New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Kung's Island

There were several different accounts of what happened in the next few seconds, but after the smoke from the huge fiery explosion cleared, only the charred remains of six harpies on the ground and a good number of the flying ones too littered the ground.
    As quickly as the swarm had appeared, it pulled back now as the small mushroom cloud began to dispers.
    Likewise the shooting stopped, leaving a ringing sound in everyone's ears.
    Lael, standing unharmed in a circle of burned corpses could hear a faint voice coming from under the upturned basket:
    "Is it over, can we come out?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    AC: 18 HP: 47/59
    PP: 11 PIv: 18 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Arms of the Astral Self
    Concentration: --

"Yes, here let me help you!" is Lael's reply as she uses her four arms to help the people out of the collapsed balloon. Once they're out she asks, "Do you need help bringing this back?" and gestures to the balloon with one of her regular hands.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Beneath the basket, two young soldiers appeared - a young female dwarven lieutenant and an equally young male human private.
    "Thank Juven, that was terrifying. You really saved our bacons there."
    The young dwarf saluted: "Lieutenant Liv Hammerzahn at your service.
    Don't worry about the balloon. The engineers will get it airborn again in no time. And I and Private Forks will take our breaks now - and I'd be happy to invite you to a few rounds at the Copper Room."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah. Yeah, I'd want a break too, after that experience. We're probably going back to sleep, but I wouldn't say no to meeting you at... the Copper Room, you said? Sometime soon."

Jim puts the javelin in his hands away and looks to see if the one he's already thrown survived the impact and the fireball.

"Is anyone injured? I think I can do something about that."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-02-20 at 06:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

Lael just gives a blank stare at being offered drinks.

"They clawed me a little." she replies to Jim, not sure if he had meant her too.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you have much trouble with these bird creatures? Is that why you were in the balloon. Thraseous says looking at the two soldiers. Has anyone gone after their nest?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Seeing that Lael is relatively unharmed Grim monitors and scans the sky line to ascertain the retreating direction of the harpy’s.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... right, sorry, I should do something about that."

Jim casts Cure Wounds from a 2nd level spell slot to heal Lael for (2d8+3)[13] damage. Then he gets back to looking for his javelin.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Lt. Hammerzahn looked at the downed contraption: "From time to time, something seems to stir up the nests inland and these vasts flocks roam across the whole island. Most often it's some fool thinking they can just fly across the whole island.
    We use the balloon to get early warning when that happens. Unfortunately this time the winch got stuck and the private responsible to get us down again left his post in a panic."

The private next to her scowled at that and murmured: "I'll have a word with him about that later..."

"ANYWAY!" the Lt. continued throwing an angry glance to her subordiante, "When they ripped open the hull, we were fortunately no longer at maximum height and fell slow enough not to break our necks. I think we need a feature that allows us to savely vent the hot air from up in the balloon. Should you come upon any plans about that, I'd be very interested in seeing those. Kung is supposed to have employed vast airships. Could be, there are already some useable designs around somewhere on the island.
    In any case, you have my gratitude. Here. Make good use of those. If anyone asks, they got destroyed in the explosion."
    She winked at that, handing Lael a pair of slightly dark glasses.

Spoiler
    Show

You receive:

Eyes of the Eagle
    DMG p168
    Wondrous item, major tier, uncommon (requires attunement)
    These crystal lenses fit over the eyes. While wearing them, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. In conditions of clear visibility, you can make out details of even extremely distant creatures and objects as small as 2 feet across.

Looking at the corpses of the dead harpies turned out to be futile - ash and bone was all that remained here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure if we find anything to do with air ships we will come to you with it. Thraseous says to the soldier. Now how long till day break? We need to get some more rest or get a hearty breakfast.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

The sun chose this very moment to break through the early morning fog, answering Thraseous answer and making the Lt. smile.
    "A hearty breakfast I can provide. Follow me, I know just the place."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"Breakfast!?" Lael comments excitedly, quite suddenly aware of just how hungry she is after the early morning physical activity. She follows along, though sometimes darts ahead because she's just quite frankly faster and much more eager than the person she's supposed to be following.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous dismisses the drake. Food would be good. I am thinking of eggs and some crispy bacon. A hot drink of some sort and a pastry.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim follows along, interested to find information on the island.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Hammerzahn smiled again: "That and more."
    She led the team back inside the curtained harbor and from there to a building that might have once been a brewery - judging by the large copper vats, still hanging suspended from the ceiling beams.
    A guard stood watch outside, but let them pass without comment.

"This is where the Sturmbanner takes its meals. And since we are a private military contractor, our rations are cut above the rest."
    Indeed, past the copper vats, a large dining room with a nice panoramic view past the curtain to the east greated the group. To the side, a large table had been heaped with a buffet of all kinds of foods - including lots of different kinds of meat and bread.
    "It's not a Heroes' Feast, but the cook takes inspiration from the spell."

Jim took note that beyond the dining hall, he could see four pool tables, though no-one was playing this early in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show

Consuming a full meal here confers 4d6 temporary hit points

Hammerzahn showed them how it was done and filled a plate as full as it could be.

She then led the team to a free table and sat down: "So, what are your plans for today after you've done your daily heroics?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous fills his plate just as high and in between bites he talks. We are headed to the glass factory.
    Any pointers?

Spoiler: temp points
    Show
    (4d6)[17]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    AC: 18 HP: 59/59
    Conditions: Temp HP: 11, Arms of the Astral Self

Lael eagerly fills a plate with one of everything, or at least as close as she can get, with a lot of appreciative murmurs about this thing or that. And then she sits down and happily enjoys the meal.

Spoiler
    Show

(4d6)[11]

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-02-22 at 07:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim nods. "But we should probably finish sleeping first, right? We woke up in the middle of the night due to the bells and the gunfire."

Spoiler: Temp HP
    Show
    (4d6)[11]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim follows social convention and grabs a plate, loads it up with some of everything but way to much as he has never understood portions as he does not actually need to eat. He sits down with the others and consumes it all very quickly.

(4d6)[15]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Hammerzahn nodded at Thraseous question: "Ah, that contract is still open, is it? Most new groups head directly for the island center - few return. On a clear day, you can make out the factory in the distance. There are supposedly old roads - totally overgrown by the jungle of course - but the ground is still dense enough and with enough stone in it, that the land piranhas can't get you there. That's probably the savest way to travel there. If you want to be quicker, you can cut across the beach and enter through the cooling ducts. But be careful. There are weird clams there that can explode. Better use a very long stick to set them off before you step on them off. And take more than one stick with you.
    By the way: If you find lenses for astronomy there, I know someone who will pay premium to get them."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous shook his head. Thank you. We will seek you out if we do come across anything like that. And thanks for the information.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim nods. "Yeah, thanks. Hey, one more question: do you know where we could buy a machete or three?"

Jim pauses, then turns to Lael. "Actually, on second thought, do you think that weird arm trick of yours could clear our path?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Hammerzahn shrugged: "The market has almost all expedition supplies you could want. Short swords or machetes should be here in ample supply."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    Conditions: Temp HP: 11

In response to Jim's question Leal shook her head, "No. I mean, yes in theory it could. But I can only maintain it for about ten minutes at a time and I'd need to rest to restore my magical energy after a few times. And that's less magical energy I had for defending us."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

We should take the slower way and take the old roads. Thraseous the Black says to the others.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim listens to the lieutenant, and to his comrades, and then nods. "And we should head to the market first, to pick up machetes and check on our auction bids."

He nods to Lieutenant Hammerzhan. "Thanks for the information. Is there anything else we should know?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    Jim listens to the lieutenant, and to his comrades, and then nods. "And we should head to the market first, to pick up machetes and check on our auction bids."

He nods to Lieutenant Hammerzhan. "Thanks for the information. Is there anything else we should know?"
    "Probably loads of stuff. Unfortunately, nothing comes to mind. Thanks again and come by when you are back in town. I'd love to hear what you found."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous shakes the lieutenant's hand. Yes let us see how our bids went and pickup anything else we will need.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    Conditions: Temp HP: 11

"I will certainly be back!" Lael says as departing words to Lieutenant Hammerzhan, her eyes on a few of the breakfast items she did not have room left in her stomach (without becoming overfull, a bad idea when you're planning on immediately doing heavy exercise) to sample.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

When the team returned to the Merchant Bank, they were greeted by a smiling Mr. Brod.

"I'm happy to report, that we managed to follow your bids for over two thirds of your wishes.
    Here are the results."
    He showed them the list:

Hat of Comprehend Languages 516gp
    Bag of Holding 413gp
    Insignia of Claws 412gp
    Stone of Good Luck 412gp

Boots of Elvenkind 413gp
    Goggles of Night 309gp

Magic Shield, low magical strength 515gp
    Scimitar, low magical strength 310gp

Boots of Striding and Springing 516 gp
    Cloak of Protection 413gp