New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Checkov's scorch mark

Someone with a reasonably high intelligence or wisdom is going to spot the half a scorch mark when viewing the tunnel from the Team Evil side.

I am talking to you panel 9 of comic 1223!!

Team Evil is not gonna get as surprised as Haley thinks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Checkov's scorch mark

I think it's unlikely they're going to go into a face off against Team Evil as they exit the cave. Something else is going to happen with the Order before Team Evil finishes searching whatever dungeon they're in. Like whoever those invisible voices were.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

They didn't spot the whole scorch mark when going in. In #1222 Oona was looking at Redcloak and was between Redcloak and the scorch mark.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    They didn't spot the whole scorch mark when going in. In #1222 Oona was looking at Redcloak and was between Redcloak and the scorch mark.
    Because Xykon was rushing them in, perhaps. But once they fail to find the order, Oona and Greyview might be more observant and notice the half scorch mark that happens to be exactly where the scent trail ends.
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2021-01-28 at 08:25 AM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Because Xykon was rushing them in, perhaps. But once they fail to find the order, Oona and Greyview might be more observant and notice the half scorch mark that happens to be exactly where the scent trail ends.
    Nominal five copper bet that it's Grewyview who notices it.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Nominal five copper bet that it's Grewyview who notices it.
    Well, his head tends to be quite close to the ground.
    Also, it's dark and invokes images of ruin and destruction.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Team Evil doesn't have a particular reason to believe the Order rushed in on that tunnel, though. Remember that they lost the track, and Xykon picked a door mostly at random. If they don't find the Order, they will just assume they hide on another tunnel.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Team Evil doesn't have a particular reason to believe the Order rushed in on that tunnel, though. Remember that they lost the track, and Xykon picked a door mostly at random. If they don't find the Order, they will just assume they hide on another tunnel.
    I mean Xykon was rushing Team Evil in, preventing them from taking the time to properly analyze the environment for clues and oddities.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

annoyed Re: Checkov's scorch mark

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, his head tends to be quite close to the ground.
    Also, it's dark and invokes images of ruin and destruction.
    Well, scorch marks are merely symbolic of how yet another explosion has gone by and
    how we're still here regardless. No matter how desperate we are that someday a larger, more powerful
    blast will painlessly release us from suffering, with each tile of the floor that is so blackened, we know it's not
    yet to be; that for the rest of our sad, wretched, pathetic lives, we will continue to decay and suffer a little more, and more, every waking moment to the bitter end. Inevitably, irrevocably. So are you really lucky you took half or no damage from that? "Saving" throw? No such thing.

(This was a Seinfeld reference, btw. I am OK)
    Last edited by Shirow; 2021-02-05 at 05:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They discussed the plan before doing it. Therefore it won't work. That's been established as a rule, for some reason I don't understand.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    They discussed the plan before doing it. Therefore it won't work. That's been established as a rule, for some reason I don't understand.
    Google "unspoken plan guarantee". They haven't really discussed it in detail though so I'm not sure it's that big a deal. It's not like they've discussed detailed coordination of actions, which specific spells to use etc.

I would watch though for the consequences of saying that the trap is probably stopping something leaving and then turning their backs on whatever that is while they carry out an ambush facing the other way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Basically, the idea is that there's not much entertainment value in hearing what the plan is and then seeing it go off exactly as stated.

Think like the Scooby-doo cartoons. Fred would set up and explain a trap. But you knew it wouldn't work as stated. They'd get the bad guy, but the fun we in seeing how it would get screwed up and how Scooby or Shaggy stumbled into helping.

Meanwhile, if you don't know what the plan is ahead of time, then the entertainment is in discovering what the plan even is. In those cases, it's better for the plan to work, because if you don't know how it was supposed to go then seeing it go wrong has less impact. You might get this one as a "I've got a plan!" with a jump cut to them executing it, or you might get it as a voice over as you watch things unfold.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

confused Re: Checkov's scorch mark

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    Basically, the idea is that there's not much entertainment value in hearing what the plan is and then seeing it go off exactly as stated.
    Sure there is. "I love it when a plan comes together."

It's just that today, there are so many "rules" about how things can unfold. Along the way, this one got included for some arbitrary reason. It's cliche, but it's everywhere. I believe it to be related to personality types, where there is a specific type that is quickly bored and craves novelty above all else while the rest of us are perfectly fine with a much milder diet.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sure there is. "I love it when a plan comes together."

It's just that today, there are so many "rules" about how things can unfold. Along the way, this one got included for some arbitrary reason. It's cliche, but it's everywhere. I believe it to be related to personality types, where there is a specific type that is quickly bored and craves novelty above all else while the rest of us are perfectly fine with a much milder diet.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I think story telling "rules" are made to be broken when appropriate. Just that "we told you exactly what the plan is, so now there's no way it's going to work as stated" is extremely common.

Personally, my favorite plan presentation is the one where the plan is explained to you in voice over while you are watching it take place. That way you get the novelty of not knowing what the plan is beforehand, but still get the feeling of "gosh, that was clever!" as you get to see it go off exactly as planned.