New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Havok ties up his horse with the others, takes the saddle off, brushes her down and makes sure she has plenty to eat and drink. He then sets up his spot in camp.

“You ladies get some rest, we will wake you if anything “interesting” happens”

He heads over to near where Xander is posted and finds his own vantage point of the Castrum. As he walks over he pulls up some of the decaying grass and takes a closer look and gives it a sniff.

( 11 perception, 16 stealth)

Sword and shield at the ready he turns Towards Xander and Jean “I’m excited for the coming battles, but I am growing more and more concerned about the level of decay in this region. Something greater is at play then just some lingering undead. I have feeling we will find out sooner than later.”

“Hey Xander while we are waiting maybe you can pray the life back into the region” (behind his shield and muttering under his breath he casts thaumaturgy to make the ground rumble under Xander)

“Jean what brings you out adventuring in this region of the world?”
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-03-15 at 09:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean shrugs. "Well, life's an adventure no matter where you are... particularly if you've just successfully completed an infiltration mission targeting the city's Thieves Guild, and given them a blow they won't recover from within a young human's remaining natural lifespan."

Jean shrugged. "I expected I'd see the undead coming, and that they wouldn't be actively looking for me."

"What about you? Are you running from anything? Or just looking for something?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-03-15 at 10:54 PM. Reason: I don't remember *why* I thought that needed quote tags

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok gives a chuckle, “doing a job like that is a good way to make that lifespan considerably shorter, but I like your style.”

“Me I have something I need to do, that I’m not quite ready for and honestly not sure how to do it just yet anyway.”

“And yeah undead are good like that, they don’t usually come looking for you”

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander felt the earth move and took it as a sign from Pelor. It is a good sign, Pelor will guide our hand against this evil. We need to have each other's back let's not get split up.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"... So, this is a practice run? I suppose I understand. Part of why I'm adventuring is to build my skills up, in case the Thieves Guild does find me at some point."

Jean turns to Xander. "I suppose that makes sense. We should probably stay near the camp, too. In case we're wrong about the undead, and they do have enough wits to have patrols around."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

“Not so much practice, I have been doing that and studying my whole life. I have reached the point where study and practice are not growing me as much as I need, this is what I must do to grow.”

Turns away from Xander and mumbles some more thaumaturgic incantations.
    (Xander heard whispers in the air of Hope, steadfast through the darkness, and a bright new dawn: also make a crow caw in the trees behind Xander)
    Havok chuckles to him self while he continues to keep an eye toward the Castrum.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean nods approvingly. "You know... I think I understand. It only gets you so far, right? I got a basic course in theft before I infiltrated the Thieves Guild... but I really learned by doing. And they taught me how to use a shortsword, in theory... let's see if I can figure out the practice on these undead."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

You two talk like girls, now stand ready, people's lives are at stake. Xander says not even turning his head still looking at the ruins.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

None of you saw much, as the hill was obscured by darkness for most of the night. You caught glimpses of what you thought could be movement along the walls of the castrum, but nothing approached your camp. It's now roughly midnight, and the start of the next shift.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

"I thought I saw movement along the walls a few times," Jean whispers to the other two around the end of their watch. "We should probably warn the next watch that the corpses seem to be restless, even by undead standards."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-05 at 08:21 PM. Reason: JUST realized I'd said "Jim" instead of "Jean"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure and now let's get some needed rest. Xander says as he strips off his armor and keeps his shield and sword right next to his head.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok walks up and wakes the ladies from their slumber, trying not to startle them.
    "Hey its time for next watch, not a lot of activity but there was some movement near the top of the castrum"
    Havok quietly lays down to get some much needed rest, leaving his armor on and sword and shield at his side.
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-03-22 at 12:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine awakens and stretches, taking a short time to arm herself and put on her armor Thank you Havok. We'll keep an eye out for anything else. She takes a position where she can keep an eye on the castrum, but she occasionally scans their nearer surroundings as well and speaks quietly with her watch partner Zephyranthes, have you ever done something like this before? I've had a few scrapes with brigands and goblins, but raiding a fortress of the dead has me uneasy. she lays a hand on her holy symbol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 20/20
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Similar to Katherine, Zephyranthes dons her armor and picks up her large shield first thing and then uses some magic to clean herself, her clothes, and her equipment. Before she does anything she takes the time to pray to Aurora for a few minutes.

Once she's finished, she takes a seat near Katherine where she can watch a different angle for activity and replies with a shake of her head, "No, I have not. I suppose my experience with these matters is about the same as yours. I have spent most of my life in Castle Livre, a chapter house of Our Lady of the Dawn's Most Beatific Order of Knights Arcane. I am not so strong or magically talented or given as much divine blessing as some others of the knights, mostly I like to make things, but I am a knight all the same. That is mainly what I am out here to prove I suppose. I am.... not looking forward to this. I cannot imagine many things more unpleasant that facing animate rotting dead things." At this she makes a face, clearly one of disgust more than fear.

Maybe it's something about those words or that expression or just sitting close by for long enough, but Katherine would notice that Zephyranthes smells like rosewater. Which is perhaps an odd scent for someone who has been traveling and hadn't had time to bathe and didn't have time to use any perfume.

When she's finished speaking she puts a hand to her armor and infuses it with magical energy. In her mind she visualizes the changes she wishes to make, in a sort of blueprint like manner, and her magic makes it happen. The result is armor of a rather different shape and an alabaster hue (matches her picture now if it didn't before). She then does the same with her dagger, though the change isn't quite as remarkable even though the shape changes a bit and the metal blade changes to having a teal tint.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-03-25 at 03:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine points to her armor I cannot say I have met many blessed with your gifts. Aurora's light wraps itself around you, crafter. She turns her gaze back to the fortress, her grey hand hand still on the symbol of Nuada Aergethlam around her neck I believe... I know we'll make it through. The gods are with us, we're doing righteous work. Letting go of the holy symbol, the cleric scratches her head and laughs lightly It will probably reek in there though. Do you have a lot of that perfume? It might come in handy.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-03-27 at 01:22 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes smiles at Katherine's words. She'd been afraid her feelings on the matter would be disregarded or mocked as being fussy. "Yes and no. It is not a perfume, but a magical effect I can create that will last until I end the effect. Please, let me know whatever scent you'd like and which object you'd like it to come from. I could also do other things this way, like sounds or something visual or make it emit a bit of light. But we are both right to feel that scent is the most important here." she replies, and eagerly awaits to see what Katherine's preference might be, glad to have common ground with someone outside of the Knights Arcanum.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine thinks a moment about what she'd want to smell Can it be anything? You know the smell after a fresh rain? It's very peaceful. It might help put me at ease once we get going.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes nods and thinks on the smell for a few moments and then takes out a sewing kit and seems to sew magical energy into the item Katherine designates. Once she's done, it has that "after a rain" fresh smell. "I hope that helps." she says once she's finished.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine smiles as she takes the scarf back I'm sure it will. I'm glad to have you with us, Zephyranthes, for more than just the scarf. It gives me confidence to have the gods so clearly backing us. She returns to her vigil, but is less tense than before.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-03-30 at 07:35 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes smiles at that and replies, "And I am glad to have your company as well Katherine. It is nice to have the company of another woman." She leaves unsaid why specifically, though this is largely because she assumes Katherine knows all the various reasons why this would be so.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed. It's quite welcome. Katherine is content to pass the rest of their shift in relative silence, but her demeanor is more confident and she tucks away the scarf securely for use the next day.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The night passed without event for the party. The sun started to peak over the horizon when you woke up, bathing the castrum in the orange of the dawn light. Nothing could be seen on the walls, but that didn't mean that nothing was there...

Without further delay, you began your mission in earnest.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander Laflamme got his gear ready and said a prayer to Pelor. Let us be thankful for what we have and let's get to work ridding this evil.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue
    AC: 15 HP: 15/15
    PP: 19 PIv: 20 PIs: 14

"Yeah, I think we're ready." Jean draws his shortsword. "I should probably be in the middle of the group, so that I can respond to attacks from any direction, but won't be the first to meet them."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok picks up his sword and shield preparing for the days events.
    "I will cover our flank as we enter, there will probably be a lot of places where things can come from in there."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander ties his horse to a bush. He pulls out his long sword and moves his shield in to a defensive position. I will take the lead .

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

With Xander and Katherine deciding to go in front, Zephyranthes walks nearest to Jean in the middle.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine sets herself beside Xander, a defensive position on his sword side to guard his less protected flank I hope you don't mind the company. I believe I'll better support you from up here. She has her shield up, but her mace is at her side and her spear is at her back. The half-orc instead clutches her holy symbol Vigilant protector, help me be a bastion wall for my allies in our fight. She finishes her prayer and turns her eyes to the castrum.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figure two people covering the front will make it harder for them to pass us and I've got an earlier Turn Undead chance if needed.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2021-04-08 at 12:58 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a good tactical position for us. Xander says as the group slowly approaches the castrum. Remember our job is to clear this place. I think we need to find a defensible position and let them come to us. So keep an eye out for a room or doorway that will work.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Just because its day time doesnt mean this is any safer, everyone keep your eyes out and heads on a swivel"

Right before entering the castrum Havok focuses and faint flames radiate from him (false Life add temp 6hp)

"we should keep an eye out for a defensible position incase things take a turn, but a place this large im afraid we arent going to be able to complete our objective by staying in one place."
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-04-08 at 02:26 PM.