Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Artemisia - IC Thread

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue
    AC: 15 HP: 15/15
    PP: 19 PIv: 20 PIs: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Jean hesitates. It's true that he'd agreed to venture into the undead-infested ruins, but now that he was actually in the position of being able to do it? "Is there some way to get them to come to us? You're right, there's no reason to think they'd do it on their own, but maybe we can persuade them? Maybe whoever has the best armor can get their attention and get the undead to chase them..."

Jean facepalms. "No, probably not if we do it out here. We saw movement on the walls last night, but there's nothing there now; that probably means they hate (or even fear) the sun." He looks up with a smirk on his face. "Maybe there's a way to use that?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Xander Laflamme got his gear ready and said a prayer to Pelor. Let us be thankful for what we have and let's get to work ridding this evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

"Yeah, I think we're ready." Jean draws his shortsword. "I should probably be in the middle of the group, so that I can respond to attacks from any direction, but won't be the first to meet them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimaximus View Post
    Havok picks up his sword and shield preparing for the days events.
    "I will cover our flank as we enter, there will probably be a lot of places where things can come from in there."
    Xander ties his horse to a bush. He pulls out his long sword and moves his shield in to a defensive position. I will take the lead .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Zephyranthes of House Rose
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 20/20
    PP: 9 PIv: 13 PIs: 9

With Xander and Katherine deciding to go in front, Zephyranthes walks nearest to Jean in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Katherine sets herself beside Xander, a defensive position on his sword side to guard his less protected flank I hope you don't mind the company. I believe I'll better support you from up here. She has her shield up, but her mace is at her side and her spear is at her back. The half-orc instead clutches her holy symbol Vigilant protector, help me be a bastion wall for my allies in our fight. She finishes her prayer and turns her eyes to the castrum.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figure two people covering the front will make it harder for them to pass us and I've got an earlier Turn Undead chance if needed.
    This is a good tactical position for us. Xander says as the group slowly approaches the castrum. Remember our job is to clear this place. I think we need to find a defensible position and let them come to us. So keep an eye out for a room or doorway that will work.
    "Just because its day time doesnt mean this is any safer, everyone keep your eyes out and heads on a swivel"

Right before entering the castrum Havok focuses and faint flames radiate from him (false Life add temp 6hp)

"we should keep an eye out for a defensible position incase things take a turn, but a place this large im afraid we arent going to be able to complete our objective by staying in one place."
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean hesitates. It's true that he'd agreed to venture into the undead-infested ruins, but now that he was actually in the position of being able to do it? "Is there some way to get them to come to us? You're right, there's no reason to think they'd do it on their own, but maybe we can persuade them? Maybe whoever has the best armor can get their attention and get the undead to chase them..."

Jean facepalms. "No, probably not if we do it out here. We saw movement on the walls last night, but there's nothing there now; that probably means they hate (or even fear) the sun." He looks up with a smirk on his face. "Maybe there's a way to use that?"
    You walked towards the castrum without further delay, and upon going through a broken portion of the wall, you see that it seems deserted. Nothing is moving, and there is no clear humanoid figure or figures walking around. It seemed as if the undead had left, although the lingering shadows and aura of darkness and fear still lingered.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks around. "So, there are none walking the grounds, either. Which would make sense if they were hiding from the sun..."

"Or if they all left. Uh... we should probably still hunt them down if they left, shouldn't we?"

Jean smiles. "You think we can ask for extra money if we have to go hunting for them in the countryside?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-09 at 08:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

After some searching around and what might be some kind of minor divine intervention, Zephyranthes stops in front of a trap door and calls to the others. "I believe I have found where the undead have gone. There are more trap doors like this one, clearly used recently. I notice a few others there and there." she announces in her still soft despite trying to be loud enough to be heard voice as she points out the trap doors.

"There is also an old shrine to Iroas there. Which makes sense considering where we are." she adds with a shrug and points that out too in case anyone else wants to take a look. Maybe one of her companions is a historical enthusiast or would know more about Iroas iconography than she does.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander looked at the trap door. Does anyone have any spikes so we can keep the doors shut. Then we can allow one door to open at a time.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

That seems wise. Are we going to wait for them to come out, then? Katherine searches to see if anything can be used as makeshift spikes, since she has none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks at the trapdoors, and thinks for a second. "Uh... that might work? If we're able to seal off the trapdoors well enough that they can only come out of one, and then we all wait by that one, we can make them come to us... and all from the same direction."

"On the other hand... if they are all waiting for sundown, like I suspect... then maybe there's some actual advantage to doing so for them. We'd still want to seal off most of the doors so that they can only come from one direction... but maybe we'd want to actually go in after them through whichever door we didn't seal."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-10 at 01:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

If we do go down, we should try to learn which would be the best door for us to use before sealing all but one of them off... But in that case could it be better to leave them unblocked? In case we're driven towards a trap door other than our chosen entrance and have to flee.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

“We should go down and take the fight to them. It would be a safe assumption that these are only a few In a series of trap doors. If we bar all but one that will work for what cakes out of these as a choke point, but we also run the risk of this building being surrounded and us having no way out.”
    “Also my blade doesn’t want to wait till dark”

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks around. "So, there are none walking the grounds, either. Which would make sense if they were hiding from the sun..."

"Or if they all left. Uh... we should probably still hunt them down if they left, shouldn't we?"

Jean smiles. "You think we can ask for extra money if we have to go hunting for them in the countryside?"
    Human Artificer

After some searching around and what might be some kind of minor divine intervention, Zephyranthes stops in front of a trap door and calls to the others. "I believe I have found where the undead have gone. There are more trap doors like this one, clearly used recently. I notice a few others there and there." she announces in her still soft despite trying to be loud enough to be heard voice as she points out the trap doors.

"There is also an old shrine to Iroas there. Which makes sense considering where we are." she adds with a shrug and points that out too in case anyone else wants to take a look. Maybe one of her companions is a historical enthusiast or would know more about Iroas iconography than she does.
    Xander looked at the trap door. Does anyone have any spikes so we can keep the doors shut. Then we can allow one door to open at a time.
    That seems wise. Are we going to wait for them to come out, then? Katherine searches to see if anything can be used as makeshift spikes, since she has none.
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks at the trapdoors, and thinks for a second. "Uh... that might work? If we're able to seal off the trapdoors well enough that they can only come out of one, and then we all wait by that one, we can make them come to us... and all from the same direction."

"On the other hand... if they are all waiting for sundown, like I suspect... then maybe there's some actual advantage to doing so for them. We'd still want to seal off most of the doors so that they can only come from one direction... but maybe we'd want to actually go in after them through whichever door we didn't seal."
    If we do go down, we should try to learn which would be the best door for us to use before sealing all but one of them off... But in that case could it be better to leave them unblocked? In case we're driven towards a trap door other than our chosen entrance and have to flee.
    “We should go down and take the fight to them. It would be a safe assumption that these are only a few In a series of trap doors. If we bar all but one that will work for what cakes out of these as a choke point, but we also run the risk of this building being surrounded and us having no way out.”
    “Also my blade doesn’t want to wait till dark”
    Eventually, you chose the trap doors to seal up, and entered the trap door near the shrine to Iroas. The moment you all stepped into the underground area, you all felt a deep chill resonate up and down your spine. As it subsides, you all looked around. It was almost pitch black, and a stone path, likely carved by the Augustan builders of the castrum, extended out in front of you, into the darkness. Those with darkvision can barely make out that it curved left around 40 or so feet away from your current location. Empty sconces for torches or lamps dot the rock walls, most of them having rusted over, presumably from centuries of disuse.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander takes the left side of the tunnel. He pulls out his long sword and puts his shield in a defensive position. Let's be careful. If we get in trouble, we fall back to here.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks around. "It's dark in here, isn't it?"

He pulls out his hooded lantern, and uses the light from the open trapdoor to see well enough to light it.

"This one's got a hood on it, so it should be easy to hide the light if we need to. Uh... should I hold this, or does one of you want to?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"I'll hold it" and Havok reaches out and grabs it with his left lower hand. Shield to the side of it, sword drawn in the other.

"i guess I will lead the way, the path curves about 40 feet in front of us. Do we want to leave a lit torch in the sconce here so we know this is our exit?, undead aren't particularly smart."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

"The more light the better I think." Zephyranthes comments and lights the torch in the sconce (or puts a torch in and lights it if there isn't one that will light there).

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

As Xander passes an empty sconce , he will put a torch in it . Can you light these as I go. I have ten torches.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine settles into the middle-front of the group, still keeping ahold of her holy symbol. She reaches out and taps Xander, blessing him with divine insight

Spoiler
    Show

Using Guidance on Xander, hopefully for Perception checks
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Xander takes the left side of the tunnel. He pulls out his long sword and puts his shield in a defensive position. Let's be careful. If we get in trouble, we fall back to here.
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean looks around. "It's dark in here, isn't it?"

He pulls out his hooded lantern, and uses the light from the open trapdoor to see well enough to light it.

"This one's got a hood on it, so it should be easy to hide the light if we need to. Uh... should I hold this, or does one of you want to?"
    "I'll hold it" and Havok reaches out and grabs it with his left lower hand. Shield to the side of it, sword drawn in the other.

"i guess I will lead the way, the path curves about 40 feet in front of us. Do we want to leave a lit torch in the sconce here so we know this is our exit?, undead aren't particularly smart."
    Human Artificer

"The more light the better I think." Zephyranthes comments and lights the torch in the sconce (or puts a torch in and lights it if there isn't one that will light there).
    As Xander passes an empty sconce , he will put a torch in it . Can you light these as I go. I have ten torches.
    Katherine settles into the middle-front of the group, still keeping ahold of her holy symbol. She reaches out and taps Xander, blessing him with divine insight

Spoiler
    Show

Using Guidance on Xander, hopefully for Perception checks
    With the hooded lamp now lit, you continued down the passageway, reaching the bend. The light from the lamp shows another fairly straight passageway, this one continuing down for roughly 35 ft. going straight. There seem to be few torch sconces on the walls. You do hear one thing, though: the rattle of bones. You can't tell how many walkers there are right away, as none can be seen, but there seem to be a few, based on the noise they're making.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander readies for battle.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

"Do we let them come to us?" Jean whispers. "Or take this to them? With a living enemy, I'd worry they might warn their comrades, but I don't know if undead know to do that. And approaching their position might mean a nasty surprise."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Taking a spot to the right of Havok in the front line, blocking the hallway from any undead getting past them to those behind them, Zephyranthes lightly clanks her dagger against her shield to draw the nearby undead to their position.

Spoiler
    Show

Readying to throw my dagger (it's returning) at the first foe that gets within 20 feet and is in the light, basically first foe I don't have disadvantage against.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-04-28 at 12:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean silently walked towards the middle of the back row, and drew his shortbow so that he could join the fight without needing to get into sword-range.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-30 at 05:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Xander readies for battle.
    Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

"Do we let them come to us?" Jean whispers. "Or take this to them? With a living enemy, I'd worry they might warn their comrades, but I don't know if undead know to do that. And approaching their position might mean a nasty surprise."
    Human Artificer

Taking a spot to the right of Havok in the front line, blocking the hallway from any undead getting past them to those behind them, Zephyranthes lightly clanks her dagger against her shield to draw the nearby undead to their position.

Spoiler
    Show

Readying to throw my dagger (it's returning) at the first foe that gets within 20 feet and is in the light, basically first foe I don't have disadvantage against.

Jean Bijoutier
    Human Rogue

Jean silently walked towards the middle of the back row, and drew his shortbow so that he could join the fight without needing to get into sword-range.
    As you prepared for combat, you saw three figures step into the dim light cast by your hooded lantern. Two of them were very skeletal, clad in rusted and quite visibly beaten-up Augustan segmented armor. They each wielded an Augustan shortsword, and a large tower shield, both in a state of disrepair, as well. However, the third figure stood out. This medium creature resembled a human corpse, armed and armored in a similar way to its skeletal compatriots, with the addition of a plumed helmet on its head. Its wild, frantic eyes burned with malevolence. The leathery, desiccated flesh was drawn tight across its bones, a stark contrast to the fleshless skeletons that flanked it, and its teeth have grown into sharp, jagged needles. None have come into the bright light, but they stared down the party at the other end of the passageway.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Havok stared intently at the central figure unable to determine what it was, frustrated he lets loose his flaming purple eldritch blast at the skeleton to its side. (Atk 19, dmg 6)
    He then readies his shield and sword for the coming assault.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Havok stared intently at the central figure unable to determine what it was, frustrated he lets loose his flaming purple eldritch blast at the skeleton to its side. (Atk 19, dmg 6)
    He then readies his shield and sword for the coming assault.
    The eldritch blast slammed into the skeleton head on, and the skeleton recoiled hard. However, it remained on its feet, continuing to come closer to you.

Everyone, roll initiative! Combat map here, in case you want quick access to it
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-05-01 at 10:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander looks at the others. According to my religious studies, the skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons. The middle one is a wight and he fears no weapons. We must destroy him first.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The fleshy undead, having seen the number it will be going up against, backed up 5 feet, raising its shield up, and positioning its sword into a thrusting position right beside the shield

It is now Xander's turn

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Xander sheathed his sword and pulls out his war hammer. He waits for the enemy to come to them.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-05-02 at 06:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Human Artificer

Zephyranthes takes a step back and prepares to throw her dagger at the unknown kind of undead when it comes within precise range.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving one space down.

Readying to throw my dagger (it's returning and magical) at ? when it gets within 20 feet.
    Just gonna make the roll for that here.

Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    if crit: (1d4)[1]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine steps into the spot Zephyr vacated and draws her mace, before pointing at the skeleton Havoc had already blasted Return to the grave, trouble the living no more!

Show

Toll the Dead, Wis save DC 14

(1d12)[3]
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Katherine steps into the spot Zephyr vacated and draws her mace, before pointing at the skeleton Havoc had already blasted Return to the grave, trouble the living no more!

Show

Toll the Dead, Wis save DC 14

[roll0]
    As the ringing of bells sounded throughout the passageway, the skeleton that was already rough-looking froze, and recoiled. It now looked like it was having trouble standing up, but it held on, somehow.

It is now Havok's turn
    Last edited by LoneStarCowboy; 2021-05-03 at 04:33 PM.