Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue
    AC: 15 HP: 15/15
    PP: 19 PIv: 20 PIs: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Jean, who has also been backing away slowly, gulps nervously again at the threat.

He bows deeply. "As you say. We'll be off now."

He turns and walks away briskly, listening for any hint that he needs to break into a dead run.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With Jean's comment, you all book it out to the edge of Lincium, where your horses are patiently waiting. The land doesn't quite seem so... corrupted, anymore, as if part of the corruption has receded. The grass has taken on a more lively green, and the sun is much brighter than before. Havok, however, notices a skeletal arm was caught on the hem of his trousers as he escaped Lincium

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Well that could have gone better, but hey we are alive" Out of breath Havok looks down and sees the arm, grabs and inspects it. "hmmm.. How'd this get here? Anybody need or want this thing?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean chuckles a bit. "Life is full of possibilities... and death is a bit more final, unless you happen to be an ancient wizard."

Jean raises his eyebrows at the thought of a skeletal arm hitchhiking its way out of the castrum with them.

"I want you to throw it back... but wait, we need to bring something with us to prove we've been here, don't we? It's down in the contract. I do vote we watch the thing closely, though."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2022-01-19 at 04:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok goes to throw it back, hesitates and instead throws it on the ground to see if it does anything.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The arm falls to the ground hard with Havok's throw, and were it not for what remains of ligaments holding the arm bones together, the whole arm would likely have fallen apart. Upon reaching the ground, nothing happens, the arm just sits there

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean stares at it for a few seconds, and then tentatively raises his voice. "Hello there, Mister Undead Skeletal Arm?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean stares at it for a few seconds, and then tentatively raises his voice. "Hello there, Mister Undead Skeletal Arm?"
    The skeletal arm doesn't respond, still laying on the ground

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok still unsure, conjures a 5 foot tall version of the being from the Castrum, and then makes whispers come from the image "Awake my servant and attack your captors!"

Spoiler: cantrips used
    Show
    Minor illusion and thaumaturgy
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2022-01-20 at 09:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimaximus View Post
    Havok still unsure, conjures a 5 foot tall version of the being from the Castrum, and then makes whispers come from the image "Awake my servant and attack your captors!"

Spoiler: cantrips used
    Show
    Minor illusion and thaumaturgy
    Still, nothing happens. The arm remains lifeless as it lays on the now-vibrant green grass

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok satisfied, picks the arm up and stores it in his pack. "All right well, back to Glitberry I guess. Not sure there is anymore we can do here."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean immediately goes for his bow when he sees the lich, only to calm down when he sees that... Grim seems to be controlling it?

He takes his hand off his bow and watches as Grim satisfies himself that the arm didn't react. "Uh... how... did you do that?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2022-01-21 at 01:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Not really sure how I do it, Ive always had a good imagination, and then I was able to make small images appear. At first I thought it was just my imagination, until one day Korden came home when I had some images around."

Havok Creates 2 images of goblins giving them goofy faces and about to attack each other, with a large hunk of cooked meat between them"

"I cant make them move and i have to use my voice if i want them to talk, they also dont smell or anything unless i use some other tricks. They also arent solid, so anyone touches them and it is clear they arent real. It can be fun though."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean considers this for a second.

"So... if you don't know how you do it, then... there's no chance you can teach anyone else?"

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Sorry mate, afraid not" and with a wave of his hand the images disappear.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With little fanfare, you make your way back to Glitbury. It's now deep into dusk, with only the faintest hint of of the already-set sun shining over the horizon. The only few people on the streets are walking into homes to turn in for the night, and guards now begin lighting lanterns and braziers for light.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine has been quiet since leaving the Castrum. As they approach the town, she finally speaks more than a few words The presence of such darkness, so close to Glitbury... I can't imagine the damage so many undead could do. Or how they've only been noticed in small numbers. I was summoned to speak to my mentor, perhaps once we've informed the guild he'll have more answers. He certainly seemed urgent enough in his letter, he may already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean nods.

"If it helps... the skeleton-in-chief didn't seem to harbor any ill-will towards Glitbury. He didn't seem to harbor any good will towards it, either; I think he's completely apathetic towards it, and inclined to completely ignore it. Still... he's made clear that he's not making all of his decisions for himself."

"Right now, though, I'm more concerned with living men. They might want our gold."
    Jean looks around the dark streets. "But none of these men seem to be at all tempted by it. So, that's good."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2022-02-01 at 09:45 PM. Reason: I keep forgetting that it's GLITbury, not GILTbury

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok points to his bag, "Lets worry about getting this thing to where we can get paid for this job. also I don't think the people of Glitberry need to worry about them for now, but its definitely something we should keep an eye out for in the future. He's building an undead army for someone, and I'm sure we will see him again"
    Havok also folds his lower arms closer to his chest under his cloak to try and stick out at least a little less.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 28/28
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9

Zephyr nods in agreement but adds, "We should still let them know."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You all collectively decide to head over to the guildhall to get the contract sorted out. After winding through some dimly-lit streets, the guildhall comes into view, windows glowing brightly from the candles and lanterns within. Upon entering the guildhall, it seems those who remain are packing up for the day. It doesn't take long to spot the drow guild official that gave you the contract, Adeleisa, standing by a bookshelf and poring over a book, her back to you. Hearing your footsteps approach, she looks up from her book and turns, a smile creeping onto her face. "Ah, you're back!" She puts her book down onto a small table near the bookshelf and walks towards you. "I take it you were successful in your tasks?"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 28/28
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9

"Um..." is all Zephyr manages to squeeze out in reply to the query.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Xander steps forward, clearing his throat. "We were able to make it to the castrum without... too much difficulty, and even when we arrived, we were able to clean out the first bits of undead we saw. Then... we encountered a lich deep within the underground tunnels of the castrum" Xander exhales, having gotten the news out.

"A lich? So close to the city?" Adeleisa's eyes go wide with shock. By the Gods, we need to tell the church about this! Come, let me get you your payment. Guildmaster Bruneau has also returned, and would like to know, as well." With this, she turns to go up the same stone staircase you went up just only a few days ago.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding when Adeleisa says they're still getting paid. He nods appreciatively to Xander as he follows her.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Adeleisa leads the group up the stairs and into the room where they first got their contract, now lit by a multitude of candles. This time, a human male with brown hair and green eyes sits on the chair behind the desk, wearing a bright green-and-yellow doublet, looking inquisitively at Adeleisa and the party as she enters. Adeleisa clears her throat. "Guildmaster, we have something of a problem..."

"What is it, Adeleisa? the guildmaster's inquisitive face turns to one of concern as Adeleisa leads the party into the room

"Go on, tell the guildmaster what you told me." She urges the party forward, so as to talk to the guildmaster
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2022-02-11 at 11:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok pulls outs the arm and tosses it on the table.
    "Well we cleared out a bunch of undead, but you have a bigger problem. Down in the lower levels was a lich or necromancer of some kind. That was above the paygrade of this mission, more info will cost more money"
    Crosses his arm waiting to see the reaction and response.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Havok pulls outs the arm and tosses it on the table.
    "Well we cleared out a bunch of undead, but you have a bigger problem. Down in the lower levels was a lich or necromancer of some kind. That was above the paygrade of this mission, more info will cost more money"
    Crosses his arm waiting to see the reaction and response.
    The guildmaster sighs, as he steeples his fingers in front of him. "You're not in much of a place to force negotiations like this, tiefling, but you're right. This was far above what we expected and would pay for. You were promised 300 livres, right? How about I double it to 600 livres? Surviving an encounter with a lich is no small feat."
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2022-02-11 at 03:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok smirks "That price for our effort and the following information is acceptable. We cleared out a large amount of the undead and the area seems to be positively effected by the clearing. The Lich did not seem very concerned with us or with your city or guild. He could have squashed us but instead let us go so imagine he either wants you to know this or just doesn't care. He is under orders from some other entity, we tried to find out who, but he shut that down quickly. It was pretty obvious he was using the castrum to animate as many fallen soldiers as he could for his master."

Havok waves one of his lower hands and creates a 1 foot tall version of the lich on the guildmasters desk.
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2022-02-14 at 02:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Havok smirks "That price for our effort and the following information is acceptable. We cleared out a large amount of the undead and the area seems to be positively effected by the clearing. The Lich did not seem very concerned with us or with your city or guild. He could have squashed us but instead let us go so imagine he either wants you to know this or just doesn't care. He is under orders from some other entity, we tried to find out who, but he shut that down quickly. It was pretty obvious he was using the castrum to animate as many fallen soldiers as he could for his master."

Havok waves one of his lower hands and creates a 1 foot tall version of the lich on the guildmasters desk.
    Good to hear that you were able to clear out some of the undead, but 'master'? This is worrying news..." the guildmaster stares at the mini-lich with fascination, observing its details. "Looks rather... Gallic, wouldn't you say?"

"His robes certainly look the part," Adeleisa adds, observing the mini-lich.

"Well, whatever's the case, you deserve your payment. Adeleisa." the drow nods and walks out, returning later with two large bags, which she sets on the guildmaster's desk. "Each bag should contain 300 gold each. The other was meant to pay for another contract, but I believe you rightly deserve it. In the meantime, I'll get in contact with the bishop, and hopefully, he can send a well-trained paladin or two to cleanse the ruin, and perhaps uncover more details."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok reaches out and picks up each bag one in each hand gives them a little shake before tucking them under his cloak. "Hmmph... Feels about right. Pleasure doing business."