Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default The Last Stand (OOC)

Here we are, a nice OOC thread to properly track and world build before the game starts.
    I'll be updating my post here to include new chunks of world and lore as it's built up.
    Link to interest check thread
    IC thread here
    Current Map: Graciously provided by Pyrophilios

Spoiler: Big 16:
    Show

System: D&D 5e
    Player Count: Max 7
    Style of Play: Tactics, Survival, Siege/war
    Allowed Content:
    • PHB
    • Xanathar's
    • Volo's
    • Tasha's
    • Homebrew and everything else can be submitted for review and possible approval

Character Creation:
    • Backstory: To fit the theme of this game, all character will either be from or have lived a decent portion of their lives in the starting village, or been a part of the same military unit as the rest of the players. There's also the already known requirement of submitting at least brief descriptions of your character's family that live within the valley.
    • Experience: Starting lvl 5
    • Wealth: 500 (Spend as you wish on stuff that isn't included in starting gear)
    • Ability Scores: 27 point buy.
    • Hitpoints/Health: PHB standard
    • Alignment: Doubt I HAVE to say it, but please no evil, at least not starting out, though who's to say, what changes may, come about in the horrors of this war
    • 1st shared backstory perk: Freely given animal husbandry and/or pilot land vehicles. If you already have one through race or background, you get the other, and if you have both, you may pick one new equivalent proficiency
    • 2nd shared backstory perk: Spoils from your time in the war! You may choose to have any 2 wondrous magic items detailed in xanathar's guide to everything, or any 1 item totaling no more than 1000gp from the sane magic item prices table here.

Other Notes:
    - There may be changes or more added or removed as further discussion is had.
    - I will try to keep the most up to date version of the 16 on the starting post for this OOC

And a summed up version of what we have so far:
    • Geography
    • Game will primarily take place in a valley surrounded by mountains, almost like an ancient caldera or crater that would have at one point been mostly filled with water. As the lake continued to flow out via a river to the south, the natural stone barrier would erode away until the ancient lake drained.
    • This in turn would leave the valley with not only a still constant source of fresh water, but also very fertile farmland, a few small-medium forests, and the mountains give reason to try mining.
    • The remote nature of the location however as well as the difficult terrain surrounding it explain why the entire valley isn't filled with settlements.
    • To the north is the stone temple of Eldrath, a nature goddess who's teachings focus on forgiveness and coming to agreements.
    • There is a small logging operation setup in the northwestern woods, closely monitored by the nature worshipping druids, clerics, and paladins of the temple.
    • In the south eastern forests lie an old ruin, still bearing more than a few dangerous traps and monsters.
    • There are two mines in the valley, the privately owned western cliffside mine, and the kingdom owned south western mine.
    • The rich soil of the farm and druidic blessings have made it almost magically fertile.
    • Backstory and setup
    • The characters have all come from the main town/village near the center of this valley, or lived there for some time to the point of knowing each other.
    • Roughly 100 working citizens plus multiple groups and families with numerous ties to each other, somewhat stereotypical "small town" community like thing
    • Monstrous races are playable, and there are even a few living in the valley.
    • There is at least one old granny, who everyone basically knows as granny, who owns and or runs the main bakery in the valley, and she is not to be trifled with.
    • There is a local lord over the valley and a sizeable portion of the land beyond the valley with the Black Keep being their main residence, though he and his family do have a manor house in the valley village.
    • Game and plot
    • A Goblinoid invasion force has attacked the kingdom and setup a forward base after conquering the "Black Keep" at the entrance to the valley, while this might not be the main force, it's still a rather sizeable detachment, potentially with reinforcements.
    • Players will start play in or near the central village at level 5
    • Multiple goals throughout the game in terms of securing areas, rescuing citizens, fortifying defenses, possibly training up a militia, all leading up to storming the keep and freeing the valley.
    • Game could continue from there, but that's for later.

What's still needed and I'm open to suggestions
    • Develop the citizens, families, and a majority of the NPCs for the valley. Still need to create a google docs to keep track because there's so much to keep track of there, even with just basic writeups.
    • Work with players to setup families and establish backstories with several ties to the various inhabitants of the valley
    • Add details to the towns and camps
    • Develop additional side quests and maybe build an extra dungeon or two.

Currently submitted NPC count and groupings (Not counting PCs, currently 65)
    • Lackerman family (9)
    • Anastrianna
    • Whembly family (6)
    • Carpenter family (9)
    • Meekly
    • Xeres family (3)
    • Clarissa McDougall
    • Patterson family (8)
    • Visserad family (7)
    • My own submissions that I have planned so far (20)
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-06 at 06:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Last Stand (OOC)

Cool, I'd suggest everyone develops around 10 npcs (friends and family) in addition to their character.

Also, since we are veterans, please let us start at level 5 or 8 - too many lvl 1 games out there.

I'd be interested in a half elven fighter

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I'd even be fine with everyone at least developing their family honestly. With possibly around 7-8 players, even if they just do parents with 1 sibling, that's around a quarter of the npcs right there. Throw in grandparents, additional siblings, and maybe even a couple aunts, uncles, and/or cousins and we could see almost half of the NPCs right then and there.

Of course if someone wants to develop more, I certainly wont turn away the help and suggestions.

As for starting levels, I'd be more inclined for 3 if not 1, and could be talked into 5. Sorry but I'm a big fan of the lower levels and the creative implementation of the more limited tool sets available at that time. Like shocking grasp a puddle with 3 enemies in it or throwing a lit candle after chucking a couple open bags of grain flour at a group of enemies. That said I'm more than willing to do more a more story point progression style with a slightly accelerated track to compensate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Excellent. Now to brainstorm.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Cool, I'd suggest everyone develops around 10 npcs (friends and family) in addition to their character.

Also, since we are veterans, please let us start at level 5 or 8 - too many lvl 1 games out there.
    I agree on both counts: I've run a similar game a few years ago, and everyone chipping in to develop the community was a great way to make it more diverse and interesting. Plus, everyone from the village will have a family, so it kind of makes sense you create them as part of your background, you know?

As far as levels go, maybe 8 is a bit high for me, but I'd definitely prefer not starting from the very bottom. Between 3 and 5 would be my pick.

I think I'll go with a human wizard. I'm definitely going to go War Wizard as a subclass, if that's alright? I'll probably pick the soldier background since, well, that's what we're coming from.
    I'm thinking of a jaded young man, made somewhat grim by his years of war and by a disposition that doesn't quite know when to stop thinking about things. I'm thinking he'd probably be the group's tactician, but definitely not the leader of the band (unless no one else really wants the job).
    I'll probably develop his extended family for the NPCs. I think I'll keep them non-combatants aside from his mentor (since you are not just born a wizard, after all. I'm thinking a old, pacifist half-elf wizard).

@Pyrophilios, since you were planning on a half-elf yourself: maybe my guy's mentor is your fighter's relative or parent?
    Last edited by Shveiran; 2021-01-24 at 03:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Posting to keep track of this.

Currently Recruiting: Nothing currently. Maybe come sign up?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Then let's split the difference and go lvl 5.
    Third level spells and second attack make a huge difference in the available options.

@Shveiran
    Fine by me, I'd have gone for second generation half elf with grampa Glorfindel still hanging around in his Tower/Treehouse in the woods

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have no strong opinion on starting level. I think one certainly doesn't make sense if we've already been fighting in a campaign, but between 3 and 5 all works for me. I would like to look more into the bacckground before I really arrive at a charcchter though. How common are rarer raes like Genasi in this world? How civilised is the surrounding area, and are there any schools for certain traditions either monastic or arcane (maybe there are some we could have learnt at that have since been overrun/fallen into disrepair and reclaiming them could either boost your charahter or allow us to get some NPCs with relevant abilities.) How common is magic in the setting et cetera
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-01-24 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A cloister or monastery would be easy enough to add to such a valley (maybe close to the waterfalls that supply the river)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I am going to take the unpopular position that anything above 3rd level threatens the concept of the game. If we step back and think about this, we're asking to participate in a game of survival-tactical, a plauge of monsters attacking a region that we need to defend. Someone already proposed missions to rescue craftsmen, and villagers with skill sets we require to shore up defenses, heal the sick, make arrows, repair weapons, to farm, or purify water.

As we increase in level, magic becomes the solution to *all* of the above issues. At 5th level our cleric is tossing out Remove Curse, Create Food & Water, Daylight, and Revivify. Our wizard has access to Clairvoyance, Fireball, Fly, Gaseous Form, Leomund's Hut and Sleet Storm. Magic begins to outstrip Martials at that level, at least for utility, and utility is all a survival-tactical game is about. There's no fear of the dark if we have access to daylight, supply runs become ridiculous easy with access to phantom steed & fly, shelter outside of the walls? Leomund's Hut and no fear of attack.

So that is definately something to consider, or perhaps areas of the valley, or around the artifacts the approaching army is using are magic free zones, I am just not sure how to handle that aspect of the game. As we grow in level we'll eventually hit that wall regardless. So just throwing out my opinion.

Another question, I feel like the town would be well serviced by a noble, which means a small keep or manor. Why? Because if there isn't one, the army comes in people start obeying and listen to us. If we have a noble house, then technically, we have someone who outranks us, and if they have differing opinions on the defense of *their* town, then that creates a bunch of friction that would be cool to play with.

I want to stick to a concept that is a soldier who *isn't* from the valley, but views his companions as brothers bound by the blood of battle, which runs thicker than the water of the womb. And if the comment about nobles is incorporated I'd love to develop the lord, his sons, and the servants and staff of the keep.

As for character I will likely go with either a fighter or it's equivalent. Question though, can we swap out Gaming Proficiency from the Soldier background for a Tool Proficiency so we can contribute to the town's defense?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think Zero's points have merit, and that magic needs to be addressed.
    I'd argue however that starting at 3rd instead of 5th (though not something I'm strongly opposed to) doesn't really solve the issue: we are going to level up eventually, aren't we?
    I do however think an issue exists, and that is something the DM needs to address; my two cents are that, if we are constantly besieged, then finding spell-free solutions is still a very important thing. Sure, we can send someone to scout in relative safety with a fly spell; but it's not like we have many 3rd level slots, and a fireball or haste spell sure would come in handy in a few hours when the hostility resumes, right?
    Pacing is going to be king, as with most survival: the real threat doesn't come from what you are UNABLE to do, but by the fact that you don't have the TIME to do all you need.

I also had a free morning, so here is a character background and an extended family. Details are obviously negotiable, and obviously, I'll need to add the relationships with the other characters.
    @Pyrophilios: if you are game, Anastrianna Brightwood could be a potential aunt - mother - sister - cousin for you. Or not. I was trying to make sure she wouldn't outshine the party, since she reasonably knows higher level spells than us, but between her disability and her pacifism, I think we should be in the clear. She's still going to be an important resource, but she isn't likely to steal the spotlight.

Malcer Lackman, War Wizard

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Born into a hard-working family and with a mind full of questions, Malcer quickly developed an introspective disposition. He was not content to look at the world: he needed to understand why and how it worked, and every answer yielded ten more questions.
    After all, no one in his family would have considered “I was wondering if…” as a valid excuse for having idle hands. There was always something to do. Though Geth never seemed to have much time for him, he developed a good relationship with his sister Wendra and with his parents, whom he pestered with endless questions (while keeping busy).
    This worked at first, but it was very unfulfilling: neither of the three had a real education or even a real curiosity for what was not immediately useful. Malcer quickly found that asking a question to himself would usually yield better results than asking it out loud.
    In time he was tasked with looking after his younger brother Bran; the two developed a sort of symbiotic relationship: Malcer would talk, and Bran would listen; the younger boy would seldomly contribute, but he was interested in what Malcer was thinking about. For the first time, Malcer felt like someone cared about what was going on in his head. Bran was not particularly bright, but he was patient and determined: try after try, he would listen until he understood what Malcer was trying to figure out, then usually make a joke that would both crack Malcer up and prove that he had actually understood.

But being listened to was only good enough for so long: eventually, Malcer needed answers. And so he began to pester every neighbor he could find.
    This, naturally, led him mainly toward the resident wizard, the mysterious Anastrianna.
    She was the first to consider his questioning nature as a boon and not a nuisance, and asked his parents to educate him as an apprentice. Worried that Malcer, if stuck into a profession he was ill-suited for, could end up like his brother Geth, the two agreed if with somewhat mixed feelings (though in time they would come to believe they made the right choice).
    The one with Anastrianna is probably the most important relationship Malcer had in the village: the wizardess taught him all he knew about magic, but even more importantly made him feel like his need to just understand everything was not something wrong; though defining her as maternal would be a stretch, Anastrianna’s looked after her pupil for years: teaching, but also educating and helping him to figure out the man he wanted to be.
    And in that education, pacifism was a pillar: in the wizardess mind, magic was something pure and sacred. It was meant to help mortals achieve happiness, solving problems that would be impossible or time-consuming to solve without a spell, and never, never to destroy, let alone to take a life.
    And then war knocked at the door.
    Malcer was a timid boy, with little hunger for heroism or bloodshed. But as he looked at the kids he had grown up with join up with the army, he could not help but imagine the hardships they’d go through.
    And so, terrified as he was, he volunteered as well.
    To the dismay of his mother and mentor, he sheepishly replied: “You always taught me my job was to use magic to solve their problems, and this seems a rather big problem, doesn’t it? Don’t worry, I’ll bring them back safe and sound.

War shock Malcer to his core. Perhaps because of the cognitive load of casting a spell, nearly every life he took he perceived as a conscious choice, something a part of him (the part mentored by a pacifist) still feels guilty about.
    While not quite broken by the horror of war, death has left its mark on him; Malcer is occasionally grim, and nearly always serious, something his introspective nature only enhanced.
    Though not a lot of fun to be around, Malcer is a solid guy to have at your back; he is always thinking, always planning, and what he thinks and plans about is how to keep his friends alive. As Anastrianna taught him, a wizard cannot mend a broken body; and thus, a wizard must shape the world so that a broken body doesn’t come to be.
    His mentor would be disgusted to see that Malcer sometimes “shapes the world” by incinerating the enemy, but the principle still stands.
    Between his knowledge of magic, his quick intellect, and his habit to study the terrain, Malcer is an excellent tactician; though he is no leader of men, he has often acted as the band chief strategist.
    When he needs to wind down, Malcer has a bad relationship with alcohol: he uses it when he needs to stop thinking, which means exceeding on purpose. It is usually more healthy to engage in games, though he tends to prefer games of chances: the wizard is usually delighted when his careful planning according to the odds invariably leads to defeat through an improbably bad draw or unlucky roll of the dice.

Coming back to the village, Malcer will likely have a hard time coming to terms with how much everything has moved on: Silifrey is no longer a child but a woman, Garret is now his brother in law, his good-for-nothing brother Geth has been disinherited, and his bossy sister Wendra is now a mother of two.
    More importantly, his brother Bran and his mother Betha will likely have a hard time reconnecting their curious, quiet brother and son with this haunted war wizard. And perhaps most importantly, who can tell if his mentor Anastrianna will be more relieved to see her student back in one piece, or more disgusted by the fact that he now uses what she taught him to kill?

Spoiler: NPC Cast
    Show

Ander Lackman, Malcer’s father (56) human farmer
    A quiet, hard-working man. The kind of guy whose reaction to a landslide that wrecks his home is to sigh, roll up his sleeves, and get to digging. He spent his life building the family’s homestead and extending the farm, making sure his family didn’t go hungry. Though he is a faithful husband, he has always been more focused on the physical, practical needs of his children than with their upbringing. Something that has made the relationship somewhat distant now that they reached adulthood. The exception is her daughter Wendra, with whom he has always seen eye to eye. He has a good relationship with Wendra’s husband Ramas, who has won him over, but not with Bran’s husband Garret, who he believes too carefree.

Betha Helder, Malcer’s mother (56) human farmer
    Much like her husband Ander, Betha is a quiet, hard-working woman. Unlike her husband, however, she has always dedicated herself to the spiritual and moral well-being of her family. With a warm broth at the end of the day, a kind word, or a kinder touch, she has always been the heart of the family, trying to teach her children right.
    Silifrey is the apple of her eye, though her becoming a teenager is a brewing storm; she adores Bran’s husband Garret, and is worried sick about Geth finding his path before it is too late.

Geth Lackman, Malcer’s older brother (31) bachelor ruffian
    The older son of Ander and Betha, Geth is someone that never seemed capable of getting his life together. Though he is not a bad person, he has a fickle and lazy demeanour that made him unreliable. He would skirt responsibilities, trying to slip away to have tryst with other villagers. Once he lost the interest of those of his own age, he would lord his years over younger members of the community to lure them into doing as he did, skipping jobs and drinking to excess, so he could feel like a leader.
    Years of unreliability cost him the esteem of his family, to the point that though he was supposed to inherit the homestead, shortly before Malcer enrolled Ander and Betha decided the farm and house would go to Wendra and her husband Ramas instead.
    Geth is openly resentful of his sister and Ramas, who “stole his birthright”, but in truth he is simply a lost soul, unable to escape the errors of his youth, stuck in a small town that won’t let him forget them.
    He still works as a farmhand.

Wendra Lackman, Malcer’s older sister (29) human farmer
    Wendra is a small, headstrong, outspoken woman that has always taken the “don’t listen to your old brother” advice to heart. Wendra works hard and lets nothing stand in her way, be it idiots or a storm.
    She married Ramas, a big man that is as quiet as she is loud; the two are very much in tune with each other, and are expanding the farm with a flock of sheep that Ramas nurtured from the few calves gifted by his own family.
    They have a son, which was still an infant when Malcer enrolled.
    Wendra has a good relationship with most of her siblings, but not with Geth; when their parents granted her the right to the homestead, Betha guilted her into promising she’d look after her older brother until he could sort his life together. Wendra agreed, but Geth is resentful and she is angry at being stuck with him, after watching him walk from one mess to the next all her life. Wendra is plagued by the fear that he’ll do something disastrous and destroy the homestead.
    Currently pregnant, which doesn’t stop her from working or ordering everyone about.

Ramas Stormwind, Wendra’s husband (31) human shepherd
    Big as a barn door and just as serene, Ramas seems like a gentle giant. You might think him a submissive husband to his domineering wife, but that would be a mistake: much like a boulder, Ramas wishes no one harm; but if you try to push him, you’ll find he won’t move an inch. And if you force a clash, you’ll be the one to break. He says little, but when he does speak it’s cause he means it.
    Ramas goes along with Ander famously well, and just as poorly with Geth, which he grew up with.
    He adores his son Luth, and spends most of his time caring for their small flock of sheep, which he raised from a few calves gifted by his family.

Luth Stormwind, Wendra’s son (5) human child
    Luth is a young boy with more questions than patience, absolutely amazed by pretty much anything he notices; but like most children, his attention is easily drawn by the next topic, abandoning the old.
    As a result of his father’s main occupation, he grew up among animals and (though obviously just a child) he kind of knows how to handle a sheep.

Bran Lackman, Malcer’s younger brother (23) carpenter and lumberjack
    Growing up, Bran was probably Malcer’s best friend. He had a sort of hero-worship for his older brother, and was among the few that didn’t grew aggravated by Malcer’s inclination to think and speculate about pretty much everything. Though not quite as bright and younger besides, Bran shares Malcer’s inquisitive nature. Their discussions would be closer to dissertation on Malcer part (first because of their age difference, then because of their different education) but Bran would always, always manage to follow. Slow and steady, he would ponder and ask questions until he got it; and then he would make a joke that would have Malcer smile for days.
    However, the war has changed Malcer; whether this friendship will survive it remains to be seen.
    As the fourth son, Garret was never in line for the farm, so he was sent as an apprentice lumberjack. He has done rather good for himself, establishing himself not only as a lumberjack but also as a woodcarver in the village. Whether you need to repay a roof or build a home, he is the man you want to call.

Garret Tealeaf, Bran’s husband (21) halfling musician
    Garret is not originally from the village. Originally a wanderer, his lighthearted nature and musical talent win him just as many points as being an outsider and not having a real job cost him.
    The halfling, nevertheless, ended up staying, working odd-jobs and apparently unfazed by his uncertain prospects. Though he was already hitting it off with Bran back when Malcer enrolled, the two only recently married. Garret usually helps as a farmhand, or looks after children, or does pretty much whatever needs doing.
    Ander looks at him with suspicion, but Betha is absolutely charmed, and his easy charm kind of won over all the family.

Silifrey Lackman, Malcer’s younger sister (15) farmhand and cheesemonger
    Silifrey is by far the sibling Malcer is the least close to, not out of malice but because she is the youngest: for most of her life, Malcer was either deep in his training or at war.
    Following Ramas and Wendra breeding of a flock of sheep, Silifrey has specialized as a cheesemonger to make use of the milk; though of course this is only one of her occupation as part of the farm.
    As the youngest member of the family, Silifrey is kind of sick of being seen by a child by everyone else. She has a deep bond with Garret, who “gets it”.

Anastrianna Brightwood, Malcer’s mentor (110) half-elf wizardess
    Anastrianna is a wizardess with a mysterious past, who came to the village either looking for a simpler life or fleeing from something. Her left leg is marble from the calf up, the result of a “accident” she refuses to elaborate on, which causes both circulation problems and a severe restriction of her mobility.
    Since you just don’t turn away a spellcaster, Anastrianna has made her home in the village.
    She was the one to notice Malcer’s bright disposition and to demand him as an apprentice; since by the time Ander and Betha had three more children, they thought it was a good way to secure a bright future for him and agreed.
    Anastrianna is a brilliant woman, but also a haunted one; she drinks to excess, keeps to herself, and strongly believes that magic should not be used to take lives.
    For all her baggage, she was a patient teacher that made learning a joy; she and Malcer spent countless hours exploring the theory of magic and experimenting. She was also aware that becoming a child’s mentor means you are signing in to answer questions unrelated to the subject matter, and the century-old wizardess has patiently helped Malcer through the doubts and turmoil of human adolescence.
    Last edited by Shveiran; 2021-01-24 at 09:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Mind if I repurpose some or all of the NPCs from Oakenleaf?

And by what method should we generate our stats and HP?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Shveiran:
    - War wizard is certainly okay, especially if we're still going along with the theme of at least part of this group having left the town for a while to become soldiers in the capital's army, and then having returned home for some much needed R&R
    - And with a village of this size, there probably would be something of a wizard around to provide magical solutions to everyday problems, who would have also taught you the basics and beginnings of magic, before sending you on to better tutelage in the larger cities. I certainly don't mind if ya create him in terms of who he was and the personality, but I'd prefer to have final say on overall level and the available spells he or really any NPC would have.
    - And wow... I'm going to have to take some time to read over all that submitted material.

JbeJ275: Alright, let's break this down and I'll give some initial answers to each of these questions, and any that anyone doesn't care for, we can discuss further to either find a compromise or establish a hard set rule
    - I'd say rare races are per the name-sake rare in this world with a few being unheard of even.
    - Also, I am open to having a couple less standard or even monstrous races having families and/or relatives within this valley, and think there would be some interesting roleplay opportunities when Delmont, his ogre wife Urdai, and their Ogrillion child run into the village seeking shelter from the invasion despite the stares and whispers, and then Granny brandishes that wooden spoon on anyone who harasses them.
    - The Valley itself I would say is fairly civilized, though the forests inside would be large enough that a decent variety of small to medium monsters could still lurk in them, especially the forest in the south east where the lost village is. Beyond that valley I would say there is a several days ride to the next town or city.
    - As with the answers to Shveiran, there is enough development here that I would say some wizard took up residency and probably sells magical remedies to common problems, and/or sells a few potions out of shop. There would probably be something of a tower as well maybe a short ways from the town so he'd have some privacy and closer access to raw ingredients for the potions.
    - Some kind of church would also probably be expected with a village of this size.
    - As a whole I believe with what's being suggested and mentioned here, I'd say magic is somewhat common in this world, at least to the point of everyone knowing about it and probably not screaming "burn the witch" whenever a spell is cast. I would however like to keep it at about that level, where most know of it, aren't outright afraid of it, but it's not so plentiful that everyone has magical items, and even the local wizard's shop isn't loaded up with them.

Zero Prime:
    - I do kind of have to agree that I'd prefer to see this start at a lower level, but I can work around things and perform other tricks to keep this interesting if that's not everyone's preference. I can work at 5th level, just have to make the rescues a bit tougher and work in a few more enemy casters with counters to such spells that would normally trivialize tasks. Could also outright say a few spells that would erase the survival aspect of this game simply don't exist. Heck, and then there's always the collateral damage to think about with the bigger spells. This valley isn't just a battlefield, it's a home and would need to be one afterwards, so tossing a fireball at the group of goblins in the farm's field and setting the entire crop ablaze along with possibly the farm houses and the barn where the livestock would live would be rather extensively frowned upon.
    - Ultimately we might need to just let the starting level come down to a vote at the end, as I'm willing to adjust the campaign to fit anything from 1-5 at the start.
    - And agreed, there would almost certainly be a noble of some kind, a baron or local lord of the valley given once again, the remote location that actually required a keep to be built, and you have my permission to begin work on that.

JNAProductions:
    - I'm alright with ya repurposing those, though I think Zero's already wanting to develop the mayor/baron/local lord.
    - Also with this game meant to be more focused on survival and tactics, I believe I would be in favor of a 27 point buy for stats, and half-round up for HP except for the first level which would be max'd. Though this can be debated and discussed further.

Everyone:
    - Actually, why don't we expand on a few of JBbeJ275's questions and decide as a whole on them. Here are my initial suggestions as a starting point.
    - First off, what races should be common in this world and which shouldn't be. I find that can always be an interesting point in any world and can largely influence society. For a wild suggestion/example, why not have humans actually be a minority in the world, and the larger populations actually be Tieflings and/or halflings.
    - Secondly, I mentioned the valley itself being fairly remote in the kingdom, hence the need for a separate keep at its entrance so a standing force could be stationed there for defense. Inside the valley though, I'd still say the forests are large enough to play host to a decent variety of small to medium monsters, maybe even a large one or two lurking in the south eastern one. Might just convert that "lost village" into an old ruin. I would also venture into saying there are several caves about the valley's wall-like mountains where several monsters could lurk.
    - In terms of the local wizard, my initial suggestions would be elderly, has more or less retired to a fairly quiet study of the nearby ruin and her respective school which I'm going to vote on being transmutation. Will have taken on a couple apprentices here and there, though they would still be initiates or at the MOST, 1st levels, with her two story tower (with basement) being just a short ways outside the village to the south where she'd be closer to raw ingredients and the ruins she'd want to study.
    - Now flipping over to the religious side of things, I would actually like this to branch into the founding of the valley. Let's say initially there was a temple to the green goddess Eldath here, half built onto and half carved into the stone mountainside next to and around the northern waterfalls. A secondary underground pool behind the temple feeds into the main river as well, but not before passing through the temple where it provides water for a large garden/glade that's used in both druidic and clerical rituals, both of which also inhabit the temple. The natural purity and rumored blessing of these waters that helped cure sickness, disease, and madness brought pilgrims and the desperate on the long and sometimes dangerous journey to the temple. Whether or not their afflictions were cured, the people who made this journey came to settle in the valley and over time it grew into the fair sized village it's become. When the closest kingdom officially rose into power and set about establishing its borders, they found this thriving village out on the fringes and laid claim to it, setting up the keep to offer additional protections and in return there would exports of foods, and the access to setup the southern mine closest to the keep where the plentiful ore could be sent back to the capital.
    - A common ritual for this temple is a practice of coming to an agreement or ending an argument in the glade, and then tossing an item associate with the argument into the small but deep pond, both literally and figuratively burying the "hatchet". As such the pool in the center of the glade has become host to a wide assortment of various items.
    - So now, both druids and clerics have a presence in this valley and while there are some rivalry between the two, there is also respect as they both come to honor and worship the same goddess who preaches peace and the absolution of disagreements. They could also be primarily responsible for why the valley hasn't been clear-cut and VERY closely monitor the logging situation.
    - Lastly, we come to the level of magic in the world. I'm on the notion of this being a medium or average magic setting. Magic is common, enough so that everyone knows it exists and has likely seen it done, but not everyone has or even can do it. Magic items by extension do exist, but aren't so everyday common that many have them, and even the wizard's shop isn't overly stocked up with them.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-24 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Others posted while I was working on this, and I need to add replies to their things

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

In regards to racial mix, I am not sure I am comfortable relegating humans to the minority, if only because I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I can visualize and come up with rivalries and in a medieval town that resembles something from history. I can't fathom what that would look like for elves that live for centuries, or dwarves, or tieflings, not as cohesively anyways.

I'm not saying I am against non humans in the population, but trying to envision a nation of tieflings or halflings is a degree more difficult for me.

And as for JNA's question, we could certainly have villagers who the other commoners look up to and treat as mayor, despite the noble being present in the town. I plan on making him our foil anyways, so he's generally going to be a prick, heh.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    In regards to racial mix, I am not sure I am comfortable relegating humans to the minority, if only because I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I can visualize and come up with rivalries and in a medieval town that resembles something from history. I can't fathom what that would look like for elves that live for centuries, or dwarves, or tieflings, not as cohesively anyways.

I'm not saying I am against non humans in the population, but trying to envision a nation of tieflings or halflings is a degree more difficult for me.

And as for JNA's question, we could certainly have villagers who the other commoners look up to and treat as mayor, despite the noble being present in the town. I plan on making him our foil anyways, so he's generally going to be a prick, heh.
    Yeah-I figured Meekly might be a sticking point.

But he can just be the elder-the old elf that everyone knows, everyone likes, everyone respects, and everyone listens to. Or at least, most everyone-there's bound to be SOME sticks-in-the-mud who prefer listening to the noble authority. :P

I got work now for over eight hours, but I'll check in on breaks.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Same here.
    I'm perfectly alright with players being allowed to play fringe races, but it is a lot easier to picture strange race as the exception. It takes a lot of cognitive load to re-immagine the world as being genasi-centric and not human-centric, so unless it is required by the specifics of the game (I dunno, "let's play as the retinue of an orc warchief") I think its best to keep vanilla humans as the norm.
    That way, everyone has an easy time imagining what the merchant looks like and the players that want to play as a genasi get to feel distinctive and unique.

Also, that scene with the ogre family? It sounds amazing. Yes please.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Alright, looks like the racial rewrite looks to be on the way out, which don't get me wrong, is perfectly fine. I'm more than okay with just having rare races be rare races. So we'll have a bit of a melting pot of the standards, maybe a slight majority being human with plenty of half-breeds scattered in and among them and topped off with a a few fringe cases.

And yeah, I'm already planning on adding Delmont, his affectionately referred to "delicate little flower" of a wife (who's proceeding do drive one goblin into the ground with another goblin and getting quite upset about the stains it's leaving on her pretty dress), and their kind hearted child.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-24 at 11:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

@Shveiran

Works for me, she is the Granny for Gerwulf Visserad

@all
    As mentioned by others, we won't escape the 5th level. I think it's easier to restrict certain spells like Goodberries (which alleviate hunger problems at level 2). My main fear is that at the very low levels there is little wiggle room for solutions due the few available abilities - and combat it horribly swingy even with simple goblins as your opponents. Martials are even worse of at these levels as most often their only action available in combat is the attack action. At 5th level you can at least mix in a shove here and there - and you have the option for a feat to mix things up.

Besides: Food shouldn't be the real problem in this situation. Plenty of stores and woods with prey around. The danger comes from the fact that you need to venture out of the relative safety of the village to accomplish anything, but if you don't go out, the village will be overrun eventually.
    You need to take care of a certain ammount of enemies every day, or their numbers will steadily grow until you are overrun.

In my interpretation, the keep is in enemy hands with a closed gate. Escaping the valley doesn't do any good unless you can take a 100 people with you - without getting shot down by a Hobgoblin druid with call lightning. The outside world knows relatively quickly about the predicament. But there's a war on, the valley is remote and the Keep is - at least from the outside - nearly unassailable.

I'm also proposing parallel DMing, so we all can play characters, as well as leave our character in the village to get some crafting done (also vote for being able to exchange gaming proficiency for something more useful).

I'll use the evening to write up my PC and the NPCs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    Spoiler: SPOILER
    Show

JbeJ275: Alright, let's break this down and I'll give some initial answers to each of these questions, and any that anyone doesn't care for, we can discuss further to either find a compromise or establish a hard set rule
    - I'd say rare races are per the name-sake rare in this world with a few being unheard of even.
    - Also, I am open to having a couple less standard or even monstrous races having families and/or relatives within this valley, and think there would be some interesting roleplay opportunities when Delmont, his ogre wife Urdai, and their Ogrillion child run into the village seeking shelter from the invasion despite the stares and whispers, and then Granny brandishes that wooden spoon on anyone who harasses them.
    - The Valley itself I would say is fairly civilized, though the forests inside would be large enough that a decent variety of small to medium monsters could still lurk in them, especially the forest in the south east where the lost village is. Beyond that valley I would say there is a several days ride to the next town or city.
    - As with the answers to Shveiran, there is enough development here that I would say some wizard took up residency and probably sells magical remedies to common problems, and/or sells a few potions out of shop. There would probably be something of a tower as well maybe a short ways from the town so he'd have some privacy and closer access to raw ingredients for the potions.
    - Some kind of church would also probably be expected with a village of this size.
    - As a whole I believe with what's being suggested and mentioned here, I'd say magic is somewhat common in this world, at least to the point of everyone knowing about it and probably not screaming "burn the witch" whenever a spell is cast. I would however like to keep it at about that level, where most know of it, aren't outright afraid of it, but it's not so plentiful that everyone has magical items, and even the local wizard's shop isn't loaded up with them.

Everyone:
    - Actually, why don't we expand on a few of JBbeJ275's questions and decide as a whole on them. Here are my initial suggestions as a starting point.
    - First off, what races should be common in this world and which shouldn't be. I find that can always be an interesting point in any world and can largely influence society. For a wild suggestion/example, why not have humans actually be a minority in the world, and the larger populations actually be Tieflings and/or halflings.
    - Secondly, I mentioned the valley itself being fairly remote in the kingdom, hence the need for a separate keep at its entrance so a standing force could be stationed there for defense. Inside the valley though, I'd still say the forests are large enough to play host to a decent variety of small to medium monsters, maybe even a large one or two lurking in the south eastern one. Might just convert that "lost village" into an old ruin. I would also venture into saying there are several caves about the valley's wall-like mountains where several monsters could lurk.
    - In terms of the local wizard, my initial suggestions would be elderly, has more or less retired to a fairly quiet study of the nearby ruin and her respective school which I'm going to vote on being transmutation. Will have taken on a couple apprentices here and there, though they would still be initiates or at the MOST, 1st levels, with her two story tower (with basement) being just a short ways outside the village to the south where she'd be closer to raw ingredients and the ruins she'd want to study.
    - Now flipping over to the religious side of things, I would actually like this to branch into the founding of the valley. Let's say initially there was a temple to the green goddess Eldath here, half built onto and half carved into the stone mountainside next to and around the northern waterfalls. A secondary underground pool behind the temple feeds into the main river as well, but not before passing through the temple where it provides water for a large garden/glade that's used in both druidic and clerical rituals, both of which also inhabit the temple. The natural purity and rumored blessing of these waters that helped cure sickness, disease, and madness brought pilgrims and the desperate on the long and sometimes dangerous journey to the temple. Whether or not their afflictions were cured, the people who made this journey came to settle in the valley and over time it grew into the fair sized village it's become. When the closest kingdom officially rose into power and set about establishing its borders, they found this thriving village out on the fringes and laid claim to it, setting up the keep to offer additional protections and in return there would exports of foods, and the access to setup the southern mine closest to the keep where the plentiful ore could be sent back to the capital.
    - A common ritual for this temple is a practice of coming to an agreement or ending an argument in the glade, and then tossing an item associate with the argument into the small but deep pond, both literally and figuratively burying the "hatchet". As such the pool in the center of the glade has become host to a wide assortment of various items.
    - So now, both druids and clerics have a presence in this valley and while there are some rivalry between the two, there is also respect as they both come to honor and worship the same goddess who preaches peace and the absolution of disagreements. They could also be primarily responsible for why the valley hasn't been clear-cut and VERY closely monitor the logging situation.
    - Lastly, we come to the level of magic in the world. I'm on the notion of this being a medium or average magic setting. Magic is common, enough so that everyone knows it exists and has likely seen it done, but not everyone has or even can do it. Magic items by extension do exist, but aren't so everyday common that many have them, and even the wizard's shop isn't overly stocked up with them

OK nice, let me go through these in turn.

-We'll get more into this later but that's totally fair.
    -Yeah, I ws considering Genasi as a potential option, obviously they blend in among humans so it's good to know they're on the table regardless.
    -But no tribal humanoids within the valley? Fine either way just onsidering stuff. And would the monsters be a posible source of pests before this or did they keep to their lairs unless disturbed?
    -Nice
    -Yeah almost certainly.
    -Ok, that totlly works for me.

-
    - I was wondering mostly about genasi as above, as they are usually a very rare rae but one that nonetheless is very similiar to humans.
    -Nice, a dungeon we cn rid or unleash againt the enemies has some fun potential
    -OK, yeah a non combat wizard seems like a good things to have.
    -I really like this, a site fairly distant from the population that we still need to hold for support and morale reasons while also potentially drawing in a few families from further abroad allowing a few less convential PC families is a nice site.
    -
    -Would you extend that to maybe some paladins in training treeating it like a holy site as well so one's from the army might have reason to go there on leave? Could be a good draw. Also I like the worldbuilding, very fun.
    -Meduim magic seems good, gotta keep it scarcce enough to not negate all difficulties while also being actively present in the setting.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-01-24 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Pyrophilios:
    I think I'd honestly rather just run this myself, its bringing me back to the days when I ran a town/event for my LARP but had to withdraw because of time and money constraints on top of moving farther away. Though if you're wanting to run a similar or alternate game, I'd be happy to share ideas and collaborate

As towards the threat, I think I agree. There should be plenty of food stores, it might not all be in the main village and accessible, so there might be some quests to escort wagons out to retrieve the stores but it would be available. Similar standing goes for other raw materials as well. It's there, just nobody was expecting a surprise invasion from a large goblinoid force, so it'll need to be recovered, possibly along with people who end up captured or are hiding out who are friends and family as well as extra hands to help with the defenses. Still the end goal should be to rout the invasion and retake the keep, something certainly possible since most of the defenses were setup facing away from the valley. It wouldn't have been built to try and fight anyone inside it.

And yeah, I replied initially in private, but might as well announce aloud, I dont mind anyone swapping gaming, instrument, and tool proficiencies about. If needed, please refer to the table in Tasha'a cauldron

JbeJ275:
    - I have no qualms about the Gensai being present, my only constraints are ties to the town. If you want to try and have a rogue gensai leave their traditional home and settle there much like the demonstration ogre, that's fine. If you just want your character to have been stationed there for a while and gotten to know several of the villages, that's fine too. Heck, I'd even be alright with the whole "band or brothers" feeling where all the ties are indirect. The biggest point is establishing in game connections to the town so your character would have a fair to strong desire to see it saved.
    - As towards the smaller groups of monsters, given the level of development present in this area, I just don't see how a band of troublemaking tribal goblins, bandits, gnolls, etc would honestly be able to inhabit the forests and not be rooted out. Now if we expand out to the unexplored caves that pocket the mountains, there could, should, and very likely will be some tribal like groups hiding out in there. Got to have some reason for the guard patrols before the invasion happened.
    - Yes, I am already forming plans for that ruin, with plenty of interesting things lying inside.
    - Excellent point and one we might want to remember going forward, morale of the populace will have an effect on them and the outcomes of certain situations.
    - Yes, paladins would certainly be welcome, initiates could receive their initial training, and those wishing to go for an oath of ancients or redemption might find some additional training.
    - Thank you, world building was one of my favorite parts back when I did the LARP thing and I'm really liking all the open talk about it here. Though it was always entertaining to watch them stumble through the lore and draw their own conclusions from the hints and pieces that'd been left behind from what actually happened.

Like there was this one ancient race of humanoids made of stone that when they died, they just kind of went back to being regular stone. Well the players who discovered a bunch of corpses of this ancient race spent a while thinking they were just victims of petrification given how they also looked to have been running away from something.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-24 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Once again, adding responses due to more posts while I was working on this one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Fine by me

By the way, the map is now free for all to edit who have the link (made a copy just in case)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So the noble family in town, do they have a keep? ie. stone fortifications, or simply a large manor house? Just curious. Even a simple keep would make sense given that the village is fairly robust, 100 people inside, plus however many families outside in the rural area.

Regardless, I will likely be going with an Echo Knight, refluffed slightly, to be a haunted warrior driven to slay goblins & orcs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Pyrophilio:
    - Excellent and thanks again for providing the map. I don't know why I'd never though of using excel as a map maker before. Might just have to incorporate that into some of the other games I'm running around here.

Zero Prime:
    I'd be more in favor of the manor house in the main village for this noble, and he might have had a second lodging at the keep at the entrance to the valley, or the other way around where the black keep that'll be overrun at the start of the game was his main lodging and the manor house was a mix of secondary home and office.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

That works then, so he's retreated to his summer home. There should totally be a vineyard for wine!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This might just be me, but I really feel like a 100 people community isn't likely to have all these components.

I mean, considering about a fifth are going to be kids, and most of the others should be focused on food production just for the community to stay alive... there aren't that many people left.
    Sure, a wizard and a couple of holy men? That's just a couple of people.
    But a noble?
    I mean, someone is bound to be in charge, but he or she isn't likely to have guards or more than one servant. A few specialized artisans, sure, be they blacksmiths, cobblers, or miners, but that is likely all.
    Unless there is a magical way to gather food, a community this small doesn't really have much redundancy.

Sorry, I don't want to be that guy and go "uhm actually".
    If we want to just build our NPCs adding what we find fun, there really isn't a problem.
    But it sounds like we were aiming to keep the logistics somewhat realistic, and if so, 100 people just isn't a big settlement.

Look, for instance, how likely is there to be a tavern?
    Unless there are enough travelers to provide an income, the ten or fifteen families in the village aren't going to eat or sleep at the tavern; they have homes. Sure, there is drinking, but how much are people without wages gonna spend on drinks each day? An inn is something that exist to attract travelers or in large settlements; otherwise, farmers just make their own booze and invite each other over when they want to have a drink together.
    But I don't hate taverns! Taverns are a DnD staple, godsdamnit! If we want a tavern because that's a cool setting, I'm game!
    I just think we should get on the same page about how realistic we want things to be.
    Last edited by Shveiran; 2021-01-24 at 03:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

I don’t really care about how realistic it is as long as it’s not ridiculous in unreality.

Others may feel different, and I’m flexible on it.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember it's a "village" of a hundred people, you'll never have enough food production in a medieval town to feed those people. So it's a hub of 100 people with about 3x that number within a day or two of the village. Every mid week farmers for miles end up bringing those goods into a market square.

Each farm family has four fields, three of which are in use at any time while the one lays fallow. That's why food **is** important because it's not being grown behind the walls. It needs to be brought in, along with livestock. Once we start barricading the village it will be overcrowded because of the outlying families.

And you're damn right there a tavern, for the farmers a day's ride from their family, in for market. The traveling cobbler here to repair those boots you've been plowing the fields in for years, not to mention that minstrel who comes through twice a year for a dance 'round the May Pole with old nan's buxom grand daughter.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-01-24 at 03:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Can't but think we should also work out exactly how large this valley is, because I'm getting the feeling several have different ideas on just how large each of those squares are supposed to be. Now I'm in favor of this valley being big enough that on foot and walking, it'd take about 2 days to cross depending on where ya started from. I know that's an awful method of measurement, but that was the baseline I was picturing. What was everyone else thinking?

Also wasn't really going to count any of the soldiers, servants, etc that inhabited the keep since they won't even have a chance to be part of the game.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-01-24 at 03:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I just recently stole... I mean, got inspired by JNAProductions to create maps with google tables

So on then to Cpt. Gerwulf Visserad and his extended family.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Gerwulf
    Show

Gerwulf was always ahead of the curve. It began with him being born a full three weeks before he was supposed to and causing his mother Ana no small amount of distress as to his ability to survive. But in the end the drop of elvish blood - inherited from his grandma Anastrianna Brightwood - won out and the sickly little boy turned into a bundle of pure energy. Despite not being particularly strong, he managed to cajol, reason, fast talk - and if no other means remained - plainly bully and command his peers to support his latest scheme.
    As the second son on the estate, his future was supposed to contain a trade. And although the boy was creative and blessed with agile fingers, neither smithing nor carpenting proved to hold his interest for any long time. At 16 he had already given up on two apprenticeships and had turned into the worry of his mother and father.
    This changed when the family visited the annual fair at the Black Keep, where for the first time the baronet had set up a tournament, where the royal Dragoons displayed all their considerable skills.
    From that day, Gerwulf knew what he wanted to be: A soldier with shiny buttons on his uniform. That very night he wrote his goodbyes to his parents and stole away to the tents around the keep to enlist. And so it came to it, that Gerwulf returned to the valley a full Lieutenant, ready to convince his childhood friends and their younger siblings to join the fight against the vile goblins. Just half a year and everybody would come home rich and happy, having shown those furry little cowards what was what.

The second time he returned as a captain. With him came those surviving the previous three years of brutal campaign. His return was accompanied by the hateful stares of those families, that he had robbed of their children and brought back only despair.

Spoiler: Family Visserad
    Show

Kane Visserad, 58 and Ana Visserad, 50, born Brightwood, Gerwulf's parents
    Ana was the most beautiful girl in the whole valley - at least according to Gerwulf's dad, who married against his father's wishes the quarter-fey. Ana to this day has kept her beauty, despite being close to 50 now and a life of hard work. Always kind and patient, she soon had won over her father in law - even though in his eyes she would have done well to be less free with alms and charity to her fellow neighbors. Needless to say that her neighbors found nothing wrong with that and she was and is a well liked guest anywhere in the valley.
    Kane Visserad is a headstrong and stubborn man of tremendous will and endurance. The fights he and his father had, are the stuff of legends around the valley. It's said that he once felled a full acre of forrest - all by himself over three days - just to prove to his old man, that there was enough time to do so before the harvest. The two nearly came to blows when his father remarked, that he had he had worn down his axe head unreasonably much. Despite that or maybe because, he turned out to be a doting father and loving husband to his three sons and two daughters. When he took over the estate, he not only increased the farm's yield twofold, but managed to pay off all old debts on the property. Now at 58 he pays the price of his reckless overworking. His bones - most of all his back - hurt him daily and most of his old strength is gone. Now he has to rely on his first born son to keep what he worked so hard to gain.

Rand Visserad, 88, Gerwulf's grandfather
    Rand was and is a miser and a bully. At 88 that hasn't changed one bit. Originally from a city far to the north, he was given a plot of land in recognition of his exemplary service with the Royal Dragoons. As the valley had precious few men learned in these things, he also took over the duties of the sheriff, enforcing the baron's law and will.
    Having no experience with farming, but unquestioned authority, he picked people and retainers to work for him, until he had learned the basics. Uncharitable neighbors called him a tyrannt - a verdict that was supported by his habit of dragging anyone and anybody in front of the baronet if there was any dispute to be had or an advantage for him to gain.
    Low pay and as many kicks as you couldn't dodge made working on his farm a less than desired opportunity. Whoever had the choice, prefered to do something else. On the other hand he gained a reputation of being able to bring even the bendiest of delinquents back on the straight and narrow, ensuring that he always had some parents sent over their progeny for straightening.
    His first wife died young. Some said she died, because she couldn't stand to be around him for even one day longer. Having no idea what to do with his four year old first born son, he set upon finding another wife with the same economics, that he had applied to his whole life: He purchased the debt of a fellow steadholder, demanding their daughter's hand in exchange for forgoing the money.
    Except for Kane, none of his three other sons stayed around longer than they had to, moving away from Visserad Farm as soon as they could. When Kane took over the estate, Rand soon turned into a husk of his former self, full only of bile and regrets.

Ian Visserad, Gerwulf's older brother, 31
    Ian appears to be the silent, contemplative type - always working, but also always with an eye looking for trouble. If pressed Ian displayed a temper that reminded people eerily of his grand father Rand. Not a one in the village would dare to try something with Ian, lest they wanted to find themselves at the wrong end of his fists. To Gerwulf his three years older brother always was his idol, even though Ian always tried to keep him at distance. In truth, Ian always envied his little brother and the attention the lively kid drew upon himself. The day when Gerwulf enlisted and ran away was the day, that Ian finally breathed free and incidentally met his future wife. These days, Ian is a lot more relaxed, having proven to his father that he is the reliable, good son. Having Gerwulf back can only lead to tension.

Owen Visserad, Gerwulf's younger brother, 26
    Owen, like Gerwulf, showed the elvish blood the strongest. Fair and kind as his mother, he always suffered under the tensions he felt between his father and grandfather as well as between his older brothers. Even at only eight years of age, he already tried his hand as a peacekeeper and negotiator within the family. His empathy and willingness to go the extra mile to resolve other people's disputes invariably led to him seeking a higher path: Only two years after Gerwulf had gone, he joined the seminary to become a cleric of Eldath, joining the local temple.

Ira Visserad, Gerwulf's younger sister, 25
    Red haired, mischevious and an incorrigible gossip, Ira loved to stirr up trouble even more than Gerwulf - and took over the gang of youths when her brother left the valley. Her marriage to her husband only two years later was the talk of the valley - considering that her belly already bulged considerably at the time. Now she is a mother herself and not nearly as faithful a wife as her husband would wish. She was looking forward to seeing Gerwulf again, but seethed when he left, as he took with him her latest lover and - as she believes - her true love. When Gerwulf returned the second time without bringing him back, she grew cold and bitter, unable to tell anyone her true feelings or show her grief.

Aletha Visserad, Gerwulf's youngest sister, 22
    Blond, tall and strong, Aletha resembled her oldest brother Ian most. Unlike Gerwulf, she had no trouble finding a trade she liked and convinced her parents to become a carpenter. Despite the nine year age difference, she and Ian are a team in any family dispute. And surprisingly, she is the only one who really gets along well with her grandfather. Her feelings for Gerwulf are complicated, but not unkind. In her opinion, Gerwulf made a huge mistake by leaving the valley and instead should quit the army for good to settle down. In that regard, she is quite relentless in her mission.

Karn Visserad, Gerwulf's uncle, remaining in the valley, 48
    Karn suffered possibly the most under his father Rand. Where Kane fought tooth and nail for his father's respect, Karn took the blows and turned inward. It was a surprise to exactly no-one when Karn one day left the estate and went to join the hunter's camp. A good shot and rumored to be able to talk to all animals, he became a valued guide for the Baronet's hunts. That is, until he was sent away from that job - rumor has it, he got a little too friendly with the Baronet's daughter. Nowadays, he still lives somewhere in the woods, coming to town only to sell honey and game, before vanishing once more for a few months.

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-01-25 at 09:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, according to 5E overland rules, the average pace is 3 miles an hour, 24 miles a day. So two days ride would be 48 miles, so how about the valley's about 50 miles wide, and about a hundred long, with the village about a day's ride south of the mouth of the valley, ie. Black Keep.