New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Kung's Island

Thraseous swings twice with his scimitar slicing at the dark mantle. The fire drake above infuses his first attack with fire.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Grimaximus
    1# Took 19 damage, attacks (1d20)[14]+5, damage (1d6)[3]+3, if crit (1d6)[5]
    2# Took 7 damage, attacks (1d20)[18]+5, damage (1d6)[5]+3, if crit (1d6)[3]

Thraseous
    3# Took 25 damage, dies
    4# attacks (1d20)[17]+5, damage (1d6)[5]+3, if crit (1d6)[1]

Lael
    5# Took 26 damage, dies
    6# took 12 damage, attacks (1d20)[12]+5, damage (1d6)[4]+3, if crit (1d6)[1]

Jim
    7# attacks (1d20)[17]+5, damage (1d6)[2]+3, if crit (1d6)[2]
    8# Took 15 damage, attacks (1d20)[16]+5, damage (1d6)[5]+3, if crit (1d6)[4]

Thraseous and Lael managed to dispatch the two creatures clinging to their faces with a quick series of strikes, while Jim and Grim did not quite manage to kill their opponents, even as the pressure on their heads increased.
    The remaining creatures continued their onslaught, their slimy, leathery skin rubbing disgustingly across any bit of exposed flesh they could find.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"
    AC: 18 HP: 59/59
    PP: 12 PIv: 19 PIs: 12
    Conditions: Temp HP: 3
    Concentration: --

"Hold on!" Lael calls to the others as she slams her fists into more of the darkmantles, trying to at least free her companions still struggling for air.

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking those on people's heads if they're within 10 feet. Otherwise whichever ones are closest to her if any are preventing her from moving without provoking opportunity attacks. Moving as needed.
    (I'm also fine going last in the round so I don't mess up anyone else's advantage attacks.)

Attacks and 1 ki point for Flurry of Blows.

Attack 1: (1d20+9)[13]
    damage: (1d6+6)[9]
    if crit: (1d6)[2]

Attack 2: (1d20+9)[28]
    damage: (1d6+6)[8]
    if crit: (1d6)[4]

Attack 3: (1d20+9)[29]
    damage: (1d6+6)[7]
    if crit: (1d6)[4]

Attack 4: (1d20+9)[15]
    damage: (1d6+6)[8]
    if crit: (1d6)[3]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

As the beast struggles to stay on his head, Grim’s ocular receptacles burn in the darkness covering his head. His scythe burns bright green once again as he lashes out at the darkness that covers him, the green flame burns so brightly that it sets the one beside him on fire as they shriek in pain, the one falling dead off his head and landing at Grim’s feet.

Damage to one on my head 17
    Damage to one next to me 11

Finally able to see he looks around to asses the situation with the rest of his fellow adventurers.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

(Darkmantles have 22 hp, so the 16-in-total I did last round, plus the 7 I did with my first attack, would be enough to kill it even if they were at full HP when this started.)

Jim slices through the one that had attached itself to his face, and turns to the second. He slices a decent gash through its leathery hide.

First attack roll: The better of 10 and 24.
    First damage roll: 7

Second attack roll: 13
    Second damage roll: 6

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Update while we wait for gryffydd65:

Grimaximus
    1# Took 36, dies
    2# Took 18 damage, still alive + 11 from Lael, dies

Thraseous
    4# took 25 (according to Discord post, but I'm not entirely sure what the drake attacked)

Lael
    6# took 29, dies

Jim
    7# Took 6 damage, still alive + 8 from Lael, 14 total
    8# Took 22, dies

In total only #7 is still alive, so I'm going ahead and rolling one attack and afterwards we can expect you to have killed them all.

Jim
    7# attacks (1d20)[11]+5, damage (1d6)[2]+3, if crit (1d6)[2]

A few seconds more of mayham found the team free off the aberations. Slowly, the jungle noises became louder again. A few scratches and the disgusting, lingering feeling of the creatures' skin was all the team had to show for their efforts - that and a pile of dead Darkmantles. The spot seemed to be save enough for the moment, but time was moving on and they didn't know how long it would still take to reach the glas factory, making taking a rest not automatically a good idea...
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-16 at 01:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous took the lead once more and with a fire drake just ten feet in front of him flying just above the ground.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

The team made their way through another thicket when the thick jungle cleared quite abruptly and gave way to a gleaming white sandy beach. Across it and about 600ft away a building made from the obsidian like material was visible.
    A large double portal as well as a smaller, man sized door could be seen. About half of the building was surrounded by the beach, while the rest had been swallowed by the jungle. It looked almost as if beach and jungle were at war with each other, trying to claim territory but having arrived at a stalemate. According to the map, this had to be the factory.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Jim noticed a slight depression in the ground, as if sand had been disturbed not long ago there. Looking further he could see that there were quite a lot of those around, but none closer than about five foot.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

"... I see depressions in the ground, as if the sand has been disturbed recently. I'm afraid that means there's Kungian Barking Clams under the sand."

"Uh... does anyone know enough about clams to know for sure whether or not the clams necessarily make those depressions? Because, if there are no clams anywhere those depressions aren't, we might just try not stepping on the depressions."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

Lael studies the depressions for a while and thinks hard about the exploding clams and comes to several, what she feels like, are good estimations for how they work. Then she says, "Let's see if this works. Please let me know if you spot any I've missed." and begins launching her astral fists at the clams to set them off and hopefully shove them a bit before they explode so their cone of explosion and shrapnel points away from the group.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting force bolt at all the clams she's aware of/others point out to her in a larger than necessary path to the smaller door.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

It took a while to actually hit the hidden shells, but when Lael finally did, a loud bang and a fine shower of sand errupted. A moment later the shell fragments rained down. All the fragments looked like miniature clams themselves - fractales that in time could grow into their own explosive shell.
    Exploding the shells at distance was slow and painstakingly so that the sun had already passed its zenit by over two hours before they reached the small door.
    It was made from a dull, silver grey metal that showed no signs of rust. An integrated lock showed only a keyhole and a handle to open the door.

Spoiler: Perception DC 12
    Show

The door is locked and there is a lightning trap inside the keyhole

Thieves tools DC 16 to disarm
    Spoiler: Fail:
    Show
    (8d6)[26] lightning damage in a cone
    DC 16 Dex save for half damage

DC 16 to unlock

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-19 at 04:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim spent the entire time watching the jungle, hoping he doesn't have to deal with anything unpleasant coming to investigate.

When the explosions stopped, he breathed a sigh of relief and stands up, grateful for the rest. (OOC: Jim spends one Hit Dice to regain 4 HP.)

He walks up to the door. "If I know anything about scary wizards with bomb clams..."

Jim eyes the door warily. "Yeah. There's a trap. I think I can disarm it without us getting hurt. Is anyone else more confident?"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim follows to the door and zooms in with his optics on the door.
    “I can assist you with this and I think between the 2 of us we have an 87% chance of opening this door without setting off the trap.”
    “Everyone else might want to stand back just in case”

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous stands off to the side as the experts check out the trap. He keeps a careful eye out for danger.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim and Grim get started on the trap, and manage to disarm it.

"I'm not sure I could have done that without your help. Thanks. Now the lock..."

A pin breaks off in the lock as they're working. "Uh... Okay... what's Plan B?"

He stands back and looks for another way in.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

The door looked stury, but with some time and a lot of raw violence, it likely would be possible to break it down.
    Alternatively there was the large portal to try - and of course scaling the building and looking for an entrance through the roof was also viable.
    More option were also possibly to be found on the sides of the building that were still obscured by foliage.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Looking around at our options,
    "Breaking this door down will take time and be very loud, drawing a lot of unwanted attention. I do not trust that large door, there are only a few things I can theorize that would need a door that large. Jim and Thraseous do you want to check along the jungle side of the building, and Lael would you like to accompany me up to the roof? I can either jump up and throw you a rope or i might just be able to carry you up as I jump."
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-03-22 at 01:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

Lael nods and replies, "I agree. The big door makes me a bit nervous. A rope is fine, I wouldn't want to mess up your balance."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous pulls out his scimitar and gets his shield ready. The fire drake having disappeared back to its realm. Okay we will start going around the building.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Those moving around the factory one Perception DC 16 test

Climbing the rope up is a DC 14 Athletics with advantage

While Grim jumped effortless onto the roof, climbing - even with a knotted rope - was a strenous activity.

Meanwhile Jim and Thraseous went into the foliage, following the smooth walls. Immediately it became cooler and a lot darker...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After leaping straight up on the roof Grim pulls out his rope and throws it down to Lael. As he holds the rope he looks around to start assessing entry options (perception 9 )

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll feel bad if they went to all that effort, and it turns out there's a better entrance down here..."

(1d20+4)[11] for Perception.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

With the help of the rope, Lael practically walks up the wall. Seeing Grim look around, she does as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+2)[9]
    if I can do Investigation instead add 7 to the above roll.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Jim and Thraseous moved slowly through the crunching undergrowth. Something about the ground felt funny, but before either of the two could articulate what it was, the ground started to boil and a swarm of tiny creatures - half mole, half shark - erupted around them.

Spoiler
    Show

You stumbled into a Land Piranha hive
    Spoiler: Nature DC 12 check to know more about them
    Show

Large swarm of tiny beasts
    AC 16
    Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
    Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned

Blood Frenzy. The swarm has advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn't have all its hit points.
    Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and it can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny creature. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

Initiative:
    Swarm (1d20+5)[15]
    Jim (1d20+4)[20]
    Thraseous (1d20+3)[23]
    Lael (1d20+4)[24]
    Grim (1d20+1)[15]

On the roof, Lael and Grim noticed the surprisingly, super clean slates of obsidian - as well as the large, 45 degree glas panes in the middle of the rectanglular building.

The noise from Jim and Thraseous was about 40 ft away from them, hidden beneath vegetation.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-23 at 12:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Grim runs over to the edge of the roof in the direction of all the commotion below. Unable to see Jim and Thraseous he throws the rope down into the jungle hoping it is near them, and holds on tight ready to try and lift them up.
    He also uses prestidigitation to conjure the smell of fresh meat 10 feet out into the jungle, to try and distract whatever they had stirred up.
    Last edited by Grimaximus; 2021-03-23 at 11:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Thraseous summons a red drake hoping that these things would be susceptible to fire damage. He orders it to attack.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Lael Liadon
    High Elf "Astrologist"

"You guys should get up here away from the land piranhas, we have an entrance!" Lael calls down to the other two. Then noticing Grim's illusion she send a flying fist to pound the ground near where he made his illusion, to hopefully make it seem more real and more appealing to the toothy swarm.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... thanks! Good idea!"

Jim dashes over to the rope, hoping to get up it quickly enough that Thraesous can follow in short order... but he can't push himself hard enough to make any real headway.

"Uh... crap?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2021-03-25 at 06:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

The diversion seemed to work - at least in part.
    Half the swarm surged away from the two party members and congregated on the ground where the meat smell as well as the force projectiles had hit.

That still left a sizeable part of the swarm that now wanted to find out how Thraseous tasted.

Spoiler
    Show

Swarm attack on Thraseous, but with reduced damage as the swarm is currently at half force.
    Advantage due to Blood Frenzy against opponents that aren't at full hitpoints.

(1d20)[10]/(1d20)[4]+8, damage (3d6)[11], if crit (3d6)[11]

New round, post what you want to do.

But for now they pinged off the thick armor of the ranger.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-25 at 06:47 AM.