New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Unmoved (Su)
    Any magical effect that would physically move the vizemut towards its source automatically fails.
    I see what you meant before. Luckily, there are two different ways to deal with it: One is making Consume Space an Extraordinary Ability (hey, if the umbral blot can make non-magical holes into the fabric of reality to teleport, I can make creatures that non-magically devour space-time); the other is simply going that Consume Space doesn't move the vizemut, it just removes the distance between them.

Next on the agenda's either some Fey or (finally) a new Deathless, depending on what I get around to finalizing first.
    I'm eager to see what you have to offer in the later case.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I see what you meant before. Luckily, there are two different ways to deal with it: One is making Consume Space an Extraordinary Ability (hey, if the umbral blot can make non-magical holes into the fabric of reality to teleport, I can make creatures that non-magically devour space-time);
    That makes no sense! Which makes it a perfect fit for an ABOMINATION!

the other is simply going that Consume Space doesn't move the vizemut, it just removes the distance between them.
    Ah, now I see that you do play the game too!

I'm eager to see what you have to offer in the later case.
    Prepare to be disappointed! But I'll do flag it for express delivery, then.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Vizemut
    Nice, a Bismuth elemental ! I like the reference to Bismuth's negative thermal expansion, but I'm not sure about Unmoved. Every time I've watched anything on Bismuth, it didn't stick to any container, and could be moved easily.

Muriyeb
    Is that Bromine ? Nice reference to it being initially found by separating from water.

Next on the agenda's either some Fey or (finally) a new Deathless, depending on what I get around to finalizing first.
    YES ! More Deathless !
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Nice, a Bismuth elemental ! I like the reference to Bismuth's negative thermal expansion,
    Thanks!

but I'm not sure about Unmoved. Every time I've watched anything on Bismuth, it didn't stick to any container, and could be moved easily.
    That's not about being sticky. That's about being one of the most strongly diamagnetic elements in existence. I just didn't want to overcomplicate it through random movements to the opposite direction.

Is that Bromine ?
    Yes!

Nice reference to it being initially found by separating from water.
    Why, thank you! That's where the name comes from, even! It is a corrupted derivative of muriebus ('in/from the saltwaters' < Lat. muries, 'brine'), with half the case morpheme mistaken for a nominative gender marker and dropped.

YES ! More Deathless !
    Okay, that seals it. Early release time!

False Wight
    False wights are dead and not dead, at the same time. They show clear signs of decay – and clear signs that some strange power is fighting this same decay, arresting its spread. They come to be when a humanoid dies a sudden, untimely death, so sudden that some intangible conduit to the Positive is never quite broken, and a new vigour flows into the fallen body through it, alongside a new purpose.

Alethough a false wight retains a vague recollection of its past self, it is driven by this new imperative: to help keep the mortal world clean of the taint of undeath. Ususally, it strives towards this end in quite roundabout ways, letting the positive energy that gave it a new life pour out and over into the truly dead, creating a mindless masquerade of false undead, to make the living wary and anger them, if possible.

False wights speak Common.

Size/Type: Medium Deathless
    Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
    Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4+1 plus energy charge)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +3 melee (1d4+1 plus energy charge)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Animate bodies, energy charge
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., deathless traits, fast healing 4
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con –, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 15
    Skills: Hide +10, Listen +10, Move Silently +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Alertness, Stealthy
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary or with animated objects (1–8)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
    Advancement: 5–8 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    False wights are elusive and let any neccessary fighting be carried out by the animated bodies that tend to mill about its close proximity. Sometimes it will pretend to be an oddly resilient zombie, nevertheless, and fight as such until it can safely disappear in the chaos of combat.

Animate Bodies (Su)
    Once per 1d8 rounds as a full-round action, a false wight can use its connection to the Plane of Positive Energy to infuse the corpse of a Small or Medium Humanoid with a semblence of life, turning it into an animated object of the appropriate size. The animated onjects so created are not under the flse wight's direct control, but they never attack, harm or actively hinder it either and it can sever their link to the Positive, restoring them to death with another full-round action.

Energy Charge (Su)
    Living creatures and deathless hit by a false wight's slam attack gain one positive level. It bestows one negative level on undead; an undead character with negative levels at
    least equal to its current level is instantly destroyed. Both effects can be negated by a DC 14 Fortitude save. The save DC is Charisma-based.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-01-27 at 03:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's an interesting way for a Deathless to arise. I can see the positive energy empowering the bacteria and fungi responsible for decay as well, to the point that the "healthy" portions of the body shift around, then immediately decay again, like a macabre Rorschach mask.

I was about to question the use of Animated Object as the result of positive energy animation, but then I remembered that Ravids exist. How long does Animate Bodies last? Does it depend on the size of the body? One thing that could be interesting for people who want to play a False Wight (yes, I'm projecting a bit) would be that the FW has to divert a bit of its own positive conduit to the corpse, thus reducing its Fast Healing by 1 for a Medium corpse, 2 for a Large corpse, and 4 for Huge, giving an inherent limit to the number of animated corpse, and avoiding a CR 3 creature shambling around with three CR 5 Storm Giant corpses. Also, is there a reference with that 1d8 rounds cooldown? Why not 1/minute?

It's a great monster (though maybe I'm a bit biased. I like Deathless.), but I was expecting something aimed at beating Undead, for a creature that helps to "keep the mortal world clean of the taint of undeath". What happens if it tries to Animate Body on an Undead? Maybe something like a targeted Turn attempt?
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-01-26 at 05:42 PM.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #246

That's an interesting way for a Deathless to arise. I can see the positive energy empowering the bacteria and fungi responsible for decay as well, to the point that the "healthy" portions of the body shift around, then immediately decay again, like a macabre Rorschach mask.
    That's quite the image! I might snatch and work a version of it into the description if you don't mind (a version without refernece to bacteria and a gentleman called Rorschach, naturally).

I was about to question the use of Animated Object as the result of positive energy animation, but then I remembered that Ravids exist. How long does Animate Bodies last? Does it depend on the size of the body? One thing that could be interesting for people who want to play a False Wight (yes, I'm projecting a bit) would be that the FW has to divert a bit of its own positive conduit to the corpse, thus reducing its Fast Healing by 1 for a Medium corpse, 2 for a Large corpse, and 4 for Huge, giving an inherent limit to the number of animated corpse, and avoiding a CR 3 creature shambling around with three CR 5 Storm Giant corpses.
    It only works on Small and Medium bodies, for Sanity Reasons.

Also, is there a reference with that 1d8 rounds cooldown? Why not 1/minute?
    Four is Death, but 1d4 seemed too short.

It's a great monster (though maybe I'm a bit biased. I like Deathless.),
    Glad you like it!

but I was expecting something aimed at beating Undead, for a creature that helps to "keep the mortal world clean of the taint of undeath". What happens if it tries to Animate Body on an Undead? Maybe something like a targeted Turn attempt?
    Dropping another hyperfocused predator felt too early after the Zhaak, and I wanted to channel some Wight apocalypse energy with uncapped spawning of positive-powered not-Undead. That said, I did consider mirroring Energy Drain too. Maybe I could borrow Tzardok's idea of "negative levels for Undead", but make it exclusive to Undead and call it Energy Overflow or something. Once the Undead lost all HD, it's eligible for being animated as a corpse if corporeal, perhaps? Would that feel right?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

IIRC that concept already exists, in the form of a fun little ability appearing in the glossar of MM3 and nowhere else called Energy Charge. Gives positive levels to the living, negative to the undead. Should maybe use it some time myself.

8. - Top - End - #248

IIRC that concept already exists, in the form of a fun little ability appearing in the glossar of MM3 and nowhere else called Energy Charge. Gives positive levels to the living, negative to the undead. Should maybe use it some time myself.
    And that's what I get for skipping past the BORING parts of books! That makes it a no-brainer; it's going in there, thanks.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zhaak

Foehammer (Ex): Their specialized training enables the zhaak to use the foehammer martial maneuver as a crusader of a level equal to the zhaak's number of hit dice.
    I still don't know exactly what foehammer is or what it does from what you have.

Also the maul does x3 not the foe hammer. The foehammer is missing its damage. It only allows you to overcome a foe's DR and adds +2d6 damage to a single target. Plus it is only 2nd level so the creature's HD don't even matter as it has more than 2. It's not like the damage goes up because the HD go up.

The Maul is Large.

Attack: Large Maul +9 melee (2d8+9/x3 plus 2d6 [Foehammer])
    Full Attack: Large Maul +9 melee (2d8+9/x3 plus 2d6 [Foehammer])

The problem is that if he hits first, he's likely to kill a member of a 3rd level party but he doesn't have any way to defend from a party that hits from range. I find this to be a bit of glass canon sort of monster so I wouldn't recommend using it. A 3rd level fighter with max hit points 10 per HD and Constitution 18 still only has 30 hit points. This thing can hit it for 48 on a critical hit even without foehammer. Even with just basic average damage it hits for 24 points. (4.5 + 4.5 +9 plus 3.5 +3.5)

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2024-01-30 at 04:07 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Why should the description include what foehammer does? A list of spell-like abilities doesn't spell out the exact effects of each spell either; it just names them and lets you look them up on your own time.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Why should the description include what foehammer does? A list of spell-like abilities doesn't spell out the exact effects of each spell either; it just names them and lets you look them up on your own time.
    Damage should always be included if it happens every time. No DM wants to waste time looking up stuff unnecessarily and Tome of Battle isn't a primary source for most DMs. I hate having to look up stuff that should be there especially if it isn't easily found in the SRD online. This is why I hate giving monsters class abilities. It detracts from PC classes and makes it difficult for DMs who just want to run monsters in easy ways. I get that sometimes it makes sense, but in this case it just way overpowers the creature for CR 3.

It's fine if you don't want to change it but at least mention non-core source material. 3.5 is old enough without someone trying to figure out what foehammer actually does (which isn't much really other than bypassing damage reduction and adding +2d6 damage).

Hippotaur sounds like a hippopotamus centaur. There is a name for cow-headed horse (basically a horse-cow hybrid), it's called a jumart.

I'm going to change it to jumart because now I want a hippo-centaur. for an Egyptian- themed game I'm running. Giff are too human-like. I want a four-legged hippo body with human torso so 6 appendages (4 legs and 2 arms). Might have to stat that up myself....

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2024-01-30 at 05:45 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I still don't know exactly what foehammer is or what it does from what you have.

Also the maul does x3 not the foe hammer. The foehammer is missing its damage. It only allows you to overcome a foe's DR and adds +2d6 damage to a single target. Plus it is only 2nd level so the creature's HD don't even matter as it has more than 2. It's not like the damage goes up because the HD go up.
    Ah, right. I keep forgetting what and what isn't multiplied with crits. The "as a Crusader &c." is mostly about recovery method and the like, on the other hand.

The Maul is Large.

Attack: Large Maul +9 melee (2d8+9/x3 plus 2d6 [Foehammer])
    Full Attack: Large Maul +9 melee (2d8+9/x3 plus 2d6 [Foehammer])
    Weapon size is not usually noted, not in the SRD anyhow. I like that formatting, though, thanks!

The problem is that if he hits first, he's likely to kill a member of a 3rd level party but he doesn't have any way to defend from a party that hits from range. I find this to be a bit of glass canon sort of monster so I wouldn't recommend using it. A 3rd level fighter with max hit points 10 per HD and Constitution 18 still only has 30 hit points. This thing can hit it for 48 on a critical hit even without foehammer. Even with just basic average damage it hits for 24 points. (4.5 + 4.5 +9 plus 3.5 +3.5)

Debby
    Noted, but I mostly made it to be a Golem-killer. I like niche things, even when they are stupid.

My reasoning exactly, yeah.

It's fine if you don't want to change it but at least mention non-core source material. 3.5 is old enough
    Only system I regularly play. Most users are either not casuals or don't use wild sources like homebrew anyhow.

Hippotaur sounds like a hippopotamus centaur.
    Debby! That's the whole point of doing this dumb thing! I hate people misusing -taur (< Gr. ταυρος, 'bull') as though it meant -centaur (< Gr. κενταυρος, 'half animal thing with a human torso'). Also, hippo- simply means 'horse'. In hippocentaur (as opposed to ichthyocentaur and onocentaur) and hippopotamus ('river horse') alike. I WILL NOT CATER TO THE EROORS OF THE ANGLOPHONES!!

There is a name for cow-headed horse (basically a horse-cow hybrid), it's called a jumart.
    Huh. I didn't know that. Thanks!

I'm going to change it to jumart because now I want a hippo-centaur
    Again, that's just the full name of the regular Centaur.

. for an Egyptian- themed game I'm running. Giff are too human-like. I want a four-legged hippo body with human torso so 6 appendages (4 legs and 2 arms). Might have to stat that up myself....

Debby
    Good thinking, other than that!

13. - Top - End - #253

And this would be the thing I postponed for the False Wight: fair folk, as I like them, which is to say creepy and not your friends. Now,

Dvorovoi
    Hunched beings, dragging their long, dagger-sharp claws on the ground, covered in grainy, brown-gray, hairless skin, only broken by three apertures, two almost immeasurably tiny eyes, never blinking, and a wide mouth of many teeth, dvorovoi hail from among the fair folk. They attach themselves to settled places as domovoi attach themselves to homes, but allegedly related to latter as they may be, they are hardly benign. They can be appeased, warded off or even pleased, but they are capricious and claim dominion over their chosen haunt – reserving the right for themselves to decide who can and cannot share it with them.

Dvorovoi speak Common and Sylvan, but are loathe to use the former.

Size/Type: Small Fey
    Hit Dice: 4d6+8 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20 feet (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 18 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
    Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d8+2)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d8+2) and bite +1 melee (1d4+1)
    Special Attacks: Fear
    Special Qualities: Aversion, low-light vision, yardwalker
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 17
    Skills: Climb +8, Hide +14, Intimidate +8, Listen +7, Knowledge (local) +5, Move Silently +11, Search +5, Spot +7
    Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    The dvorovoi tend to emerge from the ground or a wall to surprise opponents. Sometimes they are content with scaring off others, using their skill at intimidation and their screech; often enough, however, they choose to draw blood or even kill before retreating. They cannot suffer animals with white fur in particular and will messily slaughter these if they find them unattended.

Aversion (Ex)
    For reasons unknown, the dvorovoi avoid birds, and especially poultry at all costs. A dvorovoi will not willingly get within 5 feet of a square with a bird in it, and takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and saves if forced to do so.

Fear (Su)
    Once per round as a standard action, a dvorovoi can frighten foes with a barelt audible, high-pitched screech. The effect is identical to a fear spell as cast by an 8th level sorcerer, with a DC of 15. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Yardwalker (Su)
    A dvorovoi that spent at least 24 hours in the courtyard of a house establishes a bond with this space. Thereafter, it can freely enter the ground and walls or pass through fences at-will, without being slowed oe blinded. A particular dvorovoi can only be bonded to one courtyard at once.

…and then once more, with LITTLE BLUE FLOWERS:

Cornflower Wraith
    Cornflower wraiths or khabernitzas number among the fair folk of the meadows, and are among the few that are more commonly encountered where the land sees use than in wilderness areas. Skinny, and almost gaunt even, they have feminine forms draped in loose blue robes, with pale skin and long, white hair, dry as hay. Little blue flowers sprout from their scalp, mingling with their unruly mane. Their eyes, rarely opened fully, are all blue with pinpoint pupils that do not change with the changing light.

They are the most active around the noon, when the sun is high and the sky free of clouds. Commonly understood to be spirits of the land, protecting it in their own peculiar way, they rarely bother those that work the fields – unless the rules they enforce are breached.

Although they commonly show signs of understanding certain languages, usually including Sylvan, cornflower wraiths do not normally speak.

Size/Type: Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 5d6-5 (12 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
    Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d2-2, minimum 1) or touch +4 melee touch (apraxia)
    Full Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d2-2, minimum 1) or touch +4 melee touch (apraxia)
    Special Attacks: Apraxia, sopor
    Special Qualities: DR 5/cold iron and slashing, invisibility, low-light vision, vulnerability to cold
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 8, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Skills: Hide +12, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (nature) +8, Move Silently +12, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Imroved Initiative, Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Temperate plains
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Khabernitzas rarely show themselves or take particular interest in other creatures. However, people that destroy crops or pick flowers appear to draw their ire. If such beings aren't present in numbers too great for the wraith to handle, it will close with them, attemting to put them to a sleep and place its curse upon any and all offenders. It targets opponents carrying or wielding cutting implements and slashing weapons in preference to others.

Apraxia (Su)
    A cornflower wraith can make a special melee touch attack against a sleeping, unconscious or otherwise incapacitated foe. Such an opponent must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be paralyzed. Upon a success, a -4 penalty to all Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, Craft, Disable Device and attacks made with manufactured weapons is sufferd instead. The victim receives a new save every 1d2 days; a break enchantment, remove curse or similar spell, respectively effect can likewise undo this condition. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Invisibility (Sp)
    At-will, khabernitzas can turn themselves invisible, as though they cast the spell of the same name as a 5th level sorcerer.

Sopor (Su)
    Once per round as a standard action, a cornflower wraith can produce a curious, whistling, hissing sound. All creatures that can hear the sound within 40 feet of the khabernitza must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or fall asleep for 1d4 minutes. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-02-20 at 05:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And this would be the thing I postponed for the False Wight: fair folk, as I like them, which is to say creepy and not your friends.
    Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.

Dvorovoi
    Aversion (Ex)
    For reasons unknown, the dvorovoi avoid birds, and especially poultry at all costs. A dvorovoi will not willingly get within 5 feet of a square with a bird in it, and takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and saves if forced to do so.
    Yeah, birds are terrifying. I can't fathom anyone liking them.

Cornflower Wraith
    Their eyes, rarely opened fully, are all blue with pinpoint pupils that do not change with the changing light.
    Pretty beautiful eyes. Are they inspired by something in particular, except cornflowers (which are not the flower of corn, sadly).

Apraxia (Su)
    A cornflower wraith can make a special melee touch attack against a sleeping, unconscious or otherwise incapacitated foe. Such an opponent must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or suffer a -4 penalty to all Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, Craft, Disable Device and attacks made with manufactured levels.
    Hmm... I want to harm this sleeping person. Whatever shall I do. If only the rules allowed me to do something to them that would instantly and permanently prevent them from harming me... I know, I will slightly reduce their dexterity! Also, "manufactured levels".

Sopor (Su)
    Once per round as a standard action, a cornflower wraith can produce a curious, whistling, hissing sound. All creatures that can hear the sound within 40 feet of the khabernitza must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or fall asleep for 1d4 minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based.
    The ability is fine. But please, for the love of everything, add "This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect" at the end. I don't ask for much.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-02-14 at 05:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.
    Case in point!

Yeah, birds are terrifying. I can't fathom anyone liking them.
    You just activated my Frenzy ability. Sadly, it only grants STR and CON, without a boost to speed, but KNOW THAT I'M COMING!!

Pretty beautiful eyes. Are they inspired by something in particular, except cornflowers (which are not the flower of corn, sadly).
    The Habernitsa is a grumpy aggressive fairy in Slavis, particularly Polish folklore, yes. (Also, no badmouthing cornflowers. They are blue and pretty.)

Hmm... I want to harm this sleeping person. Whatever shall I do. If only the rules allowed me to do something to them that would instantly and permanently prevent them from harming me... I know, I will slightly reduce their dexterity! Also, "manufactured levels".
    But it doesn't want to cure cancer kill them! It wants to turn people into dinosaurs induce numbness and unpleasantry! But yeah. Would it help if it did paralysis on a failed save and this on a success? (Nice catch with manufactured levels either way.)

The ability is fine. But please, for the love of everything, add "This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect" at the end. I don't ask for much.

Yes, that's, um, that's something I could do, thanks.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

My only objection to Cornflower Wraiths is the name. Wraith to me will always be an undead creature. Maybe you play on their other names (bluebottle, bluecap, blue blob, blue bonnet, cornbottle, boutonierre flower, hurtsickle, and gogglebuster) or even its latin name Centaurea cyanus. I kinda like calling them bluecaps as this distinguishes them from redcaps, which is already a monster in 3.5.

I'd just let them speak Common and Sylvan rather than not being able to speak. There doesn't seem a reason for this.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2024-02-15 at 04:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

My only objection to Cornflower Wraiths is the name. Wraith to me will always be an undead creature. Maybe you play on their other names (bluebottle, bluecap, blue blob, blue bonnet, cornbottle, boutonierre flower, hurtsickle, and gogglebuster) or even its latin name Centaurea cyanus.
    Is it really bad? I found this is an actual English name for the Slavic original and felt like it sounds badass. I also kinda like misleading names, as long as they kinda fit in some way.

I kinda like calling them bluecaps as this distinguishes them from redcaps, which is already a monster in 3.5.
    Aren't bluecaps a kind of mine-dwelling gnome with firey heads or something?

I'd just let them speak Common and Sylvan rather than not being able to speak. There doesn't seem a reason for this.
    My reasoning was that their folkloric original doesn't really speak as such, and it meshes well with how they cannot be reasoned with. One either behaves and doesn't work at noon/step on flowers or they'll come wreak havoc. It's nonsensical and alien and I like that.

As always, thanks for the input, nevertheless!

18. - Top - End - #258

Dropping in to drop something stipidly simple, simply stupid and named all too much as though it were related to the Manticore when it really isn't (I didn't even make this one up!), the

Centicore
    Built like a broad-bodied antelope or an overlarge chamois, the centicore is a sturdy beast roaming over and grazing upon the arid lowlands that fring desert areas. Though their sunbleached, short, coarse fur matting into a pattern of rounded tufts on their flanks, back and neck are distinctive enough on their own, the easiest way to tell these beings from common herd animals is observing their heads: their lower jaws sport straight, menacing tusks like those of a boar and their long, gently curved horns are oddly mobile, moving up and down in shallow groves in the creatures' skull and sometimes turning, as thoug on a swivel.

Centicores understand Sylvan but cannot speak.

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 7d10+14 (34 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 feet (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+15
    Attack: Gore +5 melee (2d4+6)
    Full Attack: Gore +5 melee (2d4+6) or see text
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: High horns
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, low horns, scent
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 11
    Skills: Intimidate +8, Listen +4, Spot +4
    Feats: Alertness, Heat EnduranceB, Iron Will, Power Attack
    Environment: Warm plains
    Organization: Solitary or herd (8–48)
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: 8–14 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Centicores are proud beings and the easiet way to make them aggressive is to wound that pride, most often by way of treating them as dumb beasts. Though not particularly bright, centicores possess a rudimentary cunning that enables them to use the flexible nature of their offense and defenses, as well as their numbers with a surprising efficacy.

High Horns (Ex)
    Once per round as a swift action, a centicore can make its horns jut forward from the crown of its head. So long as the horns are kept in this position, the centicore can, in addition to its gore attack, make twio horn attacks as part of a full-round action, using its full base attack bonus for each natural attack as though it possessed the Improved Multiattack feat. These horn attacks deal 1d6 points of damage plus half the centicore's Strength modifier and deal double damage when a critical hit is scored.

Low Horns (Ex)
    Once per round as an immediate action, a centicore adjust the position of its horns so that they curve backwards, hanging low along its neck and body. Until such time as the horns are raised, the centicore receives a +2 shield bonus to its armour class. Further, its horns can benefit from magical enhancement bonuses as a shield, but these bonuses only apply when the horns are lowered.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Cornflower Wraith
    Cornflower wraiths or khabernitzas number among the fair folk of the meadows, and are among the few that are more commonly encountered where the land sees use than in wilderness areas. Skinny, and almost gaunt even, they have feminine forms draped in loose blue robes, with pale skin and long, white hair, dry as hay. Little blue flowers sprout from their scalp, mingling with their unruly mane. Their eyes, rarely opened fully, are all blue with pinpoint pupils that do not change with the changing light.
    I'm not familiar with this particular variant, but slavic spirit ladies can usually speak. Its harder to creep people out or threaten them if you can't.

The other relevant thing is that fey tied to inhabited areas (including fields of crops) should really have some way to either turn invisible or become incorporeal. The incorporeal subtype would also probably serve as an in-universe explanation of why khabernitzas would get associated with wraiths.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I'm not familiar with this particular variant, but slavic spirit ladies can usually speak. Its harder to creep people out or threaten them if you can't.
    Alright, alright! You guys win. I'll add a "normally" there, so that it's not a can't but a won't.

The other relevant thing is that fey tied to inhabited areas (including fields of crops) should really have some way to either turn invisible or become incorporeal. The incorporeal subtype would also probably serve as an in-universe explanation of why khabernitzas would get associated with wraiths.
    That's very fair, actually. I considered giving them something like my Leimoniad's meld-into-ground thing originally, but I didn't want to go repetitive on that front. Will slot in an Invisibility SLA (while your reasoning is certainly sound, I'd prefer to keep them corporeal).

21. - Top - End - #261

I've little to show for this week otherwise, but the little tour of the periodic table that's been going 'round her continues with the

Autargyr
    Tall and thin, autargyrs appear as tightly braided coils of metallic wire with a nobly soft, light gray hue. When they fold their long arms around themselves and stand still (for they can and will stand very still), they are almost like slender columns, faintly glistening if light falls upon them. They have no visible eyes or mouth; their voice seeps out between the bundles of silvery strands as an even breeze.

Measured and methodical, autragyrs take a keen interest in the workings of mortal bodies and those of the skies, particularly lightning. Sometimes they heal, sometimes they harm, but mostly, they do neither for its own sake, but, rather, driven by a cold, equanimous scholarly curiosity.

Autargyrs speak an elegant, simple Terran. Some learn Common or Undercommon as well.

Size/Type: Large Elemental [Earth]
    Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (33 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
    Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d8+5)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +8 melee (1d8+5)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Conduct
    Special Qualities: Cleanse wounds, darkvision 60 ft., detect poison, elemental traits, resistence to electricity 20
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Skills: Climb +5, Heal +11, Knowledge (nature) +5, Spot +5
    Feats: Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (slam)
    Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
    Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
    Advancement: 7–11 HD (Large), 12–18 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Autargyrs frown at violent combat, which they view as the brutish recourse of the impulsive and foolhardy. They will fight, on occasion, but only to keep others from interfering with their experiments or to otherwise protect an investment, such as a willing subject thereof – unless fighting is in itself part of the research they conduct: they are known to provoke blue dragons, shamblers or shocker lizards from time to time, for instance. At any rate, they are wise enough to know when to retreat, or even surrender.

An autargyr's natural attacks and unarmed strikes bypass damage reduction as though they were silvered.

Cleanse Wounds (Ex)
    As a full-round action, an autargyr can touch a living creature affected by a natural disease contracted through contact or wounds. If the autargyr succeeds on a Heal check (its DC equal to the save DC of the disease in question), the subject does not take damage of any srt from the disease that day and receives a +2 alchemical bonus on its next save.

Conduct (Ex)
    In addition to being highly resistent to electricity, autargyrs are capable of letting it flow harmlessly through their metallic bodies – and into those of their enemies. Any time an autargyr would take electricity damage of any sort, it can, as an immediate action, lash out with a long, thin tendril and make a touch attack against a single opponent within 15 feet. If it hits, the touched creature is affected in its stead, and the autargyr remains completely unharmed. Further, any opponent grappling or grappled by an autargyr likewise receives all electricity damage the autargyr would otherwise suffer. Such damage is transferred before the autargyr's resistence would apply and lessen it. If the effect allows a save, these secondary targets can attempt to mitigate or negate it as normal; this ability does not alter the original save DC.

Detect Poison (Sp)
    At-will, an autargyr can use detect poison as a 6th level cleric.

Enjoy or whatever. Comments still welcome!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-12 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Little fixes.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Autargyr
    [...]nobly soft, light gray hue. elegant, simple Terran [...]
    Okay, so this one is definitely silver. Are the "noble" and "elegant" things a reference to being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth or just to highlight its price? I would have thought that noble gases would be the most up-and-mighty ones. The three abilities are all relevant to silver's characteristics, no issue there. Maybe you could specify if the transfers happen before or after the autargyr's reduction (I assume before, but no harm in writing it). So if the autargyr is grappling someone, it still takes half the damage while the attack is completely transferred if it only touches them? It's a bit weird.

Tall and thin, autargyrs appear as tightly braided coils of metallic wire
    I'm not sure what the coils are a reference to.

Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (33 hp)
    How do you choose the power level/number of RHD of the periodic elementals?

23. - Top - End - #263

Okay, so this one is definitely silver.
    …and I didn't make them deal damage as a silvered weapon. Oops.

Are the "noble" and "elegant" things a reference to being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth or just to highlight its price?
    All of the above, plus silver is pretty.

I would have thought that noble gases would be the most up-and-mighty ones.
    Ah, you just wait until I get to those brats (if ever)!

The three abilities are all relevant to silver's characteristics, no issue there. Maybe you could specify if the transfers happen before or after the autargyr's reduction (I assume before, but no harm in writing it).
    Before, yes, and I'll put that in there, thanks.

So if the autargyr is grappling someone, it still takes half the damage while the attack is completely transferred if it only touches them? It's a bit weird.
    I wasn't sure about it either, but the reasoning I went with was that grappling creates a full circuit where the electricity can flow back and forth and simply letting it pass through doesn't. It's also not terribly relevant, I figured further, because halved minus 20 should mean it rarelyttakes damage in this way anyhow. BUt it really is wonky.

I'll probably go with "grappled opponents get hit with Conduct automatically, no action" instead.

I'm not sure what the coils are a reference to.
    Nothing. I just didn't want it to be a loose tangle of wires, so I coiled it up.

How do you choose the power level/number of RHD of the periodic elementals?
    If I had guts, I'd say guts, but I don't, so I have to say based on feels. I could rely on oxidation state or electron shell numbers or somesuch, but I don't feel like the smug knowledge alone that IT REALLY MEANS SOMETHING would be worth the hassle.

24. - Top - End - #264

I'm going to keep this introductory bit short this time, because the new entry just speaks for itself. It's a BIRDY!

Uriaas
    Plump birds standing much taller than they are long on short, slightly webbed feet, with oily black plummage on the head, back and wings, their belly white, uriaai strike many as distinctly penguin-like in shape, even though the two kinds share no close bond of blood. If their long, thick, gently curving black beaks aren't, their reasonably well-developed wings (their stubby-fingered hands being a part of it) are proof enough of that.

Uriai thrive in cold water, and establish settlements on rocky hills and cliffs facing bodies of such water, especially on islands close to the shore. They are good-natured and curious, easily growing anxious if they have to spend too long a time alone. They mix most readily with their own, but being perceived as clumsy and comical bothers them little and they will associate with any outlander they find to come in peace and willing to keep them good company with equal ease.

Uriaai speak their own language, Gwil, a terse, isolating language consisting of short, sharp, shrill words. They are commonly known to pick up some Auran, Tuilvilanuue or, indeed, both as well.

Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Armor Class: 12 (+1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+1
    Attack: Beak +1 melee (1d4-1)
    Full Attack: Beak +1 melee (1d4-1)
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., gliding, seastride
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 9 Dex 12, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11
    Skills: Balance +2, Jump +2, Listen +4, Spot +5, Swim +5
    Feats: Alertness
    Environment: Cold hills
    Organization: Solitary, nesting pair or colony (24–2500)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Alignment: Often neutral
    Level Adjustment: +1

Combat
    Uriaai understand they are poorly equipped to handle themselves in a fair fight. If they must engage foes, they'll stick close to steep coastal rocks where they can use their unusual mobility to disadvantage their foes or flee as needed.

Gliding (Ex)
    An uriaas can use its wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Uriaai glide at a speed of 20 feet (poor maneuverability). Even if the maneuverability of an uriaas improves, it can't hover while gliding. An uriaas can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.

Seastride (Ex)
    While the wings of an uriaas are not quite powerful enough, given the bird's weight, to allow for true flight, they are good for more than just gliding. So long as the uriaas doesn't use its hands and arms for anything else, aided further by its webbed feet, it can lift its body somewhat with rapid wingbeats and practically walk or even run on the surface of bodies of water unimpeded and at its full land speed.

Skills
    An uriaas receives a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-11 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo alert!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Tall and thin, autargyrs appear as tightly braided coils of metallic wire with a nobly soft, light gray hue. When they fold their long arms around themselves and stand still (for they can and will stand very still), they are almost like slender columns, faintly glistening if light falls upon them. They have no visible eyes or mouth; their voice seeps out between the bundles of silvery strands as an even breeze.
    Given the cool touch attack, any reason not to increase their reach above that expected for a "tall" large creature? It would make the electric reaction harder to avoid from melee, and therefore more of a consideration when the party is aware of it. Admittedly if the reach is too long it could become an issue where the melee PCs and electric attack based PCs can't both participate in the fight, but I do really like the idea that you're requiring the party to think about this as they fight an Autargyr.

Don't like the name though. I assume the "arg" in the middle is meant to reflect it being silver, but that is starts with "au" (the elemental symbol for gold coming from the latin "aurum") makes this less clear. Maybe "Targyr" or "argtargyr" would be clearer? I remember from the Green Ant you don't want the elemental to be super obvious as to which element it is, but starting the creature's name with the symbol of a different element feels off and somewhat deceptive.

Or its an electrum elemental rather than a silver elemental, but I hadn't thought of "alloy" elementals until I'm writing this paragraph and don't like the initial sound of it. If that is the case, "Aurargyr" as a name might be necessary to make clear it is an electrum elemental rather than a silver elemental.

Uriaas
    Plump birds standing much taller than they are long on short, slightly webbed feet, with oily black plummage on the head, back and wings, their belly white, uriaai strike many as distinctly penguin-like in shape, even though the two kinds share no close bond of blood. If their long, thick, gently curving black beaks aren't, their reasonably well-developed wings (their stubby-fingered hands being a part of it) are proof enough of that.

Uuriai thrive in cold water, and establish settlements on rocky hills and cliffs facing bodies of such water, especially on islands close to the shore. They are good-natured and curious, easily growing anxious if they have to spend too long a time alone. They mix most readily with their own, but being perceived as clumsy and comical bothers them little and they will associate with any outlander they find to come in peace and willing to keep them good company with equal ease.
    I don't recognize these and can't find anything when I look up the name or either pluralization you've listed (although I assume "uuriai" is a typo). Any relation to the Boobrie of Scottish folklore?

26. - Top - End - #266

Given the cool touch attack, any reason not to increase their reach above that expected for a "tall" large creature? It would make the electric reaction harder to avoid from melee, and therefore more of a consideration when the party is aware of it. Admittedly if the reach is too long it could become an issue where the melee PCs and electric attack based PCs can't both participate in the fight, but I do really like the idea that you're requiring the party to think about this as they fight an Autargyr.
    Beyond how I'd have to think up a good wording… No, no reason at all. It's a neat idea, actually, and goes well with a thing that's just a bundle of wires at the end of the day. How much more reach would you think wouldn't be too much reach? I'm frankly wary of going above 20', all things considered.

Don't like the name though. I assume the "arg" in the middle is meant to reflect it being silver, but that is starts with "au" (the elemental symbol for gold coming from the latin "aurum") makes this less clear. Maybe "Targyr" or "argtargyr" would be clearer? I remember from the Green Ant you don't want the elemental to be super obvious as to which element it is, but starting the creature's name with the symbol of a different element feels off and somewhat deceptive.

Or its an electrum elemental rather than a silver elemental, but I hadn't thought of "alloy" elementals until I'm writing this paragraph and don't like the initial sound of it. If that is the case, "Aurargyr" as a name might be necessary to make clear it is an electrum elemental rather than a silver elemental.
    Oh, man. I am really proud of this one, so that's a bummer. See, you know how Libris Mortis is called the Book of Bad Latin and deserves it. Now, this is the Thread of Goodish Greek, if you will (I have a degree for that). Autargyr comes from aut(o)- spliced to the root argyr- in the composition of a regular compound, with only the Greek ending clipped off of the end. It means 'silver itself'.

I don't recognize these and can't find anything when I look up the name or either pluralization you've listed (although I assume "uuriai" is a typo). Any relation to the Boobrie of Scottish folklore?
    Glad that you asked, because interestingly enough, yes and no. The Boobrie is considered, by some, to be partly based on the now extinct great auk. The Uriaas, in turn, is really just a sized-up, and therefore mostly flightless common guillemot, another species of auk. Guillemots are adorably clumsy fliers and once I saw some take-off from water, basically running on it for several meters before getting properly up in the air, I just knew I had to make a birdy race that does that. The name is also a twist on the Greek etymon of the guillemots' genus name, Uria.

At any rate, I'll have to make a Boobrie at some point now. And fix that typo too.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-11 at 02:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Beyond how I'd have to think up a good wording… No, no reason at all. It's a neat idea, actually, and goes well with a thing that's just a bundle of wires at the end of the day. How much more reach would you think wouldn't be too much reach? I'm frankly wary of going above 20', all things considered.
    I was really only thinking of a 15' reach, because that's all you need to catch people off guard.

Autargyr comes from aut(o)- spliced to the root argyr- in the composition of a regular compound, with only the Greek ending clipped off of the end. It means 'silver itself'.
    Now that you explained it I see it, and that's a cool idea. As someone without a degree, maybe "internal silver", "inside silver", or "core silver" could work without having it start with "au?"

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now that you explained it I see it, and that's a cool idea. As someone without a degree, maybe "internal silver", "inside silver", or "core silver" could work without having it start with "au?"
    "Here be silver"! I'm honestly not sure changing the name is necessary. Au is indeed the prefix for gold, but the actual name is aurum, or at least aur- as a prefix (not to mention it's latin and not greek, in greek "gold" is "chrys-" as in chryselephantine). Autargyr is a nice name, with auto- for self-conscious. Maybe zoargyr for living silver would be nice, but it would probably be muddled with hydrargyr (quicksilver).
    The reach is nice, and 15ft is the regular amount for tendrils. I wouldn't put much more than that unless the monster can modify its body at will (probably something for quicksilver).

Uriaa
    Sure, we didn't have a jesus bird monster. Making it a humanoid is certainly not the choice I'd have made, but it's not a bad choice either.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-03-12 at 05:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

I was really only thinking of a 15' reach, because that's all you need to catch people off guard.
    The reach is nice, and 15ft is the regular amount for tendrils. I wouldn't put much more than that unless the monster can modify its body at will (probably something for quicksilver).
    Cool. Thank you two! I think I'll only increase it for the purpose of Conduct (it slams with the wiry things bundled up; it conducts with a long, slender, single metallic tendril) to add to the surprise factor.

"Here be silver"! I'm honestly not sure changing the name is necessary. Au is indeed the prefix for gold, but the actual name is aurum, or at least aur- as a prefix (not to mention it's latin and not greek, in greek "gold" is "chrys-" as in chryselephantine). Autargyr is a nice name, with auto- for self-conscious.
    I think I'll keep it, then.

Maybe zoargyr for living silver would be nice, but it would probably be muddled with hydrargyr (quicksilver).
    And literally (as in, the quick and dead)!

Sure, we didn't have a jesus bird monster.
    Hah! Maybe it's time I started a punk rock band of my own?

Making it a humanoid is certainly not the choice I'd have made, but it's not a bad choice either.
    I figured that if the Kenku and the Aaracokra get away with being both birdy birdies and Humanoid, I can get away with it. Glad to have your seal of approval, though!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-12 at 03:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

So,All the Bad Ideas of the Aboleths week, coming up! First in is something unusually stupid, mostly created to amuse me and to serve as a commentary on how absolutely demented the game's official definition for "creature" is, the

Bulging Lump
    Even the shrewdest planner and the brightest mind will, on occasion, make mistakes. The bulging lump is such a mistake, the responsible party being understood to have been a group of aboleth savants. Reportedly, these flat, slightly domed accretions of quivering mucus, either a sickening yellow or a pale pink in colour, were the results of an experiment to produce an artificial guard creature with some of the common properties of an ooze. A spectacular failure, the project has since long beem abandoned, but (apparently, at any rate) cheap and relatively easy to procure, the lumps still see occasional use as glorified stationary traps.

Bulging lumps do not speak, nor do they understand language of any sort.

Size/Type: Medium Construct
    Hit Dice: 13d10+20 (91 hp)
    Initiative: -5
    Speed: 0 ft.
    Armor Class: 5 (-5 Dex), touch 5, flat-footed 5
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
    Attack:
    Full Attack:
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Pulsing call, waves of weakness
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., DR 4/piercing or slashing, immunity to acid, low-light vision, vulnerability to electricity
    Saves: Fort -5, Ref –, Will -1
    Abilities: Str –, Dex –, Con –, Int –, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Any underground aquatic
    Organization: Solitary or cluster (3–8)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment:Always neutral
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Unable to move or think and barely aware of their surroundings, bulging lumps sit inert waiting for creatures to happen by.

Pulsing Call (Su)
    Any living creature that passes within 30 feet of a bulging lump begins to suddenly sense strange, unsettling vibrations around itself. Such a creature must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or be forced to move as close to the lump as it is able and remain there motionless until such time as the effect is broken or it is forcibly moved away. An affected creature may repeat the save once every minute so long as it is conscious. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same lump’s call for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Waves of Weakness (Ex)
    When a bulging lump is fully submerged, its substance mixes with water, forming a thin, caustic and toxic solution floating around its form. Any creature adjacent to such a bulging lump must succeed on a DC 16 Fort save or take 2d4 points of acid damage and 1d3 points of Strength damage each round. A succesful save negates the ability damage and halves the acid damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

There. The second one is less out there and something I've already kind of done before, but how perfect the shapoe of the human lower jaw for this really is kinda filled me with a morbid fascination. Also, I suppose these'd make pretty good Stereotypical Movie Librarians too, which is a plus.

Sappa
    Thick-skinned, brutish beings, the sappa stumble about, as though lost, in or in the vicinity of larger streams and bodies of water. Jagged teeth, sitting haphazardly in many raws, jut from the vaulted palate of a broad crescent-shaped aperture leading into a flat face, sitting atop their shoulders with no neck in-between. Above this grotesque mouth, the head tapers to a rounded point. The arms taper themselves, ending in bare, robust bony hooks.

Sages posit that these miserable beings were designed and made by the psionic aboleths, likely from a mixed stock, with hook horrors and some variant of shark worked into them. Their intended purpose would appear to have been inconveniencing spellcasters, but it would appear that they proved difficult to control. Most roam rogue these days.

It is unclear whether the sappa understand any language or not, and few believe their peculiar shrieking, whistling vocalizations form one.

Size/Type: Large Aberration
    Hit Dice: 8d8+32 (45 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +9 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
    Attack: Hook +13 melee (2d4+7 plus Jawbreaker)
    Full Attack: 2 hooks +13 melee (2d4+7 plus Jawbreaker)
    Special Attacks: Jawbreaker
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., DR 8/magic and piercing, scent
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 7, Wis 8, Cha 7
    Skills: Jump +13, Swim +12
    Feats: Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Weapon Focus (hook)
    Environment: Any warm
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Alignment: Often chaotic evil
    Advancement: 9–14 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Sappa appear to be enraged by coherent speech and will attack any that they hear to talk in a mindless, screaming fury. They are known to readily ignore creatures that make no sound or have no labguage, even if these behave in a hostile manner. They will likewise commonly abandon fights the moment no opponent is capable of speaking anymore.

Amphibious (Ex)
    A sappa can breathe air and water with equal ease.

Jawbreaker (Ex)
    Whenever a saap succesfully hits an opponent with a hook attack, it can, as a free action, immediately thereafter initiate a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds in establishing a hold, it can then choose to latch onto its opponents lower jaw and attempt to tear it off. A foe so grabbed must succeed on a DC 21 Fortitude save to avoid that. A failure means the victim cannot speak coherently, use spells with verbal components or magic items activated with a command word and receives a -8 circumstance penalty on Bluff, Diplomacy and Disguise checks until such time as a Regeneration spell or similar effect (such as regeneration) undoes the injury. The save DC is Strength-based.

Skills
    Due to its constant ululation, the sappa have a -4 racial penalty to Move Silently checks.

In case anyone wondered, somewhat unusually for something I made, the name means absolutely nothing at all.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-03-18 at 11:18 AM. Reason: A whole lump of hit points!