New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Is this intended to make the party keep fighting the skia indefinitely? 4-15 rounds before the skia comes back seems to require magical escape for the party to take a rest by before it shows up to fight them again. Especially given Sense Wound lets it track anyone injured fighting it.

I can't tell if this is the intent for a particular camping or an oversight.
    Well, it can't actually cause injuries, it just takes advantage of an opponent being injured. I wanted to make them essentially unkillable for fluff reasons and respawning seemed like a good mechanism to allow for that. It also makes the thing more of a threat; as is it's mostly creepy but non-threatening unless encountered in numbers or as a side dish for something that can injure PCs and thus exploit the skia's cravings.

Did I go overboard with that? I can try and tone it down if it feels too much.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Did I go overboard with that? I can try and tone it down if it feels too much.
    If it is intentional it's likely fine; you're building encounters with this in mind. I was mostly worried about it occurring accidentally.

3. - Top - End - #63

Nah, they are supposed to do it (do you think I should add a "How to Use" section or something?). Still, many thanks for the feedback!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think the Weeping Orb has a few small issues:

HP should be 46. 5.5 x 4 = 22 not 20.

Damage is written badly as it should be (2d4+4 plus 1d6 acid).

A medium creature usually has a movement of 30 ft. Why is this so fast? Should it be slower goin up hill and faster down hill? That would give it some extra interest.

Flatten is just a regular improved grab ability with engulf incorporated. It doesn't actually flatten any opponents. I wish this were a more interesting ability.

Why isn't Weep a special ability. I think you missed an opportunity here.

The coating of the creature should be susceptible to piercing damage and the acid would be susceptible to water (diluting the acid).

It should come from the Inner Plane-- Quasi-Elemental Plane of Acid is a good place to put it.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

1. Why does it need to come from an Inner Plane? Plenty stranger oozes are material creatures. In fact, we could localize this ooze on an Outer Plane; acidity and rolling movement are kinda common on Carceri.

2. What Quasi-Elemental Plane of Acid? Never heard about that.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I think the Weeping Orb has a few small issues:
    And indeed. Thanks for the feedback!

HP should be 46. 5.5 x 4 = 22 not 20.

Damage is written badly as it should be (2d4+4 plus 1d6 acid).
    Well, damn. I'll go fix those, thanks!

A medium creature usually has a movement of 30 ft. Why is this so fast? Should it be slower goin up hill and faster down hill? That would give it some extra interest.
    It rolls! I did consider making the speed terrain-dependent like that, but I ultimately decided against it not to clutter things up like I did with my previous ooze (which ended up both overstuffed and pretty boring). Should I do it anyway?

Flatten is just a regular improved grab ability with engulf incorporated. It doesn't actually flatten any opponents. I wish this were a more interesting ability.
    Technically, it's improved grab with a trip and a constriction ability with the serials filed off and
    Quote Originally Posted by ME!
    [s]hould it manage to grapple its opponent, it can knock the grappled opponent prone with a further succesful grapple check.
    At this point, the whole body of the orb flattens to try and cover as much of the opponent's as possible, pressing the latter against the ground
    , so the slimeball and its opponent bothe end up flat(ter than usual) in the end (especially the former). I think the thing actually flattening stuff like a road roller would be a bit cartoonish.

Why isn't Weep a special ability. I think you missed an opportunity here.
    Well, it's a descriptive term mostly. The orb is not a blob of goo as a black pudding or gray ooze is; most of the time it looks like a ball off rubbery texture – but a ball that weeps, i.e. oozes thin, acidic sludge through its pores.

The coating of the creature should be susceptible to piercing damage and the acid would be susceptible to water (diluting the acid).
    Hm. I guess you're right. I'll tweak those.

It should come from the Inner Plane-- Quasi-Elemental Plane of Acid is a good place to put it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    1. Why does it need to come from an Inner Plane? Plenty stranger oozes are material creatures. In fact, we could localize this ooze on an Outer Plane; acidity and rolling movement are kinda common on Carceri.

2. What Quasi-Elemental Plane of Acid? Never heard about that.
    I'm just as puzzled as Tzardok is on both counts. Acid is… Kind of the thing oozes do?

7. - Top - End - #67

I'm still kind of stuck on the pineapple front, but luckily, I remembered something important in the meantime: there's no such thing as "not the right time for a BIRDY" and so, a new birdy enters the fray, one with a… Suddenly very descriptive name: the

Secretary Bird
    Secretary birds are avian creatures roughly 4 to 5' in height, half of which is made up by their slender, long, cranelike legs. Their elegant necks are likewise long, with a small, round, beaked head sitting on top, backed by a cluster of long, dark feathers highly sought after as quills (much to the birds' chagrin). Their plummage is otherwise pristine white or soft grey, only darkening to black on their tails and at the tip of the flight feathers of their broad wings that double as four-fingered hands. They exude an almost otherwordly air of serenity, and their orange-skinned faces near-constantly sport an expression resembling an encouraging, polite smile.

Most idaskaris, as they often call themselves, lead regimented lives as thorough, dependable bureaucrats and aides to various dignitaries, including travelling diplomats or even clergymen. Idaskaris don't have a language of their own, except for the Jargon, a highly formalized, essentially artificial tongue for uses pertaining to the career paths most of them pursue; nevertheless, they acquire languages easily and are always fluent in at least two, usually including Common.

Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 feet, fly 30 feet (average)
    Armor Class: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
    Attack: Bite +0 melee (1d2-2)
    Full Attack: Bite +0 melee (1d2-2) and kick -5 melee (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Mighty stomp
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, organized, reminders
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 12
    Skills: Appraise +5, Decipher Script +8, Diplomacy +6, Forgery +4, Gather Information +2, Knowledge (local) +4, Listen +3, Search +6, Sense Motive +2, Speak Language, Spot +2
    Feats: Diligent, SmatteringsB
    Environment: Temperate or warm plains
    Organization: Solitary or employed (1–4 secretary birds plus an employer, possibly with other attendants)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
    Advancement: By character class Favored Class: Savant
    Level Adjustment: +1

Combat
    Secretary birds are not particularly aggressive and prefer to avoid combat if possible. While capable of using weapons, they rarely carry any and if they cannot flee, they will use their beak and talons to try and slash their way into a more advantageous position.

Mighty Stomp (Ex)
    Against a prone opponent of Medium size or smaller with a discernible anatomy, the taloned feet of an idaskari become a surprisingly potent weapon. As a full-round action, a secretary bird might stomp on such an opponent; if the attack hits, it automatically deals quadruple damage (4d4-8, minimum 1 point). Limbless creatures (such as snakes) of an appropriate size category are always considered prone for the purpose of this ability

Organized (Ex)
    Secretary birds are very tidy and they have an exceptional knack for organising items efficiently. Retrieving a stored object from a container it had packed is always a move action for an idaskari and never provokes attacks of opportunity.

Reminders (Ex)
    Secretary birds boast astute minds and a very good memory. Whenever an ally a secretary bird has spent at least a month with fails to recall a piece of information using the Knowledge skill, the idaskari can retry the check using the same modifiers to see if it remembers the information having been mentioned by the ally in question.

Skills
    Secretary birds have a +2 racial bonus on Decipher Script, Diplomacy and Search Checks. Speak Language is always a class skill for a secretary bird. These bonuses are included in the statistics above.

And that would be it. My main concern is this: is that LA in order, or should I perhaps raise it?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-13 at 10:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

There's a reason kick isn't a good attack: trip.

Mighty Stomp (Ex)
    Against a prone opponent of Medium size or smaller with a discernible anatomy, the taloned feet of an idaskari become a surprisingly potent weapon. As a full-round action, a secretary bird might stomp on such an opponent; if the attack hits, it automatically deals quadruple damage.

You should actually write out the damage (4d4-8 minimum 1) or something to that effect. Giving it a chance to do 0 damage is never that much fun.

Skills
    Secretary birds have a +2 racial bonus on Decipher Script, Diplomacy and Search Checks. Speak Language is always a class skill for a secretary bird.

Are these in the stat block or not? Should be marked with * in skills.

What are it's racial traits? That low Str is not doing it any favors. I see this as an NPC or cohort rather than as PC. The stomp doesn't improve as it gains levels making it less and less attractive.

The problem with kick is trip. It takes a -4 penalty any time it is tripped and then has to spend a round to stand up. I would make Bite it's primary attack and kick as secondary attack. Bipedal creatures aren't great kickers, that's usually reserved for quadrupeds.

My feeling is magical beasts should have something magical in abilities.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2022-11-13 at 07:34 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #69

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated! Now, to business:

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    There's a reason kick isn't a good attack: trip.
    Fair. But the birdy was never meant to be a melee powerhouse.

You should actually write out the damage (4d4-8 minimum 1) or something to that effect. Giving it a chance to do 0 damage is never that much fun.
    Oh. You're right. I'll do that.

Are these in the stat block or not? Should be marked with * in skills.
    Yes & I'll make that explicit, thanks.

What are it's racial traits? That low Str is not doing it any favors. I see this as an NPC or cohort rather than as PC.
    I'm aware, but I didn't feel like giving it cohort LA only. I mean, weirdest things are officially playable. I'm sure it can find a niche with the INT/CHA boost and the free retry on Knowledge checks. Their native skill list isn't bad per se, either, or so I think.

The stomp doesn't improve as it gains levels making it less and less attractive.
    True enough. It's mostly a nod to the actual bird's hunting strategy and in my defense, I figured that if it's built for (Improved Natural Attack, a token investment in STR to lessen the penalty and that good old three level dip in Swashbuckler to make good use of INT and reduce the impact of STR), it's really a coup-de-grace made easy with a ×4 modifier.

The problem with kick is trip. It takes a -4 penalty any time it is tripped and then has to spend a round to stand up. I would make Bite it's primary attack and kick as secondary attack. Bipedal creatures aren't great kickers, that's usually reserved for quadrupeds.
    True again, but real secretary birds have "step on stuff" as their primary hunting strategy. Of course, combat's rarely against stuff short enough for that, so yeah, I might as well reverse the order. (I think what I did here might reflect my frustration with the abrian's attack routine: that birdy has a halfway decent kick, but the primary attack is a weirdly pumped up but perfectly useless bite.)

My feeling is magical beasts should have something magical in abilities.
    Hm. I considered monstrous humanoid, but birdy's really just a secretary bird with winghands; I didn't even size 'em up! Then again, freaking unbodied are monstrous humanoids and all I need to change is HD size. You think I should do that? I trust your judgement and will do it if you say so.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-13 at 08:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Oh gosh, races based on puns are the best.

Part of the problem with mighty stomp is that, well... limpless creatures like snakes are practically never prone (they can "stand up" as a free action). Secretary birds hunt primarily snakes.
    Maybe allow the usage of mighty stomp on everything smaller than the secretary?

Regarding the creature type, a magical beast doesn't need to be magical. Having a sapient's intelligence and/or weird traits is enough. I don't think the type needs to be changed. Of course, many creature types have edge cases and overlap with other types, so simply choose the one that you feel fits best.

11. - Top - End - #71

Oh gosh, races based on puns are the best.
    Glad you like it; I have two or three others like this on my to-do list (another birdy, an unlucky rodent and a flower).

Part of the problem with mighty stomp is that, well... limpless creatures like snakes are practically never prone (they can "stand up" as a free action). Secretary birds hunt primarily snakes.
    Maybe allow the usage of mighty stomp on everything smaller than the secretary?
    Hm. You have quite the point there. Would something like "limbless creatures of an appropriate size category are always considered prone for the purpose of this ability" help with that?

Regarding the creature type, a magical beast doesn't need to be magical. Having a sapient's intelligence and/or weird traits is enough. I don't think the type needs to be changed. Of course, many creature types have edge cases and overlap with other types, so simply choose the one that you feel fits best.
    Thanks! I have been kind of torn on this, to be honest. I'll see if Debby has anything else to say, but I feel kind of comfortable leaving it as is for now.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hm. You have quite the point there. Would something like "limbless creatures of an appropriate size category are always considered prone for the purpose of this ability" help with that?
    That could help. I would maybe also make the ability easier to use; maybe a standard action, or as a free attack after tripping something, or maybe just add Improved Trip as a bonus feat.

13. - Top - End - #73

That could help.
    Done!

I would maybe also make the ability easier to use; maybe a standard action, or as a free attack after tripping something, or maybe just add Improved Trip as a bonus feat.
    Well, making it dependent on trip would probably make the ability harder to use, given that lousy STR score and in practice, it is already an easier to use coup-de-grace equivalent. I'll ponder that some more (and thanks either way), but I'm really not sure.

14. - Top - End - #74

Previously, I've hinted at three more pun-punbased critters in the works; I probably won't do the planty after all for… Reasons I will not dwell on 'round here, but the rodent is next on the agenda and this is the day the world may know to fear the

Scarecrow
    Indistinguishable from common rooks whenever they don't fancy wearing the little vests (usually in a soft grey or some garish, bright colour) they seem to be very fond of, scarecrows (or gaurons as the druids call them) are forest-dwelling fey beings with a peculiar sense of humour, mostly content with startling unsuspecting travellers.

They are well-liked by dryads and treants who keep them around as alarm systems and impromptu guards. Gaurons speak a harsh-sounding dialect of Sylvan as well as the language of treants and a heavily accented Common.

Size/Type: Tiny Fey
    Hit Dice: 1d6 (3 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 10 feet, fly 50 feet (good)
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
    Attack: Peck +2 melee (1d2-5, minimum 1)
    Full Attack: Peck +2 melee (1d2-5) or talons +2 melee (1-5, minimum 1)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Crow, scare
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, immunity to fear
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +4, Concentration +4, Gather Information +6, Hide +14, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (nature) +6, Listen +4, Search +6, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4, Survival +6
    Feats: Ability Focus (Crow), Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Temperate or cold forests
    Organization: Solitary, party (2–10) or clamour (15–120)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: Often neutral
    Advancement: By character class Favored Class: Beguiler
    Level Adjustment: +3

Combat
    At worst, scarecrows are harmless pranksters. If they have to fight despite themselves, they will use their fear abilities to immobilize or drive off foes and if neccessary, the numbers of the clamour to overwhelm already largely defenseless opponents.

Crow (Su)
    As a standard action, a gauron can crow loudly; all opponents (other than avian creatures, including scarecrows) within a 40 feet cone must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or cower for 1d2 rounds. Creatures that succesfully save against the effect become shaken instead for 1d4 rounds. Once the ability is used, the scarecrow must wait for 1d4 rounds before it can crow again. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Scare (Su)
    Once per round as a swift action, a gauron can produce an effect identical to Scare as cast by a 6th level sorcerer.

Skills
    Scarecrows have a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks and they can attempt to demoralize a foe as a move action.

There! As is (sadly) the norm with me, the LA is a tentative figure I assigned with little sensible basis and it makes the favoured class synergize very poorly with the numbers, but I just didn't want to go with something BORING like rogue. Help in fixing these issues continues to be welcome, as do comments of any sort. I might add something about a torso-slot magic item called the Fell Doublet, but I'd advise everybody not to hold the proverbial breath.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-03 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Lowered the LA.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

These remind me of some stories in German folklore about the Eurasian Jay. Maybe a variant that leans more heavily into the watchfulness?

I don't think I can help with the LA, except for saying that +4 feels like it's too high. I would propably go with +2, unless of course the single racial hit die is replaced when taking the first level. In that case +3 is better.

16. - Top - End - #76

These remind me of some stories in German folklore about the Eurasian Jay.
    I love jays! They sometimes grace our garden with visits for food, fun and to make weird jay noises.

Maybe a variant that leans more heavily into the watchfulness?
    I'm afraid I'm not familiar with German folklore regarding them, however. Colour me curious!

I don't think I can help with the LA, except for saying that +4 feels like it's too high. I would propably go with +2, unless of course the single racial hit die is replaced when taking the first level. In that case +3 is better.
    +2 feels low going by stupid WotC standards with flight, those stats and at-will specials. I'm happy to go down to +3, though. Thanks for the input!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with German folklore regarding them, however. Colour me curious!
    The Eurasian Jay (in German called Eichelhäher, which translates as acorn jay) is well known for the fact that it sits hidden on high trees and caws loudly when it notices predatory animals, humans or generally strange and unkown things moving through the forest. All animals recognize that caw and take it as a sign to hide. Because of that, the Eichelhäher has the nickname Keeper of the Forest. (He also has the nickname Tree Father because he gathers acorns and other seed as storage for winter, but often forgets where he hid them. This has interesting implecations regarding dryads, I think.) The jay also has a bright blue feather in each wing that is hidden most of the time. Folklore claims that he only shows this feather when there is no danger, a widely visible all-clear signal to the other animals. (I remember a children's christmas song where a stranger came into the forest, but the Eichelhäher shows his blue feather because he recognizes the man as Saint Nikolaus bringing presents for the animals.)
    In fables and children's stories with animal characters that take place in the forests, the jay is often depicted like an idealized guardsman or policeman: always watchful, stern but kind, and dutiful.

I just had a completely random thought: prismatic peacocks. That sounds like something you could brew.

18. - Top - End - #78

The Eurasian Jay (in German called Eichelhäher, which translates as acorn jay) is well known for the fact that it sits hidden on high trees and caws loudly when it notices predatory animals, humans or generally strange and unkown things moving through the forest. All animals recognize that caw and take it as a sign to hide. Because of that, the Eichelhäher has the nickname Keeper of the Forest. (He also has the nickname Tree Father because he gathers acorns and other seed as storage for winter, but often forgets where he hid them. This has interesting implecations regarding dryads, I think.) The jay also has a bright blue feather in each wing that is hidden most of the time. Folklore claims that he only shows this feather when there is no danger, a widely visible all-clear signal to the other animals. (I remember a children's christmas song where a stranger came into the forest, but the Eichelhäher shows his blue feather because he recognizes the man as Saint Nikolaus bringing presents for the animals.)
    In fables and children's stories with animal characters that take place in the forests, the jay is often depicted like an idealized guardsman or policeman: always watchful, stern but kind, and dutiful.

I just had a completely random thought: prismatic peacocks. That sounds like something you could brew.

Now I absolutely must do both of those. Many thanks for the ideas!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

You're always welcome.

If you want, I can try to remember more folklore regarding birds? There doesn't come a lot to mind spontaneously, but... hmm...
    I've got an interesting bit of Low German folklore regarding the tawny owl, I remember the story how the wren became king (but you may already know that; it's after all a pan-European folklore), and then there's the spin we put on the shrike.

20. - Top - End - #80

If you want, I can try to remember more folklore regarding birds?
    Pretty please?

I've got an interesting bit of Low German folklore regarding the tawny owl, I remember the story how the wren became king (but you may already know that; it's after all a pan-European folklore), and then there's the spin we put on the shrike.
    Yup, I know the one with the wren, but fun as a little bird with an eagle mount sounds, I'm not sure it lends easily to getting statted. The owl and the shrike sound very promising, on the other hand, and regardless whether I can use it or not here, BIRDY lore is not something I'll say no to.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Well, first the shrike. Folklore about the shrike with its tendency to impale prey on thorns for keeping is pretty much the same everywhere, but we put a little spin on it. Its German name, Neuntöter, means Nine-Killer, and is derived from the belief that the shrike will always kill and impale nine prey animals before eating. A veritable little serial killer with rituals on its own, that bird.

(By the way, the wren is called in German Zaunkönig or Winterkönig (fence king or winter king) as an allusion to the story.)

The tawny owl (Waldkauz in German) is in northern Germany considered a psychopomps (at best), an omen of death or a thief of souls (at worst). Its call sounds similiar to Low German "Kü witt!", which means "Come with me!" Now imagine you are waking at the bed of a sick or dying person, and you hear a voice call "Come with me!" in the dark of the night. Yeah, scary stuff.
    Edit: Incidentally, I used this once piece of folklore once in D&D myself. I wrote up a description of the divine realm of the raptorans' (y'know, those barely bird people from Races of the Wild) death god and decided to name it Küwitt and fill it with snow-white tawny owls as psychopompes.

22. - Top - End - #82

(By the way, the wren is called in German Zaunkönig or Winterkönig (fence king or winter king) as an allusion to the story.)
    Aww.

The tawny owl (Waldkauz in German) is in northern Germany considered a psychopomps (at best), an omen of death or a thief of souls (at worst). Its call sounds similiar to Low German "Kü witt!", which means "Come with me!" Now imagine you are waking at the bed of a sick or dying person, and you hear a voice call "Come with me!" in the dark of the night. Yeah, scary stuff.
    Edit: Incidentally, I used this once piece of folklore once in D&D myself. I wrote up a description of the divine realm of the raptorans' (y'know, those barely bird people from Races of the Wild) death god and decided to name it Küwitt and fill it with snow-white tawny owls as psychopompes.
    Huh. We have that one too! Our "deathbird", however, is the little owl. I'll keep these in mind.

'Till then, here's the friendly neighbourhood jay variant of the prankster crows:

Isgrekh
    Often called oakfriends in Common, isgrekhs are close relatives of the flocking gaurons, similar in size and shape (although taking after the common jay rather than the crow) alike. Nevertheless, unlike scarecrows, the brown-feathered oakfriends do not revel in mischief; rather, they are devoted and dutiful guardians of the forest-dwellers that know their cries (alerting them to peril) and the flash of the blue stripe on their wings when they flutter down to the ground or to roost on the branches of low shrubs (to signal that the danger has passed) for what they are.

While they view acorns as a cherished delicacy, dryads and oaken defenders count isgrekhs among their fast friends, for their services and for often planting what they don't need to sustain themselves, helping the forest spread and replenish itself. Other forest creatures will usually learn to likewise value them. Isgrekhs speak Sylvan, Treant and more often than not, a raspy but fluent Common as well.

Size/Type: Tiny Fey
    Hit Dice: 1d6 (3 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 10 feet, fly 50 feet (good)
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
    Attack: Peck +2 melee (1d2-5, minimum 1)
    Full Attack: Peck +2 melee (1d2-5)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Farsense, low-light vision, warning
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 16
    Skills: Balance +2, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +6, Gather Information +3, Hide +10, Knowledge (local, nature) +2, Listen +10, Search +5, Sense Motive +12, Spot +14, Survival +5
    Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Temperate or cold forests
    Organization: Solitary or nest (2–5)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Alignment: Always lawful good
    Advancement: By character class Favored Class: Spirit Shaman
    Level Adjustment: +3

Combat
    Oakfriends are ill-equipped to fight foes. When danger comes knocking, they will do their best to warn and aid their friends and wards and only use their sharp beaks as a last resort.

Farsense (Su)
    Whenever a creature other than wild animals, fey, plants and vermin enters the area within 250 feet of an isgrekh, the oakfriend receives a mental alert identical to that produced by the Alarm spell. Additionally, if the creature sensed is a humanoid or monstrous humanoid, the isgrekh may make a Sense Motive check; if succesful, the isgrekh can tell whether the trespasser has hostile intent or not.

Warning (Su)
    Once every 10 minutes, an isgrekh can emit a series of loud, screeching calls as a full-round action; all allies within a 200 feet radius are awakened if currently asleep or unconscious and become aware that a potential threat is approaching, gaining an insight bonus equal to half the isgrekh's Wisdom modifier on Hide, Listen, Sense Motive and Spot checks, as well as initiative checks for the next 2d6 rounds.

Skills
    Oakfriends have a +4 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Spot checks.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-05 at 04:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

While I figure out my next birdies, here's a quick double update. The first one's the last of the promised pun creatures; it's a pathetic ugly you have one of the official splats to blame for. You see, there's a 3.5 monster called the slasrath and its name is so confusing and bad (BAD!) that I kept misreading it as

Slashrat
    The aptly named, nocturnal slashrat is essentially a sizeable, fat, toothless dire rat, easily 7 feet long and weighing up to 140 pounds. Instead of the front paws of a rodent, however, its forelegs sport yellow-brown growths of horn the size and shape of a longsword and their thick, hairless tails end in a similar, if shorter blade.

Size/Type: Medium Aberration
    Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 feet (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 ( +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+1
    Attack: Bladeleg +2 melee (1d8-1, 19–20/×2)
    Full Attack: 2 bladelegs +2 melee (1d8-1, 19–20/×2) and tailblade -4 melee (1d6-1, 19–20/×2)
    Special Attacks: Disease, slashing
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 4, Cha 4
    Skills: Jump +5, Listen +0, Move Silently -1, Swim +0
    Feats: Improved Toughness, Weapon Focus (bladeleg)
    Environment: Warm hills and underground
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4–7 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Slashrats fight like brutes, attacking on sight and slashing madly with their blades untile they slay or are slain themselves. Strangely enough, they never consume their kills.

Disease (Ex)
    Filth fever—bladeleg and tailblade, Fortitude DC 13, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Slashing (Ex)
    The malformed appendages of a slashrat are as sharp as the swords they resemble. As such, they deal slashing damage and threaten a critical hit on a natural roll of 19 or 20.

Skills
    Due to the constant clattering of the hard blades they grow, slashrats suffer a -4 racial penalty on Move Silently checks. Slashrats may use their Dexterity modifier when making Jump checks.

NEW SPECIAL MATERIAL: Rathorn
    The shape of a slashrat's blades lends itself to use as a weapon for those of strong enough a stomach to claim these for themselves. Bladelegs can be fashioned into Medium longswords, Small greatswords, Large straightblades or Huge daggers, whereas tailblades make passable Medium straightblades, Small longswords or Large daggers.

A rathorn blade weighs half as much as one forged of ordinary steel and (unless it is cleaned regularly) it retains the ability to carry filth fever. Rathorn has a hardness of 3 and 8 hit points per inch of thickness. Swords made of rathorn cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts.

Look, I never said it's a good creature. Or a good joke, even, but here it is. Still, anyone still around and bearing with me totally deserves something more serious. Keep in mind, nevertheless, that it may be a bit too serious. And for a flower with stuff as notoriously light on fluff and especially lore as I am, I think I might have gone a bit overboard with the description here (needless to say, I'm ready to cull!). And, worst of all, the creature's shtick relies on Truenamers being a thing. So, meet (no, really; don't meet) the

Shibboleth
    The shibboleths are guardians, above all. They keep watch over fords, bridges, narrow mountain paths, fissures amidst steep hills or, sometimes, even city gates. Whom they serve, if anyone, is unknown, but they are ever vigilant. Shibboleths stand tall, 10 feet tall or 14 or taller, blocking the way, clad from head to toe in heavy robes; these rough patchworks of crudely sewn fabric are said to bear stripes and various heraldic devices on them, but they are always faded and dull in colour.

What is under the robes is impossible to tell until the shibboleth is slain, and even then, those curious must be fast to uncover the creature, for once it falls, a shibboleth, its flesh and bones, and even its robes decay fast and are all but gone within the minute. That is, perhaps, for the better: the shibboleth is not a pleasant sight to behold. Its head, sitting on a squat neck, would be almost spherical but for the rough wedge of bones protruding from the bottom, and most of it is covered in macabre ridges of cartilage, a hundred strange earlobes fused together with a hundred earholes sinking into the skull beneath. High up on the forehead, two minuscule eyes like dirty red pearls sit at the bottom of deep, conical wells. The wedge below the sphere, likewise covered in thick cartilage and thin, brown-grey skin is not truly a set of jaws, though it can open up almost like one to reveal a spongy labyrinth of protrusions sound can barely seep through when the creature speaks. Its thick torso, supported by three legs with four flat toes on each, seems nothing more than erratic bundles of sinew and muscle twisted together (wherever it's not covered in the same undulant crust that coats the skull and spreads down over the chest, upper back and arms – sometimes even the sides) and its double-jointed arms end in wide, seven-fingered but thumbless hands with claws like daggers.

Shibboleths seem to know any and all languages well enough to deliver their True Demand, understand and evaluate the answers, but otherwise, they never speak.

Size/Type: Large Aberration
    Hit Dice: 8d8+32 (68 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 40 feet (4 squares), swim 40 feet
    Armor Class: 19 ( -1 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14
    Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d8+6, ×3) or brand +9 melee touch (special)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d8+4, ×3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Brand, throttling rend 2d8+6
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/slashing, immunity to sleep, enchantment spells and effects, SR 19
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 13
    Skills: Climb +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (nature) +5, Listen +14, Swim +12, Truespeak +18
    Feats: Ability Focus (Brand), Blind-Fight, Improved InitiativeB, Skill Focus (Truespeak)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 9–13 HD (Large), 14–18 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Shibboleths are fierce combatants. They throw themselves into the fight fearlessly, with a single-minded zeal, trying to brand, silence and, preferably, kill as many opponents as they are able. They will pursue fleeing opponents for as long as they can.

Brand (Su)
    A shibboleth can make a special touch attack against an opponent it previously damaged in combat. The opponent must make a DC 17 Will save or receive a brand, a strange ideogram, usually on the skin of the forehead or the neck. This brand imposes a -4 penalty on all Charisma-based checks made by the branded creature until such time as the creature receives a Remove Curse spell or similar effect. The shibboleth gains a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against any opponent it branded. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Throttling Rend (Ex)

Shibboleths aim for the throat when fighting. If a shibboleth hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d8+6 points of damage and the opponent must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or begin to suffocate. On a succesful save, the opponent becomes unable to talk intelligibly until recieving at least 4 points of magical healing. The save DC is Strength-based.

True Demand (Su)
    Upon being encountered by a sapient creature it has never met previously, the shibboleth demands that the creature speak the truename of a race or animal common in the area. Creatures that fail the Truespeak check or refuse to make one are immediately attacked and the shibboleth receives a +2 circumstance penalty to its AC and saves against any such opponent for the duration of the encounter. If the shibboleth is encountered by a group, it will patiently wait until all members of the group make their attempt at the check or refuse to do so before attacking. It ignores creatures that succeed the check, unless and until it is attacked by these.

Skills
    Shibboleths receive a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate, Listen and Truespeak checks. Shibboleths have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. They can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-29 at 02:10 PM. Reason: …and I forgot to CR the shibboleth.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

These shibboleth are appropriately weird, and the alternate magic systems can always use more support, so thank you for that. I just wonder how something like this came to be. Did some truenaming villain want some guardian creature? Did a god die and speak them into existence with his last breath? Are they from some alternate reality? Questions over questions.

25. - Top - End - #85

These shibboleth are appropriately weird, and the alternate magic systems can always use more support, so thank you for that.
    I really din't expect the Truespeak checks will be a selling point!

I just wonder how something like this came to be. Did some truenaming villain want some guardian creature? Did a god die and speak them into existence with his last breath? Are they from some alternate reality? Questions over questions.
    Honestly, I haven't the vaguest idea. I almost included an alleged manner of reproduction which amounts to "it is said that shibboleths dissolve into nothing upon death for their essence must escape: for a shibboleth to emerge, another must be unraveled" but I was afraid I'm getting too verbose there; the idea was that they might be the warped embodiments of some notion of purity, and as ideas made flesh, they operate slightly outside physical causality.

Association with the final words or thoughts of a divine being (generally a creature powered by notions and ideas in D&D lore) kind of fits that as a possible root cause for the existence of these beings (i.e., interesting and quite serendipitous idea!). I could even see something like that being the academic consensus regarding these, but I also kind of feel like they are best left somewhat poorly understood.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I really din't expect the Truespeak checks will be a selling point!
    Hey, there are fixes for truenaming around. This thing can easily work with those (well, unless the "fix" removes the skill and the skill based casting, in which case screw them!)

As I said, more support for alternate magic systems is pretty much always good in my book.

27. - Top - End - #87

(well, unless the "fix" removes the skill and the skill based casting, in which case screw them!)
    Right? The idea itself is kind of nifty, or, at any rate, it would be, if it didn't punish the player for getting "better" at truenaming.

28. - Top - End - #88

And before I'd forget! I can proudly announce that I've mostly finished those yesterday and added the last touches just now. I ended up calling them peafowls, because an all-male species would have been weird and a no-train version would kind of defeat the concept (I know, I know, the lizard-feminists must be so proud of me!). So,

Prismatic Peafowl
    The prismatic peafowl is a sizeable, avian resident of various positive-dominant planes, taking after its namesake, or, more specifically, the peacock. Its entire plummage, crest and train included is a lustrous, iridescent white, with intricate patterns woven from a myriad shifting colours dancing on them as the creature moves. The eyespots are usually metallic in hue, ringed by colourful circles.

Friendly, curious and unfailingly polite, prismatic peafowls speak Common, Celestial and a language of their own known as Krisste.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider [Extraplanar, Good]
    Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 20 feet (6 squares), fly 40 feet (average)
    Armor Class: 22 (+5 Dex, +5 deflection, +2 natural), touch 20, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
    Attack: Peck +8 melee (1d4+2)
    Full Attack: Peck +8 melee (1d4+2) and 2 talons +6 melee (1d2+1)
    Special Attacks: Prismatic train
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., outsider traits, prismatic haze, regeneration 2
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Skills: Balance +14, Decipher Script +12, Diplomacy +14, Heal +12, Intimidate +14, Jump +11, Knowledge (the planes) +12, Listen +14, Search +12, Sense Motive +12, Spot +14
    Feats: Alertness, Improved ToughnessB, Iron Will, Multiattack
    Environment: Any positive-dominant plane
    Organization: Solitary or muster (4–6)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Alignment: Always neutral good
    Advancement: 7–11 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Prismatic peafowls are squeamish beings; the very thought of violence makes them nervous. If they (or their allies) are threatened, they will use their Prismatic Train ability to try and disable as many foes at once as possible to enable a hasty retreat.

Prismatic Haze (Su)
    Prismatic peafowls are constantly surrounded by a shimmering, thin, colourful mist. Attacks by any creature that uses its eyes to determine the position of the peafowl suffer a 20% miss chance and the peafowl can add its Charisma modifier as a deflection bonus to AC.

Prismatic Train (Su)
    Prismatic peafowls rarely display their ornate train feathers fully, but when they spread the whole fan out, it is a spectacular sight: a veritable explosion of light, gleaming in seven colours. This effect fills a 60 feet cone and produces various effects, based on the colour of the light an affected creature is exposed to (see table). Once this ability has been used, the peafowl must wait for 1d6 rounds before it can be used again. All save DCs are Charisma-based.

1d8 Colour of Light Effect
    1 Red 2d6 nonlethal fire damage plus fatigue (as heatstroke; Fort negates fatigue)
    2 Orange Sickened for 1d6 rounds as acid wells up in the stomach (Fort halves duration)
    3 Yellow Stunned for 1d4 rounds as if charge has built up in the muscles (Fort halves duration)
    4 Green Unconsciousness (Fort partial: Staggered for 1d4 rounds instead)
    5 Blue Paralyzed as if by Hold Monster (CL 9; Will negates)
    6 Indigo Confused as if by Confusion (CL 7; Will negates)
    7 Violet Transferred into a Maze (as the spell, but Will negates)
    8 N/A Affected by two colours; roll twice more, ignoring any results of 8

Regeneration (Ex)
    Negative energy deals normal damage to a prismatic peafowl. If a prismatic peafowl loses a body part, it regrows in 2d4 minutes.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-16 at 01:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Huh. Interesting spin on the typical prismatic abilities. Very nice and non-lethal.

Also, today I learned that peacock is not the name of the species.

30. - Top - End - #90

Huh. Interesting spin on the typical prismatic abilities. Very nice and non-lethal.
    Thank you! I just kind of felt like a NG outsider of the Positive and its cousins (which I envisioned this birdy as) shouldn't have killing people with death as part of its repertoire.

Also, today I learned that peacock is not the name of the species.
    Eh, that's an easy mistake to make. I mean, there are languages in which guineafowls are called 'pearlhens', regardless of sex.