New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [IC] Kung's Island

The arrival at Kung's Island

The fog finally lifted and gave way for a breath taking view: A large volcanic island, teeming with tropical life, became visible in the light of the sinking sun. Azure blue waves broke against jagged coral reeves, that lay for the most part treacherously close beneath the surface. A series of buoys had been placed to mark the secure approach, laid down by the explorers of the Royal Academy. The Thalia wasn't a large ship, but she was fast and the crew experienced. So far she had made the trip six times already and by now the novelty of the islands sight had already evaporated for the deck hands.
    The ship rounded the island a bit more until something like a peninsula became appearant: A 120 feet high light house surrounded by fortified stone buildings with roofs shining like polished obsidian. In fact - as one of the sailors told you - the roofs were made of some kind of black steel that never rusted and dissolved quickly any organic material upon it as soon as the sun began to warm it.
    Just one of the many wonders and secrets that were supposed to be hidden on the island.

Now the flag poles came into view: High above the others, the banner of Brugstadt and the university danced in the wind, beneath and opposite each other flew the Frenish Unicorn and the Aleminian Lion.

The pier jutting out from the small harbor already had three other ships docked, delivering supplies and further personal - just like your own vessel.

As the ship closed in, it passed the base of one of the buildings. There in the shallow water the stench of decaying flesh was faintly perceptible. The fresh carcass of an enormous spider was sticking up its eight legs like the skeleton of a bizarre ship wreck.

As the ship docked and unloaded, you stepped on a pier, that wasn't yet 2 months old, but already showed the signs of heavy use. Signposts in different languages informed the travelers that everyone had to present themselves to the harbor master's office, before they are allowed to enter the buildings around the market, the embassies, the assembly as well as the public offices.

Everywhere armed guards with the emblem of the Sturmbanner could be seen. Those men and women were legendary for their battle prowess, their discipline and the exorbitant amounts of money their employ cost. Every last one carried at least one pistol with a bandolier, a short sword and a shield as well as a finely crafted leather armor, studded with gleaming steel rivets. Despite the warm and humid weather everyone was wearing their helmet.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Kung's Island

Thraseous the Black stretched as he got off the boat and on to solid land. The trip was mild by many people's standards but not to him. He had been holding on to the rail the entire time. He read the sign post and gathered his equipment and made his way to the harbor master.

He approached the first person he saw outside the office. Howdy is this the place? I need to speak with the harbor master. I am a cartographer by trade and am hoping to surveil this island.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-01-28 at 04:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    AC: 18 HP: 59/59
    PP: 11 PIv: 18 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Lael herself had a great time on the voyage, learning stories (about the island and whatever else the sailors had seen) and about all sorts of sea creatures.

She'd followed after Mr. Black as a matter of having gotten off the ship just after him. After he spoke she asked with interest, "Oh you're a cartographer Mr. Black? I was hoping to do some myself, though I'm more of an astronomer and astrologist myself."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-01-28 at 05:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"You are in the right place then," The guard in front of the office replied cheerfully to Thraseous. "Go on in, before the rush starts."

After talking to Lael, Thraseous was the first of the ship's passengers to enter. Inside greeted him a polished stone floor with a pentagram and an arrangement of runes around it. Behind a high table, a white haired man in a splendid arcane looking robe sat on an equally high chair, looking down on the new arrival. To the left and right of him two grim looking guards stood, their hands casually close to their firearms.
    With a gesture, the white haired man indicated to stand in the pentagram. As soon as he entered, he felt calm and confident, without any apprehension to tell the truth.

Spoiler: Arcana Test DC 12
    Show

This is a permanent zone of truth DC 15 Charisma save to avoid it's effect

With a dry, bored sounding voice, the man on the chair addressed Thraseous:
    "Please be aware that you are now on sovereign territory of Brugstadt. All laws and regulations of the city are in effect. This is an official interview. Wrong or misleading answers can lead to deportation or - in case of espionage and sabotage - to a court martial and subsequent death by decapitation."
    He paused a moment to make sure the adventurer had understood him:
    "Your full name, home address, occupation, next of kin, any allergies, racial biases, religious alignment and/or standing vendettas... please."
    Noting down the answers, one of the guards prepared a little machine and inserted a blank metal disk into it.
    The white haired man continued:
    "Are you currently or have you ever been in the employ of a foreign military, state sponsored, military or private intelligence service? Is there any information about your person you would want to conceal from this inquiry that is pertinent to the previous questions?"

After receiving the answers, he handed the dragonborn a small parchment document with the seal of Brugstadt, a rough sketch of Thraseous' appearance and all previously acquired details. With a loud 'thunk' the guard slamed down a lever and presented Thraseous with a small metal disk that contained his name and a number.
    "These are your identification documents. Please keep them about your person and return here should you lose them. All guards here are authorized to request identification of you at all times. The harbor is neutral ground - breaches of the peace will be persecuted with the full might of the law. Should you be the victim of an attack you are permitted self defense, but you are advised to immediately call the guards for an in dept investigation.
    On the island proper there is at the moment no enforcement of these laws, but grievances of conduct unbecoming of a sanctioned explorer of the Royal Academy can be brought before the authorities and will be adjudicated to the best of our abilities.
    All recovered artifacts and or information have to be declared and inspected by customs upon leaving the island. Brugstadt retains the right to seize any major findings. In this case you'll be compensated with coin and favors of sufficient amount.
    The metal disk you received should be worn secure somewhere on your body, in case you are mutilated, desolved, burned or compressed beyond recognition. Your remaining possession and/or a suitable compensation will be paid to your next of kin.

Please sign here if you have understood.

Welcome to Kung's Island and good luck."

Lael received almost word for word the same procedure.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-01-28 at 05:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"I just want to get rich."

Jim Walker followed Lael and calmly waited his turn, although he had a slight coughing fit when the man handling the interviews asked Thraseus if he was or had ever been employed by a foreign power.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous the Black stood in the middle of the pentagram and answered each question with no deceit in his words. I swear these words are true. He looked at the two others who were on the ship. As friendly as he was, he didn't find any time to be friendly during the ships voyage. So he waited until they had gone through the swearing and introduced himself. I am Thraseous the Black. A cartographer and tracker. Pleased to meet you both.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The three newcomers to Kung's Island were ushered along as others from the ship had found their way to the harbor master, having to endure the monotone questioning.
    Stepping around the harbor master's office, they could - for the first time - clearly make out the rest of the harbor.

Despite the later hour, there seemed to be an ongoing market in it's center, ringed my various buildings. The whole arrangement was covered by a cupola of fine metal mesh like a particularly inefficent umbrella.
    A young man in clerk's clothes saw them and came nearer, handing each of them a pamphlet:

"Welcome to Kung's Island in the name of the University of Brugstadt. On this sheet, you'll find all the necessary information, you need to establish yourself. It's recommended to at first rent yourself a room at the dinning hall and open an account with the merchant bank at market hall. That's also where you can get an adventurer charta. It's not obligatory, but that way you'll be paired with other competent adventurers - and more important adventurers that aren't biased against your race. Makes it a lot less likely that you'll be stabbed in the back and ensures that your relatives will receive whatever treasure you deposited, if you catch my drift.
    Oh and a personal tip from me: See that you deposit 100 gold as soon as possible. That's what your ride back will cost. I've seen enough of those naive types who spent all their fortune at the House of 1000 Frenish Delights and had to hire on suicide missions to be able to eat.

Good luck."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"I guess I'll go next," Jim said a little nervously. "I wasn't expecting the Hamarian Inquisition," he mutters under his breath.

"Your full name, home address, occupation, next of kin, any allergies, racial biases, religious alignment and/or standing vendettas... please."

"Full name: Jim Walker."

He pauses for a second to let the functionary write.

"Home address... Uh... Apartment 2-13 in the staff wing of Master Jacques Verre's compound in the Frenish capital."

"Occupation... uh... I'm formally employed as a bodyguard, with a part time contract as a healer. But 'myrmidon' is at least as accurate."

"Next of kin... I can't even remember who my parents were, and if I have living relatives, I don't know who they are. Just send any notices that need to be sent to Master Jacques Verre of Fren; if I'm not coming back, he's the one who needs to know."

"No allergies."

"Racial biases... I tend to assume elves are stuck up until I see reason to make an exception? But who doesn't, right?"
    He tries to play it off as a joke, hoping everyone present ignores the fact that he couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

"Religious alignment: I have some regard for the Fool, but don't attend any services or anything."

"Standing vendettas... uh, some of Jacques Verre's other workers think I cheated them at a wager? I don't think they want to kill me, but they'd happily take a swing at me, maybe even rob me."

"Are you currently or have you ever been in the employ of a foreign military, state sponsored, military or private intelligence service?"

"I work for Master Jacques Verre of Fren. As previously stated, my official titles are 'bodyguard' and 'healer.' But I've worked as a thief and saboteur as well."

"Is there any information about your person you would want to conceal from this inquiry that is pertinent to the previous questions?"

"Apart from the myrmidon, saboteur, and thief thing... Well, I'm kind of still here on Master Verre's behalf. Any useful information I find for you? He wants it too. Any artifacts you don't take? He wants to at least get a look at them, maybe take one or two."

"And... I don't know if this is relevant, but it's pertinent and I'd wanted to conceal it, so... the fellow employees who think I cheated them?"

"... I did. I pretended to be new at billiards, let them beat me in a game with copper on the line, and then when the wager went to silver... Well, I didn't cheat at the game itself: they could have beaten me if they were good enough. But I picked them because I'd seen them playing and knew they weren't. And they let the wager go to silver because I'd misled them about my own skill."

After the questioning, he offers Thraseus a handshake. "You're a cartographer? Maybe I'll want to come along with you, then. Being able to figure out the lay of the land can only help, right?"

"As you probably heard during all of the questioning, I'm Jim Walker. I'm basically a bodyguard with a few extra tricks, including healing."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-01-29 at 08:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

Lael for the most part just answers the questions in order, though she's clearly interested in what other people's answers are in a just curious for the sake of curiosity kind of way.

"Lael Liadon"

"The University of Brugstad and the Royal Academy of Explorers." she also adds wherever she and her parents and two elder siblings specifically reside and notes their names. ((Do I actually need to name them?))

"Wizard.... kind of? My magic doesn't work the same way as other wizards. It's very.... hands on I suppose you could say." she answers with a little chuckle.

"No allergies that I know of."

"No biases. People are people." she answers giving a kind of pointed look at Jim.

"The Fool and the Outsider."

"No vendettas."

"Does working for The University of Brugstad and the Royal Academy of Explorers count? I'm not on any specific mission other than to research and maybe bring back items to study though."

"Nope!"

After picking up the metal disk she asks, "Is this magical? If so, what does it do?" and then signs the papers and takes her documents.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Only the magic of bureocracy." The harbor master replied to Lael's question. "It allows us to identify corpses easier, since this alloy can withstand the stomach acid of most of the monster on this island quite well."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous the Black made his way to the bank. He presented his credentials and deposited 575 and kept 1000 to spend on equipment.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-02-06 at 02:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim followed. He deposited 105 gold; so that even if he lost everything else he could take a trip back to the mainland and eat well on the way. The rest of his money, he kept on him.

I wonder what they have in the markets...
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-02-06 at 02:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

And so it came that a short while later, the newly arrived adventurers found themselves in a small room in the Merchant Bank.
    The building had in previous centuries been a warehouse for coffee and its faint aroma could still be smelled.

A dwarf in formal business leathers had introduced himself as Mr. Brod and taken their registration data and asked them to wait a moment.

Now he returned with a pleased expression on his face: "Congratulations. According to your entries, you should have a chance of over 75% to successfully navigate the island's dangers. The bank can therefore give you the premium package: No account maintenance charge, full commissioning of all finds as well as this nice set potion pushers.

Should you plan to stay long term, we'll be happy to help you find permanent accommodation on the harbor premises or invest in the reclamation of living space on the island. Once this Island has been made completely safe, land prices will sore. So investing in a claim now might very well pay huge dividends.

Also, if you don't know where to start your exploration: Somewhere close along the coast to the south, Kung's Island must have had a glass manufacture. Previous finds indicate that a particular robust kind of glass was produced there, most likely with the sand from the local beaches. We are very interested in the recipe as well as fine glassware that might still be there.

If you are looking for additional paid work while you are going out anyway, I suggest you take a look at the blackboard over at the Tortura Tavern.

Any questions? Or are you interested in some of the more common magical contraptions that the island has to offer? We are not only buying but also selling the less complex items"

Spoiler: Potion Pusher, common magical item
    Show

The potion pusher is a small brass contraption with a clear, wormlike appendage, that can be placed anywhere on a humanoid's skin. At that, the end of the appendage will connect painlessly to the skin, not unlike a leech. The brass can contain a standard potion bottle. A small switch allows to activate a clockwork pump as an item interaction, pumping whatever potion is set into it, directly into the users body, giving them it's benefits. The pump can also be switched to a sensitive setting, that activates the pump if the user falls prone. This can deliver a dose of healing potion automatically if the user falls unconscious.
    Potions have to be bought separately

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"Oh! Thank you. Interesting...." Lael says, trailing off as she examines the potion pusher for a while. After a bit she says, "I do have something of a list of items I was hoping I could purchase if there are any that were found already."

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming this is the place for it ("it" being uncommon magic items) she actually pulls out a list of the following:
    (Listed in most desired to least. Most likely she can't afford all of them.)

Helm of Comprehend Languages (but not actually a helm, something that'd fit her esthetic).

Bag of Holding (preferably a magic hat that looks like the one in her picture perhaps....)

Insignia of Claws

Stone of Good Luck

Periapt of Wound Closure

Cloak of Protection

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-02-06 at 04:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Mr. Brod took out a ledger, comparing the list to the contents of his book.
    "Now let's see what the current market value for those is."

Hat of Comprehend Languages (1d7)[2] 200gp
    Bag of Holding (1d7)[4] 400gp
    Insignia of Claws (1d7)[4] 400gp
    Stone of Good Luck (1d7)[4] 400gp
    Periapt of Wound Closure (1d7)[3] 300gp
    Cloak of Protection (1d7)[3] 300gp

"You are in luck, all of these seem to be in stock. Do you want to place a bid through your account? Tell us your upper limit and we place your bid with the merchants and acquire them for you at a 3% arbitrage. You can of course go to the market yourself and ask around who has all these, but - well - you likely want to spend your time earning money, right?"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-02-06 at 04:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"Um..... yeah! Sounds good!" she pulls out her money and hands over 1,800 gold for the banker to place in the bank/use for bids.

Spoiler
    Show

Max bids....

Hat of Comprehend Languages: 510gp
    Bag of Holding: 610gp
    Insignia of Claws: 610gp
    Stone of Good Luck: 410gp
    Periapt of Wound Closure: 310gp
    Cloak of Protection: 310gp

"I know I can't afford all of them. The first three are my main priority, but I'd like to get as many as I can get for now." she adds.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-02-06 at 04:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Very good, come back tomorrow and we'll have ready whatever we can manage to get at those bids. Please sign here and add the necessary funds to your account to cover your bids."

Mr. Brod replied after setting up a broker contract.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-02-06 at 04:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim takes a curious sniff and then a deep breath as he walks in. "I'm a sucker for good coffee."

"Oh yeah, there's about a hundred things I like about that deal. To clarify: are the potion pushers complimentary?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"Certainly. You can find fitting potions at most of the licensed merchants on the market place."
    Mr. Brod smiled.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim nods. "Thank you, sir."

Jim remembers a second too late that some merchants don't like being called "sir."

"If you have Boots of Elvenkind, I'll throw my hat into the ring for those. Goggles of Night wouldn't go amiss either..."

"I'll be happy enough with Slippers of Spiderclimbing, if and only if I lose my bid for the Boots of Elvenkind. Uh... are conditional bids like that okay?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-02-06 at 07:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a simple man, a +1 shield, +1 breast plate and +1 scimitar is all I ask. Thraseous the Black said looking at the banker. I have 1000 gold. But I have more in your bank say 400 more if need be.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Brod consulted his book further:

"Let's see:

Boots of Elvenkind (1d7)[2] 200gp
    Goggles of Night (1d7)[3] 300gp
    Slippers of Spiderclimb (1d7)[1] 100gp

Magic Shield, low magical strength (1d7)[5] 500gp
    Scimitar, low magical strength (1d7)[2] 200gp

I'm afraid, that magical armor is of yet too rare to make it's way to the general market."

"Conditional bids are certainly doable, so what is your maximum bid?"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-02-07 at 07:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Brod consulted his book further:

"Let's see:

Boots of Elvenkind [roll0] 200gp
    Goggles of Night [roll1] 300gp
    Slippers of Spiderclimb [roll2] 100gp

Magic Shield, low magical strength [roll3] 500gp
    Scimitar, low magical strength [roll4] 200gp

I'm afraid, that magical armor is of yet too rare to make it's way to the general market."

"Conditional bids are certainly doable, so what is your maximum bid?"
    1100 is my max bid as I want to go to the market for some potions. Thraseous says to the banker.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim thought for a second, and looked at his bag.

"Let's go with... 425 for the Goggles, and 300 for the Boots? And if I can't get the Boots for that price, then please use the money to bid up to 250 for the Slippers instead."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well, I'll see you tomorrow evening when the results of our bidding will be apparent. Until then remember, we are looking for the secret of that durable glassware. I wish you the best of luck."
    The banker replied with a smile.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim nods. "Thank you, sir."

He turns to the other two. "So... do you two have anything else you want from the auctions? If not, do you two want to go to the market with me?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I will join you. Let us us hope our endeavors are successful.
    Do we know what the glass looks like.
    Thraseous the Black says to the others.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If you want to learn more about the glas, ask around with an investigation or persuation check DC 15

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"Sure!" Lael replies to the invitation, excited to see what the market is like. Which seems to be kind of the norm for her so far on the journey since she's been excited to see pretty much everything. Which makes sense if you know she's spent her entire life mostly on the grounds of the university.

At some point later, Lael does some asking around about the glass and the beach area.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolled in discord. Got a nat 20 for a total of 28.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-02-08 at 12:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim smiles and nods when Thraseous the Black joins the search. "It'll be good to have you on board. You said you're a cartographer, right? I might know someone who'd pay a lot of money for a copy of any maps you might make..."

When they actually get to the market, Jim judges that the kid has the investigation well in hand, and decides to go look for the healing potion stall.