in excess of what he has any right to feel having only met the mysterious druidess recently and knowing her almost not at all. "You're right, there may be trouble to come. But we'll encounter it, a bit at a time; and if the city and its smallest citizens are robbed of your matronly watch before the full fruit of that trouble, then we shall all be glad you've taken the time to pass on your fascinating wisdom to another generation, too." He nods over at Misha, dispensing cheese dutifully. "She's been a great help. I think I'll pay her some coin each week just to keep her on retainer for jobs around the city, and for matters with the rats when Merce's benevolent intellect is best paired with someone who can get down on their true level. You've been a blessing too, Master Mitoma; potions, and scrolls, and insight and all. Is there anything I can do for you, before you vanish into obscurity again? You deserve some repayment yourself. And if you fob it off, I'll get you something anyway that will both vex and flatter you." He wags a warning finger at the old woman, his mirth taking on an edge of his own, somewhat more divine sense of mischeif. "Test me, at your peril."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-19 at 04:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

While Bolten is discussing actual clockwork design with Banbas, Shandara is going over the ritual with Vaigr at his very large desk, both frustratingly trying to read and comprehend the writing itself, and listen to the Goliath at the same time. At a certain point she gives up on the papers and just focuses all her attention on his words, until he seemingly has nothing else to say.

Looking back to his notes, she tries to analyze them again, finding the magic principles buried within and a way to better organize them.

With a nod, she says, "Erm. You wouldn't happen to have more parchment in that desk, do you?" Shandara had some sheaves herself. Hopefully it was enough to get something accomplished...

With a keen eye and some concentration, Shandara began transcribing the ritual onto the new pieces of paper, frequently skipping around the cumbersome notebook. The irrelevant bits of information (in her opinion) were effectively trimmed away, and so too were a few redundant images and texts which cropped up.

"I have to admit, this type of magic is quite alien to me, though I do recognize it does in fact exist .. and in many cases, fundamentals I learned about arcane magic still apply here as well," she says evenly, soon after she began this process.

"And I also admit I am attempting to copy a few things I still don't understand.. but when I am finished here..." she trails off in some deep concentration for minutes before realizing maybe she should finish explaining what she was doing. "I am working on transforming the ritual in these notes into something I can understand a bit easier. You should hopefully be able to understand as well, and I will point out the improvements."

"I think at the very least, should you try these small changes and get used to them, you and your apprentice will find find the ritual a bit easier to conduct."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    thank goodness for "restore autosaved content"

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

""Hmmm, it would still require some changes to the way the system works right now..." Banbas sketches out a couple rough designs for the connections for the control wires while talking. "But I think I can make that work. Not every limb design uses the same amount of wires, but if we provide the maximum amount of connections in the body the modular limb can then just interact with the ones that it needs." A smile crosses the gnome's face. "It'll take a while to work out new designs around this, but I think I can definitely make this work."

Meanwhile Vaigr is looking over Shandara's modified rituals. "I... think I mostly get these modifications..." The Goliath then asks for a number of clarifications. Though it is clear that he is no scholar of the arcane he picks up on the theory behind the changes suggested by the dark elf fairly quickly. "I think I'll have to take another look at the other rituals I work with as well. I think I can modify a lot of them based on these suggestions. Thank you, Shandara. I knew it was a good idea to have someone with more understanding than just the rituals passed on by their ancestors look over these."

The Alleyway in the Harbour District
    Merce seems quite stunned at Aiden's barrage of compliments, a blush visible on her face even in the dim light of the alleyway. Master Mitoma on the other hand appears to be a lot more resistant to the bard's charms. "Flattery will get you nowhere with me, young man." She says, as unflappable as ever. "As for a reward... I think I'll keep hold of that owed favor for now. There is nothing I need that you could provide for me at this time, but if that changes, I'll make sure to come calling."

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara smiles a little, perhaps with more self-satisfaction than anything else.

"Of course. Do let me know if it all works out as intended, later. There is still much I don't understand, so perhaps we could revisit the topic later.. when we aren't working on other commissions."

Leaning forward a bit, she asks, "Now then, about the crystals - um, the spirits themselves. Would you mind if I had a closer look at them?"

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aiden's business with Mirabelle, Merce and Mitoma concluded, he takes a moment to speak with the fourth lady M of the gathering - Misha.

"Miss Misha," he begins when he has her attention, holding his hands in the air between them as if framing her face in his own vision for a portrait in his mind. "You've done everything I could have hoped you to do, and then some. I'm grateful, and impressed. You've earned much beyond your pay. If you want, I'll keep you on retainer. That means I'll pay you, say, two gold a week just to be available in the city if I ever need your help communicating with the rats, or things like that. And I'll buy you a pastry every day you show up for breakfast. Oh - and I haven't forgotten my other promise. If I can get a few measurements from you some time soon, I'll have a set of armor for you that'll knock your socks off. The ranger I bought the leather from said it's moonstag rival leather, which I'm told means it's harvested from defeated challenger in a moonstag leadership challenge, out in..." He trails off, flicking his fingers loosely in the air to dismiss the remnant of the thought. "Anyway, it's good, and it's about as nature-friendly as good leather gets. But for today, you can head home and get a good night sleep." He hands off to her the remaining sum of gold for the last day of her employment in the original contract. "I'm going to make sure Merce gets home safely, then get some sleep myself. Lots of big things happening in my world, now; but I'm glad I can count on people like you."

After following through on those promises, and a morning of fiddlin' for the artificer foot traffic, Aiden (and Ambrose) are walking once again to the office of Overseer Evans, at the Eastwharf Granary. When he knocks on the door, blowing out a calming breath, he tries to imagine what kind of man the Overseer, who he has spend very little time getting to know, might be. Will he be so skeptical of this development he will immediately seek another violent remedy - or will he just be happy that his problem has been solved, and offer the same compensation he had intended in the first place?

"Overseer Evans, sir?" He calls past the door, too excited by the events of the night before to be patient. "It's Aiden Sorveaux, your man looking into the vermin problem. I think we've cracked it, but it's... Well, it's going to take some explaining."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-20 at 09:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731

Bolten tries to reassure Banbas. "Yes, it will be a lot of work now, but it will save a lot of headache going forward. I once heard a wise man say that 'invention is an investment of labor'.

Now, are there any spirits that you're having particular trouble in accommodating with a body?"

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

The Eastwharf Granary
    "Ah, the artificer, right?" The old overseer opens the door and motions to Aiden to follow him a short distance outside, to a short bench overlooking most of the granary. He carefully lowers himself to the bench, and motions for Aiden to do the same. "Well then, fill me in on the fruits of your labor."

"As long as you promise to be careful, I don't mind you studying the spirits. If they are of a different opinion, I'm sure they'll let us know." Vaigr responds to Shandara's request. "Please, follow me, I'll show you where they rest."

The Goliath leads the dark elf back into the workshop, then to another door. The door opens up in a very small room, more like a large storage closet than a proper room really. However, the moment Shadnara steps over the threshold she can immediately sense that there is a ***presence to this room, much like stepping into an active ritual circle. The floor is bare earth, and the walls are covered in rough wood-carvings depicting a variety of creatures, like big cats, boars, stags, and even a large eagle-liek creature. Inside the mouth of each of these creatures one of the spirit crystals is set. "Hmmmm, they're more alert than usual." Vaigr says, his voice a respectful whisper. Maybe because of the rituals I performed earlier today, they would have likely sensed that."

Meanwhile Bolten and Banbas' discussion of clockwork continues. "The most difficult one right now is Kiutl. We've tried several times now to make a body for... her, I think, but she's taken to none of them." Banbas informs the dwarven artificer. "The problem is that Kiutl is a bird spirit, and though I could definitely create a clockwork body with wings and talons and all that, making it fly is quite another matter entirely. I've tried a number of things, but anything that allows the body to actually take to the air also makes it decidedly less bird like, which is a bit of an issue for the spirit."

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With a deep breath, the carpenter begins to lay it all out.

"Well, sir, it's like this. When you first spoke to me about the way the rats had once been so crafty they'd ambushed cats and tried to poison the human food, long before they were able to penetrate the new wards, I thought something was up with the vermin that deserved examining. That old mystery I've yet to penetrate - maybe I never will. But I hired on Misha - you met Misha, she's the young druid girl who was snooping after the rats for me? - I hired on Misha to gather information for me, and she didn't disappoint." It's here that he begins to be careful, trying to honor Professor Hoplum by not directly implicating him. "Well, we discovered how the rats were able to penetrate your wards. It turns out there's a small number of rats - less than thirty, I think - in the city that have an advanced intellect. Maybe they came in on a ship with magic artifacts, or they were caught in some kind of supernatural event... The reason doesn't matter at this point. What resulted is these rats have real smarts behind them. Real smarts. Smart enough that, if you can understand their squeaks with a nature-magic potion, you can hold a pretty good conversation. Smart as people. They are people, really. And they worked out that the magic wards on your granary are fear based - they create the illusion of predator fear in the rats, you see. Makes 'em run. But when they worked it out, like anyone else confronted by a fear, they muscle through and overcome it, and once they do it's not so bad. And the other rats - the regular ones - well, they see these smart rats leading the way, and they follow." He alloys a grimace to his smile and makes a placating gesture with his hands. "I know that sounds all quite outlandish and convoluted. But the upshot of it is that there's a small number of very smart rats who are guiding the regular rats through the magical countermeasures you're taking. And knowing that, myself and a few colleagues found a solution that we think solves the problem in the most humane and cost effective way. We negotiated with the clever-rats, and they've agreed not to breach your silos, or to try to sneak in to other food-storage places. And it's my belief that without those leaders helping them through, the normal rats will once again be unable to breach your existing wards." He leans back in his chair a little, and makes a little so that's it gesture, flapping his hat to one side and empty hand to the other.

"So I might have worked myself out of a job with you, sir. It turns out you didn't need an ingenious rat killing machine at all; just a little clever druid work. With that out of the way, I think you'll find your existing wards, and the services those warders have provided you, will once again be sufficient to the task of keeping your goods safe. Keep an eye on your silos and I think you'll see over the next days and weeks that the rats stop getting in. I've no right to demand payment for my services as an artificer, since I've made you no artifice. Simple as that."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods quietly to Vaigr. "I see. Well, I shall try to be careful. Are you able to talk to them directly? Or they with you?"

Well, whatever the answer, Shandara starts off by casting Comprehend Languages. Because that's a spell she had prepared specifically for today, anyway.

"Which one was Muud?" she asks, peering around at the various cat-like carvings. If she recalled, this was the spirit that had a lion body shortly before its hind legs were blown out.

15. - Top - End - #735

Bolten rubs his chin thoughtfully. "That is a problem... Would you mind showing me the designs? I might be able to suggest something if I know what we are working with."

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

"It requires a special ritual to give them an actual voice." Vaigr explained to Shandara. "They can communicate by sharing feelings and emotions if you touch the crystal, but it can be hard to interpret if you're not familair with that particular spirit." The Goliath pointed out a crystal held in the mouth of a carving resembling a large at with ferocious canines. Shandara could just about make out a minor blemish on the crystal's surface, all that remained of the once large crack. "That's the one you saved. I don't know about the others, but I'm certain Muud won't mind it if you interact with them."

"Right, one moment." Banbas hopped down from his chair and went over t a shelf containing a large number of folders. "Let's see here... ah, this one." Banbas retrieved one of the folders and brought it back to the desk. "These are the designs I've made for Kiutl." he opened the folder to reveal a collection of large sheets of paper covered in intricate clockwork designs. "This is the first proper design I made for her." The first sheet he shows details a bird-like form, about three feet high based on the notes on the design. "The first design didn't really have wigs that could move on their own. I rectified that in later iterations, but it was not enough, as the design couldn't fly. I did some calculations, but even if I made the entire thing from wood and mithril I wouldn't be able to make it light enough to fly under its own power."

The gnome picks a sheet from further down into the folder. "So instead I tried this." The designs shows another bird-like form, but this time suspended beneath a large balloon. "I thought it was quite ingenious, if I say so myself, but it didn't matter for the spirit. Apparently she needs to feel like she's flying herself, rather than just being held aloft. And that's more ore less what I'm stuck on. I tried some more variations on the balloon with more control for the spirit, but with no success."

The Eastwharf Granary
    Overseer Evans listens attentively to Aiden's explanation, then takes some time to think it all over. When eh eventually speaks, it is not to address Aiden. Instead he calls over a woman who had been going over a shipment of food that was being prepared to be carted away. The woman is fairly tall, with long brown hair and blue eyes magnified by a pair of glasses. Her clothes are utilitarian, like much of those worn by the other workers of the granary, but they do seem to be of excellent quality, and she carries a clipboard covered in notes in her left hand.

"Did you make your count yet?" The overseer asks her when she has joined him and Aiden.

"Yes, I have. Eight signs, but clustered. Might be as few as two rats, and probably no more than four." She responds immediately, without even checking her notes. "That's less than yesterday and the day before."

"Very well then, thank you Iza." the overseer indicates that she can return to her work, and she hurries back to the shipment she was tallying. "When I contacted the artificery society I was imagining some new wards or traps or a clockwork rat-catcher or something." Overseer Evans finally addresses Aiden. "But what we need is simply for the rats to stop being an issue. The amount of tracks we've seen has been decreasing over the past couple of days, starting the day after the druid you hired started catching some of the creatures. If this trend continues I'd say you've done your job, even if it was in a different way than I've envisioned. How about you drop by a week or three from now? If we're indeed rat-free by then then I'll make sure you get a proper reward."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-01-23 at 03:26 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aiden swivels in his chair to smile politely at the counter - countess? - and then back to Evans; the carpenter's smile growing as the overseer proves to be the fair minded man he had dared to hope; and the report given seems to comport with his hypothesis about the typical rats losing the moxie to penetrate the magic wards. He reaches out to shake the man's hand.

"Well, that's more than fair, sir. I'll come around and check in after a while. If it turns out the problem persists, I'll get right back on it. If it's dried up, we're all happy; and you can let the folks who did the last wards know there's nothing wrong with their designs." He puffs a sudden laugh, spilling over with mirth. "I bet they're scratching their heads, looking over the enchantment, wondering how in the good heavens their wards are getting bowled over! Hahah! But before I go, while I'm here - how much for a sack of grain?"

...and with a bulging sack of grain to feed his newly extended family, the merry carpenter is on his way to see Professor Hoplum once again.

"...And the Overseer's own watchers are seeing a dramatic drop-off in invaders; so everything seems to be sealing up nicely, and I don't expect there will be much fuss to follow. I know this isn't the clean kind of circumstance under which a man of your expertise likes to do his work; but I'm sure you can see the implications of these rats passing on their mental increase hereditarily. Maybe after I get a mechanism set up, you'll be interested in speaking to them. But that's up to you. Either way, they responded well to being treated as equals, and..." He gestures to the Treaty, open on the table between them; with its numerous paw-print signatories. "It seems that your help - particularly Merce's - has put this to rest. She has excellent instincts for the ethics of your field, Professor. Maybe, if you're interested in sponsoring her, she can do her own data collection on these strange new citizens of Vaungate."

Classy in his rustic way, Aiden doesn't even mention the money Merce mentioned - permitting the somewhat egg-faced professor the dignity of offering it spontaneously.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    How much for a sack of grain to feed my hungry hungry rats?
    Rats don't eat much, but there's a few. I imagine they'll go through... what, a sack of grain a week, maybe?
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-22 at 05:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, I may be vaguely familiar with that. Though.. as useful as an empathetic communication may be, it is still extremely limited," Shandara says, remarking after her experiences with having her own familiar for the first time.

"I think, for now, perhaps I may see which of them take a liking to me. But if possible, I would appreciate if you could make some time for that ritual. I would plan to ask.. perhaps some innocuous questions. Like what they think their first memories are.. if they ever think they have thoughts that are not their own, and the like. I suppose, what I would like to do is tap into the nature of their existence, and how they came into being..."

For now, however, Shandara slowly reaches out for the blemished crystal and gingerly picks it up. She may be thinking of something like, Hello, are you well? but perhaps her emotions were only vaguely positive as a greeting, and a bit shy.

19. - Top - End - #739

Banbas's multiple problems with design leave Bolten scratching his head. "Those are some major concerns... I understand that funds may be tight, but have you considered a design that incorporate flight runes into the feathers? Normally, I like a mechanical solution when I can find one, but it sounds like the constraints are more psychological than material.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

professor Hoplum's office
    "Actually, there is one more loose end." Professor Hoplum says with an apologetic smile after Aiden is done with his explanation. "There are still the twenty rats we have for current experimentation. We're still discussing what to do with them, but all signs do point to their intelligence having progressed well beyond the point at which we could reasonably consider them 'specimens suitable for study'. Frankly, these developments have put our efforts to design ways to permanently enhance intelligence to a stop, given the significant ethical issues involved in uplifting creatures. Either way though, could you discuss with the earlier groups of rats whether they would be willing to take in the remainder of the rats we had been experimenting on? We would of course also provide you with additional compensation for the extra burden their care would place on you."

"I was planning on performing that ritual sometime in the coming week anyway, so that my apprentice can interact more directly with the spirits. I'll make sure to invite you to join us then." Vaigr promises Shandara.

When the dark elf picks up the crystal it starts glowing a bit brighter, and she feels several emotions wash over her, coming from the crystal. The first is a slight grumpiness, almost immediately replaced by curiosity, and then a sense of gratitude.

"It's something I have considered." Banbas tells Bolten. "However, I have been told that actual flying enchantments are a rather difficult magic to weave, especially if it then needs some sort of mechanical method for the spirit to control the spell with. Not impossible, but the costs involved would be very high, so I have been hoping to find a different way to do it."

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The carpenter looks briefly taken off guard, but then game enough for the expanding challenge. “I’ll ask them, sure. I think you can have confidence they’ll take them on, though. They’re very community minded creatures. If you can keep the twenty you have for another day or two, I’ll sort that out. And the very next thing I’m going to do is look to procure some land to start building my house - and theirs as part of it, so any contribution you can kick towards that project, well, it won’t be unappreciated.”

Twenty more rats, then. He smiled, but his mind was running to the logistics of it. Presumably they could be convinced to clean up after themselves for the most part; but he’d become responsible for feeding quite a few little mouths. Then again, if anyone understood such overheads, it was the professor who had been feeding such mouths for years already.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, hadn't I given you that, yet?" Professor Hoplum blinks twice, looking slightly confused, then sighs. "It seems it had slipped my mind." He rifles to his drawers until he comes up with a slip of parchment, signed and with a seal affixed to it. "You can hand this in at any banking house in the city. We're providing you with a total of 3000 gold pieces, both as reward and to hopefully pay for any costs you encounter while preparing a home for the rats. If you take on the additional twenty we have we'll add another 600 gold pieces on top of that to pay for any expansion their facilities require. In addition, I've seen to it that our research group provides you with a stipend of 10 gold pieces per week. This is to pay for food and other ongoing costs, but if you find time to record any observations of these rats and send them our way, we would much appreciate it."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aiden blinks. It’s possible he has not understood the value of his decision to help keep the laboratory’s involvement quiet, being a man with no imagination for exploiting such a weakness. But he ends up smiling again, shaking Hoplum’s hand, and experiencing a soul deep cleansing at particularly the perpetual payment. The rats would be okay; he had no doubt of it now.

“I think that’ll do just fine,” he concedes, folding away the docket for later activation. “They’ll be well looked after, and fed. And grateful, I imagine. Thank you so much for your time, Professor Hoplum. I’ll see you soon, once I’ve followed up with Mirabelle.”

With patience, and caution, all the threads are weaving into place; and all that remains is to spend the finishing hours of the day speaking to someone about available properties in the Stormdrains…

24. - Top - End - #744

Bolten had already imagined that the costs would be prohibitive, but it seems like he also underestimated the magics involved, as well. He slumps on the desk, supporting his chin with one fist as he intensely considers the puzzle laid before him.

"Do you mind if I take these home with me? I'm going to need some time to come up with some decent solutions... Might make a visit to the Society Archives for some inspiration. I would leave these safely at home, of course," he adds quickly.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara keeps a little chuckle to herself, though of course those emotions pour through.

Oh, you recognize me now? You're welcome.

Turning to Vaigr she nods and says, "Oh, certainly, I will make some time for it, then."

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, you can borrow those blueprints." Banbas told Bolten. "I don't have any plans for them right now, but if you want to keep them for more than a week or two I'd prefer it if you made a copy and send me back the originals."

Shandara was still getting a feeling of gratitude from the crystal, mixed with curiosity.

"Are you getting anything from Muud?" Vaigr asked the dark elf. "I presume he'd not block you out, but the empathic link can be difficult to understand."

Aesha Domiciles and Dwellings
    The contacts Aiden had gotten through his little charity drive pointed him towards a fairly reputable broker that did business in the storm drains, and the bard eventually found himself in an office just outside the slums opposite a middle-aged half-elf. "Good afternoon, Mister Sorveaux, I am Aesha Silvertear. I was given to understand that you where looking into buying some real estate?" The woman introduced herself and then immediately got down to business.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-01-28 at 10:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Silvertear!"

This statement is about the most common formality the common language knows; yet when he says it, a listener can actually believe he's deriving real joy from the experience of meeting someone new - even special joy, for meeting someone like the listener. He rolls his hat over in his hand over hands as he takes his long, paced strides into the room.

"I am, yes. I plan to organize the construction thereupon myself; but I need a chunk of land in the Stormdrains I can make a home and workshop upon. The quality of the neighbourhood doesn't bother me - I know the place has been hard hit. But something that covers four thousand square feet at the low end is what I'm looking for, if you please."

28. - Top - End - #748

"Just to be safe, I will make the copies tonight and bring them back tomorrow," Bolten reassures Banbas. "Easier for everyone involved and far less risk to you. Just to forewarn you, I will be busy the next few weeks with commission work, but I will ponder over this and see if any solutions come to mind."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm? Oh, yes. I am getting.. emotions.. He seems somewhat curious, but also grateful," Shandara says with a soft smile forming on her lips.

She begins to put Muud's crystal back into its resting spot. "Well, I suppose you have already looked at the actual composition of the crystals up close, with a magnifier many a time? Have you ever, um.. shaved a small piece off the outside? Would that hurt them?"

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

"I've never tried to take off a small piece, no." Vaigr looked troubled at Shandara's request. "Given that these crystals are pretty much their bodies though, I expect it would hurt them, and might have unpleasant side effect. This is not something I want to risk." The Goliath's tone was somewhat apologetic, but also resolute.

Aesha Domiciles and Dwellings
    "Hmmm, that's a sizeable piece of real estate." Aesha picked up a folder on her desk and started rifling through it. "Especially for that area. Normally it would be rather difficult, but given recent events..." She finished going through the folder and got out several large drawings. "I've got two options for you right now, but if neither suit you I can do some asking around, see if there are some other options. First are these two." She showed Aiden two different drawings, both of the same part of the Stormdrains district, showing the demarcations for two adjacent buildings. "A small block burned down a week or two ago after an accident. Some of the inhabitants remained to rebuild, but others decided to take this as their cue to leave, and the land-lord they where hiring from decided it'd be better to sell than to rebuild. These two together get you the area you want, but it's in a bit of an 'L' shape, would that be a problem?"

"The other option I have is this." The half-elf got out another drawing showing a square area bit larger than what Aiden had requested. "This is a little over 5000 square feet. There is a three-story building on it, but it is old and decrepit. It used to hold an orphanage, but if the plague has done one good thing for the district, it is that it has gotten a lot of charity money into the place. Some rich merchant paid to have the whole operation relocated to a slightly better neighborhood, and he's selling off the old building."

"Now, as for how much this will cost you, if you go for the land covered by those two burned down cottages, I'll make it a round 3000 gold pieces. That'll save you a good 600 over buying the two places individually. Now, the old orphanage, I can't really sell to you for less than 4500 gp. However, If you do settle on that one, I can throw in a 300 gp rebate on any costs you make for demolishing the place and building something new, but only when buying goods and services from people living in the Stormdrains. I'll give you a hand finding the right people as well in that case, free of charge."