Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Jean nods too. "Jean Bijoutier. A pleasure."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a humble servant of Pelor, Xander Laflamme. Thank you for this opportunity. Xansays holding his hand out.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Havok, just Havok. Let's get a move on"

Continues to keep watch near the rear of the party.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    Jean nods too. "Jean Bijoutier. A pleasure."
    Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    I am a humble servant of Pelor, Xander Laflamme. Thank you for this opportunity. Xansays holding his hand out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimaximus View Post
    "Havok, just Havok. Let's get a move on"

Continues to keep watch near the rear of the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 11/11
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Following after Jacques, Zephyranthes introduces herself, "Zephyranthes of House Rose, of Our Lady of the Dawn's Most Beatific Order of Knights Arcane, at your service Mr. Jacques." There isn't quite a smile to go with the words, but she does give a polite nod at least.
    The group passed through the northern part of the city eventlessly, as Jacques led them through long and winding streets to the north gate. However, Grim still can't shake the feeling that he's being followed.

Spoiler: For Grim Only
    Show

You see a shadow move between the alleys, and it inches forward, where you see a humanoid figure in a cloak inch out into the light. He beckons you to come closer, and you cautiously do so. "Hey, I know you're going to that old fort. And before you shove your sword into my gullet, hear me out. Call it free advice, but there's more to that place than you'd expect going on at that fort. Keep your eyes open." And with that, the cryptic man disappears into the shadows, leaving you confused, and having to catch up with the rest of the group.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Insight
    (1d20-2)[2]

Then quietly rejoins the rear of the group staying alert and contemplating the warning.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose it might make sense to acquaint each other with our skills. I'm a fair hand with my mace and spear, but I'm also blessed by Nuada Aergethlam to perform magic to help protect the people of this land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean nods. "That could be useful. For myself, I'm pretty good with a rapier or a shortbow... but where I really expect to be useful is disarming traps and quietly scouting ahead for danger."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

"My skills lie more with scholarly knowledge and the use of tools. I am capable of using some magic and my preferred weapon is a dagger. I am working on something that I hope will enhance my usefulness in combat, but it may be some time before I am finished." Zephyranthes says, not mentioning that she's capable of fighting in armor since she's clearly wearing it at the moment.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a paladin capable of fighting with sword and shield. Xander says looking at the others. Well met. May we watch each other's back. I too have limited healing.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Insight
    [roll0]

Then quietly rejoins the rear of the group staying alert and contemplating the warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I suppose it might make sense to acquaint each other with our skills. I'm a fair hand with my mace and spear, but I'm also blessed by Nuada Aergethlam to perform magic to help protect the people of this land.
    Jean nods. "That could be useful. For myself, I'm pretty good with a rapier or a shortbow... but where I really expect to be useful is disarming traps and quietly scouting ahead for danger."
    Human Artificer

"My skills lie more with scholarly knowledge and the use of tools. I am capable of using some magic and my preferred weapon is a dagger. I am working on something that I hope will enhance my usefulness in combat, but it may be some time before I am finished." Zephyranthes says, not mentioning that she's capable of fighting in armor since she's clearly wearing it at the moment.
    I am a paladin capable of fighting with sword and shield. Xander says looking at the others. Well met. May we watch each other's back. I too have limited healing.
    As you talked, the merchant led you through the north gate, where a group of horses and carts are together, the merchant's caravan. "Well, we're all here. We set off as soon as you're all mounted." A stable boy walked towards the group, leading 5 horses by their reins to the group. "My gifts to you. Feel free to keep them even after we separate. You would probably want them, as adventurers." The stable boy dropped the reins, and went back to his duties, and the five horses calmly watch the group. None of them are anywhere close to a courser* or a destrier**, but they're capable enough rounceys***, and should serve you well.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

*Coursers are light, fast warhorses favored by lighter men-at-arms for speed on the battlefield, although they were often ridden by heavy knights and men-at-arms instead of the below because of the smaller cost of coursers. They are well-known for their straight, fast gait
    **Destriers are heavy, strong warhorses favored by knights and heavier men-at-arms for their ability to stand up to hits, and to charge through enemy lines. Highly prized, and highly expensive
    ***Rounceys are all-around horses that can be used in war, but often served as basic pack horses or riding horses. Reliable, and essentially the jack-of-all-trades of medieval horses

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's... really generous of you. Thanks."

Jean calmly approaches the horses, making sure not to make any sudden moves.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

"A most generous gift. Thank you." Zephyranthes says and then looks over the horses, trying to find the most gentle natured one as she was never the greatest of riders.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander Laflamme looked over the horses and took the one with the most spirit. There, there we are going to be good friends.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok chooses the next available steed, takes a moment to get acquainted. Mounts up, “this will do nicely. Let’s be on our way”

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine takes a horse, petting its mane to get it used to her contact before mounting This is very kind of you. We'll take good care of them. She slings her spear over her shoulder as they ride, staying far enough away from the others to not accidentally poke them with it.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-02-28 at 02:20 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"That's... really generous of you. Thanks."

Jean calmly approaches the horses, making sure not to make any sudden moves.
    Human Artificer

"A most generous gift. Thank you." Zephyranthes says and then looks over the horses, trying to find the most gentle natured one as she was never the greatest of riders.
    Xander Laflamme looked over the horses and took the one with the most spirit. There, there we are going to be good friends.
    Havok chooses the next available steed, takes a moment to get acquainted. Mounts up, “this will do nicely. Let’s be on our way”
    Katherine takes a horse, petting its mane to get it used to her contact before mounting This is very kind of you. We'll take good care of them. She slings her spear over her shoulder as they ride, staying far enough away from the others to not accidentally poke them with it.
    As you all chose your horses, the caravan started to move, riding out from the stables, due northward, along an old cobblestone path. Soon, you find yourself out in the countryside, following along with the caravan.

Spoiler: Request
    Show

Tell me your position within the caravan. For reference, there are five main carts in the caravan, and you are all riding beside it, whether that be to the left of a certain cart, or to the right. Jacques rides up front, and the rest of the carts are behind him
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-02-28 at 02:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander Laflamme pulls his horse along side the second cart on the left side where he keeps his shield so that he can protect the driver easily.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok pulls his steed to the left of the caravan, keeping pace with the 4th cart. Holding the reigns with his lower arms, shield and sword at the ready in the top two. Keeping his head on a swivel watching the woods and the rear for any signs of trouble.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean pulls up to the right of the caravan and keeps pace with the third cart, trying to watch to the sides. He switches between looking left and looking right at random but frequent intervals.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-03-01 at 03:35 AM. Reason: forgot I had a horse

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine takes the right hand side of the caravan, levelling her spear into a ready position as they leave the city behind.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Xander Laflamme pulls his horse along side the second cart on the left side where he keeps his shield so that he can protect the driver easily.
    Havok pulls his steed to the left of the caravan, keeping pace with the 4th cart. Holding the reigns with his lower arms, shield and sword at the ready in the top two. Keeping his head on a swivel watching the woods and the rear for any signs of trouble.
    Jean pulls up to the right of the caravan and keeps pace with the third cart, trying to watch to the sides. He switches between looking left and looking right at random but frequent intervals.
    Katherine takes the right hand side of the caravan, levelling her spear into a ready position as they leave the city behind.
    You all followed along with the caravan, keeping pace with it as it winded through the Altesian countryside. Most of the way, all you see are farmlands, forests, and open plains, although a few farmsteads are burned out, reminders of the dangers posed by living out here. You continued on, moving at a steady pace, until you reached a fork, one path made of Augustan stone, the other made of dirt. The caravan turned onto the dirt path, which winded near a forest. A small-ish cliff face added flair to the otherwise flat land. As you came up upon the cliff, however, a human man was spotted, in a rough smattering of padded armor, a flanged mace at his side. As you got closer, you could see that he's grinning, eyeing the carts that are no doubt filled with valuable goods. "We got one, lads! Up and at 'em!" he yelled. All of a sudden, four more men in rough armor appeared, each one carrying shortbows, two on the cliff face to the caravan's right, and two in the woods to the caravan's left. The leader of these bandits drew his mace.

Everyone, roll initiative!

Spoiler: Battle map and key
    Show

C#: Cart [insert cart number here]
    XL: Xander
    ZR: Zephyranthes
    JB: Jean
    GH: Havok
    KD: Katherine
    B#: Bandit [insert number here]
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-05 at 08:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander pulls out his long sword and climbs off the horse.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok dismounts and faces the bandits in the woods, shield and sword at the ready

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jacques came out of his cart, drawing a warhammer laying next to him. "Alright, you bastards. You want my stuff, then come and get 'em!" He rushed forward with his warhammer, deftly swinging it down on Bandit 1

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[8]

EDIT: However, the bandit weaved out of the way, readying himself for another strike (OOC: It is now Bandit 4's turn)
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-05 at 11:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bandit 4, meanwhile, moved closer to the caravan, and further out of the woods. He drew his shortbow, aiming for Xander. He loosed the bow, arrow flying towards the paladin.

Spoiler: roll
    Show

(1d20+3)[13]

EDIT: However, it missed, flying over the caravan entirely, before being deflected harmlessly off the cliff-face.

It is now Jean's turn

Spoiler: New battle map
    Show

Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-05 at 11:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean moves his horse over to the bandit leader, hoping to take advantage of Jacques's distraction to hit in a more vital area. (Or to put it another way, I'm pretty sure I can't sneak attack anyone else.)

(1d20+6)[24] to hit.
    (1d6+4)[6] to hurt.
    (1d6)[6] to really hurt.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The first bandit was taken by surprise, as the thrust from Jean on his horse passed through his gambeson, and deep into his upper chest. As the blade left his torso, he staggered backwards a few inches, bleeding profusely. Bandit 5, seeing his leader in trouble, took aim with his bow at Jean, letting the bowstring loose.

Show

(1d20+3)[23]
    (OOC: Pay no attention to the natural 20 here. The real roll will be on Discord. Doing this just so you don't immediately die)

EDIT: The arrow flew right into the back of Jean's right shoulder, sinking through his leather armor, striking him for 4 points of damage
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-06 at 07:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The first bandit, who was badly injured, decided to strike at Jean, the man who tried to hurt him originally, as he figured the horseman who attacked him just went down. He swung his mace down on Jacques.

Show

(1d20+3)[13]

EDIT: However, Jacques weaves out of the way

It is now Havok's turn

Spoiler: updated battle map
    Show

Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-06 at 08:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok charges at the 5th bandit hiding in the woods, his eyes and hair a blaze as he charges. “You shall not live to learn the folly of your mistake this day!”
    And slashes down with his long sword with fury.
    (Rolls in discord)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The fifth bandit is taken by surprise, and couldn't react as the tip of Havok's sword pierced his side. He staggered back, clutching his side. The second bandit, whose actions happened alongside the fifth bandit's, saw that Jean "went down", and thus turned his bow on Jacques. He loosed the bowstring, and let the arrow fly.

Show

(1d20+3)[11]

The arrow flew too high, however, and sailed harmlessly over the caravan, and into the woods.

It is now Katherine's turn

Spoiler: updated battle map
    Show

Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-03-06 at 10:49 PM.