New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

The carpenter marvels at the pictures; childlike in his interest. He looks for all the world like the kind of dazed country fellow who might actually take one of these trouble properties off her hands! “The L-block is no bother to me. And someone else might be able to make use of the old orphanage as it stands. I’m more interested in clearing and making something out of the burned wrecks.” He taps at that drawing. But then purses his lips, pulling his whole expression thoughtfully askew like he’s reconsidering the whole thing. “Then again, all the burned supply will be useless; whereas there’s plenty of salvage on the other. But if you knock the price down to 2500, I’ll sign for it right now before I leave this room.”

Spoiler: Let’s Make a Deal
    Show
    Take 10 for a total of 25 Bluff/Diplomacy to haggle! 22 if it’s Appraise. He’s lowballing, expecting her to come back at at him having shaved one or two hundred off the asking price.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-30 at 06:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Coalburner and Hyrsson Clockwork

"That's understandable. Even the concept of having crystals as bodies is fascinating..." She nods and puts Muud back.

"Although.. One could argue, the more powerful the magic, and the more energy being stored, the more crystal one needs to contain it. And you did mention that in the past, as animal and shaman died, they grew larger."

"Hm. I'm not sure if there is much else I can do here, aside from casting some other divination spells I prepared earlier today."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

"You might learn more when I've cast the ritual to allow them to talk more directly to you, but be warned, they don't perfectly understand themselves either." Vaigr warned Shandara.
    "It's no rush, Bolten." Banbas replied. "I perfectly understand tat you have your own work to see to as well. Still, any little insight you can share with us about this problem will be very welcome."

Aesha Domiciles and Dwellings
    Aesha consdiered Aiden's offer for a moment. "I'm afraid I can't go quite that low, mister Sorveaux. But how about..." She idly tapped the sheet of paper as she considered. "I can drop the price to 2900 gold pieces, and add a similar rebate offer as with the other location, covering up to 150 gold pieces worth of services and material, provided you buy them from other inhabitants of the district."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Turns out, Aiden’s not a hard sale.

“Let’s draw up the papers!” He says, with a burst of excitement. His first owned home since -

Well. Since he came to the big city. Since the descent.

“Because I’d love to get to work right away, with those locals helping out.”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-30 at 06:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright," Shandara says. "I suppose I'll wait until then?"

"What day and about what time do you plan to do that?"

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Aesha Domiciles and Dwellings
    "I'll have the papers ready for you in the morning." Aesha told Aiden. "You can pay through a bill of credit from any of the merchant banks in the city or directly through cash, though if you go for the latter option, please let me know now so I can make appropriate arrangements, and I'd prefer it if you were to pay in platinum over gold."

"I hadn't set an exact moment yet." Vaigr considered for a moment. "How about dawn, four... no, let's make that five days from now? If you want to observe the ritual in full, try to be here an hour or so early."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2022-02-01 at 10:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara nods again. "I can manage that."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Hmm, we done here for now? Shandara may have a suggestion about the other bird spirit too...

As Vaigr and Shandara return to the office, she picks up some of the tail end of the conversation. She adds, "Hm. In my opinion, I think clockwork designs are simply out of reach for this creature. Why not go with something far lighter and simpler? How exactly did the others interact with the bodies you constructed? By exerting force on some wires?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-02-01 at 02:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"I'll pay by bill of credit, Miss Aesha. Save me lugging the coin all the way here, and you lugging them all the way to the bank. Seems downright wasteful of energy, when a slip of paper can accomplish the deed. I'll be here tomorrow morning, bright and early, and let me tell you, ma'am - it's been a pleasure doing business with you."

And away he goes, striding into the street to lead Ambrose back to the stable on the Society grounds - via the nearest merchant bank on the way. It's just as well he held to the guide rope of the old warhorse, on the way: otherwise, he might well float off into the sky, levitated by his own satisfaction.

Spoiler: OOC!
    Show
    Well, that's all neatly tied off then, for now! He'll go by literally the nearest merchant bank to open an account, deposit the letter of credit from Professor Hoplum for 3000gp, and withdraw a letter of credit for 2900gp, for tomorrow's transaction. We don't have to play those scenes out, unless you want to!

Otherwise, that's a fair bit of activity for one day, I think he'll go home, get some shut-eye, and go to fulfil the transaction tomorrow after the normal routine.

If we want to do a chance-encounter for Aiden to meet Bolten and Shandara somewhere on the campus the next day, I'm also open to that, too. Sow the seeds for later collaboration, and all.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

"That's the short version of it, yes." Banbas replied to Shandara's question. "It's how I designed them to be controlled, at any rate. When presented with a well-fitting form they sometimes show control just a bit finer than what should be possible with the methods I defined, but it essentially comes down to the control wires. Why do you ask, did you have something in mind?"

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara crosses her arms briefly, organizing her thoughts, and says, "I envision something fairly minimalist: a very light wooden frame, and thin material that would grant it an excellent wing span with much surface area. And I suppose you could add more minor details like ways to adjust the tips of the wings, the tail, talons to perch..."

"Hm. It would be like one of those toys I've seen flying around. The children try to throw them into the air on a windy day, and they float in the air. Um, what was that called again?"

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

"You mean like a kite?" Banbas considered for a moment. "It might work out, weight wise, but I worry a large enough kite would have the same issue my balloon-based solution has. And if we make the body light enough and something causes the kite to come crashing down, which I've seen happen with some regularity, that would risk the crystal inside. Well, I suppose I should look into it anyway, there could very well be something to this idea, but there's a couple of obstacles that need to be cleared first."

The Stromdrains district
    There was a bit of an odd energy to the Stormdrain's district. People seemed excited and even a little happy, but at the same time nervous, like a minor festival was going on, but at the same time a storm was approaching that everyone was bracing for. The mood wasn't that strange, given the districts recent history though. A dangerous plague had swept through only recently, and though it had been a little while now without any new outbreaks, the worry that the disease would return still remained.

Aiden's search for his plot of land seems him weave his way through a number of narrow alleyways before eventually coming across the blackened timber remains marking his newly acquired real estate. Some blackened timbers remain, and a foundation of stone is visible below it, but the rest of the building seems to have been burned down. Construction seems to have already started on the parts of the block that the bard did not buy, but his land seems mostly untouched. Oddly enough, some brave and hardy plants are popping up among the ruins, despite the approaching winter.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

"Kite? Hm. Yes, I think so... Well, I would imagine that your spirit would be able to stabilize itself in the air and recover should something happen. But perhaps an emergency feather fall spell is all you need," Shandara says.

She looks at Bolten and asks, "You've already talked at length on the subject, yes?"

13. - Top - End - #763
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Yes, well, Banbas has shown me multiple designs and nothing seems to fit the spirit's needs. A thinner material for the wings could be a good idea, but we need something more sturdy than paper..." Bolten strokes his beard in thought. "I know that you're probably sick of hearing about this by now, but what if we made the wings out of spider silk instead of paper? Still just as light, but it would be a lot stronger and tear less easily. The actual skeleton, however... I am genuinely stuck. I cannot think of anything light enough that can also withstand impact, not even mithral." He pauses as a thought occurs to him.

"Maybe darkwood might fit our needs. The elves use it as substitutes for metal in many cases. I'm not used to making wooden cogs and such, but maybe I can do a few test designs to finetune the swelling and fit. And this is just another thought, but... I have heard stories of elven woodshapers that can grow wood into specific shapes. If getting a 'natural' fit is important for the spirit, then perhaps it might be better to go with a route where the skeleton all fits together cohesively instead of piecing it together from different parts." The dwarf finishes with a shrug. "That is beyond my area of expertise, but I'm not afraid to try something new."

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara shrugs and says, "All good suggestions. Though I still can't help but feel you're trying to make something far too much. What I had in mind was more like a skeletal frame anyway. I assume it just wants to be free and fly around, right? Regarding impacts.. ideally, the body isn't going to be ramming into anything. It's not meant to be sturdy. It's meant to be light and float through the air."

She adds, "Again, for this particular spirit, I don't think you need cogs and clockwork. All you need is a light frame it can manipulate."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The next two days pass for Aiden in a blur of delight. The joy of profitable labor resonates strongly with his bones; and once he has sifted through the ashes and found no ghastly surprises, he whistles merrily as he goes about his day prying off decent boards, ordering them by length, mapping out his domain, in his mind; imagining what will be. On the way back to his accomodation on the Society's campus, he stops by the alley where the rodent bargain was struck, and cheerfully announces to the creatures he assumes are hiding in the fish-smelling crates and garbage that tomorrow he'll be making a place for them, just like he said; the one over in the Stormdrains, the district that had the plague so recently; and his property is the one on the third street off the main. They can't miss it - it's the one burned to scrap on that street.

He makes this announcement to the empty air and hypothetical listeners like a crazy person, and then he and Ambrose head home. Another day, another performance - the fact that he is now charitably busking for the restoration of the district he lives in has presently escaped him - and off he goes again to the burned house. With a stop on the way at a supply yard, and a stack of boards lashed precariously on Ambrose's saddle, he spends the day throwing together a respectable shack, lockable door and all; with the grain sack inside and a few gapped boards so the rats can come and go as they please. That night, his body aching from his first 'big' build in a while, he sleeps the sleep of angels.

But the next day, the third day, he is late to perform. He is late because he is diverted scribbling out a notice, copying it a second time, and then pinning those notices to a couple of the job boards near enough to where he has gained his reputation for performing. They read as follows.

"Fine Mechanical/Arcane Solution Required for a Small Job

I find myself in an unusual circumstance, and needing a specialized designer to create a divine. Will likely require small mechanical parts, in addition to a novel variation on an otherwise common, and simple spell. Nothing illegal, but discretion is required.

Please see me, Aiden Sorveaux, any morning on the steps near the notice boards. I am the one with the fiddle."

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm..." Banbas considered Shandara's suggestion for a moment more. "I think I see what you mean. Instead of relying on clockwork at all, use the wire system to manipulate a rudimentary wing, which would then glide on the wind. It's certainly not something I'd considered before. I'll have to discuss this with Vaigr and draw up some designs. I've never really made something like this before, so it'll take a bit of research on how to make it work, but..... It's certainly worth putting some time into developing."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara smiles lightly. "Ah, I think you understand now. And I wish you luck with that. It might not be too difficult to get a feather fall enchantment somewhere around the crystal's housing, just in case. Though I feel it would be more difficult to ensure it does not accidentally go off..."

"Well, if not.. I suppose you know who you can ask for help." Her lips curl up again and she looks at Bolten. "Is there anything else on your mind?"

18. - Top - End - #768

Bolten remains skeptical, but he has no concrete reasons to put forth. This is simply out of his area of expertise. If Banbas is happy with the suggestion, who is he to say anything?

"Nothing that comes to mind, really. I'll need to take these schematics home and copy them before I can offer any constructive suggestions."

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

After talking a little longer about nothing in particular, Bolten and Shandara took their leave from Vaigr and Banbas, heading back home or to their work spaces, depending on their own schedules.

the Eastern Embassy
    The next morning, Bolten finds himself once again in the embassy district. This time, the gates to the embassy of the eastern civilization he'd read about are open and the dwarf finds himself in a small garden surrounded on three sides by the embassy itself. Signs in the empire's common tongue and a language the dwarf did not recognize pointed him towards a waiting room in the western wing of the building. In the room a clerk was sitting behind a desk, while several merchants, or maybe minor nobles where currently waiting for their appointments. Rather than chairs or benches, everyone was seated on small cushions on the floor, which was covered with a mat seemingly made from a kind of reeds or thick grass.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The carpenter stands with his hands on his hips. A light, sweat-stained singlet covers a chest; though the build of the man within it is so unremarkable one might be surprised only by the vigor that he has worked to create. And he has worked, and he has created: a shed, wooden and simple, sufficient for a few shelves upon which he can stuff some blankets and put some food for his unique tenants. He smiles down at a handful of ratty spectators, and offers them a thumbs up.

"It'll work for now. Let your friends know. And if all goes well, there'll be a better barn in a month which will be warmer, and roomier. For that, I just need..."

His bright eyes track across the afternoons sky to the street behind him; and the silhouette of a neighbour he hasn't met, passing the idle hours on the stoop of their own residence. The carpenter approaches, hand extended to shake atleast five strides from close enough; his goodwill as obvious as the smile on his face.

The next three weeks are a warm, pleasantly folded blur for Aiden. Every part of those weeks is a feature of mortal life he loves. Meeting new people. Hard, manual work. Problem solving. Problem solving and hard manual work with new people. Shopping for hardware supplies! And, for that matter, sleeping the sleep of the blessed. By the end of it, he looks up at the building, crumbling and uncrumpling in his hand a sack that once contained three thousand gold pieces. It's a fine enough house, if one can forgive the odd unparallel joist, or gap between foundation and sleeper. And he can forgive those things! And he does forgive those things. And so, to Aiden, the house is perfect perhaps because of the imperfections that are the result of hands less skilled than his. Warmed by that thought, lightened by the loss of all his wealth, he spends the rest of the day nailing up tarpaulins over the open ceilings of the lower floor, for now the only floor, of his house. Tomorrow, he'll go play his music near the notice boards as normal; then he'll visit Overseer Evans, to see if the efforts to solve the rat crisis have completely borne out; then he'll invite Misha over to visit the rats in the barn, and also to show her the armor he's almost made for her, to get her fitted for the final stitches; and then, after all that is done... he will sleep, in his own bed, in his own house, in the greatest city in the world.

This, absolutely, is the life.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

After some idle chitchat and bidding farewell to the odd pair, yet another odd pair leaves the offices and workshop of Vaigr and Banbas.

As planned, after some dinner, Shandara heads over to the Society archives to try to figure out how to solve the water conundrum in an arcane fashion. She knew there must be some avenues, all but certainly within the school of conjuration, but various approaches. For starters, rather than relying on the blessings and good will of a deity and strong personal conviction, one could also likely tap into the plane of water itself. Though anything related to crossing planar boundaries was no small matter. Perhaps, water could be drawn only from this plane of existence itself, or by creation, which was likely to be limited.

A funny thought also occurred to Shandara: transmutation. One could, theoretically, turn one form of matter such as stones and air into another form: water. It was an idea to play around with, but remembering the preliminary sketches that she had seen of Bolten's work, whatever this was would have to be compatible with some kind of steam engine.

She spends most of her time that evening looking for ways to create water with an arcane method. And she uses a spell to help in her study:

Spoiler: Creatus Aqueous!
    Show
    using investigative mind

Spellcraft: (1d20+18)[23]

or

Spellcraft: (1d20+18)[19]

Finally, late into the wee hours of the morning, she spends some extra time looking into the issue of modifying a silence spell to be very very small, and filtering out certain types of noises - in particular mechanical/metallic clicks and whirs..

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+18)[20]

After a very long night of studying and designing, Shandara worked up quite an appetite. She was very hungry, that was for sure. And moreover, she had some business to attend to this morning as well! After having a bit of pastry and tea at Julieanne's Brew, she also ordered one of those burrito/wrap things. Filled with eggs and hash browns, and cheese and ham, it was actually quite appealing, and more importantly, something you could just eat as you went.

And that's what Shandara was doing, as it was already morning and she needed to meet with the Midnight Guard. Shandara would be walking or hiring a carriage there...

Wait, no. That was supposed to be the next day, wasn't it? She had to admit that sometimes it was difficult to keep track of days accurately, since she rested in the middle of the day for everyone else. Yes.. this was most annoying. And she had already walked like half a block with a half-eaten wrap in hand.

Oh well.

Instead, Shandara turns around to head back to the center of the campus. She will go to the center of the grand plaza just to see what is happening. Of course, she was probably going to be too busy to help with any of the notices that were posted, but at least it wouldn't hurt to stay somewhat informed.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

On just such a day, having checked on his own posted notices and seen no interest manifesting in the last few weeks, that the impenetrably optimistic Aiden has settled down in his usual spot for his usual performance. His operation has a somewhat professional veneer, now; graduating slowly over time from a man baffled to have money thrust at him for playing, to one who bring his own stool, and carved wooden bowl to catch the coins, and a large sandwich board hung on wide straps over Ambrose's back, explaining that the Stormdrains district's various causes would receive all the donations. There are a few folks who bring their breakfast over and eat it under the public serenade as part of their own routines; and such folks often have silver to spare for the bowl. He takes requests for the hour or two he spares for this daily duty, dispenses a seemingly inexhaustable series of fly-by-greetings with people whose names he has remembered but who offer mostly faint smiles in response.

And this day, like many before it he rounds off the day's ditty's with a shift towards the painfully soulful; and putting bow to string, he closes his eyes, and a faint glimmer of celestial mist winks and spirals from the humming strings. In the negative space provided by those silvery vapors, the faint impressions of a trio of archons are present; having set aside their trumpets and taken up violin, and guitar, and banjo, to play their sweet accompaniment at the call of the strange man from the forest village of Tantamere.

Spoiler: OOC Actions!
    Show
    Taking 10 on Perform generally; but also, meta-specifically, to impress Shandara. 15 for the skill, plus 2 for masterwork fiddle, plus 3 for Songbird, taking ten comes out at 30. And let's go ahead and say it's an old favorite.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

The Royal Artificery Society Grand Plaza

Shandara had finished her own breakfast completely by the time she arrived at the bustling scene of the grand plaza, the big fancy monument still there, telling time, stars, and weather, and almost ignored. There was the announcement board as well, which Shandara was more than passive in checking, as there wasn't any rush at all to do so.

But music. Music wasn't something heard here often. Especially not good music. Her eyes following the notes to find the source, she saw a somewhat familiar face. Ah, this was.. Aiden... Though she had trouble remembering his surname, if any. Still, such a man was hard to forget, especially with her sharp wit. She couldn't help but notice how practiced and well-versed the strings were played. It seemed they wafted from the man's instruments effortlessly.

She also noticed the sign about the Stormdrains District and his collection bowl. Most peculiar. Just what was this man planning on doing? If the sign was even truthful. While she had no reason to distrust Aiden, she honestly had no reasons to trust him either.

Shandara waits for a lull in the music, which ironically would never truly come until Aiden finished off the session with his sorrowful, if not passionate tune.

"Hello, Aiden," she says. "Into charity work now?" she asks, raising a brow, which of course conveyed some skepticism but also a chance at redemption via explanation.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aiden is just settling the fiddle back in worn and treasured case, when Shandara's voice draws him out of the ritualistic simplicity with which he packs up his routine. His eyes flash with delight once he looks up and pairs voice to skeptical features: this is a face he has seen, but never had occasion to meet. The raw opportunity in and of itself seems to produce in him a canine-like, half-stupified appreciation for life before he shakes his head a little, grins loosely at his on silly delay, and gestures to the board Ambrose wears, as his half of the charitable operation.

"Well, when I got to town, I just started playin' here because I felt like the folks to and fro might like some music. Never played with people who had spare silver in their pockets before, and when people started giving me coin I had little clue what to do with it. Felt almost theft to keep it, since I was plannin' on playin' anyway. So." He gestures again to the sign. "Now it feels right again. Aiden Sorveaux."

This introduction, rising with hand extended toward the drowess, despite the fact that she obviously knows his name. A big, calloused workman's hand, clean but rough, offers its most formal available shake.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

The Royal Artificery Society Grand Plaza

Shandara continued eying Aiden for a bit, but it seemed there was no dishonesty or ill intent. The few times she had come across him before, as far as she could accurately recall, he always seemed a friendly and happy-go-lucky sort. Perhaps far too talkative and gullible, though.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I think we were going on the assumption that players in this game have at least vaguely known or heard of each other.

"Mm. I guess that makes sense..."

Since it seemed the player was introducing himself again, Shandara made sure to try to remember the surname this time. She responds, "I am Shandara," with a slight nod.

After an awkward pause, she looks down at his large, rough hand and gingerly extends her own delicate hand to barely touch, before quickly withdrawing.

"Uhm, I.. sorry," she mumbles.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With the collapsed handshake, and even the vocal mixed apology, Aiden does instinctively the best thing someone can do for such an awkward moment - he plows onward as if everything had been executed perfectly, seeming to fail to notice any hiccups in the exchange. His hand, abandoned swiftly by Shandara’s tepid brush, turns to snap his fingers as she gives her name, and his eyes brighten.

“Oh! Yes, Shandara, I have heard of you!”

This, as if the name, and not the fact that she was the only drow on the campus, was the giveaway. Immediately, his eyes gleam thoughtfully. “You’re an enchantress, yes? Could I-“, he pauses to look skyward and drags a hand back through his hair, as if he can hardly believe his luck, and needed a breather to cope.

“D’you think I could pick your brain about a project? I’m a practical hand, and once I hit spellcraft things get a little dicey for me.”

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Royal Artificery Society Grand Plaza

"Oh?" she asks, perhaps wondering what exactly he had heard. Hopefully it was only good things.

"I may be a bit busy..." Shandara began. She had her own set of problems that she was trying to solve, and it felt like she was making little headway. Though perhaps she had the time to hear Aiden out. After spending hours and hours in the archives already, it would probably do well to step away from the issues she had already attempted to solve.

Looking back into the exuberant man's hopeful gaze, she sighed. "Well.. I guess I have a few minutes. What are you working on?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-02-16 at 07:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

The Eastern Embassy

Bolten had never felt so out of his element. Thankfully, the signs still had Common writing, but it was clear that most of the waiting persons were at least mildly important people. It made him feel self-conscious about his simple mission here. He had done his best to wear a nice blue tunic under his vest and replaced his thick work gloves with finer black ones. Ignorant of custom and foreign etiquette, the already socially anxious dwarf simply resigned himself to sitting down and waiting on a cushion.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Great! Great." He radiated gratitude so profusely it would trigger suspicious instincts, but provide them nothing to settle on. He hung his fiddle case on Ambrose’s burdened saddlebags, and took down the guitar case from the horse's other side before settling down again, new instrument in his lap, eyes distant as he explains to the magical prodigy before him.

“Well, it’s a little secretive. But I took a job, and ended up responsible for the welfare of some little creatures. Little animals, I mean, who’ve by certain means become intelligent enough to understand common. But only druids and rangers know how to speak to them, what with the absence of vocal cords and whatnot. I've been given a scroll of Speak to Animals to make a solution, but I thought… is there a way to invert the spell, and then apply it to, say, a little weigh-sensitive device so the rats- so the creatures can just step onto a weighted plate, and receive a temporary enchantment? Speak to Humanoids, I mean?”

It’s quite a ramble. He backs over his own efforts to be discreet completely, so that he’s hidden almost nothing from the woman before him. But as he speaks, his fingertips are plucking away softly at the guitar strings; thoughtlessly arpeggiating and meandering in a serene if uncommanding tune that seems to be an integrated part of the way the man processes his thoughts: out loud, to music. And the music, mysterious as it was, certainly seems comfortably to settle into the cracks of a busy mind, not to distract it like a more demanding peace.

Spoiler: OOC Actions!
    Show
    Aiden is using LoFi Beats to Study Artifice.

He’s using Inspire Competence on Shandara for a +2 Competence bonus… and Bestow Luck to give her his daily +8 Luck bonus to a single roll.

Aiden is doing this all subconsciously, if he’s aware at all. But Windstruck, feel free to use that +10 +8 for either a spellcraft check to immediately glean an insight into the much more complex and challenging thoughts going on in Shandara’s mind! It’s probably funnier if she gets inspired about her own stuff and bolts than if she spontaneously invents the Rat-translator majig!

This, of course, is all subject to it DeTess thinks the rolls are appropriate. Inspire Competence doesn’t seem like it’ll work for long duration study sessions but might be useful for flashes of insight.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-17 at 07:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

the Eastern Embassy
    Several minutes pass in silence. The other visitors to the embassy sat in silence while the clerk worked away behind her desk. When she finished writing on a piece of paper, which Bolten now noticed she was doing using a brush, rather than a pencil or inkpen she folded the piece of paper. Not just down the middle or in threes, as one might when folding a letter before sealing it, but rather into an intricate shape. She worked quickly with practiced motions, and before long the sheet of paper had turned into an intricate paper bird. Which then took flight, leaping from her hands and disappearing deeper into the embassy.

Several more minutes past, and then another woman, a noblewoman by the style of her dress entered the embassy and approached the clerk. They exchanged some words, too soft for Bolten to hear, and then the woman took a seat like everyone else, and the clerk started drafting another message. Before she was done however a paper bird arrived and unfolded itself on her bureau. She took a look at the message, then motioned for one of the merchants to approach. She exchanged several whispered words with him, then the merchant left, going deeper into the embassy, presumably to attend whatever appointment he had come for.

What was noticeable was the silence that had reigned in the room during all this. It wasn't really oppressive, but more like the silence in a temple, the feeling of it being rude to speak above a whisper.