New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Arcane Crafts and Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    "Sometimes I wonder if you wouldn't make more working with fashion than with alcehmy," Z responds with a wink.
    She jokes, "Should I give it a go sometime? I can't say I care about making more money, but I do enjoy designing here or there. Perhaps, in the future I'll become a designer when I grow bored of artifice and alchemy." She smiles, "I already do something of both though."

"No, it's perfect. If I ever need to torture someone I'll send an order right away."
    She laughs. "I'll keep that in mind. Sadly, we don't sell baked goods, truly heart-wrecking, but I can point you towards a good bakery if you are ever interested."

"Oh congratulations!" Z says: "Did you already pop the champagne or is that scheduled for later?"
    "We did a little celebration at the shop for the occasion, despite the cause. Life does not stop amidst tragedy. And, the celebration hasn't stopped either. I'll definitely do a larger celebration once the plague is cured."

Val spreads it's rainbow coloured wings out wide, giving the crowd an opportunity to admire it's magnificence. It doesn't look approving at the attempt of petting but is willing to tolerate it. At the mention of honey it rolls out it's proboscis ready to accept the offering.

The duo follows after Zeal into the meeting room. While Zeal is away Z pulls out his psionic ichor from his backpack and uses it to test for psionics. Afterwards he opens his senses in order to detect magic, focusing particular attention on any auras of a divinative nature. Some would call it paranoia, others adequate caution.

After Zeal comes back with the tray Z thanks her and helps himself while Val flies down to accept the tributes. "Delicious, thank you very much Zeal," Z comments in between bites. Once they are done with the formalities he begins explaining his issue.

"Imagine a hypothetical situation in which I was tasked with making something that could save a lot of people but the only way that it would reach those people was if it was distributed in a way that would allow me to deny involvement under truth compulsion. Possibly by someone pretending that they invented that something themselves. In that imaginary situation, do you think that you would be willing to get involved?"
    Z does not detect any psionics or magic in the room from Zeal.

She smiles at Z thanking her, "I am glad I found something that suits your tastes better." She asks, "Is Val happy with the honey?" Zeal takes a seat and pours her own water.

That's quite the hypothetical. What type of trouble is Z in? "Z, you are an interesting fellow. You didn't tell me you came here to play games." She chuckles nervously. She poses like she is thinking. "Hypothetically: Saving lives is important. There have been endless discussions on what should be done to save a person. If you are willing, let's expand and define this problem. What are the consequences of the first party being caught? Is this problem limited to the existing formula, or can the formula be changed? Hypothetically, could the first party enter into a legitimate deal with an observing third party but then develop a case of partial amnesia?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Society Campus Metalworking Workshop

Shandara had gone back home with the pipe in tow, keeping the rolled up schematics in it with some success. After resting during that midday, she set to work figuring out how she was going to do this on a copper pipe, rather than on a flat circle.

Doing it on the inside was just too difficult, but fortunately the cylindrical shape of the pipe meant a cross-section of the pipe was a circle as well. The hard part was making the magic runes tiny enough to fit in the small diameter, combined with... well, simply etching into copper does not make a magic rune. Despite her years of working with jewelry, this was a completely different application of metal working, and she needed to bring the pipe to a society workshop to use their tools - only she needed to come back tomorrow, as the facilities were in use.

To fill her time that day, Shandara bought the necessary magic ingredients she would need and worked on the other versions of her enchantment over the night. The next day, she came back to the workshop at her appointed time but felt pretty stuck. All she really had were her attentive eyes and dexterous fingers, good for working with smaller tools and jewelry, but everything was just too damn big. She didn't know what half the tools in this workshop even were. And she knew how to use even fewer of them. This was getting very frustrating for Shandara. How was she supposed to get the gel in the etchings if she could not make depressions in the copper in the first place??

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal
    "We did a little celebration at the shop for the occasion, despite the cause. Life does not stop amidst tragedy. And, the celebration hasn't stopped either. I'll definitely do a larger celebration once the plague is cured."
    "Feel encouraged to send me an invite once you get around to that"

"I am glad I found something that suits your tastes better."
    "That makes two of us," Z says grinning wide.

"Is Val happy with the honey?" Zeal takes a seat and pours her own water.
    Z looks at the butterfly which pauses from drinking to give an approving nod before going back to drinking. "Looks like it"

Z, you are an interesting fellow. You didn't tell me you came here to play games.
    "I endeavor not to live dull lives," Z replies drily: "And I'm quite serious."

What are the consequences of the first party being caught? Is this problem limited to the existing formula, or can the formula be changed? Hypothetically, could the first party enter into a legitimate deal with an observing third party but then develop a case of partial amnesia?"
    "Only so many specifics can be shared while hypothetical stays hypothetical. Let's just say that the first party really doesn't want to be caught and that it doesn't matter what shape or variant of the product that is used but only whether distribution can be tracked back to the first party."

"Does that kind of stuff really work?" He pauses contemplatively and then his smile widens. "Feeling up for a legitimite deal?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The magic/psionic scan is actually for whether any NPCs are spying on them.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-09 at 06:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    "Feel encouraged to send me an invite once you get around to that"
    "It's going to be a party. Lots of people are going to be invited." She jokes, "I'll see what I can do to get you an invite. You'll want to wear your best pieces."

"I endeavor not to live dull lives," Z replies drily: "And I'm quite serious."

"Only so many specifics can be shared while hypothetical stays hypothetical. Let's just say that the first party really doesn't want to be caught and that it doesn't matter what shape or variant of the product that is used but only whether distribution can be tracked back to the first party."

"Does that kind of stuff really work?" He pauses contemplatively and then his smile widens. "Feeling up for a legitimite deal?"
    "Dull is usually synonymous with serious, but this is quite fun. We don't even need to use a game board." She drinks from her cup.

Zeal frowns when Z says he won't elaborate on why this is necessary. She leans back in her seat and thinks about what he is asking, seriously considering the hypothetical.

She assures him, "Yes, it has worked many times." She has seen it in happen in dramas. She smiles, "That's more like it! You know. Hypothetically in order to help the country, I would accept such a deal."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I can only say what Zeal has done, but I can confirm for Zeal!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolten leaves shortly after Shandara, silently proud about his design being accepted and yet... the whole thing has kind of an anticlimactic feel to it. The Society made a very fair offer for his design and even allowed him in on the work, but the pleasant transaction felt so dry and clinical. Bolten normally prefers that sort of quiet tone and air of agreement, but the workshop is the one place that he feels comfortable in. Alive, even! In his imagination, he had expected a real back-and-forth and sense of excitement. He shakes his head, scoffing at his own ridiculous doubts on the matter. Just as he does not operate at the same energy as others, the reverse is also true. Besides, tomorrow morning would come soon enough and they would be on their way to making his plans a reality. In the spirit of celebration, Bolten even treats himself to a bit of wine that night with a toast to future successes.

The dwarf normally hates rising before the sun, but he does not dare miss the deadline to sign the contract. At this point, not even a flight of dragons would be able to stop him from getting to the workshop! After the contract is signed, Bolten offers to start helping by creating enlarged schematics of the design to make it easier to manufacture the parts. After all, with such a large machine, so many parts of different sizes were required that it would be a headache to keep track of them all. By splitting up the schematic itself into distinct components that could be separately manufactured, that might make it easier on the metalworkers to shape the cogs. It would take time for them to gather the materials and he could make himself useful in the meantime.

It is such an involved process that the work takes up all day and well into the next when Shandara enters the metalworking workshop. Bolten gives her a shy wave and a smile before going back to his sketching. He tires to mind his own business, but the sound of mild metallic scraping and Shandara's grunts of frustration catch his attention. Setting aside his quill for a moment, Bolten turns on his tool and asks the young drow, "Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you need help? Even just a second pair of hands?" His question is hesitant, worried that he might offend her.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Well. This was not what Shandara expected. She thought maybe she would just be able to pick out the perfect tool and effortlessly pound in the inscriptions she needed to. Instead, this must have felt like the hardest puzzle of her life. A significant reason for this was likely the intense physical elements involved with it.

She thought she finally had something figured out, with two sets of vice grips stretched out to their maximum capacity and barely holding the pipe to a table. Wielding a straight pick tool and a rubber mallet that still seemed too large for her small hands and frame, she came down on the butt end of the straight pick, but it refused to stay straight and instead veered off, making a nasty scratch in the finish of the copper pipe instead. The blasted pipe had also come loose. Again. Shandara sighed and tried to wrestle the damn thing back into place when a familiar voice caught her attention.

She turned to see Bolten Cogturner. Huh, she had never even noticed he came in. What was he doing here anyway? Oh, right.. the drill? His question struck a chord with Chandara, though. She actually did feel pretty embarrassed; any other drow would either not be caught dead struggling with manual labor like this, or they would actually know what the hell they were doing.

"Oh. Bolten. I, uhm.. no, I..."

The vice grip behind her fell completely off the table with a loud KRAANGKLE, which caused her to jump.

After sheepishly looking behind herself for a moment she turns back to Bolten with a defeated sigh and finishes, "I.. don't even know if I'm in the right place..."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

A kettle hisses from the other room and Zeal excuses herself. She reenters carrying a tray with a tea kettle, cups and saucers, sugar cubes, and cookies. She sets the tray down next to Z. She pours tea, “sugar?” and serves everyone biscotti. “You can give me the formula rights.” She walks over to the shelves and pulls a scroll from a pile.

She takes a seat and lays out one of the Society's per-written legal documents for Z to familiarize himself. “With your research, I can make the,” she thinks of a name while mouthing out the syllables, “Noctebulexpon without difficulty.” She tells him, “I will make the concoction my own and change the formula should the need arise. I will do what needs done to help the people.

“About you forgetting, I understand you have personal matters you do not wish to discuss. Very well, I will not push you on the matter since your intentions are noble.”

“I can write the contract to accept your research. The amnesia elixir can be made today. After you are prepared, I can meet with you to accept any physical goods related to the formula you wish to give me. At that time, you can sign the contract, and you can forget we ever made this deal. If all goes well, you will have everything you wanted. I will find a way to give you the commission money, minus costs. Perhaps, I can anonymously donate it to your workshop.”

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

Z just stay sitting down. He felt that his mind should be on overdrive, examining all the ways that they currently could be spied on or all the ways that he could be caught later on. But his mind was just blank. It was actually happening. He was actually going to go behind Ronce. The thought was staggering and left him unbalanced.

"3 cubes please," he replied.

He eyes the legal framework for a quick glance and then looks up to see the expectant gaze without having read it. "Look Zeal... I'm going to forget everything about this contract after I drink the elixir. If you put extremely favourable terms for me in the contract I'll have no way of enforcing it without the knowledge that it exists and if you were out to screw me over this is more than enough. You need a contract to feel safe and that's fine. I'm taking a leap of faith here and will sign whatever contract" He could only hope that he wasn't making a mistake.

"Your terms does sound rather good. All of the your proposals are good to me."
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-13 at 12:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Poor lass... Bolten hops off of his stool and inspects the length of pipe that is the source of her frustration. "Well, let's start with the obvious question... What are you trying to do, exactly? A forge might be better for your needs, maybe? I don't know; it all depends."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-02-13 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Location

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I..." Shandara begins, before giving up on words and pulling out a sheet of parchment with a circular design of arcane symbols carefully drawn on it.

"I need to engrave this, into that," she says, first pointing at her sheet of parchment, then at the pipe, "..so that I can put this into the depressions and form runes."

She held up a small jar of what could only be described as some sort of phosphorescent ichor.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-02-13 at 01:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Looking between the drawing and the pipe, Bolten beams with a smile. "Oh, is that all," he asks as if the problem could somehow be larger. "It certainly helps if you have the right tools." He looks over the pick Shandara had been using disapprovingly and hunts around the workshop before triumphantly holding aloft a similar tool with a slight bend at the base. "Aha, a burin! I use these all the time when I want to make engraving patterns on my weapons and armor. It's how I put on the family crest. Mother always said that a true craftsman signs their work, good or bad."

The dwarf blathers on almost casually while unhitching the pipe from the clamps. "Now, for us to do this properly, we'll need to rotate the pipe around while carving the sigils into the metal. Unfortunately, I'm just not flexible and skillful enough to do such complex lines purely by hand. Any chance you could use some of your magic to levitate this pipe to make it easier to access and flip? It would certainly speed up the process."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

Zeal picks up the cubes with miniature tongs and places them in Z's drink. She gives herself three cubs as well.

"You will forget our tea and the pleasantries we have exchanged, but forgetting they happened does not mean they are immaterial. The present exists because of the past even if the past is forgotten." Zeal holds her tea cup handle with a three-fingered clawed hand. She curiously looks at the hand, zoning out, that only she can see before her hand returns to normal. She smells and slowly sips her tea as she focuses her thoughts.

"The Noctebulexpon will be put to good use. Your faith and the faith of the city is not misplaced." She smiles. "When you receive curious donations for no apparent reason, perhaps, your faith in the world will grow. You may not know why, but you will be rewarded for your good deeds, deeds not known even to yourself."

"Thanks for entertaining my proposal. There is a saying: Write for Understanding. A deal is best made in the heart and on the page." She sips her tea. Her eyes linger on her hand.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2021-02-13 at 05:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara shook her head and quite tersely said, "No."

She looked about and sighed softly, unable to keep her self-loathing due to her ineptness to herself.

"Do you have any other suggestion?"

14. - Top - End - #104

Bolten looks visibly chastised by Shandara's sharp answer. He had made an assumption and accidentally hurt her feelings. Chewing his mustache, Bolten looks away and suggests, "Well, what about, er, hanging the pipe from the ceiling? Same basic effect, though we'll need to find a decent spot in the rafters to hang the chain."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara looked at Bolten rather skeptically. "That seems like it would make things more difficult and dangerous," she said.

"I think we need to keep it steady, no higher than eye level. Isn't there anything better to use than these clamps?" she asked, waving a hand at the blocky vice grips she was trying to use.

"Perhaps we could.. keep the pipe fastened between two work benches?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

"You will forget our tea and the pleasantries we have exchanged, but forgetting they happened does not mean they are immaterial. The present exists because of the past even if the past is forgotten."
    "Sure, and also you will be remembering them," Zeal replied. After a thoughtful moment he continues: "You know, I am actually enjoying this. Maybe once I forget everything about it you'll invite me over for tea one of the days?"

"The Noctebulexpon will be put to good use. Your faith and the faith of the city is not misplaced." She smiles. "When you receive curious donations for no apparent reason, perhaps, your faith in the world will grow. You may not know why, but you will be rewarded for your good deeds, deeds not known even to yourself."

Z snorts.
    "More likely I'll assume that someone is trying to pull my leg. I'll have to leave myself a note that I should expect money arriving from an anonymous donor."

"Thanks for entertaining my proposal. There is a saying: Write for Understanding. A deal is best made in the heart and on the page." She sips her tea. Her eyes linger on her hand.

"Certainly." Z takes a sip of tea. "So which alterations would you like to be in the contract?"
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-14 at 01:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Now that Bolten thinks twice about it, the idea of Shandara trying to hold onto a metal chain with a pipe at the end while simultaneously rotating so that he can work... Yeah, bad idea. Looking around, Bolten's eyes fall on a solution. "Oh, there's some rotating clamps right there! Those should work just fine. Seem to be fitted for pipes, even. Well, shall we get started?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara turns with some surprise, not recognizing what she is looking at, at first.

"Oh, of course. Why didn't I recognize these..?" she asked. Well, maybe she had never seen one in her life before.

The two get to work, a somewhat odd team. They need to reference the sheet often. Shandara's memory was pretty good, however, the labor involved with engraving the pipe was quite distracting, and in any case, it was best to be absolutely sure of what they were inscribing.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Over the course of the next several days, the mood in the city slowly improves. The introduction of several effective treatments, as well as commitment from several wealthy patrons to fund a sewer system has restored people's faith in the ability of the city to contain the disease, and the amount of people dying from the disease has dropped off dramatically, with the pressure on the hospitals in and near the Stormdrains district slowly easing.

With the Spectre of plague receding, people once again start looking ahead to the upcoming harvest festival, which'll be held in less than three weeks. With a renewal of activity in the city also come new commissions, with many relatively minor requests related to the harvest festival put up on the boards in the Society campus, with request ranging from novelty beverages to clockwork effigies for the parade. In addition to a flood of harvest festival related commissions several other more irregular requests are posted as well.

Spoiler: Announcements
    Show

Reminder:
    Though treatments are now available, the Stormdrain plague has not yet been tamed. If you show any of the disease's symptoms head in for treatment immediately. If you have business in the Stromdrains district it is recommended you take a dose of the Jupitas Restorative in advance if you can afford it, as tests have shown it could prevent you from catching the disease for several days after taking it. If you're heading there on official business related to dealing with the plague you can come and pick up a dose at the campus infirmary.

Be wary of fake 'cures'. The curatives currently confirmed to be effective are:
    the Jupitas Restorative: Only take this in advance of heading into the Stormdrains district or dealing with those infected, or when showing very mild symptoms. It is not to be taken by people suffering moderate or worse symptoms!
    Noctebulexpon: Take this when suffering from Diarrhea and general dehydration symptoms
    Arglamcaeli: Take this to alleviate coughing and reduce the disease's impact on the lungs.
    Blackroot extract: take this only in cases of extreme coughing and respiratory issues, when Arglamcaeli either fails to help, or is unavailable. It has proven to be extremely effective at dealing with the symptoms related tot the lungs but it has long-term, sometimes permanent, side effects, most notably a sensitivity to bright light.
    Contest announcement!
    My fellow students of alchemy and the culinary arts, as I'm sure you're all aware, every guild and restaurant in the city seems to want their own novelty drink for the harvest festival. Though there is much to be learned and earned on these commissions, I believe they'll be a bit more exciting with a little contest. On the first day of the festival all your creations can be submitted to me for perusal. I'll arange for several suitable prizes for the best creations, and I have no doubt my official seal of approval will help with your own fame and the sale of your creations.

-Signed, Cirast Overhill, Curator of Alchemy

Spoiler: Commissions
    Show

Streidekker and Sons, Shipwrights, is looking for innovations!
    The Streidekker shipyards is looking for new innovations in the field of ship-design!
    Both full ship designs and smaller inventions are desired. Both civilian and military applications are welcomed.
    Designs need to be accompanied by a prototype or convincing proof of concept. For further details, visit our office in the Harbor district and ask for Manfred Streidekker.
    Goldrow bank needs security consultants
    As you are no doubt aware, a new building for the Goldrow bank has recently finished construction. All our vaults and defenses are now in place, but before we start using the building we want to issue a final challenge to test our security. We're offering a 1000gp bounty to anyone capable of getting into one of our vaults, retrieve the message stored within and then bring it to our primary location in the Silverflow district, within the next two weeks!
    Though our traps and defences aren't lethal under normal circumstances, and our guards will not use lethal force unless attacked, there is still a risk of harm coming to those taking up this challenge. Goldrow limited does not take responsibility for any harm that may befall you while trespassing on our property.
    the above commissions have been posted a little over a week ago. The ship commission is likely to remain up for a bit longer, but the bank job has a clear deadline that is approaching.

Looking to commission a weapon
    I'm looking to commission a longsword designed to be particularly effective against the undead, and one specific undead in particular.

For more details, ask for Captain Eshanel at the Ranger's guild
    Looking for consulting engineer for a sensitive project
    I am looking to acquire the services of a skilled engineer to help resolve a thorny issue. Discreteness required!

Leave your resume at the Gatewatch inn for mr. Greylance, together with your contact details. We'll contact you if we decide we need your services.
    Glass maker's guild commission
    During the upcoming harvest festival we want to show off our craft to the entire city in a way that'll certainly catch people's attention. Innovative ideas are welcome!

Ask for master Mesdag at the guildhouse for more information.
    Treatment for baron Esterwald
    As you are no doubt aware, my father's ability to walk has been deteriorating rapidly these past years. I will handsomely reward the one that can restore his ability to walk as he used to.

-signed, Eduard Esterwald the younger

Zacharias
    By the end of the week a letter from Ronce arrives, accompanied by a sizeable coin-pouch. The letter once again congratulates Z on the ingenuity of his creation, and boasts about the heaps of coin that it has already brought in. The coin-pouch is filled with platinum pieces for a total value of 1000g, as well as several letters confirming the ownership of minor stakes in half a dozen small trade ventures, that together should pay out a tidy sum of about 100gp per week for the foreseeable future. Z recognizes quite a few of these trade ventures as being either owned by Ronce, or at least part of his sphere of influence.

Zeal
    Shortly after you start distributing the cure Zacharias designed, another letter from Octavius Ponvera arrives, congratulating you on your speed in developing a cure to cover the weaker parts of your first design. The letter reiterates that the empire will fully reimburse all costs incurred for creating the two cures, and that they'll increase your weekly pay-out to 1500 gp per week for as long as the plague is going to last for providing the two cures. Though you've got time for your own projects, your shop's entire output is taken up by producing the cures, and will be for the coming weeks at least.

Shandara
    The tests of your enchantment pass without significant incident, though you hear later that mr. Galbic's own test caused a significant mess at the workshop, and the Escribano workshop pays out a 2500 gp share from the total commission reward for the sewers. Furthermore, they offer you a contract that would earn you another 2000 gp for enchanting the various pipes they'll need. This would be about five days work, which they need to be done within the next month (you can refuse this if you want to).

Bolten
    Your drill comes together nicely, and in a test at an abandoned quarry not too far from the city it performs wonderfully as well. The Escribano pays you the agreed upon 1500 gp for permission to replicate the design, as well as a 2000 gp share from the commission reward. After construction of the first full-scale model they don't really need your help for the subsequent creations, but they do ask for a way to easily contact you in case any issues occur during the actual digging for the sewers that they'd want you to look at.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-17 at 10:52 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Z felt his stomach churn as he reads Ronce bragging about how much money he's making on the disease. He eyed the pouch and hides it away in a locket in his workshop, hoping that he could maybe use it for something good later. It didn't feel right to accept this money, especially when the commision he handed off yesterday had given him a nice cushion.

As he walks towards the archieves he looks at the current messages and the stomach churning is back at full force. At least other were able come up with something to challenge the slimy bastard. His face falls at the memory of the failed attempts he made at making a second treatment. He had really hoped he could manage to make a second one, give Ronce the worst and get the other to the market discretely. Oh well, I'll manage to spite him proper another time.

He His eyes gazes over the the rest of the messages and the commisions, and then he moves onwards towards the archieves. He had found a note that he himself wrote and somehow made himself forget. Amongst other things it mentioned that if a secret donation arrived he should just accept it and not look into it, and also noting a few neglected areas of research. The latter was probably intended to distract him for long enough that the mystery of the former would lose some of it's appeal. He wasn't sure that would work but he'd at least cleared his schedule for today and commited to go scavenge the archieve for existing research on the mind and mental magic with a particular focus on memory.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-02-17 at 07:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara agrees to the contract to enchant the pipes they need fitted, assuming the magical ingredients, the tools, and at least one assistant that knows how to properly work the tools are provided. She'll drop by the appropriate workshop at designated times throughout the month to craft the enchantments as needed. Not even including the 2500 gp share, this job would prove to be extremely lucrative. She was quite willing.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Do I need to make more rolls?

When she checks the bulletin boards again, a few more things catch her eye:

The novelty drink contest actually seemed.. fun? It was definitely a change of pace. Perhaps she could try to recreate a rare drink from her homeland? Of course the problem was she wasn't exactly a connoisseur of beverages, alcoholic or not, so recreating some could prove difficult. But hey, if she was able to brew up her own private batch of knockout poison, maybe she could find the right ingredients as well?

Hmm, other commissions... didn't seem very fitting for her. She'd have as much expertise helping an old man walk again as blowing glass - which is none.

Hm. Maybe she could inquire about the weapon commission? If she could create a new enchantment and place it on official sewer pipes, surely she could figure out something with enchanting a weapon?

Shandara would think about it. She did some errands for the day and retired at her residence, thinking on a next plan of action.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane Crafts and Arts

[/COLOR]"Sure, and also you will be remembering them," Zeal replied. After a thoughtful moment he continues: "You know, I am actually enjoying this. Maybe once I forget everything about it you'll invite me over for tea one of the days?"

She entertains herself with her own joke, “This is a very unforgettable conversation.”

“What is not to enjoy? It is an inspired plan,” her family would be proud, “full of daring, risk, and valor.” Her speech becomes dramatic there for a second. “Few will ever be able to say they have risked or dared to go as far as you. Once things have passed, you could write a play.”

She sips her tea and smiles. “Tea’s not bad, but how do you feel about fishing?”

Z snorts.
    "More likely I'll assume that someone is trying to pull my leg. I'll have to leave myself a note that I should expect money arriving from an anonymous donor."

“You know yourself best. I will entrust such matters to yourself. I will obstinate the source, but I can only go so far as put the money in your hand.”

"Certainly." Z takes a sip of tea. "So which alterations would you like to be in the contract?"
    She stirs her cookie in the tea. “The contract would include the full extent through which we made the contract. You giving me the formula is a simple manner, rather the circumstances are so extraordinary that a new document must be written.”

Z’s Mailbox

An anonymous money order arrives worth twenty-five gold plus reimbursement for Z’s research costs. Zeal kept her word and kept zero gold for herself asides from enough to cover the two elixir cost. A well-known poem is attached in very uniform, block text.

Spoiler: Attachment
    Show
    All day and night, save winter, every weather,
    Above the inn, the smithy, and the shop,
    The aspens at the cross-roads talk together
    Of rain, until their last leaves fall from the top.

Out of the blacksmith’s cavern comes the ringing
    Of hammer, shoe, and anvil; out of the inn
    The clink, the hum, the roar, the random singing –
    The sounds that for these fifty years have been.

The whisper of the aspens is not drowned,
    And over lightless pane and footless road,
    Empty as sky, with every other sound
    Not ceasing, calls their ghosts from their abode,

A silent smithy, a silent inn, nor fails
    In the bare moonlight or the thick-furred gloom,
    In tempest or the night of nightingales,
    To turn the cross-roads to a ghostly room.

And it would be the same were no house near.
    Over all sorts of weather, men, and times,
    Aspens must shake their leaves and men may hear
    But need not listen, more than to my rhymes.

Whatever wind blows, while they and I have leaves
    We cannot other than an aspen be
    That ceaselessly, unreasonably grieves,
    Or so men think who like a different tree.

Goldrow Bank

Zeal schemes for a day on how to break into the bank. She cases the location from across the street while trying to look inconspicuous. She sees what maps exist in records. She investigates who designed the security. She tries to learn from those that have failed.

Spoiler: Day Ten Outfit
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

Over the past few days, Bolten had felt something of a paradigm shift in his conscience. During the height of his creativity and watching Shandara perform her work, Bolten felt some kind of previously shuttered mental window thrown open to the light of magic. During the moments when he wasn't working, Bolten occupied his time by inscribing clockwork and arcanomechanical designs into a thick tome. He was amazed to find that the design schematics themselves had power, the secrets to the energies of the celestial spheres hidden within spring coils and gyroscopic counterweights. More than anything, however, Bolten's feverish attention was devoted to an entirely new design. A clockwork creation, based on the small shelled digging mammals that he has only ever seen in books, but this one was no mere collection of gears and cogs. This one would be alive, in the proper sense of the word. While the engineering of the body itself was sound enough, Bolten sputtered in frustration and stroked his short beard in troubled thought as he considered the magic necessary to bring this creation to an actual recognition of self. Even with his magical potential finally budding, the magic involved was far, far beyond his own. He needed time to think... Cast his net wide in search of an answer. Perhaps studying and learning Draconic would be a good place to start...

Luckily, the drill proved to be not so difficult. Bolten watches with a contented smile as the adamantine teeth of the drillbits tear into the side of the abandoned quarry, satisfied at a job well done. He tells them to look for him at his workshop and provides them with his address. It's not like he's ever anywhere else, really... The past few days were an exception.

Along with the types of magic needed for his new design, Bolten is also concerned by the various magical material components needed to ensure a machine capable of sustaining itself without intervention from its creator. Those were not cheap and even the cash inflow from the commission is not enough for what he has in mind. Back to the commission board for another well-paying job...

His chin rests on one hand as he considers the board. Overhill's drink submission wasn't even a consideration. The engineer's request gets mild interest from him, but the thought of doing "hush-hush" is very unappealing. The weapon commission was relatively easy, something he could do without much trouble. The baron's request for aid, however, draws the dwarf's eye. He thinks of how good it had felt to help the people in the Stormdrains and the chance to help another person improve their life. Bolten doesn't know the first thing about the body, as this disease had shown, but maybe there was a way around that problem... His feet carry him toward the Esterwald estate almost of their own accord. Couldn't hurt to at least learn more and see if his seed of an idea might bear fruit. Besides, nothing's stopping him from swinging down to the Ranger's Guild later.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

The Esterwald Estate
    The Esterwald estate consists of a large 4-floor manor house surrounded by a sizable garden located some distance into the Imperial district, the large inner-city area where most Nobles keep their residence. The estate gardens are well kept and the house itself, while old in design, is clearly very well maintained. All this speaks well for the fortune of house Esterwald. The entrance to the estate's grounds are guarded by a pair of bored looking guardsmen, who allow Bolten access with just a cursory check for weaponry after he identifies himself as a member of the Society.

In the manor itself he's led to a small waiting room. Tea or coffee is served by a servant based on his preference, but he's mostly left alone for a good 20 minutes until he's called into the presence of Eduard Esterwald the younger. He awaits Bolten in a small office located on the ground floor, with a large set of windows behind him looking out on a small pond in the garden. The office is richly decorated with tapestries and bookcases filled with leather-bound and decorated volumes, and Eduard is seated behind a beautifully decorated desk of dark wood.

The heir to house Esterwald himself is a human in his early twenties with short blonde hair and a brave, but maybe ill-advised attempt at growing a beard. Despite his seeming youth there's a clear note of authority to his voice as he welcomes Bolten and gestures for him to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk. "I thank you for taking an interest in my father's health, mister Cogturner. So tell me, what did you have in mind for alleviating the good baron's troubles?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

The Ranger's Guild

Later that afternoon, after Shandara's rest, she turns up at the ranger's guild, quietly mentioning Captain Eshanel and their commission. In her pack, she has also brought a couple of more religious texts, hoping to glean more information and figure out what this undead thing is that the captain wants to kill.

26. - Top - End - #116

The Esterwald Estate

Bolten waits with his cup of tea, wondering how much of the waiting is genuine delay and how much is the noble tendency to make other people wait. Ah well, he has tea and it's a nice place.

Inside the office, Bolten gets right to the point as Eduard Jr. prompts him. "Well, I'll say this right off: I have no experience in medicine or the inner workings of the body, so I do not have anything to slow down his physical decline. You said, however, that his ability to walk is extremely hampered. I have a rough idea for something to help with that.

I believe that I can make a sort of exoskeletal clockwork chassis for your father that will allow to at least maintain his mobility. It would be like the iron rods that they put in medical casts, but these would allow for articulation of motion as well as providing structural support for his weight. This would be something he could get into or remove whenever necessary, such as when he needs to use the... facilities or when it is time for bed. I can even install specific parts at places like the ankle and knee that will allow him to lock himself into a crouch or standing position, if necessary. I'll have to find some sort of energy to power the apparatus, but I will be either installing a set of levers that allow for manual control of the movements or create a control rod similar to what they use for golems. Just as a backup in case his own movements aren't enough to register with the machinery, you understand.

Maybe it's not exactly what you were hoping for, but his quality of life would at least be improved by allowing him free movement. I wish I could say that I sympathize with your circumstances... but I never knew my father and that would be a lie."
    Bolten shrugs. "If you are interested, I could present you with a prototype schematic. In order to do that, though, I would need the measurements for his feet, legs, waist, and hips. I wouldn't be able to come up with a budget for the project until then." Having said his piece, Bolten sits and waits for the young noble's response.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-02-18 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Wrong speech color

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The Artificery Society campus

Zeal closes her shop for the day and walks to campus, her backpack overstuffed. There is a short search through the more nature infused part of camp for a large tree. Happy with what she has found she sets her backpack on the ground. Zeal takes a grapple hook out of her bag and knots a rope through. She spins the metal anchor around at her hip before launching the hook at the tree. She twitches the rope to try create a loop on the hook. She repeats the throws, climbing the rope when she lands a grapple, and restarts when she messes up the throw.

Latter in the evening, she creates an obstacle course in the grass with house hold items. She runs around pots and lanterns, dodging invisible attacks, and practices her agility. She imagines what traps she may find lurking in the bank and how best to avoid them.

After she tires herself out, she walks around campus looking for tools she could improvise to help defeat what she has learned about the lock. She may not have time to custom order the tools, but she can do more than rely on her old tools.

She sneaks around the campus and pushes how far she can sneak into shops and places unnoticed. She scales random buildings with simliar architecture to the bank. She finds herself sitting in the middle of the greens before a framed freestanding door on the grass. She has her legs crossed and mediates on how to open a door without opening a door. At dusk, she raises and walks back home, but leaves the door for others. Maybe, the students will find their own answers with the door.

Goldrow Bank

Sneaking around guards would strain her abilities, so a direct assault despite being flashy would increase her failure odds. The sewer is likely the best approach for her skill set and would allow for a large variety in entry methods. Though, she is maxed out on her gross quota for the month and really does not want to crawl through some warm, dank bowel. Humanoids can be gross enough on the outside without seeing their insides. That leaves breaking in through the upper floors. She isn't the best climber, but she is confident with perpetration. Besides, all the greats go through the windows and upper floors. What is even the point of robbing a bank if not done with style? She reverses her cape as she approaches the bank and blends into the night.

Spoiler: Night Outfit
    Show

She opens a small match-sized box filled with violet paste. A finger slides over the paste and stains violet. She holds the box in hand and forces an eyelid open. She raises a finger to her eye and rubs the paste directly into her cornea. She bites her tongue and curses. Her golden eye shifts violet. She applies the paste to the other eye. Her eyes mud and the earthen flesh around her eyes burn. She approaches the building in a way to give her a shot towards the windows and avoiding being spotted. She wipes her shoes down. She corner peeks to spot any guards and waits for her chance. She pulls a crossbow out of her bag. A bolt with a nasty hooked head loads into the crossbow. A rope attaches at the bolt's base.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

The Esterwald estate
    Eduard Esterwald takes several moments to consider after hearing out Bolten, before responding. "If you'd come by earlier today, I probably would have dismissed this idea as it deviated to far from the ideal resolution I envisioned." He lets that sink in for a second before continuing. "However, I've spoken to several alchemists and doctors now, and all have stressed that any magical or alchemical solution they could devise would have side effects and risks attached. Your solution, while not the ideal solution I initially envisioned, does sound a lot safer."

Eduard picks up a small bell from his table and shakes it, though no sound emerges from it. However, within moments a knock on the door is heard and a servant enters. "Modas, please acquire a copy of the measurements our tailor uses for designing my father's trousers and boots. Make certain it is ready for mister Cogturner to pick up before he leaves." He then opens a drawer and hands several sheets of paper to Bolten.

"This is our physician's description of my father's condition, as far as his mobility is concerned. Needless to say, this is somewhat confidential. Though my father's condition is no secret, I'd prefer it if the exact details aren't spread around too widely. Is there anything else you need to know?"

Spoiler: On Baron Esterwald's condition
    Show

It seems he's suffering from a wasting affliction affecting primarily the muscles in his legs. Various treatments including magic have successfully slowed it's progress over the years, but not halted it. The baron can still move his legs somewhat, but his muscles have mostly wasted away to the point that he can't exert any significant force. The bones are apparently also somewhat brittle and more easily damaged than they should be.

The Ranger's guild
    The ranger's guild is an odd structure. It's a squat and utilitarian building, one designed with defence in mind over aesthetics, this in stark contrast to the buildings around it. The guild-hall is in the military district, and surrounded by richly decorated military academies and headquarters for the various military branches keeping the empire safe. Any doubt about whether it is the correct location is dispelled once one steps inside, however. The heavy double doors lead into a large hall decorated with faded and not-so faded banners pointing to campaigns of old, as well as displays of storied weapons and the skulls of great creatures slain by the members of the guild.

The hall is also fairly quiet, mostly devoid of people with the exception of a noblewoman seated on a bench on the far side and looking over some sort of report, and an elderly caretaker cleaning the various artifacts and relics on display. The caretaker's eyes narrow a bit as he notices Shandara, but he points her towards captain Eshanel's room.

The captain's room is near the end of a long hallway filled with doors. Most door are closed, but the few that open look out on small rooms with a bed, a desk and often some personal effects scattered about. Most look as if they don't currently have an occupant. The rooms close to captain Eshanel's room are slightly different,as they're either completely empty and clean, as if they've recently been emptied, or messy, showing clear signs of recent occupation.

Eshanel's room is slightly larger than most of the other room's Shandara has passed, though its furnishings are equally spartan, consisting of a bed, a desk and chair, a bookcase and a small table with four chairs surrounding it. The captain is sitting behind the desk, writing a letter. She appears to be in her thirties and is clearly very fit, with an athletic build. She's wearing a simple tunic, breeches and boots, with a fancy coat sporting the ranger's guilds emblem as well as some kind of personal crest lying on the bed nearby. She's got short brown hair and slightly pointy ears marking her as a half-elf.

As she turns to look at Shandara one more feature is revealed. The left side of her face has been ruined. The skin is wrinkled and scarred, and a far darker shade than the rest of her skin. Her left eye stands out in all this as being fine, though the harshness of the seem between the healthy skin around her eye and the scarred skin suggest some kind of recent magical healing. She frowns and gives Shandara a somewhat suspicious look, and the way this pulls at the skin on the damaged part of her face elicits a barely perceptible wince of pain. "Yes? Do you need something from me?" She asks.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-12-31 at 04:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Goldrow Bank

Zeal crosses an unseen boundary. An internal monologue begins without a thought. At first, she lived a simple life full of wonder and excitement. A simple life were rules existed, laws kept her in check, and societies expectations weighed her down. Now, she has crossed a line, a start line, of sorts that she could never step back from. She was an outlaw, a cat bugler, stealing worthless paper that people decided had value. What did this paper mean to others, when the paper meant life or death for her? Her heart pounds like a dinner bell.

She crosses the way and closes the gap to the building wall. She snaps her eyes up and locks on the window. The crossbow, the tool of her trade, points up and towards the night. A bolt fires off through the darkness with a knotted rope trailing behind. If she hits her mark, she tries to climb. If she misses, her priority is not getting caught.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Perception to scout/search the building from afar (during case?)
    Take 20? 36?

Grapple on Building; 30 ft. Range
    (1d20+5)[8] vs AC 5?

Accelerated Wall Climb w/ Knotted Rope
    (1d20+4)[8] vs DC 5?

Stealth (Needed?)
    (1d20+13)[28]

Perception/Search on Window
    (1d20+16)[36]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

The Goldrow Bank
    It takes two tries to get the grapple to stick properly and by the time Zeal manages to make it to the top of the rope, the guard patrol ahs already reached her side of the bank. However, what she lacked in speed, she made up for in stealth, and the two guards pass below her without noticing anything amiss. The window she has reached is closed and fitted with a latch on the inside, but the latch itself is undone, meaning that she can easily make her way into the unlit office room beyond.

From studying the maps and from what she'd heard form others, she knows she'll now have to make her way to the ground floot. There is only a light guard presence on this floor and the floor below. She'll have to make her way all the way down to the ground floor, however, which is better guarded, an then through a long hallway, down a set of stairs and through another hallway to get to the vaults. These last two hallways will be filled with all kinds of traps and several locked doors.