New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Drow Hellreaver

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Drow Hellreaver

Alright I got inspired by another Thread and decided to make a Hellreaver. I decided on Drow for the Race, but I'm conflicted on Base Class. So what do you guys think, Crusader, Knight, or Paladin? Going to be Male and worship Eilistraee. Nothing else decided yet. Stats not rolled yet but going to be: 4d6 drop lowest reroll ones. May pick up a +1 LA template. Any suggestions for those?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Drow Hellreaver

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    Alright I got inspired by another Thread and decided to make a Hellreaver. I decided on Drow for the Race, but I'm conflicted on Base Class. So what do you guys think, Crusader, Knight, or Paladin? Going to be Male and worship Eilistraee. Nothing else decided yet. Stats not rolled yet but going to be: 4d6 drop lowest reroll ones. May pick up a +1 LA template. Any suggestions for those?
    I'm not super familiar with Hellreaver, but Crusader is the strongest of the three generically. Knight gets some interesting abilities, but a lot of them depend on your Knight level, so dipping can be sketchy. Paladin is fine -- just not the strongest base class generically.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    I'm not super familiar with Hellreaver, but Crusader is the strongest of the three generically. Knight gets some interesting abilities, but a lot of them depend on your Knight level, so dipping can be sketchy. Paladin is fine -- just not the strongest base class generically.
    Hellreaver is from Fiendish Codex II. Super Angry at fiends and gets a pool of points to spend on swift action class features that revolve around fighting them. Class Features grant stuff like Bonus to Saving Throws, Bonus to AC, Bonus Damage Dice, Healing, and Exploding Evil Outsiders as a capstone.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever you decide on, be sure to dip one level of Binder and always bind Naberius. This gives you fast healing for ability damage, so when you hit Hellreaver 5 you can use heroic sacrifice to refresh your points as often as you want and be able to spam your Hellreaver abilities every round. If your Con score is an odd number, you won't have any math when you do that since you'll heal one point of the 2 damage the same round and have the same modifier.

Crusader is absolutely best for this. Between combining big strike maneuvers with furious strike, using divine succor on top of healing maneuvers to fix yourself and your teammates, being decently powerful despite not being a spellcaster, and thematic similarities, it's definitely the way to go. You could even go Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9 and have 9th level maneuvers at 20th if you play that long.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Whatever you decide on, be sure to dip one level of Binder and always bind Naberius. This gives you fast healing for ability damage, so when you hit Hellreaver 5 you can use heroic sacrifice to refresh your points as often as you want and be able to spam your Hellreaver abilities every round. If your Con score is an odd number, you won't have any math when you do that since you'll heal one point of the 2 damage the same round and have the same modifier.

Crusader is absolutely best for this. Between combining big strike maneuvers with furious strike, using divine succor on top of healing maneuvers to fix yourself and your teammates, being decently powerful despite not being a spellcaster, and thematic similarities, it's definitely the way to go. You could even go Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9 and have 9th level maneuvers at 20th if you play that long.
    DM plays with XP penalties, so no to Binder. Also planning on at least Hellreaver 8 to get that 30 point swift action heal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DM plays with XP penalties, so no to Binder. Also planning on at least Hellreaver 8 to get that 30 point swift action heal.
    That's a bummer, considering over two-thirds of the base classes in the game aren't the favored class of any race. Maybe go Crusader 3/ Binder 3/ Hellreaver then to make that work?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

If you can get it in the build, try to get 2nd level casting (perhaps paladin/crusader/rkv dip?) with restoration spells, in order to take mitigate suffering (the reserve feat), works quite well with hellreaver. Even though it pushes your entry point quite far up the scale, so maybe It'd be better to go cleric or something.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Humans have favored class: any, so they'd work
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Humans have favored class: any, so they'd work
    Race is Drow.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless you are doing something like a lesser Drow, isn't Drow itself a LA+2 right off the bat?

sidenote: Am I reading Hellreaver in that you can treat it like Factotum. Infinite encounters for infinite holy fury points for infinite healing to an extent?
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2021-01-26 at 03:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Unless you are doing something like a lesser Drow, isn't Drow itself a LA+2 right off the bat?

sidenote: Am I reading Hellreaver in that you can treat it like Factotum. Infinite encounters for infinite holy fury points for infinite healing to an extent?
    Yes on the LA, I was meaning I don't want more than +3 LA so I have 1 LA left after Drow's LA.

Not sure on the Factotum. It's swift action healing and you only get one of those a round.

Anyways I decided on Paladin of Freedom for the Base as that loses the least from 8+ levels in Hellreaver. But Hellreaver doesn't bypass the Paladin's multiclassing restriction, so I was wondering for the remaining 5-7 levels Holy Liberator or Pious Templar?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

OK, so you need BAB5, so you aren't taking this before level 6 anyway without lycanthropy shenanigans. The Binder level makes it level 7.

You could just keep all your base classes to 1-2 level dips, so something like...

Binder 1
    Hit-and-Run Fighter 2
    Crusader 2
    Paladin of Freedom 2

and then into Hellreaver.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-01-26 at 04:06 PM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I built a character for one of the Iron Chef challenges that used Hellreaver. Their entry was Duskblade 3 / Soulborn 2 and they used Strongheart Vest from Magic of the Incarnum to deal with the ability damage, instead of binding any entities. The character was even quite focused on healing and preventing/restoring ability damage. Hmm, which one was it again...

On right: Iron Chef (Angelique A'lanale) ... Good times. I believe her level 20 character sheet is still accessible if you want to see some stats.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2021-01-26 at 04:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OK, so you need BAB5, so you aren't taking this before level 6 anyway without lycanthropy shenanigans. The Binder level makes it level 7.

You could just keep all your base classes to 1-2 level dips, so something like...

Binder 1
    Hit-and-Run Fighter 2
    Crusader 2
    Paladin of Freedom 2

and then into Hellreaver.
    Binder does not fit for the character.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

After more thinking I decided to switch to Crusader for my Base Class. Going Crusader 12/Hellreaver 8.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration in MIC to fix the Con damage from heroic sacrifice. You should be able to have a pile of them by the time you get that class feature, considering how cheap they are.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Race is Drow.
    I would suggest Deepwyrm Half-Drow if you don't insist to be full Drow. (no LA, free multiclassing and is dragonblooded)

- dip 1-2 lvl Paladin (for Detect Evil & Divine Grace)
    rest either Crusader, Warblade or even Fighter.

- can pick Draconic Aura: Vigor at 3rd lvl (fast healing aura for up to half of max hp. scales with character lvl).

- dip Barb for Pounce ACF?

e.g.
    Paladin 2 / Barb 1 / Fighter 2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going with the Crusader 12 / Hellreaver 8 which feats would you be taking aside from power attack?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthawar View Post
    Going with the Crusader 12 / Hellreaver 8 which feats would you be taking aside from power attack?
    Got Education, Daylight Adaptation, and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) at 1st due to flaws. Picking up Power Attack at 3rd, Adaptive Style at 6th, Frightful Presence at 9th, Extra Granted Maneuver at 12th, Sudden Recovery at 15th, and Martial Study at 18th.

Yes, I know spending a feat on EWP is not optimal, I don't care. I like Sword and Board.