New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Hm. Spirits in a crystal. Losing energy and dying... scabs on a wound. Interesting...

Technically, even normal living beings died because of that, if you considered their blood to be their energy, or at least, a conduit of their energy, among other things.

Shandara struggled a bit for a response. 'You are welcome'? Too generic and not really true. Eventually, with a nod, she says, "I was glad to offer assistance. So, will the spirit inside eventually be able to repair the crystal, itself, then? And.. does he have a name?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, of course. There wasn't really time to introduce him earlier." Vaigr chuckles. softly. "This is Muud. If things had been different, he would eventually have grown to be one of the guardian spirits of my clan. Of course, that's not what ended up happening, as this empire conquered my people instead." There's no anger as Vaigr states this, merely a hint of wistfulness as he looks back on a world long past, and which he'd likely never seen himself. "The knowledge to grow these crystals and call forth the spirits has been lost. I do what I can for them though, with Banbas' help."

Vaigr hands his magnifying glass to Shandara. While it looked perfectly natural in his hands, it appears almost comically oversized in Shandara's. "If you look closely, you can see how the new crystal you added slowly changes color at the edges and becomes seamless with the rest of the crystal. in time, it'll be like the crack was never there."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara peers through the oversized magnifying glass and eventually nods. Though she does need to try to maneuver someplace not in direct sunlight to see it. "Ah, yes. That is fascinating..."

"I have to say, I don't think I have ever personally met one of your kind, Vaigr. I would be interested to know a bit more about your people, though I suppose some things have been lost to time.. As for the crystal you possess with Muud inside, I believe I have seen something similar in the Society archives, but those crystals were larger."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolten looks Banbas's design over with a thoughtful hum before answering, "It could work, but I feel like the crystal could use a little extra help in balancing the lion's weight in the back. Perhaps you could put some kind of tail apparatus above the wheel for balance? Install some sort of simple gyroscope? Or perhaps a set of spurs or guide rods that keep the back end from tipping too far in a particular direction?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, I've visited the Artificery Society Archives once because I heard some of the larger crystals had been recovered. They are all dead, however." Vaigr notes with a sad tone to his voice. "As for my people, I would enjoy talking about them, and maybe learning something about yours as well. I don't think I've seen another lef quite like you before. However..." He looks around at the various clockwork beasts arrayed in the square. "I'm afraid there's a lot of work that still needs to be done here. If you're still curious later you can find at our workshop along the Bronze avenue after the festival, or you could drop by the Xlotl's nest during the evening during the festival."

Banbas nods at Bolten's suggestions. "Hmmm, I do suppose it'd tip a bit too easy otherwise. I have a sizeable gyroscope lying around in the workshop I could use for this. Thanks, you and your friend have been a great help!"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Something in Shandara's mind 'pinged' as she heard a mention of that name again: the Xlotl's nest.

"The Xlotl's Nest? That is a.. tavern of some sort, correct? I was under the impression the spirits and their mechanical bodies would be parading through the streets. What would you be doing there?" she asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've no idea what a Xlotl is OOC, by the way... Does Shandara know?

knowledge (something): (1d20)[18]
    +17 for arcana
    +10 for dungeoneering
    +8 for everything else

She puts a hand to her chin. "I may consider visiting there... Well. In any case, I shall leave you to the repairs now."

Leaving the goliath and approaching her friend again, she asks Bolten, "Will you be staying to help with the repairs?" She supposed.. she didn't care much either way. She had literally only met Bolten for thirty seconds before the lion's rear end exploded, but she was honestly looking forward to the prospect of tagging along with him for a bit. At least, until things became awkward again.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Something in Shandara's mind 'pinged' as she heard a mention of that name again: the Xlotl's nest.

"The Xlotl's Nest? That is a.. tavern of some sort, correct? I was under the impression the spirits and their mechanical bodies would be parading through the streets. What would you be doing there?" she asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've no idea what a Xlotl is OOC, by the way... Does Shandara know?

knowledge (something): [roll0]
    +17 for arcana
    +10 for dungeoneering
    +8 for everything else

She puts a hand to her chin. "I may consider visiting there... Well. In any case, I shall leave you to the repairs now."

Leaving the goliath and approaching her friend again, she asks Bolten, "Will you be staying to help with the repairs?" She supposed.. she didn't care much either way. She had literally only met Bolten for thirty seconds before the lion's rear end exploded, but she was honestly looking forward to the prospect of tagging along with him for a bit. At least, until things became awkward again.
    "Ah, I wouldn't be there tonight, but for the rest of the festival I likely will be." Vaigr answers Shandara's question, then bids her farewell as he returns to his work.

Spoiler: On Xlotl's
    Show

knowledge(Nature): Xlotl's were a rather large but herbivorous type of amphibian creature that lived in the delta of a large river in the empire's western reaches (they kinda look like Axolotls, but about four meters long). Because their hides are really soft and supple, but also very water-resistant when treated in the right way they've pretty much been hunted to extinction.

Knowledge (local): now that you think of it, you think you've heard that name before among students and other artificers. It's apparently some kind of bar and restaurant with a pretty good reputation, but you don't know that much more about it. You've noticed that its mainly, or even almost exclusively, known among the rarer species living in the capital. You don't think you've ever heard a human or half-elf talk about it, for example.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

The Herdsmans market
    The Herdsman's market is one of Vaungate's largest squares. Long ago, it was a large flat area outside of the city where farmers and ranchers would buy and sell cattle, though the city has long since overtaken the square, and it is now fully encapsulated in the city. A wide avenue still connects it to the city's southern gate, but it has been a long time since any serous cattle trading has taken place on the square. The space has been kept open, however, as it has seen use as both a large open air market, as well as a square for military parades and similar events.

Today, the square is host to a large variety of stalls and tents. A large market is in place, but there are also games, and at least three theater troupes have set up shop in different sections of the square. A large crowd is moving through the square, browsing wares, playing games and watching plays, but one of the largest groups is clustered around an open-air café known as the 'Bull's head'. On the cafe's large terrace a stage has been set up with a large table covered in all kinds of bottles. Behind the table two men and a woman are seated. Cirast Overhill, the curator of Alchemy is seated in the middle, Flanked one one side by an older dwarf bearing the symbol of the Stonebrew clan, and on the other side by an older woman in the uniform of one of the master brewers of the Northgate Brewery.

The crowd that has gathered in and around the café is a varied group of people. Some are prospective brewers and owners of drinking establishments curious to see the results of the contests. Others are just random passersby's that are curious what the ruckus is about. There are also a variety of bookies making the rounds, taking bets on the odds of which drink is going to be crowned the winner, or on which of the judges will be the first to collapse from the massive amount of alcohol presented to them. The mood overall is festive and happy, and the Bull's head's employees are rushing through the crowd to ensure everyone has their beverage of choice.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

The Herdsmans market

Z sauntered around, browsing the samples and descriptions of the various drinks and listening in on conversations of the attendants. While he wasn't expecting to outright win the contest, he was hoping that his novelty 'Glimpses' drinks would be able to draw attention, and hopefully could get incorporated in some fancy brewing company. They weren't bland, at least to his unrefined tongue, but he wouldn't be winning on taste alone. What he might win on was the chosen impressions.

Among the options he had picked out 3 impressions that he though would best showcase the spread of options available. 'Sirens' had the impression of a brief moment in the alluring song of the sirens, 'Spires of Assantrah' had the feeling of awe at seeing the golden spires of Assantrah for the first time, and and 'hunger' was the sight of a sea drake a mere 10 feet away turning it's hungry gaze towards you lightning dancing in it's maw.

He distracted himself from the nervous knot in his stomach by trying to pick out any conversations about his drinks and by reading the descriptions of the existing drinks looking for anything magical or interesting.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-04-18 at 07:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

The Herdsmans market
    Many of the drinks being tested are fairly mundane, at least in that they don't have a magical or alchemical component to them. There's a variety with interesting alchemical properties from basic 'mind expanding' properties to types that promise to temporarily change the way you see the world in interesting ways (such as swapping left and right and up and down, or changing your perception of colors altogether). There doesn't seem to be anything as outright magical as what Z is bringing himself, but as he watches one drink that has been announced as the 'dragon's fury' is tested, and though the judges aren't particularly impressed by it's taste (too spicy, too much cinnamon), the subsequent display of firebreathing they then treat the crowd to does impress, with the flames and smoke forming all kinds of interesting shapes, from dragons to ships to far-off mountain vistas.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

The Herdsmans market

Z start focusing his attention on the mind expanding and perception changing ones. Does the descriptions reveal anything more concrete? He tries to think of ways that those effect could have been performed.

He is impressed with the fire breathing potion. Not so much the fact that it was able to produce the fire, potions existed for those kinds of things, but more so because whoever had done it must have been able to do it reasonably cheaply.

12. - Top - End - #252

The Herdsmans market

Bolten looks up at Shandara's question. "Hm? Oh no, I think they have things under control. Best of luck to the both of you!"

He joins Shandara in her walk toward the square. The games seem like great fun for someone who never participated in them, but they are clearly cheaply made. His interest lies more in the crowd around the café, especially during one of the outbursts where some chemical concoction creates a firestorm of alchemical dragons. While Bolten will most certainly avoid that particular brew, he is feeling adventurous enough to peruse some of the... less potent creations.

The dwarf points to the crowd and suggests to Shandara, "C'mon, maybe we'll find something fun there! I'm up for trying something new for once!" Making his way up, Bolten eventually stops in front of Z and considers the three drinks carefully. Their vague names make him hesitant, but one in particular catches his interest. "What is this 'Spires' one here? How would you describe the taste," he asks the young human.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I don't think Shandara told Bolten about her own stuff, but I can edit it if she did.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

The Herdsmans Market

The sights and sound are much for Shandara to take in. More than once some glimpses of theater shenanigans, be it with puppets or actors, or a cheap little carnival game catches her eye. It was all novelty to her, such harmless little entertainments almost non-existent in her old society, but she still manages to see it for what it is: entertainment for children or the simpleminded. Or at least, this is what she tells herself..

She doesn't have much time to give anything a fair look, however, as Bolten doesn't seem interested in any of it either. The drow shyly follows along, not really knowing where she is being lead. Eventually she notices that it seems to have a lot to do with alcohol and various other drinks, and puts two and two together when she sees one familiar halfling at the head of one of the most important-looking tables.

Bolten stops short of that, however, and begins to inquire about a drink. She turns her attention to that curiously, though she really hadn't planned on drinking anything here herself..

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Z grins ear to ear in his best salesman smile when the unusual duo approaches him. "What does it taste like? Well, it tastes like wonder and awe naturally. The 3 golden spires of Assantrah are said to be so massive that they reach the heavens, and gazing at them one can feel nothing but awe."
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-04-21 at 04:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

The Herdsmans Market

Even one as intelligent as Shandara was having trouble understanding this. "Um. Pardon??" she asked, quite bewildered.

"He asked what it tasted like. Not.." she interjected before stopping short.

"Wait... Z? Did you make these?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shandara
    "He asked what it tasted like. Not.."

"But it is what it tastes like, you should try it, it really can't be described in any other way"

"Wait... Z? Did you make these?"
    "Oh Shandara, I didn't recognize you. Did you do something to your hair?" Z suddenly realizes who he is talking to. "And yep! That's why the base taste is so bland. I'm an alchemist first and medicine isn't supposed to taste good."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

The Herdsmans Market

Shandara shyly shakes her head at the inquiry about her hair. No significant change as far as she was aware.

She was still rather confused how a drink could 'taste' like an emotion. But then again, that probably meant some mind-altering properties.. and knowing other things Z was involved in, it made Shandara even more wary.

"Uh.. No thank you. I did not come here to drink anything..." And that as much was true. Shandara avoided alcoholic drinks or anything strange, really, and she was just following Bolten around at the moment.

18. - Top - End - #258

Well, if Shandara knows the person who makes these drinks, maybe that makes it safe... It is comforting to know that the taste won't be anything like spitting dragons, Bolten is feeling a bit more daring than usual.

Picking up the sample, Bolten takes a conservative sip just in case. Hmmm, not bad... Nothing to write home about, more resembling some carbonated water that he has tried more than anything-

Bolten's eyes go wide as saucers as it feels like he is inside his own head and the interior surface of his skull is the blue sky. He looks up at the phantom Golden Spires, suddenly feeling very small and in an alien place. There is a look of stupefied awe on his face as he looks up at nothing, then the illusion is gone and Bolten leans on the table instinctively for support as he flies back into his own body. He sucks in breath to fight off the feeling of vertigo.

"...Wow. How did... How did you do that," Bolten asks Z in a mixture of excitement, confusion, and terror.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Although thought impossible, Boltons reaction manages to make Z's even wider. "Lot of hard work and copious amounts of elbow grease."

"Could I tempt you with the the other variants? It is few who have heard the Siren's song and have lived to tell the tale, perhaps you might be interested in joining that small group? I should warn you that the Sea Drake can be frightening."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara seems more than a little concerned for Bolten's well-being when the dwarf's eyes dilate and he is forced to lean on a table for support.

"Bolten! Are you alright?" she asks before glaring daggers at Z.

Well, Z seemed to be even more amused. Was that a sign that the drinks were harmless? She wasn't sure...

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    knowledge arcana: (1d20+17)[37]

Thinking they fall under magical creatures.

"I have heard of sirens, but it is said that their songs do not capture the attention so much because they are beautiful, but simply due to their magical mind-affecting properties.."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-04-22 at 07:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

With a cough, Bolten waves off Shandara's concern with a rueful grin. "I'm fine, just was... unprepared, that's all."

When he recovers his composure, Bolten considers the other drinks carefully. "...I think I am going to give the sea drake one a wide berth. The siren one, however... Eh, I'll give it a shot." With a shrug, Bolten picks up the siren concoction and drinks it. It takes a moment for the effect to kick in, but the results are again immediate. His features visibly relax and the tension in his shoulders eases as his ears are serenaded by the siren song. "Oh dear... Z, I think you have some very dangerous drinks on your hands. I can see these being quite habit-forming."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

When daggers starts to be pointed his way. Z holds up his hands in a gesture of innocence. "He's fine, he's fine, awe can just be a little overwhelming is all." He doesn't make it further in his defence before Bolton recovers.

"I have heard of sirens, but it is said that their songs do not capture the attention so much because they are beautiful, but simply due to their magical mind-affecting properties.."
    "I don't know. Maybe? I've only heard siren song second hand so I couldn't tell if there's a part of the experience I'm missing out on. It does sound otherworldly though"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolton
    "I'm fine, just was... unprepared, that's all."
    "I'm taking pointers if you have any suggestions as to how to prepare better. People don't really take me serious when I say that it tastes like wonder and awe but maybe the surprise is part of the experience? How would you rate the experience on a scale from 1 to 10 and would that have been higher if you had been better prepared?"

"Oh dear... Z, I think you have some very dangerous drinks on your hands. I can see these being quite habit-forming."
    "Eh. Anything that's enjoyable can be habit forming and I kind of had to go for shock value at this contest if I wanted to draw attention. What's really remarkable about these is that what you just experienced are real experiences by real people. Imagine feeling how a curator's hands move as they build a construct or following where they eyes focus. Or a rookie team experiencing how an experienced team takes down a rampaging owlbear before trying themselves. Or even building bridges between cultures by letting people in one culture experience lives from each others perspective."
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-04-23 at 02:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

"Real experiences from real people..?" Shandara asks, somewhat intrigued.

"You mean to tell us that you extracted certain experiences from someone's memories, and then you found a way for other people to experience those memories by imbibing a liquid?"

Shandara just stood there, rather dumbfounded by the whole idea. Damn. Damn, that was an ingenious idea. She wished she had thought of it.

"I am not so sure most will learn what you want them to learn. They might process an experience differently, or they might not even understand what they are seeing..."

24. - Top - End - #264

"Well, it's just that...," Bolten trails off as he tries to articulate his shock. "I'm sure you're aware of how people market their drinks. They call something 'happiness in a cup' or 'liquid sunshine'. People expect a flowery metaphor, not something quite so literal... It's like telling someone that it tastes like 'purple'. As for a rating... I must admit that it being a surprise does probably heighten the experience. Quite exhilarating! I just wish I could actually see the Spires themselves... If they are as wonderful as this suggests, it would make the drink even better!"

When Z reveals the sensations' origins, Bolten's curiosity is made a bit queasy by the knowledge. "Erm... You didn't... steal someone's memories, did you? I mean, er, the person still has these memories and they weren't taken away, yes?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"And the next brew is by one 'Zacharias Volenta'!" The deep voice of the dwarven judge easily carries over the noise of the crowd. "Zacharias, if you could come forward and briefly present your creation, we can get to the tasting."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

"You mean to tell us that you extracted certain experiences from someone's memories, and then you found a way for other people to experience those memories by imbibing a liquid?"
    "Yep," Z says basking in the praise.

"I am not so sure most will learn what you want them to learn. They might process an experience differently, or they might not even understand what they are seeing..."

"I don't know. Maybe? This is brand new so there's a lot of things I don't know for sure."

"Erm... You didn't... steal someone's memories, did you? I mean, er, the person still has these memories and they weren't taken away, yes?"
    "No, I kidnapped homeless people and forcibly extracted all of their lived experienced," Z looks serious for a brief moment before the facade cracks and his grin is back: "Kidding! I'm kidding! I promise what you experienced was ethically sourced, noone lost any memories permanently and those involved was compensated for their trouble"

He adresses both of them simultaneously: "Actually, I remember you both being talented crafters. There's some hickups in some of the follow up products that I could use some help with, sounds interesting? It's.."

He is stopped by the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dwarf
    "Zacharias, if you could come forward and briefly present your creation, we can get to the tasting."
    "Sorry, gotta bounce. Think about it and let's talk after?," he says before quickly grapping his samples and hurrying up on the stage.

"Honoured brewers, connoisseurs, and guests" Z speaks in a loud confidence voice as he swaggers into the center, clearly in his element. "Have you ever traveled the dangerous journey to the exotic city of Assantrah? Sailed through the narrow jaws of Shibratan with your hands wrapped over your ears to avoid the alluring song of the sirens? Brought arms and cannons to bear to avoid being devoured alive by the dragons of the sea?"

He was spinning a tale he knew. Most people hadn't been to Assantrah but it wasn't because it was a dangerous journey. Rather, it was far away and thus wasn't usually a profitable trip. That didn't matter though. he wasn't giving an actual recounting, he was telling a story and the audience wanted to be entertained.

"Well, now you can get a glimpse of what that adventure could have been like, all from the comfort of our beautiful city of vaungate. Through a complex mechanism we have infused liquids with Impressions, allowing the drinker to glimpse parts of events as if they had been there themselves." He then pulls out the 3 drinks one after another and places them on the table: "The alluring song of the Sirens, the sight of a sea drake turning its hungry gaze towards you, and finally the reward for the long journey - the awe and wonder of seeing the Spires of Assantrah. A full adventure in liquid form."

"This is of course only an example of what Impressions can do. Brave adventurers can recount their heroic tales in far more vivid detail. We can experience the wonders of the world first hand. We can bring the world closer by experiencing important aspect of strange and exotic cultures."

And with that grandious statement he falls silent, pulls out enough samples that all of the judges can try them out and awaits judgement.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2021-04-24 at 03:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

The female judge wearing the emblem of the Northgate brewery chuckles at Z's grandiose explanation. "Well, if you're half as good at brewing as you are at weaving tales..." She comments, before the judges reach for the first of the three drinks provided to them. It looks for a moment like Cirast is going to comment on the taste before the full effect hits them, leaving him and his fellow judges speechless.

As the first effect subsides the judges exchange a glance, and then they down the second and then the third variation. The crowd watching has grown a lot quieter as well. With most of the previous drinks the judges had a lot of quick comments and general banter to share, so for them to fall silent like this indicates that they've been given something remarkable.

After finishing the third drink the judges take a minute to mull it over in silence. Finally, the female judge speaks up. "When you introduced your brew, I assumed you where a bit of a braggart. You wouldn't have been the first to make grandiose claims about your brews with the brew itself being nothing special. However..."

"Not a word of it was a lie." The dwarven judge picks up from his human companion, a hint of emotion in his voice. "What you've created here is... well, it is not just a drink but an experience, however short it may last."

"A shame about the bland taste though." The curator of alchemy adds, but he does so with a friendly smile. "Zacharias, what you've created her is something truly unique. It's hard for someone with my refined tastes to be surprised, yet you've managed to do so. I don't know how large your supply is, but while it lasts, I heartily recommend for everyone to get a taste. And once this festival is done, I'd like to speak with you further, as one alchemist to another, on what you've created here."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara was still intrigued as Z explained. Jokes aside, it seemed he was onto something good. Only, she was still rather afraid to test the concoctions herself.

It sounded like he was about to ask for some kind of assistance, before his name was called, and he stood before everyone barking praise of his creations.

...and the judges were astounded.

A part of Shandara told her she should try and get in on this. But yet another part of her doubted everything. How practical, how profitable would this even be? And.. her expertise was rather lacking as well. And would delving into matters of the mind and alchemy be able to hold her interest? She wasn't even sure if she could adequately improve the taste of these drinks without muddling their properties..

All questions for the future, all insecurities deep-seated in her mind. She didn't know what she would do, but maybe some time to think on it would be for the best, as well as being on the lookout for other opportunities.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

"Your praise humble me," Z replies with a bow to the judges.

"I would appreciate that Curator Overhill," he responds to the curator's invitation. "Should I find you at the Academy?"

In a loud voice he tells the crowd where he will be for the remaining competition if they want to taste. In a quite voice he tells the judges that he'll save them a serving for them if they have the time. He then departs the scene and returns to where he left Shandara and Bolton.

"So.. I think that went quite well," Z says proudly as he takes out some samples again expecting that they would soon get company.

30. - Top - End - #270

As Z steps forward, Bolten feels severe doubt. He doesn't know the first thing about alchemy! How in the world does Z expect him to help? Bolten deals with cogs, not chemicals!

When Z returns, Bolten nods softly. "Yes... I think you'll be busy for quite a while, sir. Congratulations on your work. I am simultaneously excited and terrified to see what comes next."