Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Kung's Island

Jim Walker
    Human Paladin of Treachery
    AC: 16 HP: 31/68
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim smiles gratefully and accepts Grim's help. "I'm fine, thanks. Or... nothing's missing, anyway. I'm not at full strength..."

"Do you guys think we're safe enough resting for a few minutes? If not, I can use magic to heal myself, but... I'd rather save that for a real emergency, if we can."

Jim sees Grim looking through the dead cube, and decides to take a look for himself. (Investigation 3)

"Oh, and... thanks for the save, guys. That... really could have been messy."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Sifting through the remains of the cube was both disgusting and not particularly rewarding. The only worthwile thing was a small iron ring that, on closer inspection, appeared to be magic.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana check DC 15 for someone who has detect magic up

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    AC: 18 HP: 59/59
    PP: 12 PIv: 19 PIs: 12
    Conditions: Temp HP: 3, Astral Arms (1/100)
    Concentration: --

Lael examines the ring for a bit and then makes a face. "It's a ring of acid resistance. I'm honestly not sure what else I should have expected."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim raises his eyebrows. "Well, that would have come in handy a minute ago."

He sighs. "Is it okay with everyone if I take that? And... whoever takes it, can we sit down to catch our breath while they attune to it?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"If we are to rest in this place let us move back into the hallway that leads to the office, it is less exposed and we have already checked it."

Grim starts moving that direction.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous follows the others with the drake. He was down four javelins lost to the acid. But at least they were safe. He wondered if the gelatinous cube was counted when the mirror stated how many life forms there were.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim nods, grateful for the chance to rest, and to attune to his new ring. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate this."

"Hey, so... if we're going back that way anyway... should we ask the mirror how many life forms are left? I'm kind of curious whether or not that cube counted."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-13 at 03:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

The team secured their little camp in the short corridor leading to the office. After closing the doors and securing each with a piton, they were able to enjoy an hour of rest. The heavy walls and doors did not carry sound and so it was absolutely quiet in here - except of course for the noises Jim uttered while attuning to the newly found ring.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After everyone is done getting there bearings and resting Grim opens the hallway door to go back into the large room and inspects the closed doors to the south to see if they are trapped(14).

"These don't appear to be trapped, so it looks like we have 2 options right now. Check these out or go through the gate where that thing came out of. Either way we need to find what we came here for and that Medallion so we can shut down this system"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to go through the open gate before trying any of these doors. Thraseous says looking at the group.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

A careful look around all the doors and gates revealed no traps or engaged locks.
    Taking a peek through the open gate into the adjacent room revealed a large storage area - row upon row glasware was areigned on shelves along the wall. Most of them looked like potion bottles.
    Everything was as clean as only a gelatinous cube desperate for sustenance could keep it.

In total, the team estimated the room to contain about a thousand bottles. Most likely they had been put here to cool before being packaged, although there remained no sign of anything organic here.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    AC: 16 HP: 63/68
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim looks around. "Well, if nothing else, we've uncovered this."

"But we can't take it all with us, and if all we do is tell the people back at port we were the ones to find it, or even bring a piece or two along as evidence... then someone else might dispute our story, and claim we're taking credit for their work. It's their word against ours... unless we find glassware schematics. That's going to be hard to argue with."

"So, we should probably keep going."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-17 at 10:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

The next gate revealed a large, empty room. On the smooth black floor a thick coat of dust had collected. The only light came from a series of everburning torches. A closer look revealed beneath the dust pieces of an arcane pattern.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana check DC 16

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    Conditions: Temp HP: 3

Lael collects some of the potion bottles. After spotting it, she examines the arcane pattern.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+9)[25]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Lael recognized the pattern as a teleportation circle. The distinct pattern would allow a caster with the right spell to connect to this place for quick transport of goods.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"Ooooh. A teleportation circle. Well, that makes sense I suppose. A place this advanced would use the most convenient method of transporting people and goods it could." Lael remarks.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim looks at it. "Then, if we tell the University about this, their mages could go in and out as they chose? We can expect a good deal of money for that."

He looks over the Circle himself. "The merchant prince who I work for says he has one of these in his compound. Heavily guarded, of course, and well away from anything else of importance. There's supposed to be some kind of sequence you need to activate these, right? Maybe we can write it down."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim goes and inspects the store room with the group grabbing a half dozen or so bottles and puts them in his bag. Continuing to the next gate he studies the identified teleportation circle, taking precarious mental notes. Still not finding what the group is looking for he goes and opens the first of the 3 doors with scythe in hand.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

The door opened into a large room that was clearly recognizable as an office. six tables stood in two rows, facing the door that likely led into the master office. Along the walls, black boards were mounted with very faded writings on them. Some of them looked like parts of formula - likely the ones the team was looking for. But they obviously were incomplete and not organized. More interesting were the comlex mechanical calculation machines on each desk. The machines looked like boxes made of brass and wood and showed both a mechanical typing interface as well as a series of rotating cylinders, allowing them to calculate up to six figures before and after the decimal point. They looked to be both heavy and valuable.
    Other than that, all the desks were clean with no sign of paperwork anywhere to be found.
    At the other end of the room was another door.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"That's a good idea." Lael replies to Jim and copies down the sequence on a piece of paper. "I'll make you a copy later when we're back in town. I might need to write other things down later and didn't bring a lot of paper."

When she's done and sees what Grim discovered she's once again quite excited and spends at least five minutes just messing around with one of the calculators before stowing one in her hat.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

The gears were pretty noisy and moved reluctantly - likely because of gummed up oil and grit, but they still worked fine otherwise.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous keeps watch with the drake until 3 hours pass and then doesn't summon another until an enemy shows up. He is quite out of his element looking at mechanical things and other arcana.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim checks the door at the back of this office room for traps and if its locked (8investigation, 17perception didnt know which one), wanting to keep going and find what they are looking for.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

The door showed no signs of being trapped. Peaking carefully into the room beyond it revealed a corridor that led to the front door in the south, the team had unsuccessfully tried to open earlier. The door to the north led to the factory floor. The door opposite to the office door had a bronze plate on it that said: "Security"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim nods at Lael's suggestion that he get a copy of the sequence. "Thanks. I'd appreciate that."

When they come to the room with the calculators, Jim takes a moment to think. "Do you think we could find blueprints for these somewhere on the island? If some rich merchant-princes was able to make these en masse, he'd have an easier time training clerks. It could make him appreciably richer... and I'll bet he'd pay the party that arranged for him to get those blueprints quite well."

Then they came to a door marked "Security." "Uh... if there were living security personnel here, there aren't now. But we saw golems in the office. There could be more in here..."

He listens at the door to try and hear if there's anything moving behind it. (17 for Perception.)
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-21 at 04:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Only a faint "whirring" noise could be heard from behind the door, not unlike the sound of a spindle spinning whool. Otherwise everything was silent.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim Walker
    Conditions:
    Concentration:

Jim looks back towards the rest of the group. "I think I hear something in there. Something like a spinning wheel spinning wool. Could be a golem of some sort? Uh... do any of you know enough about golems to guess what kind it might be, if it is one?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-04-24 at 07:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous looks at the others Should we open the door and have them come out?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

Lael takes a listen and ponders a bit then says, "I think perhaps it maybe be someone like our friend Grim here. Though something far older of course. Though maybe it's just a regular construct. I guess.... hmmm.... we should be prepared to talk or to fight?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Everyone stand back and spread out, be ready but don't have a hostile stance"

Grim waits for everyone to do that and then opens the door quickly assessing the nature of whatever is inside (Arcana 22), shield and scythe in firm grip but down.

"Hello fellow constructs, I have been sent to assess the current status of the factory, Is it safe and Secure?" (deception 13)
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-04-23 at 02:26 PM.