Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 390
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    thoroughlyS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sinus Concordiae, Selene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    The Tanarukk as both orc and demon listed as its subtypes.
    Those aren't types, those are tags. Tanarukk's only have the fiend type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol0botmate View Post
    I have to read everything very carefully first but remember that there are now options for better unarmed attacks like Simic Hybrid, Unarmed Fighting Style (d8 dice) and Path of the Beast (d6 magical damage +1 attack).
    Weirdly, the Dhampyr bite is a simple melee weapon, not an unarmed strike.
    Goblin in the Playground

    Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
    Those aren't types, those are tags. Tanarukk's only have the fiend type.

    Weirdly, the Dhampyr bite is a simple melee weapon, not an unarmed strike.
    Thus a paladin could have a smite bite.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OracleofWuffing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    My headcannon involves a Dhampir that craves Esoteric Humors, and sates it by scrying up internet memes.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Shame it wouldn't work with sneak attack. Powerbiting people as a rogue is a funny image to me.
    That would be EXTREMELY over powered. Rogues can easily do 26 damage at level 10, equating to a 52 damage swing, that you could do three times in a pinch.

    The thing that strikes me odd about the dhampir is that they get standard 60 ft darkvision. It would be far more flavorful to give them 120 with sunlight sensativity, drow style. Really drive the “you are part vampire”
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    To me it seems more bizarre than interesting. What rationale, what physical mechanism, is supposed to be in play here? It's about as comprehensible as Cha-based movement rates or Str-based AC.
    Their suck capacity, I’d wager.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    "You run away from yourself and have an existential crisis until you take a hit which snaps you back to the present"
    Heh, that works too. And it's a bit funnier.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
    I would like to say that I don't hold myself as any kind of authority on this subject. I am glad that someone has adopted my guide so readily.
    Each of the tools folks have come up has their strengths and weaknesses, to be sure. I certainly appreciate the work you have put in, and I really liked the two sheets that showed the across the board comparison and then the "here's how I'd try to level things a bit" - inexact, as a lot of balance efforts are, but worth considering as a balance consideration the next time someone says "what if we ..."
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Huh. Well, I don't mind this lineages idea itself, but I don't think any of these are for me, personally. Closest thing to one I'd consider playing is the Hexblood, and even then, I doubt it - I just at least understand why there might be appeal to playing a character with such a close connection to Hags (and the "Magic Token" ability in particular is legitimately a cool, flavorful way to portray that). I definitely wouldn't want to play a Dhampir, personally, and I don't even understand Reborn. Much like the Reborn Rogue subclass, they just seem like an odd mish-mash of strange concepts to me - the most coherent one being the elements clearly based on Frankenstein, while others like "you were resurrected with magic, but something went wrong" don't even make sense to me on a base level. What went wrong? How? Why? Why would this weird combination of maybe-undead-maybe-not traits and amnesia be the result? Why is this whole lineage being so vague about what it is and why it exists?* It's all just odd to me.

    Still, these things don't need to appeal to me personally - Hexblood and Dhampir at least are fine. I just really don't get Reborn.

    *Actually, that's a bit of a problem for all of them, I think. They're so vague that it takes a while to even figure out what the concept even is. Dhampir and Hexblood it just eventually becomes clear are basically Vampire Spawn and some kind of Hag child as the baseline, with a little wiggle room left for there being non-standard ways you might have ended up that way or slight variations in how your specific case works. Reborn just feels like it's so vague about what it is that it lacks even that much baseline to grab onto to understand it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I don't even understand Reborn. Much like the Reborn Rogue subclass, they just seem like an odd mish-mash of strange concepts to me - the most coherent one being the elements clearly based on Frankenstein, while others like "you were resurrected with magic, but something went wrong" don't even make sense to me on a base level. What went wrong? How? Why? Why would this weird combination of maybe-undead-maybe-not traits and amnesia be the result? Why is this whole lineage being so vague about what it is and why it exists?* It's all just odd to me.

    I just really don't get Reborn.

    *Reborn just feels like it's so vague about what it is that it lacks even that much baseline to grab onto to understand it.
    The Monster (Frankenstein)
    Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
    Duane Adelier (Unsounded)
    The Returned, e.g. Lightsong (Warbreaker)
    V/Johnny Silverhand (Cyberpunk 2077)

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    The Monster (Frankenstein)
    All we now need is minion rules to allow for a mob to follow it around with pitchforks and torches. (I alluded to that up thread, but being an old AD&D 1e and Original player, minions and henchmen are kinda hard wired into my feel for the game ...
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    The Monster (Frankenstein)
    Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
    Duane Adelier (Unsounded)
    The Returned, e.g. Lightsong (Warbreaker)
    V/Johnny Silverhand (Cyberpunk 2077)
    Then perhaps part of the issue is that the only one of those I'm at all familiar with is Frankenstein. I've heard of Fullmetal Alchemist and Cyberpunk as series, but have never had any interest in them and know very little about them, including not having heard those characters' names before. And I haven't even heard of the other two.

    Do any of those possess enough similarities to Frankenstein's monster to warrant mashing the concepts together like this? Because it really feels like they're trying to mash together some rather disparate things that may not belong together, at least to my perspective.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Then perhaps part of the issue is that the only one of those I'm at all familiar with is Frankenstein. I've heard of Fullmetal Alchemist and Cyberpunk as series, but have never had any interest in them and know very little about them, including not having heard those characters' names before. And I haven't even heard of the other two.

    Do any of those possess enough similarities to Frankenstein's monster to warrant mashing the concepts together like this? Because it really feels like they're trying to mash together some rather disparate things that may not belong together, at least to my perspective.
    I listed those five mostly because they're the ones I'm most familiar with, and that they're from a wide variety of media types.

    We all know about Frankenstein's Monster.

    Alphonse Elric, one of the two main characters of Fullmetal Alchemist, died in an alchemy accident and was—miraculously—brought back to "life" when his brother (the other protagonist) sacrificed another of his own limbs to shove Al's soul into a nearby suit of armor. Essentially, Alphonse became an animated suit of armor.

    Duane Adelier, one of the two main characters of Unsounded (webcomic), was assassinated and then brought back to "life" by turning him into a novel type of zombie, maintaining his mind, magic powers, and free will but trapped in his own rotting corpse. He's practically a lich.

    The Returned are explored in Warbreaker (modern novel). They are people who have died but thereafter spontaneously returned to life with divinely perfect ageless bodies that lack pesky mortal constraints like the need to eat or drink, although they do have to periodically consume energy in the form of "breaths", which is basically a magical currency that everyone is born with exactly one of.

    V and Johnny Silverhand both die, but V is brought back to life with the extra baggage of Johnny Silverhand's pseudo-AI copy (he's also long-dead) floating around in his head. Both of their memories and mannerisms start to blend together, causing a great deal of drama.

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Thus a paladin could have a smite bite.
    Long Death Monk could make good use of their bite!

    Simple Weapons are monk weapons!
    My Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!


    Current Characters:
    Arkhios "Wolfhammer", V.Human Paladin (Ancients) 5 (Dawnfall: The Greendale Campaign)
    Anarriel, Valenar Fighter (Cavalier/TBD) 4 (Eberron: Embers of the Last War)

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Since it's very likely these were created with Ravenloft specifically in mind, the Reborn covers archetypes that could be common in Lamordia or Nova Vaasa (sentient flesh golems) or Barovia, Darkon, or Har'Akir (necromancy), and likely many other domains that I've forgotten about. It's also useful for applying post-mortem to a player after befalling a terrible fate (what I'm presently considering it for).

    If I have a core issue, it's the same one I have with the Hexblood- it's covering too much. It seems like Reborn should work like subraces traditionally have, with two variants based on whether you're a mad science experiment or a zombie. That way you're not left with overly generic abilities that try to cover concepts that could have a lot of room for more interesting things.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    I just want to point out that vampires can’t procreate through traditional conception methods. Canonically, they must have permission to come inside.


    I’m so ashamed of myself...

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    North

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by msfnc View Post
    I just want to point out that vampires can’t procreate through traditional conception methods. Canonically, they must have permission to come inside.


    I’m so ashamed of myself...
    that's absolutely terrible you should be proud of that one.

    But with how people are reacting to the new resident evil trailer, I think some people might create characters with their lineage along a different route.
    Keep the forums alive, for $2 a month. In the arms of an angel....

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2020

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    You're the one who called us imagination gatekeepers.
    In some ways this describes the Muses.😃

    Actually, this quote is inspiring me to make a Vampire like "Gatekeeper of Imagination". Instead of a Charm power,(or addition to), the creature has an aura similar to the Slow spell, which reflects it's being the gatekeeper to the plane of imagination.

    Sounds perfect for my reimagining/conversion of Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

    Thanks Unoriginal! My players should hate it🖖
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2021-01-27 at 01:05 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Greywander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to throw my thoughts out there, specifically regarding how the dual-typing is handled: I don't like it.

    I've worked on an undead race/template, including dual-typed humanoid/undead. Cure Wounds (and such) specifically state that it does not work on undead. Because a humanoid/undead is undead, Cure Wounds should not work on them. Basically, they way they're handling it is that all effects have a set of creature types that they effect. Because Cure Wounds affects humanoids, they're saying a humanoid/undead can benefit from Cure Wounds. That's not how I see it. Every ability either (a) only affects specific creature types (e.g. Turn Undead only affecting undead), or (b) affects everyone except certain creature types (e.g. Cure Wounds not affecting undead and constructs). Charm Person is type (a), and thus affects a humanoid/undead because they are a humanoid. Cure Wounds is type (b), and thus does not affect a humanoid/undead, because they have one of the banned creature types.

    Also, I made a generic undead template. You can apply it on top of an existing race. By my estimates, it's mostly power neutral: you get some benefits like immunity to poison, darkvision, and not needing to eat or sleep, but being undead just by itself is actually a huge downside. You're susceptible to Turn Undead, Protection from Evil and Good, Detect Evil and Good, smites do more damage to you, and most (but not all) healing and resurrection spells don't work on you. If you want to play an undead without losing out on a race and without becoming stronger than your party members, this is probably the best way to do it.

    In my mind, part of the reason to play an undead is to embrace all the challenges that come with it; having to hide your true nature, suffering affects that don't harm the living, and having to work around the lack of healing.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    So what happens if a Cleric takes one of these lineages with the undead tag? What direction will Turn Undead make you run?
    You explode, as your particles try to get as far away from each other as possible. Roll a new character.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    To me it seems more bizarre than interesting. What rationale, what physical mechanism, is supposed to be in play here? It's about as comprehensible as Cha-based movement rates or Str-based AC.
    More constitution allows you to suck harder and longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    Snip
    As someone who decided to skip CP2077 until the bugs are fixed, thanks for the spoiler.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2021-01-27 at 01:28 AM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals get loose.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    North

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    if it's any consolation, that cyberpunk spoiler is in the game trailers, some real opening setup stuff.
    Keep the forums alive, for $2 a month. In the arms of an angel....

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    To me it seems more bizarre than interesting. What rationale, what physical mechanism, is supposed to be in play here? It's about as comprehensible as Cha-based movement rates or Str-based AC.
    Con attacks works reasonably well to represent "blood magic", though they make much more sense when it is abilities that cost you HP, not grand you additional HP, so I don't think that's what they went with here.

    Having "primal instincts" be based on Con instead of Wis (which I think is the default in RAW) is something I've done in a lot of homebrews, and I think that's what they're going with. You even get advantage when at low HP, probably to represent the fact that your survival instincts take precedence over your normal behaviour.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    The execution and specific concept don't have any draw for me, but this is pretty much exactly what I wanted in terms of design philosophy looking at the changes in Tashas and what they could mean going forwards, so that's cool.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>


  22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2020

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    College of Whispers Bard can be interesting to play with Psychic Blades and Dhampir Bite.
    Especially if you choose the Psychic Vampire origin with Psychic energy Dhampir Hungers.
    From the Bard spell list, you can have, use, a lot of Vampire characteristic :)
    Last edited by Hannibal78; 2021-01-27 at 07:08 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2019

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    But looking through them, Vampires, Witches, and Zombies but no Werewolf? Disappointing.
    The Shifter from Eberron is already perfect for a "semi-lycanthrope" character.

    Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    Excellent, now I can use this UA and the Shifter race from eberron to make my sonic OC. His name is Noctis, he's the edgier twin of shadow
    Remember to pick up Misty Step, so he can teleport behind people before attacking.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Huh. Well, I don't mind this lineages idea itself, but I don't think any of these are for me, personally.
    Kind of where I am as well. It is annoying -- it looks like they are making the 'crib-swapped by fey' concept be a vestigial add-on to Hexblood, which is too bad (as I think that's honestly at least as interesting a concept as being hag-adjacent, and deserving of its own write-up.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    I listed those five mostly because they're the ones I'm most familiar with, and that they're from a wide variety of media types.

    We all know about Frankenstein's Monster.

    Alphonse Elric, {snip}

    Duane Adelier, {snip}.

    The Returned are explored in Warbreaker (modern novel). {snip}

    V and Johnny Silverhand both die, but V {snip}
    And Doc Bruce Banner should have been killed when that experiment went wrong, but he didin't, so we get The Hulk.

    Only Frank seems a very close fit, genre wise, to the D&D schtick, though it's a little bit of a reach. Flesh Golems fit into Frank; there's a manual for that.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-01-27 at 08:31 AM.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to throw my thoughts out there, specifically regarding how the dual-typing is handled: I don't like it.

    I've worked on an undead race/template, including dual-typed humanoid/undead. Cure Wounds (and such) specifically state that it does not work on undead. Because a humanoid/undead is undead, Cure Wounds should not work on them. Basically, they way they're handling it is that all effects have a set of creature types that they effect. Because Cure Wounds affects humanoids, they're saying a humanoid/undead can benefit from Cure Wounds. That's not how I see it. Every ability either (a) only affects specific creature types (e.g. Turn Undead only affecting undead), or (b) affects everyone except certain creature types (e.g. Cure Wounds not affecting undead and constructs). Charm Person is type (a), and thus affects a humanoid/undead because they are a humanoid. Cure Wounds is type (b), and thus does not affect a humanoid/undead, because they have one of the banned creature types.

    Also, I made a generic undead template. You can apply it on top of an existing race. By my estimates, it's mostly power neutral: you get some benefits like immunity to poison, darkvision, and not needing to eat or sleep, but being undead just by itself is actually a huge downside. You're susceptible to Turn Undead, Protection from Evil and Good, Detect Evil and Good, smites do more damage to you, and most (but not all) healing and resurrection spells don't work on you. If you want to play an undead without losing out on a race and without becoming stronger than your party members, this is probably the best way to do it.

    In my mind, part of the reason to play an undead is to embrace all the challenges that come with it; having to hide your true nature, suffering affects that don't harm the living, and having to work around the lack of healing.
    Agreed for dual-typing being possible to do well and being better to do exactly how they didn't do it (I've had it in a game for a few years, alongside subtypes for which you're more resistant to things that only affect your subtype and to which you're not explicitly immune/unaffected). We've also had an undead character and playing around what happened to the actual character was part of the fun and forced us to think of different tactics. Removing it being relevant to the character just makes it pointless fluff (with even the narrative potential being hamstrung because it's clearly not doing anything).

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2020

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    So, for the Dhampyr specifically, I think this UA version of the dual creature type actually works. I guess I'm envisioning them as a Blade type half-blood vampire. The point isn't that you're full on undead, you're both undead and humanoid AT THE SAME TIME. This gives you certain benefits of both types, in this case always on spider climb and being able to be affected by healing spells, and certain drawbacks, such being affected by Protection From Evil and Good and Hold/Charm Person.

    Depending on the type of Dhampyr character, I feel like this instance of dual typing works narratively almost across the board. I have a bit more issue with it on the Reborn side of things. One of the examples they give is of a formerly controlled undead minion gaining sentience/free will. Biologically, wouldn't they still be undead with that origin? By giving that as an example it sends mixed signals.

    There are certain characters who this DOES work for: Botched resurrections, flesh golem (Frankenstein's monster) types, cyborgs, revenents, The Nameless One. But a common zombie suddenly becoming both undead and humanoid just because they gain sentience doesn't sit right with me. There are PLENTY of sentient undead that aren't "humanoid" already, as well as other monsters.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Ya I kind of feel like the time to address dual creature types /non humanoids was when they made warforged. Should those not be constructs, or at least dual as well? Ehhh.....

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarytincan View Post
    Ya I kind of feel like the time to address dual creature types /non humanoids was when they made warforged. Should those not be constructs, or at least dual as well? Ehhh.....
    They are gonna violate the KISS principle all over the place if they deviate from "each creature has a type" model that is in both the MM and the PHB(humanoid). The Satyr as Fey is already problematic for a least one reason ... and they didn't have to do that. Aasimar are humanoid, why did they decide to make satyr's fey in Theors?
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 1/26/21 - Gothic Lineages

    I'm strongly considering turning my Gnome battlesmith into a Construct Returned. He's already "merged" with his defender, the two of them acting like a single creature for most purposes, this would take it to the next level, replacing his body with a clockwork replica, maybe his brain floating in a briny tank. Mechanically, he would lose the excellent gnomish save advantage, but he would gain the ability to be healed by the defender as an action.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •