New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

The guildhall of the Glitbury Merchants' Guild was bustling with activity. Merchants went from one end of the hall to another, working out deals with other merchants, preparing trips across Altesia and the other kingdoms, or other such activities. Even the few odd adventurers and mercenaries can be seen working out contracts with members of the guild. As you all enter the hall, you all have one thought on your mind: find the guildmaster, or at least, a representative of the guildmaster. He had promised anyone who took the offer of clearing the undead out of an old Augustan castrum that had been harassing merchants on the trails traveling near the castrum 600 gold pieces, as well as potential for more, if information about the haunting and how it began was uncovered. However, with how busy it seemed the guildhall was today, it might not be as easy as one might think. Nevertheless, you are determined to find the guildmaster, and begin your quest.

Spoiler: notes
    Show

In a spoiler box, please state your intentions for coming here, and taking this quest, just so I have a better understanding of your motives

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 11/11
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Zephyranthes entered and spent a few moments just adjusting to being in the presence of so many strangers. While she was certainly used to being around others, she wasn't entirely comfortable with people she didn't know and this place was certainly full of that. She looked around for the guildmaster or anyone who seemed like they could help point her in the right direction, but her immediate move was to just make sure she wasn't standing in people's way so that she might better avoid any unwanted attention.

Spoiler
    Show

Zephyranthes is here because as a member of the Knights Arcanum it's her responsibility to go out and perform her lady's works upon the world. Without constant support from other of the knightly order (unless the situation is dire enough to require it), at least for a time to prove herself. And doing such as a permanent task would be acceptable as well, though at this point in time and for her it's as much "have to" as "wants to" and she imagines she's more likely to want to spend most of her time later in life in the company of others of her order.

As for this particular quest, it was merely the first she'd heard tell of that seemed a proper fit. And if she hadn't heard of it she would have come to the guildhall to find something similar anyway.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-01-28 at 12:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Excuse me sir, I am looking for the guild master! Xander Laflamme pushed his way through the crowd looking for someone of importance. As a paladin of Pelor, it was his duty to protect the innocent and who more innocent than those living. He was also looking forward to the reward that would feed many of the poor. He used his size and his shield to help move people out of his way. I am here regarding the undead, time is of the essence. Now where is the guild master.

Spoiler: why Xander is here
    Show
    As you can see I put his reason in my post. I hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-01-28 at 10:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

How am I going to find a way to offer my services to the merchants, when there are so many other people with business here?

"Excuse me sir, I am looking for the Guildmaster!", exclaimed an armored man.

Promising?

The armored man started shoving people out of the way. "I am here regarding the undead, time is of the essence. Now where is the Guildmaster."

I mean, that's not reassuring, but I guess I'd rather face undead with company than the Thieves Guild alone...

He started walking towards the armored man. "You said something about undead?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Jean recently ticked off the city's thieves guild. His plan is to avoid them.

Short term, he wants to leave Giltbury for a while in the company of scary armed people. Long term, he's hoping to join an adventuring company or other group of dangerous individuals who spend long periods of time outside of Giltbury. The idea is to put distance between himself and his enemies, while also improving his combat skills.

He also wants to make friends outside his guild, hoping to leverage the social capital he gains for lucrative business opportunities.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-01-28 at 09:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grimarakas is sitting against one of the walls of the guild hall with his cloak up just listening and watching for any interesting information. When he sees the large armored figure walking in and asking about undead and demanding to see the Guildmaster. This perks his interest and he moves closer carefully

Spoiler: Grimarakas
    Show
    is here to find work and adventure. To try out his newly acquired skills. Also any information and experience that can help him work toward his own goals, and undead would fit in line with that.
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-01-28 at 01:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

A Half-Orc woman with the symbol of Nuada Aergethlam around her neck scans the crowd for anyone who looks like a ranking Guild official. Word had reached her of undead harassing merchant caravans not long ago and, despite her reasons for being in the city, she could not wait while unholy monsters attacked innocents. The arrival of the loud armored man attracts her attention. He looked ready to fight when the need arrised and so she elected to follow after him, since they had the same intent for the undead anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Katherine Demiorque has come to Glitbury to meet her mentor Nicolas after a year apart. She received a letter asking for her, but has yet to find him in the city. He wasn't specific about his summons, but the pressing news of undead has drawn her to do her work as a follower of Nuada and protect others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Human Artificer

Zephyranthes entered and spent a few moments just adjusting to being in the presence of so many strangers. While she was certainly used to being around others, she wasn't entirely comfortable with people she didn't know and this place was certainly full of that. She looked around for the guildmaster or anyone who seemed like they could help point her in the right direction, but her immediate move was to just make sure she wasn't standing in people's way so that she might better avoid any unwanted attention.

Spoiler
    Show

Zephyranthes is here because as a member of the Knights Arcanum it's her responsibility to go out and perform her lady's works upon the world. Without constant support from other of the knightly order (unless the situation is dire enough to require it), at least for a time to prove herself. And doing such as a permanent task would be acceptable as well, though at this point in time and for her it's as much "have to" as "wants to" and she imagines she's more likely to want to spend most of her time later in life in the company of others of her order.

As for this particular quest, it was merely the first she'd heard tell of that seemed a proper fit. And if she hadn't heard of it she would have come to the guildhall to find something similar anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Excuse me sir, I am looking for the guild master! Xander Laflamme pushed his way through the crowd looking for someone of importance. As a paladin of Pelor, it was his duty to protect the innocent and who more innocent than those living. He was also looking forward to the reward that would feed many of the poor. He used his size and his shield to help move people out of his way. I am here regarding the undead, time is of the essence. Now where is the guild master.

Spoiler: why Xander is here
    Show
    As you can see I put his reason in my post. I hope you don't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    How am I going to find a way to offer my services to the merchants, when there are so many other people with business here?

"Excuse me sir, I am looking for the Guildmaster!", exclaimed an armored man.

Promising?

The armored man started shoving people out of the way. "I am here regarding the undead, time is of the essence. Now where is the Guildmaster."

I mean, that's not reassuring, but I guess I'd rather face undead with company than the Thieves Guild alone...

He started walking towards the armored man. "You said something about undead?"

Show
    Jean recently ticked off the city's thieves guild. His plan is to avoid them.

Short term, he wants to leave Giltbury for a while in the company of scary armed people. Long term, he's hoping to join an adventuring company or other group of dangerous individuals who spend long periods of time outside of Giltbury. The idea is to put distance between himself and his enemies, while also improving his combat skills.

He also wants to make friends outside his guild, hoping to leverage the social capital he gains for lucrative business opportunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimaximus View Post
    Grimarakas is sitting against one of the walls of the guild hall with his cloak up just listening and watching for any interesting information. When he sees the large armored figure walking in and asking about undead and demanding to see the Guildmaster. This perks his interest and he moves closer carefully

Spoiler: Grimarakas
    Show
    is here to find work and adventure. To try out his newly acquired skills. Also any information and experience that can help him work toward his own goals, and undead would fit in line with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    A Half-Orc woman with the symbol of Nuada Aergethlam around her neck scans the crowd for anyone who looks like a ranking Guild official. Word had reached her of undead harassing merchant caravans not long ago and, despite her reasons for being in the city, she could not wait while unholy monsters attacked innocents. The arrival of the loud armored man attracts her attention. He looked ready to fight when the need arrised and so she elected to follow after him, since they had the same intent for the undead anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Katherine Demiorque has come to Glitbury to meet her mentor Nicolas after a year apart. She received a letter asking for her, but has yet to find him in the city. He wasn't specific about his summons, but the pressing news of undead has drawn her to do her work as a follower of Nuada and protect others.
    Xander draws the ire of some of the merchants in the guildhall, who give him a look of contempt and irritation, before going back to what they were doing. However, a woman walks toward the paladin, and all your eyes are drawn on her. Her platinum hair, and near-black skin give her away as a drow, yet she walks with an air of authority, almost appraising Xander as she does so. At last, she speaks, "If you're looking for the guildmaster, I'm afraid he's out negotiating with Masharetic merchants requesting business in the city. I'm acting in his place, while he does so. You were asking about the new contract?" She looks around the hall, noticing the other four adventurers standing around. "I presume you all are here for the contract?"
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-01-28 at 04:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine nods to the drow I am indeed. The undead scourge must be brought down She looks to the others and smiles Pleasure to meet you all
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-01-28 at 04:31 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grimarakas stays silent close by to see what will transpire, interested but wary, waiting to see how this conversation plays out.

Show
    [Got an 18 for stealth, not sure how that works in this format]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grimarakas stays silent close by to see what will transpire, interested but wary, waiting to see how this conversation plays out.

Show
    Show
    OOC: I'll say for this that the drow woman already noticed you. She beckoned you to come closer, as with the other four adventurers loitering around
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-01-28 at 05:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean steps forward. "I'm here regarding some kind of work. I barely care what."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

"Oh!" Zephyranthes let's out, a little startled at being immediately called out. Then she steps closer and says, "Yes, that is correct. I am Zephyranthes of House Rose, of Our Lady of the Dawn's Most Beatific Order of Knights Arcane. And you are...?" she trails off, waiting for the drow's introduction.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander bowed towards the lady. I am here to serve, Evil must not be allowed to thrive and hurt the good people. Give me directions and I will take care of this matter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Katherine nods to the drow I am indeed. The undead scourge must be brought down She looks to the others and smiles Pleasure to meet you all

Show
    Jean steps forward. "I'm here regarding some kind of work. I barely care what."
    Human Artificer

"Oh!" Zephyranthes let's out, a little startled at being immediately called out. Then she steps closer and says, "Yes, that is correct. I am Zephyranthes of House Rose, of Our Lady of the Dawn's Most Beatific Order of Knights Arcane. And you are...?" she trails off, waiting for the drow's introduction.
    Xander bowed towards the lady. I am here to serve, Evil must not be allowed to thrive and hurt the good people. Give me directions and I will take care of this matter.
    "Whoa, there, Sir Knight. First, we must agree to the contract, and I believe that there are four others here, also interested in such a contract. I believe we must discuss how they fit into matters, no?" The drow woman turned to the rest of the group, a charming smile on her face. "My apologies for not introducing myself earlier. I am in Adeleisa Dubost, Master merchant and associate of Master Michiel Bruneau. Come with me, where we can discuss these details more personally." Adeleisa then turned to Zephyranthes, regarding her appraisingly. "Also, I heard you say you are a Knight Arcanum. I'd like to point out to both you and the Knight next to me that you'll both get no special treatment by the merchants here. Come along now." She walked off towards a stone staircase, expecting the five to follow them.
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-01-29 at 12:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes follows along, but makes a face at being told she wasn't going to receive "special treatment", which probably just meant proper respect, when she'd done nothing but politely introduce herself.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander follows up the stairs , he glances back at the other adventurers. He hoped they would be competent as they looked.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grimarakas follows to the back of the group quietly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean forces himself not to openly grin when the knight in front of him is not shown the deference that is generally considered their due. He follows at the rear of the group.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-01-29 at 11:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine shrugs and follows their potential employer up the stairs
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes follows along, but makes a face at being told she wasn't going to receive "special treatment", which probably just meant proper respect, when she'd done nothing but politely introduce herself.
    Xander follows up the stairs , he glances back at the other adventurers. He hoped they would be competent as they looked.
    Grimarakas follows to the back of the group quietly.
    Jean forces himself not to openly grin when the knight in front of him is not shown the deference that is generally considered their due. He follows at the rear of the group.
    Katherine shrugs and follows their potential employer up the stairs
    Adeleisa led the quintet down a stone hallway with deeply-vaulting ceilings, and through a set of wooden doors, into a fairly quaint office. She ruffled through some paper documents on a desk sitting in the far end of the room, before finding a rolled up piece of paper, and unrolling it, where she laid it out on the desk in front of her. "Come, the details of the contract are in this document. When you have finished reading, and of course, agree to the terms, sign your name at the bottom, as best you can." She breathed, before continuing, her appraising and authoritative air seeming to fade into a more casual one. "And apologies for before, but this job requires a certain amount of uh... 'professionalism', especially in front of other guild members."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

"Of course." Zephyranthes replies in a very even and neutral way, then she begins reading the contract carefully.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

“Let those of us who need the work take a look, you can go pray about it while you sleep on your cushy ancestors money bags”
    Grabs at the contract with his second pair of arms and starts to read it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander waited his turn and then signed on the scroll. He looked at the other newcomers. When each one had signed he looked at them and held his arm out in a warrior's embrace. I am Xander Laflamme Paladin of Pelor.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

“Let those of us who need the work take a look, you can go pray about it while you sleep on your cushy ancestors money bags”
    Katherine stops smiling and gives the tiefling a hard look No need to be rude. We're all going to be working together, you know. She turns to the knight and returns his grip Katherine Demiorque, Cleric of Nuada Aergethlam.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-01-30 at 02:38 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Jean Bijoutier. A pleasure."

Jean takes the contract, reads it over to make sure he's not signing something that relegates him to slavery, and then signs it if it's at all acceptable.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-01-30 at 10:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

“Havok, knight of the let’s get down to business”

Only signs after everyone else has signed
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-01-30 at 09:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Human Artificer

"Of course." Zephyranthes replies in a very even and neutral way, then she begins reading the contract carefully.
    Xander waited his turn and then signed on the scroll. He looked at the other newcomers. When each one had signed he looked at them and held his arm out in a warrior's embrace. I am Xander Laflamme Paladin of Pelor.
    Katherine stops smiling and gives the tiefling a hard look No need to be rude. We're all going to be working together, you know. She turns to the knight and returns his grip Katherine Demiorque, Cleric of Nuada Aergethlam.
    "Jean Bijoutier. A pleasure."

Jean takes the contract, reads it over to make sure he's not signing something that relegates him to slavery, and then signs it if it's at all acceptable.
    “Havok, knight of the let’s get down to business”

Only signs after everyone else has signed
    The contract was a standard bounty contract. It detailed the quarry, in this case, the unquantified amount of undead haunting the old Augustan castrum of Lincium, which, upon completion, would yield the contractors 600 gold pieces, which would be obtained upon the presentation of some form of proof, the document even stating that a hand of a zombie, or an old Augustan artifact, condition notwithstanding, would be good examples of proof. At the bottom was a long dotted line for multiple signatures. "Take your time and read every bit of it. We're putting more trust in you than you think," Adeleise commented, passing a quill pen and inkpot to Zephyranthes.

Spoiler: Full content of contract
    Show

Printed in large letters are the terms of the contract, spread out so as to fill the page, with the seal of the Merchant's Guild printed on one side of the page. It states,

"Ordered and paid in advance by the guildmaster Michiel Bruneau, the client, this contract, binding in honor of the elements, set upon the agreed contractors of the Merchants' Guild of Glitbury the task of locating and the completion of the below listed objective. This contract is good for two weeks, and should the contract not be fulfilled within that time period, all payments are rendered null and void, and the contractors may not take more contracts with the Merchants' Guild within the current and next month, outside of the Guildmaster's willful forgiveness. The objective has been approved for completion by the Guildmaster Michiel Bruneau. The objective: ending the haunting of the old Augustan castrum of Lincium, the returning of proof thereof. Fee to be due upon completion: 600 gold livres, with potential for more at the Guildmaster's discretion for whatever he deems necessary. The Guildmaster wishes to note to the contractors that the returning of old relics or zombified remains from the objective are more than enough proof of completion."

At the bottom, Adeleisa has signed her name, with the title of "Acting Guildmaster" beneath it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes doesn't immediately respond to Havok's rudeness, merely giving a polite nod to each person as they introduce themselves in turn. Only after finishing reading the contract and singing it, and waiting for the others to do so, she turns to him and says, "Please do not claim titles you have not earned. In jest it is disrespectful of those of us who have put in the effort to earn them and attempt of deceit may be a punishable offense."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-02-01 at 12:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander Laflamme looked over the contract and signed it. Xander Laflamme Paladin of Pelor he smiled when he heard the comment by the knight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean was a bit nervous about the fact that he didn't know how many undead were out there... but he looked at the knights and the four-armed barbarian. "Yeah. I think between us, we can do this thing."

Once he signed, he turned to the drow. "This may not be my place to ask, so if you tell me to stop prying I will, but... Acting Guildmaster? Most of the contract refers to a man who's actually holding the office."