New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Abeir and magic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Abeir and magic

In researching up on timelines, I came across discussions with Halruaa during the time between the Spellplague and the Second Sundering. They moved to Abeir, where magic was dramatically different. Basically, they were at least partially cut off from the other planes (warlocks with patrons), the weave (wizards), and deities (clerics).

I was trying to figure out the impact on spellcasting for classes.

A lot seems to be taken from the 5e novels the Wailing Years and the Devil You Know
    http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21873

Warlocks and Wizards seem to have no luck. Same with Clerics.

I am not sure if clerics or druids without specific dieties would be ok?

I would think that wu jen might be ok? Same with archivists? Probably chameleons too? It looks like psionics are clearly ok, since that source is internal. I am not sure how to handle sorcerers,

In summary, it seems like those dependent on the weave (just wizards) and those dependent on planar beings (gods/patrons - so clerics, maybe druids, and warlocks) are out of luck but the rest are good ... is that reasonable?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Abeir and magic

I would include sorcerers and generally every arcane spellcaster with the exception of Spellthief (as they will be able to adapt stealing the spells ), and wu jen that from the description seems like druid. As for the druids and clerics it depends if they had a deity , and if yes probably they would have lost power. While who had a concept as a deity would not have many problem. The psionic well everyone except the divine mind would not have problems , but as the divine mind is dependent on the deities he should lost the auras of his mantle . The shadowcaster (if not related at the shadow weave) would not have problem and neither the truenamer , while I'm not so sure for the binder as he contact beings of other "planes"
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Abeir and magic

Not familiar with the specific set-up, but sounds like it might function similarly to the Demiplane of Dread in Ravenloft?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Abeir and magic

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Not familiar with the specific set-up, but sounds like it might function similarly to the Demiplane of Dread in Ravenloft?
    It's an interesting setup:
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abeir

A good portion of Halruaa, to avoid the Spellplague, moved into Abeir.
    Abeir was the twin planet of Toril,] located in the same material plane of its sibling world, but within a "pocket dimension" that was out of synchronicity with Toril. Abeir revolved around the same sun of Realmspace, although from Abeir the sun was seen as blue colored. Abeir shared the lunar satellite Selūne and its Tears with Toril.

Magic manifested differently on Abeir than in Toril, as there was no Weave and no normal way to contact any gods, as gods were wary about this world. Likewise, Planar magic (or at least planar magic that depended on the Nine Hells), such as that granted to warlocks by a pact, also worked differently and was more difficult to use than on Toril.

The only magic that worked normally on Abeir was that a creature could create on its own, such as the inherent elemental magic a primordial had in its body or a dragon's breath. Magic items also worked normally on Abeir, and Abeiran dragons usually scavenged primordial corpses in order to create powerful artifacts from their remains, such as the Breath of Petron.

Psionics were also a type of magic that could be used on this world, however this kind of magic seemed to be as uncommon on Abeir as it was on Toril.

Creating artificial portals to Abeir was nearly impossible, but a few natural portals connected Abeir and Toril.

On another note - I wonder if Epic magic would work? I kind of interpreted it as being related to raw magic, and doesn't seem to use the weave, so that might have helped in Abeir. Something like a mythallar could have been useful in a place where regular magic didn't work (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mythallar). This seems particularly reasonable since the Halruaans were escaped Netherese originally
    Last edited by schreier; 2021-01-26 at 09:15 PM.