New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Quick Rule Clarification - "Damage Die"

So if my rogue took the Piercer feat (When you score a critical hit that deals piercing damage to a creature, you can roll one additional damage die when determining the extra piercing damage the target takes), and landed a critical hit with a weapon that dealt 2d4 base damage and 3d6 sneak attack, would I roll an extra d4, 2d4, or 2d4+3d6? I just want to know that I am understanding these new feats correctly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Quick Rule Clarification - "Damage Die"

I'd see what your DM thinks but i'd say that it'd just be the one d4 as the extra damage dice. One of the disadvantages of having a weapon that does 2d4 rather than 1d8.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green.Grizzly View Post
    I'd see what your DM thinks but i'd say that it'd just be the one d4 as the extra damage dice. One of the disadvantages of having a weapon that does 2d4 rather than 1d8.
    That's how Crawford has answered it! (I think consistently, which is noteworthy...)

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/09/13...pplied-before/

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    So if my rogue took the Piercer feat (When you score a critical hit that deals piercing damage to a creature, you can roll one additional damage die when determining the extra piercing damage the target takes), and landed a critical hit with a weapon that dealt 2d4 base damage and 3d6 sneak attack, would I roll an extra d4, 2d4, or 2d4+3d6? I just want to know that I am understanding these new feats correctly.
    This is perhaps a stupid question, but what sort of weapon deals 2d4 damage?

Regardless, within the context of the feat, the normal non-critical benefit is the ability to re-roll "one of the attack’s damage dice", which indicates that when you roll more than one dice, each of those is "one damage dice", which in turn means "roll one additional damage die" means rolling one of those.

However... Surely the Sneak Attack damage too is part of the "attack's damage dice"? The feat makes no mention of the "weapon's damage dice".

-DF

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFighter View Post
    This is perhaps a stupid question, but what sort of weapon deals 2d4 damage?

Regardless, within the context of the feat, the normal non-critical benefit is the ability to re-roll "one of the attack’s damage dice", which indicates that when you roll more than one dice, each of those is "one damage dice", which in turn means "roll one additional damage die" means rolling one of those.

However... Surely the Sneak Attack damage too is part of the "attack's damage dice"? The feat makes no mention of the "weapon's damage dice".

-DF
    The double-bladed scimitar from the Eberron book is the only one off the top of my head but that does slashing rather then piercing damage so presumably something homebrew unless I'm forgetting something.

Good catch that it doesn't specify weapon die. I think as a DM I might still be inclined to rule that it has to be one of the original weapon die instead of any additional modifiers you're adding though to be fair.

7. - Top - End - #7

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Piercer' crit proc doesn't specify "weapon damage die" or anything of the sort. So, at worst, you could deal an extra d6. The d6s from Sneak Attack are definitely damage dice, so you can definitely roll an additional of those.