New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Drunken Wizard spellcasting

How drunk can a Wizard be and still cast a spell?
    Since Wizardly spellcasting is based on INT it shouldnt go well with intoxication.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Drunken Wizard spellcasting

I don't think there's a rule for this beyond being drunk affecting concentration checks.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I usually make players roll a Constitution saving throw at about DC10 to see if their character ends up drunk or not. After they're confirmed drunk, I just use the "poisoned" condition from the Player's Handbook on page 292, which means disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. Keeps things pretty simple that way. For spellcasting that wasn't an attack rollor involved an ability check though, I wouldn't impose anything since that can be a bit too much penalty to be fun for players.

I would definitely ask the DM as a player though because this is something I could see people handling very differently.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say concentration check with disadvantage if drunk to even cast the spell. Continuous disadvantage on each check if the spell requires concertation.
    Signature verification required.

Latest Homebrew: The Battledancer 5e Dragonfire Adept 5e

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandeman View Post
    Since Wizardly spellcasting is based on INT it shouldnt go well with intoxication.
    Disadvantage on spell attack rolls, and targets have advantage on saving throws against his spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

On the contrary, I think being drunk would have a more noticeable effect on Wisdom than Intelligence. I can totally see some kind of inventor getting drunk and cobbling together a dangerous invention because it seems like a good idea in his altered mental state.

For example, earlier episodes of Rick and Morty depicted Rick as a raging alcoholic but also a genius inventor. His intoxication didn't seem to impair his ability to build high tech gadgets, but it did impair his ability to make sound judgement. Like the cold open in the very first episode where he tries to wipe humanity and start over with just his grandson. It is true that his inventions do seem to have a higher failure rate, but that could be attributed to being too drunk to notice there's something wrong with them (which is Perception, and therefore Wisdom). (Sidenote: there's signs in the early episodes that Rick was meant to be a genius but ultimately a failure, which is why he's living with his daughter and drives a flying machine made out of trash, for example. A far cry from the "smartest man in the universe" that he became in later seasons.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    On the contrary, I think being drunk would have a more noticeable effect on Wisdom than Intelligence. I can totally see some kind of inventor getting drunk and cobbling together a dangerous invention because it seems like a good idea in his altered mental state.

For example, earlier episodes of Rick and Morty depicted Rick as a raging alcoholic but also a genius inventor. His intoxication didn't seem to impair his ability to build high tech gadgets, but it did impair his ability to make sound judgement. Like the cold open in the very first episode where he tries to wipe humanity and start over with just his grandson. It is true that his inventions do seem to have a higher failure rate, but that could be attributed to being too drunk to notice there's something wrong with them (which is Perception, and therefore Wisdom). (Sidenote: there's signs in the early episodes that Rick was meant to be a genius but ultimately a failure, which is why he's living with his daughter and drives a flying machine made out of trash, for example. A far cry from the "smartest man in the universe" that he became in later seasons.)
    Aaaand now I want to play an alcoholic Artificer.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I agree with Greywander, Int probably isn't effected. Think about a drunk college kid. They can still quote a writer or do a math problem, but their decision of if they should take an action is probably changed. So that drunk wizard can probably still cast a fireball, the problem is they might think it is a great way to start up the fireplace fast because it is getting cold.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Being drunk is often represented by the poisoned condition. Notably in Dungeon of the Mad Mage, where it's possible to meet a very drunk caster.