New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Legion of Doom IC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Everyone begins with a -4 penalty on all d20 rolls and -2 to AC thanks to your rude awakening that will fade over the first few days

Awareness returns harshly. Blinding light, deafening silence, and groggy dissonance, prove themselves the pervading sensations of the first moments.

Things fade back into being like the aftermath of a detonation. The room wasn’t really that bright but the marble walls were polished until they gleamed. You have found yourselves in a long corridor, or what was one once. Indeed it would seem a bomb has gone off what with one direction cut off by the collapsed passage. Great rents tearing open the ceiling and rubble is strewn about.

You were each seemingly dropped outside one of the ‘rooms’ that line the corridor. Each is small, only enough that you can fit but otherwise sized for you and ringed with golden bands with a faintly blue mist hanging low within.

“...Nooo…”

A grown alerts you to someone nearby. A white and gold robed individual in thick robes has woken half-stuck below some rubble. But they are not looking at you but the other direction. From there struts a dishevelled looking skeletal undead. It is humanoid and robed from the waist down and armoured in more bone. It reaches the trapped individual, only lightly supported on it’s wooden staff, an gestures at them.

And with that, only having regained awareness themselves now bear witness to the person under the rubble scream, grab their face, and begin tearing at it until their own bones crawl free from their flesh. The spellcaster however keeps walking until reaching the first of you and your present company, takes a moment to look at each of you in turn before the skull’s rictus grin seems to grow ever wider.

“At last…” it says telepathically on a voice like grinding granite ”…The guests of honour. I presume you will all have questions? We have a moment but just be sure to follow my directions and you will find yourselves well accommodated. But to begin, wit has been a longs time and much has changed”.
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2021-01-27 at 05:09 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Legion of Doom IC

Caligula appears kneeling on the ground, his limbs shaking unsteadily as he gains his bearings. He slowly rises, the old bones in his body creaking harshly, almost in protest, as he stand straight up, his arms loose by his sides. How many years has it been since his imprisonment in the wretched darkness. How many centuries since he could move his body even an inch. His hands gently glide over his skin, almost seeming to search for the Immovable Spears that once held him in place. His body, despite the hard years, remains immaculate as always, not even showing a hint of injury or decay. The only sign of his great age is the disheveled gray hair that cascades from his scalp and face.

Caligula cracks his neck, readjusting to himself as he casually listens to the bloodcurdling scream behind him, then fully opens his bright blue eyes to focus in on those around him, particularly the disgusting skeletal figure. He prepares to speak, but finds his throat far too dry to accommodate. It has been quite awhile since water has passed through his body, not that he needs it.

“At last…” A voice speaks in Caligula's head, the cold rasp grating his mind. Telepathy? He's heard of the phenomenon but never experienced it himself. ”…The guests of honour. I presume you will all have questions? We have a moment but just be sure to follow my directions and you will find yourselves well accommodated. But to begin, it has been a long time and much has changed”. A pathetic undead? Expecting to be obeyed? Ha! If this was still his reign, he would simply crush its impudent skull. But this isn't his reign, and Caligula has had much time to think on his mistakes. This creature was clearly expecting them, meaning either it or whoever it serves is powerful enough to break him and presumably these other beings out of the darkness. It would be foolish to fight against someone like that in his current state. So he'll play along...... for now.
    Last edited by Armonia13; 2021-01-28 at 06:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Paronomasia blinks, rubbing his head as he looks around the room he appeared in. Feigning being not much more than a weak pitiful kobold, he silently goes to follow the skeleton, glancing around at the others, and attempted to stay away from the rest of the 'honored guests'. Despite his own ego, he knew he was generally out matched by most of the other people out there. He was an evil genius, not a bruiser or power house. He touches himself to implant mask Misery trick to start off with now that they're finally breaking out.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

What appears to be a large, ruddy red stalagmite jutting from the ground slowly begins to expand outward. As it does so, its surface expands to reveal itself as a pair of large draconic wings, beneath which a figure seemingly carved from stone, interwoven with draconic scales, bearing a harsh, but commanding countenance emerges. He seems to be stretching, shaking loose bits of gravel as he does so.

As he speaks, his voice is deep and gravely, but has a brassy quality to it. "Ah, an opportunity to leave this accursed place. I thank you. I take it by your words that you are our benefactor? I suspect our freedom will not come free. No matter, I am used to making deals, perhaps we can be of use to one another even beyond this mere emancipation. It took power to do this, power that can be of great use to me . . . and of course, if I can regain some of my own, I would be happy to grant you a few wishes if and when I am able." As he finishes, he begins weaving magic to empower his form.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Gazze works to cast a few spells on himself, donning Mage Armor and casting Eagle's Splendor (at double duration from his trait) and Cat's Grace (Naturally Extended from Nanite Bloodline)

Gazze glances down at Paranosmia as he cowers from the others. "Fear not, little one. I doubt our friend here would bother springing all of us if he did not have plans for us to work together. I too am dragon-kin, and while you may be small, I suspect you have certain talents that earned you your stay at such a prestigious prison as this. When I get my bearing, I will certainly have a place for you if we make it that far. You don't strike me as very trustworthy, but that may be just the thing I need, seeing as I trusted my former compatriots a bit too much." He extends a wing outward towards the kobold in a welcoming gesture.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umbra was not sure whether to be pleased or not at his apparent escape. He had been a real problem for the Enemy to torment. He loved the touch of pain beyond all things, and his mental powers were hard to disrupt. So he had ended up tormenting his tormentors as much as the other way around. And, of course, only he enjoyed the experience. His tormentors had been experienced at the delivery of pain, but nowhere near as much as he was. He, who had spent a thousand years learning the delicate art of inflaming every nerve fiber. They had ended up mostly leaving him alone in his captivity, believing that boredom was the only pain he could not bear. Accurately, it turned out. He had been tortured by the passage of time in his infinite existence, and generations of the Enemy had been and gone, leaving this monster of the shadow realm to his lifetimes of boredom.

It had nearly been enough to break his mind. But they could not stop him from hurting himself, and his little pains kept him barely sane, such as he was. Digging razor edged claws into his own flesh, or biting his own tongue, were torments they could not prevent, as hard as they tried. So he was always just the tiniest bit satisfied.

But now he was free. He studied both his benefactor as well as his fellow captives. None of them bore the markers of his own kind, so he judged that they were not kytons. Perhaps future victims, he mused? But that was something he could try to tempt them into later. If they were here, then they must have been considered a major threat to the Enemy. Thus, they were likely as powerful as he himself was. And their mutual benefactor could be considered to be even more so. So he could not simply horrify them into giving up and leaving him in peace to recover his Cube. Perhaps they may be of use. He had learned of the value of companions when he fought the priestess Christine. She had allies, and they had proved the difference in his original defeat and subsequent imprisonment. So now maybe he should form his own team of allies and companions. They may not understand pain as he did, but no one was perfect. Even he continued to aim for perfection in his bodily modifications. So they may prove useful.

"I am Umbra. I assume you know that already," he says to the undead figure. "But for the benefit of the rest of you, I greet you. I have not spoken in over a hundred years. You prove to be handy people to have broken my silence with."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh just wonderful, a dragon. And as usual they want the kobold to serve them. Parnomasia thought to himself, still... calculating, and collective. Paromasia thought over his options. It was bad enough he was likely going to have to do something for the skeleton, whom he hoped didn't have world taking over, or world destruction plans. Especially world destruction plans. It would be hard to be the ruler of the world if it was destroyed. And besides, it wasn't like this was a full dragon. At the moment it behooved him to be at least polite

"Paronomasia, though please do not mistake me for some common dragon licking kobold." he said a tad pointedly, and with a hint of arrogance. "I do not like dragons, however you do not seem to be one completely, and I recognize we're likely to need to work together. Together. Not for."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Gazze smiles with amusement, letting out a laugh at the kobold's response. "You misunderstand me. I have no need for dogs, the last ones I had bit me as I fed them. What I would propose instead would be mutually beneficial opportunities. And this one . . ." He trails off, looking at the kyton, "I know for sure I can make use of his . . . appetites. I just want you guys to do you, I merely want to present you with situations for your talents to shine."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

Caligula laughs at the shaitan's pretty words, a grating hack of a sound from centuries of disuse. Pathetic..... The former emporer coughs and wheezes, rubbing his throat. This irritating dryness is becoming quite annoying. He looks around, hoping to spy a fountain he may sate his thirst on.

The only only source of liquid he can see is the slowly spilling blood of the robed man. Groaning in frustration, Caligula takes several short strides to reach the faceless body. Cupping his hands into the pool of red, he slowly begins drinking the blood. It's disgusting metallic taste repulses his refined palate, but the warm ichor soothes and refreshes his throat just enough. Caligula spits out the excess taste, wiping his bloodstained hands on the torn robes of the corpse, then stands once again, turning back to the others.

"Keep still your silver tongue Djinn, it is doubtful any here would fall for your honeyed words. Be frank, or even one as strong as you shall die by the hands of Caligula, perfection itself."
    Last edited by Armonia13; 2021-01-28 at 04:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The kobold shrugged a little. He wasn't going to push it himself with the half dragon, though he felt a bristle going up his spine as Caligula spoke, and darted away from the Aasimar, to put the half dragon between him and it. He wasn't about to get near that ball of mess with a tenfoot pole. Dragons as much as the kobold hated them, where at least predictable in their arrogance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umbra listened as the others introduced themselves and then immediately started to bicker. It was something he had not anticipated. He knew that allies could be useful, but he had never thought of the possibility that they would simply start to fight among themselves. He thought back to Christine, and how she had allies that seemed to work together well, or at least, well enough to defeat him. He wondered if there was inherently something more collegial about the forces of good, and whether those of the night should not try to replicate such alliances. He sighed, and decided to simply allow them to work it out for themselves. After all, they were not allied to each other at this stage, and perhaps they would simply go their own ways. But perhaps the undead had brought them together to form them into a single team. In which case there was no point in joining the argument. He had no dispute with any of them, and it would merely extend the argument. So, he just listened in, trying to learn more of each of them from what they were, and were not, saying.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Slowly, and at first almost imperceptibly, a sibilant whisper could be heard. It repeated itself like a chant as it grew louder and finally resolved itself as a declaration:

"I am Sathonys."

The voice was that of grand authority, robbed of its resonance, thinned and feebled by the form of its speaker. It too resolved itself from thin air until the violet-white wraith of a grand king flared into full and grisly view. He wore the silks and staff and crown of his rule, but the figure beneath the finery was as skeletal as the lich.

"I have returned." He laughed to see the state of the robed wretch in the rubble. "And among friends, I see."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2021-01-29 at 11:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

The bones that saw you free have remained utterly still as you all speak, until continuing onwards himself.

"All acquainted now, are we? Good . Good. But no reason to go tearing each other apart just yet. It is within your interests to cooperate but tha-"

The building rumbles around you. Another detonation like the one that preceded your new freedom?

"-t can wait until you all get back up top. But I can say that mister Fire Opal has the short of it. Now if there are no issues?".

With that he gestures with his staff to fire a black beam against the wall between two of the 'cells', erasing that section of stone utterly. Another passageway can be seen on the other side but not another cell block, this one wider and branching into a conventional wooden door embedded with an embossed plaque showing the symbol of a wheel of rings and swords.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Hmm, this should be amusing. For the time being, I believe I'll get into costume before we face any guards."

Show
    Gazze uses his Veil SLA (usable at will, but only on himself) to take the appearance of one of the guards. Disguise check is (1d20+21)[29]. He will pretend to be a hostage if they encounter any other guards.

**You said -2 to checks, correct? Eagle's Splendor should negate that effectively then.

As he speaks, Gazze's appearance begins to change, shrinking in size to that of one of the guards that was crushed. He holds his hands out, as if imitating a hostage.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2021-01-29 at 09:21 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umbra agreed with the skeletal figure's assessment of the situation. When he disintegrated the section of wall, Umbra ignored the others, and headed straight for it. After being imprisoned for so long, he was desperate for any sort of mental stimulation. He knew that he was not the hardiest of beings, but he could surely survive encountering prison guards. He would allow the others to follow along behind at their leisure. Then, once they were free, he would be fine with arranging some sort of marching order, to allow the hardiest of them to take the lead, and allow the casters such as himself to follow in safety. Besides, he wasn't entirely helpless, and his fear powers should be able to clear the area of enemies. Paladins could pose a problem, but he had his own ways of affecting even those. And their fear was the most delicious of all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Paranomasia, blinked watching the illusion go up. Using another trick on himself, he applied fearsome guise to take on the form of a small child. Though others may not realize it at the moment, his illusion was strong enough to even fool some of the strongest detection magics. Though he was certain the door didn't actually lead to the guards but somewhere else, the geometry becoming non euclidean perhaps.

16. - Top - End - #16

SwashbucklerGuy

Caligula nods at the skeleton. As much as he would hate to work with the cowardly undead, it would be foolish not to at this time. The once great Conqueror strides towards the passageway, his beard and hair slightly dragging on the ground. He glances at the kobold and shaitain, watching them waste magic to disguise themselves. He steps in line with the kyton, knowing his sheer might will be useful in the front, but calls back to them. "Do you truly believe that guards of the most powerful beings in the universe would be foolish enough to fall for simple disguises? If they do, I'll gladly allow anyone of you to remove my head, assuming you have the strength to do so."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't know what you're talking about mister." came the child's reply. The kobold's illusions on himself were stronger than even trueseeing. Granted he did lack a bit in the skill department, though he was still skilled enough to fool most peasants and the like.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Gazze responds to Caligula, "When you come upon a safe, what is the first thing you do? Check to see if it is open. I figure I'd at least try to conserve as much energy as possible. Never underestimate the stupidity of others, even oneself. If it works, great. If not, like you said, we're the most powerful criminals in the multiverse. Either way, it may be fun to mess with people, since being locked up for so long was rather boring."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadows swirled around the nightmare king, girding him in the insinuation of ornate ceremonial armor. A brief cacophony of whispers seemed for a moment to resemble a gaggle of advisors - generals, viziers, and bodyguards all hinting at danger in their own way.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Mage Armor on himself, activated the Psychoactive Skin from the Aegis class, and cast Heightened Awareness.

"We will have our fun later. We will be revenged upon the lot of them. Until then we will prepare as best as each of us is able, and take our foes as they come."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umbra took umbrage at the claim that they were all criminal masterminds. He was in no way a criminal, and to suggest such a thing was scandalous. He decided to let the comment pass, since clearly he was not known to the others. They therefore could not be aware of who or what he was, and what that meant. No kyton was a criminal. Misunderstood, certainly. But not criminal. He allowed Caligula to step in front of him. At least he was willing to make an escape, rather than simply playing around at disguising himself from lesser beings, as others were doing. He paused to allow them their foolishness, though, since it was safest to stay together. At least, for now. They could reassess the relationship after escaping and making it to safety. Of course, he could simply shift himself over to the Shadow Plane, but he suspected there could be wards against magical travel. So he decided to walk out, and to do that, he would need help.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Gazze steps forward and walks towards the door, while activating his magical senses to analyze it. He also turns his gaze towards the walls of the hallway and around the door to see if any magic extends along them. He also takes note of the general construction of said walls and what materials they are made of.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casts Detect Magic and makes a Spellcraft check (1d20+15)[34]. Also, a Knowledge (Engineering) check (1d20+15)[25]. Both rolls take into account the -2 penalty mentioned earlier.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Bansheexero:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Show
    Gazze uses his Veil SLA (usable at will, but only on himself) to take the appearance of one of the guards. Disguise check is [roll0]. He will pretend to be a hostage if they encounter any other guards.

**You said -2 to checks, correct? Eagle's Splendor should negate that effectively then.
    -4 on d20 rolls, -2 AC.

Those who leave through the new passage find the new room similar to the last but more open. To both sides the passage continues, gradually curving until you can see no farther. Studded along the length are various doors, mostly wooden like one you could see before but one is metal.

the skeleton follows closely behind you, gesturing at the first door. "If you can do the honours..." he says to none of you in particular, continuing after a second "It is an armoury. Anyone who needs to can equip themselves.".

Gazze the Fire Opal:
    You see the walls are a uniform white pearlescent stone, likely some manner of abnormal marble to judge by texture. The door and the metal on it are plain oak and iron respectively. The building itelf is nonmagical but the door, and indeed all doors in range are mildly enchanted with increased durability, including the lock.

More notable, and indeed powerful, is the entirety of the interior of the structure you are in shows the sign of some protective magic. Something... movement related? No, teleport related. Aiming them to a designated location.

Show

The door has a faint aura of Abjuration.
    The interior of the building has a strong aura of Abjuration.
    Spell is teleport Trap.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"So, the building is rigged with a teleport trap, and the doors are reinforced. As far as I can tell, that is all I saw, but who knows if there is more. The teleport trap is directed somewhere, my guess being either to our cells or a more closed off detention center. Anyone care to dispel the door? I mean, I can't do everything around here."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The kobold disguised as a human child tilts his head, thinking. "I think you might have to be perfect to be able open that door. I'm just a child. So it would be pretty hard for me to do."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umbra frowned. These goodly people were being unusually cunning and sneaky. It was not usually their way to do something like lay a trap on a door. But then again, if it was the armoury, perhaps it was to be expected that precautions be taken. "I fear that I am unable to dispel the trap. My powers are more focused on the mind than on affecting inanimate objects. Someone else will have to do it, or else we either bypass the armoury entirely or we force the door and take our chances," he said.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Caligula steps next to Gazze after he makes his request, cracking his neck. "Step back Djinn, I can handle a pathetic door such as this." Calogula's eyes begin to glow, burning with a deep black fire as he calls upon his infernal abilities. One could almost see the burst of energy that radiates from him as he attempts to dispel the enchantments on the door.

As his eyes die down to their regular hue, he furiously punches the metal door, testing its strength as he attempts to burst through.

Show

Casting Greater Dispel Magic. I'll have it be a 20ft radius burst, centered on Caligula (1d20+8)[13] already taking the -4 penalty into account. I'll also use a
    Mythic Power to give me a surge (1d6)[2]

Regardless of the result, Caligula will attempt to burst through the metal door (1d20+3)[4] Strength Check

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"Naturally the prison is warded against teleportation." Sathonys drew himself up and studied the enchantments on the door for himself.

Spoiler
    Show

If the previous Dispel Magic attempt failed or otherwise didn't remove all the effects, Sathonys can cast Dispel Magic (only the lesser version) to help remove them. When it comes to brute force, IIRC objects always "disbelieve" Shadow spells, so the best he can do is use his at-will Telekinesis SLA to pick up something heavy (max 375 lbs) and use it as an impromptu battering ram.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

d6 Re: Legion of Doom IC

Gazze simply walks up to the door and tries opening it normally. "I said it was reinforced, but simply because a lock is enhanced does not necessarily mean it is engaged. It's worth a shot to try this at least. Remember what I said about coming upon a safe."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia13 View Post
    Caligula steps next to Gazze after he makes his request, cracking his neck. "Step back Djinn, I can handle a pathetic door such as this." Calogula's eyes begin to glow, burning with a deep black fire as he calls upon his infernal abilities. One could almost see the burst of energy that radiates from him as he attempts to dispel the enchantments on the door.

As his eyes die down to their regular hue, he furiously punches the metal door, testing its strength as he attempts to burst through.

Show

Casting Greater Dispel Magic. I'll have it be a 20ft radius burst, centered on Caligula [roll0] already taking the -4 penalty into account. I'll also use a
    Mythic Power to give me a surge [roll1]

Regardless of the result, Caligula will attempt to burst through the metal door [roll2] Strength Check
    You put a good crack in the door accompanied by the sound of splintering, but the handle and hinges are left in place. You are not the only ones present to hear the noise as the noise of your strike triggers screams and muffled voices from the other side.

The armoury is revealed as Gazze opens the door. Decently large, armour on stands lining one side, racks of assorted melee weapons and crossbows just in front, the far end mostly filled with mixed unmarked cabinets. Another door hangs open into a narrow passage. There is a man facing you all, half armourd, holding a shortsword, and trying to work on which direction to flee. By the armour is a woman supporting a bandaged man on her shoulder and trying to get him in position to move.

Show
    Anyone able to see auras detects all the weapons and bolts have a a faint aura of Evocation and the armour has a faint aura of Abjuration.
    No need to roll initiative yet, these guys are in no state to fight.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Caligula begins to grumble to himself as Gazze simply pushes the unlocked door open. When he hears the cries and screams however, a calm smile spread across his face. "Perhaps I am overestimating the capabilities of our captors. I'll simply voice an apology and allow you first pick of the weapons. Assuming the others do not care." Caligula looks back at the ghost, the kyton, and the 'child' then refocuses on Gazze.