New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown [IC]

At the false crypt, Elian takes point to immediately survey the mausoleum. "Hmmm... Someone beat us here. I suppose obviously- we knew the professor came here too... Would he have burned through the lock with acid?" He fidgets awkwardly for just a few moments before putting his hand cautiously to the door.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Elian is a capable scout, if not a fabulous one. He has dark vision and semi-respectable modifiers, so I'm perfectly content for him to take point on these sorts of investigations.

(1d20+7)[15] perception (he does not have trapfinding- so no bonuses nor ability with magical traps)
    (1d20+6)[12] stealth

"Eyes up, people."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Dragoslav Cutov
    Human Gravedigger Investigator
    AC: 17 HP: 10/10
    touch: 11 ff: 16 CMD: 15
    Conditions: -

Drago just shrugs at Mitch's suggestion to bury his father's head. I'll do so, once I find a place worthy of his character. Then he is off.

At the tomb
    Drago examines the damages on the lock. That looks like strong stuff. Not cheap either. Someone knew where to look after this. The average graverobber does not spend a good ten lions on acid, they just pick the lock. In case the robber was capable of magic, this of course makes it all the more difficult.

Stand back, for I don't want to trigger any traps that affect more than one.

Spoiler
    Show
    taking 10 on Perception for 17 plus a use of Inspiration for the day: (1d6)[5]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"This is a crypt in a Pharasmin-protected graveyard. There will be, at the very most, some protective measures. It'll be fine. It'll be fine."

Having said that, he speaks a word and a faint blue aura surrounds the wizard's torso.

casting Mage Armor, current AC 16

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi walked over to the old mans grave. He was just shy of four feet tall wearing a simple set of over coat shirt and brown pants. His fur was black but well groomed unlike most civilized species he had no shoes only a simple foot binding. In a somber tone he talks to Professor Lorrimor's grave "Sorry I'm late Professor rain and blasted mud caught me. Well better late than never." He sat down taking his backpack off. "Well I would offer you a drink but money is tight. Though I doubt I could ever repay your patience sticking with me and making sure I got my head screwed on straight after that crypt fiasco. Still I hope to ..." He over hears some people talking suddenly looking over he sees some group huddled around a crypt "What the...? Sorry professor looks like I'll be cutting my visit short. See ya later" He gets up slings on his back pack and draws his cross bow.
    As he draws close he aims at the group and calls out "HEY what the devil are you lot doing?!"
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-22 at 05:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

PaladinGuy

Looking very pleased to turn from the unknown dangers of the crypt to the social dangers of a ratfolk busybody, Hardor faces the smaller person down and responds to the call with "We are associates of the late Professor Petros Lorrimor, investigating this crypt with the express permission of the Pharasmin church, in connection with the last, unfinished investigation of his life. We don't need overzealous mourners interfering with our continuation of his work."

6. - Top - End - #96

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi looks a the group not quite sure what to make of them. Still he lower his crossbow. "Hmm it dosn't sound like your lying but the professor did alot of things you got some proof? I've got unfinished buisness my self with the late professor." He scratches his chin thinking. "Got contacted by some guy said he was the lawyer enacting the will. I'm supposed to help his kid you should know their name right? That is if your his friends." He had not put away the crossbow but was no longer aiming it at them.

7. - Top - End - #97

PaladinGuy

As soon as the ratman lowers his crossbow and mentions the Professor's will, Hardor's face softens.
    "Oh, one of the others mentioned in the will.""In that case, you may wish to join us. Myself and each of my companions were also mentioned in the late Professor's will, which tasked us with delivering some sensitive books in his possession to his colleagues in Caliphas. A journal of his stored with them mentioned the nearby ruin of Harrowstone, where he was prying into the activities of the cult known as the Whispering Way. We were looking for some tools supposedly stored in this mausoleum to help us continue his investigations at Harrowstone."

8. - Top - End - #98

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    Nezumi still dosn't put the crossbow away at first. " Yeah the will mentioned a bunch of stuff books and that a few others were going to help out." he finally puts the crossbow away. "Alright for now I'll trust you." and if there a bunch'a liars I'll sic the constable on them he thought.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Elian snickers in quiet amusement. He smiles easily at the newcomer, "Friend, there's no need to qualify such statements. Trust is ever a fickle thing, no?" Nodding towards the supposedly false crypt, he raises an eyebrow questioningly. "Though I feel almost obligated to ask, how well do you see in the dark?"

Show
    I know we're mixing a few things up, but Elian is still content to scout, most of the time. Not to be a jerk, but in my experience, moving things along is always worthwhile.

To that end, if Nezumi wants to take point (seems unlikely, given his dialogue thus far), Elian will let him. Otherwise, as they say, 'get on with it!'

10. - Top - End - #100

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    Nezumi looks over at the chuckling man "Whats the saying trust is earned not given." He walks up to the group and looks over at the crypt "My eye sight is pretty good in the dark. But I still haven't gotteen any names from any of you so I'll go first my name is Nezumi."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Dragoslav Cutov
    AC: 17 HP: 10/10
    touch: 11 ff: 16 CMD: 15

Drago glances at the newcomer shortly before returning to his work. Realizing they might be able to help, he turns away finally. I am sorry, who were you again? I believe proper introductions are in order. My name is Drago Cutov, alchemist and late Lorrimor's right hand man. These are Kristoph Harrison and Elian Evenstar. The mage is known as Hardor Sentas. He points at the various people.

Now you don't look like a cat burglar... he smiles content at his joke. but I think this crypt could have a magic trap. Since none of my arcane colleagues deems to lower themselves to check it with me, maybe you want to? Even if the implication of a ratfolk was intentional, Drago did not show any signs of maliciousness.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph smiles at the newcomer and offers his gloved hand in welcome. "Good day, friend. I do hope we can earn your trust, though you have no reason to suspect graverobbing here," the Pharasman paladin gestures to himself and the holy symbol of Pharasma emblazoned on his tunic. "Though the Church doesn't seem to know what to make of me, I have been burdened with the responsibilities of a paladin, though I worship the Lady of Graves. It is a bit odd, I'm sure, but I would have no desecration of the peaceful dead in my presence. You look like you know how to handle that crossbow - did you have to use it in support of the late Professor?"

13. - Top - End - #103

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    Nezumi rolls his eyes at the joke. "Alright let me take a look at it". Nezumi begins inspecting the door checking for traps. It reminded him alot of how he got to meet the profesor the first time. Then the paladin ask about his history with the professor "Well I'm not sure where to begin on that one. He contacted me after I got possesed by some spirit. Studyed me, helped me and made sure whatever got me didn't try it again. I got held up by the rain and muck so I wasn't able to get here in time for the burial."
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+6)[13]
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-24 at 03:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Once Nezumi is satisfied that there are no traps, you push open the door to reveal a set of steps that steeply descend into the cold earth. The backlit illumination from the open door casts long shadows, giving the decorative stone tiling of the floor a distinctly spooky feel and casting the numerous niches in the sides of the crypt into shadow. Those with low-light or dark vision can see that these niches are all empty of any dead. Two closed doors are set into the back wall of the room.

Looking in, Elian also notes obvious footsteps in the dust and dirt, likely belonging to the late professor.

Link to Map

I've placed simple icons of the character art on your sheets for use as tokens. If your sheet had no art I just used an image of the iconic character. You're welcome to change your icons however you like. Your positions on the map are also not set; you can place them however you wish.

Skill Prompts:
    Spoiler: Survival DC 18
    Show
    The tracks lead to the left (top on the map) door.

15. - Top - End - #105

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph nods at the ratfolk's explanation. "He was a good man, fighting - in his own way - for good people. You are welcome to come with us as we try to honor his work," the half-elf says with a smile. Then, he turns to look into the false-tomb, immediately noting the lack of dead bodies lying at rest. "It does seem to be a ruse - this is not an actual burial site. Now, which door shall we try first...?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Survival (untrained) (1d20-1)[0]

Unable to make heads or tails of the tracks in the dust, Kristoph stays second-to-the-front, right behind anyone looking at the footprints but careful not to mess them up. He draws his longsword and heavy steel shield, holding both with the confidence of many hours of practice.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Dragoslav Cutov
    AC: 16 HP: 10/10
    touch: 12 ff: 14 CMD: 16

Drago lights his lantern and shoulders his shovel. Wordlessly he proceeds ahead, looking left and right to catch some noteworthy names.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+4)[11] (is actually +7, so 14)
    I took the liberty to move myself on the grid.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-02-25 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi walks into the crypt and looks down at the footprints on the floor "Seems like the proffesor was here."He walks over to the doors carful not to disturb the foot prints already there.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Survival (1d20-1)[0]
    Perception to check for traps (1d20+6)[20]
    I moved my self on the grid.
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-26 at 11:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

PaladinGuy

As the others move into the crypt, Hardor nervously follows them, lighting up his compass with a quick incantation. Following the example of not disturbing the footsteps in the dust, he moves along the left wall, noting the empty alcoves. Hardor whispers up to Kristoff "Are you sure there were never any dead interred here?"

19. - Top - End - #109

The crypt is eerily quiet between the questions and answers of the party, the thick walls blocking out sound from the outside and the layer of dirt and dust dampening any sound of footsteps. The alcoves appear empty, though several bear cracks and fissures separating the stone and mortar. Several of you attempt to follow the tracks to see where they might lead, but unfortunately you're not quite sure which (if either) door they lead into.

OOC: The room is at a low light level. Perception and Survival skill checks did not reveal anything. So, who wants to try a door?

20. - Top - End - #110

NecromancerGuy

"Never is a very long time, Hardor, but I am sure they aren't in use now and that we aren't breaking Pharasma's precepts so far. Do not worry - I take my faith very seriously," replies Kristoph as he moves for a door...

Spoiler: Which door?
    Show
    1 = left, 2 = right: (1d2)[1]

21. - Top - End - #111

PaladinGuy

That's not what I was worried about...

As the paladin goes to open the door, Hardor nervously takes what he hopes is a readied stance and prepares to strike anything that jumps out of the door with a splash of acid.

22. - Top - End - #112

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    Nezumi takes a moment and backs up. "Not sure which one would be right but lets take some precautions. Any one has any rope? We can open the door witout anyone infront of it"

23. - Top - End - #113

Nezumi tries to warn Kristoph to slow down, but he's already there and opens the left door. Thankfully, no traps spring to life (or death, as it were), and the room beyond seems unremarkable except for another set of stone stairs leading deeper underground. His lowlight vision fails him beyond that point, but once someone with darkvision looks or someone makes a light, you can see a single large sarcophagus in the center of the room beyond. The tracks on the ground continue, but apparently the professor did enough pacing around that the tracks are too confused to follow to any particular place.

Map Link

OOC: Feel free to move your own tokens on the map in accordance with your post. If you set off any boobytraps I'll let you know and you can strikethrough anything that gets preempted.
    Last edited by NikolaTesla; 2021-02-28 at 10:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Dragoslav Cutov

There is a sarcophagus ahead. Drago says, eschewing the explanation why a human sees as well in the dark as any dwarf or orc. The chemist advances towards the place of rest, slowly and deliberately. Rat! he shouts.maybe another look at the sarcophagus? He beckons the others to come closer, while he studies the inscription if there is any.

25. - Top - End - #115

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph follows Drago into the darkness, lighting a torch so he can see well enough to not trip on the stairs. "His name is 'Nezumi,' Drago. He was a friend of the Professors - we should try to be friendly," he quietly and gently chides the other man with a smile that shows it is truly meant kindly. Then, louder he says, "I'm not versed in traps, and if I were hiding weapons I would do what I could to protect them. Are any of you knowledgeable enough in that field to search around, make sure we don't set something off?"

As someone (hopefully) steps up he grips his shield firmly in one hand, the torch held high in the other, and looks around the false tomb, watching for signs of surprising dangers...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+1)[3]

26. - Top - End - #116

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    Nezumi doesn't immediately respond. Walking over to the sarcophagus he takes a look running his hand over the top of it looking for any writing. The large vase or jar over in the corner also perks his interest but for now he focuses on the sarcophagus. "I don't mind the nicknames down here Baldy, but up top and in town call me by my name." He wasn't angry but right now he was focused on detecting traps and wasn't comfortable enough around the group just yet.
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-03-02 at 12:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Spoiler: Writing in Celestial on Sarcophogus
    Show
    The writing is in the celestial script but it's complete nonsense.

Despite the group's heightened awareness as they explore the false crypt, they do not detect any traps, undead, or other dangers in the room.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Dragoslav Cutov

Sorry, Nezumi, I was trying to be practical and I forgot your name. I am Drago, but you can call me Baldy if you want. The huge man investigates the script. Sorry, I am not versed in this script, can one translate it? Or should be just remove the sarcophagus and be done with it? If you allow it, Kristoph.

Where to hide magical items if not in a death bed of one of Pharasma's boneyards. Even if thieves break in here, they would struggle with the lid.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Elian breaks his uncharacteristic silence a few paces behind the crypt. "A clever ruse, indeed. It would take a special blend of foolishness and bravado to lightly breach the door at all, much less root around in a sarcophagus among Pharasma's blessed. I just hope we find something useful in here. I don't know about you all, but I find all this distinctly uncomfortable." The lithe man visibly fidgets with his hands and the handle of his sheathed blade.

He glances around uneasily. "Please, go ahead and open it."

Show
    Sorry for being out of pocket- I spent the weekend driving across Texas, helping my brother move (not DarkOne, the other brother XD), and then driving home. Should be getting back to normal for now, though the family descends on us this coming weekend for a funeral...

30. - Top - End - #120

Lizardfolk

Nezumi Taylor
    "I understand Drago. I've had worst nicknames and you can call me Nez if you want to." Nezumi get's out of the way he wasn't very strong and didn't want to be by the coffin when it was opened or obstructing the others when they moved it. He goes over to the North east corner and takes a quick look at the urn.