New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

tongue OOTS #1228 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1228 - The Discussion Thread

Looks like Serini has been keeping an eye on basically everything that's been going on. Wonder what she knows about the Order, at this point?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I did not know I wanted an art upgrade to the Azure City throne room fight until now.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That was insanely specific. Did Dorukan or Girard have some sort of super-scry set up? Or is it just a coincidence that Miko used his sword?

I'm getting a better handle on Serini now, it feels like a more organic conflict. Will be interesting when the Order gets mentioned.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I did not know I wanted an art upgrade to the Azure City throne room fight until now.
    Miko's fall would be a good scene for such a treatment.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soup du Jour View Post
    Looks like Serini has been keeping an eye on basically everything that's been going on. Wonder what she knows about the Order, at this point?
    Sounds like she definitely has access to scrying and divinations.

But it also sounds like she doesn't have the full information. It sounds like she thinks Xykon is the true threat, when he's not. She doesn't have the information on Hel, or the Dark One.

Cause with Hel's bet, there's no way O'Chul would break the gate. Breaking the gate at this instance has the same effect of Xykon and Redcloak taking the gate; the gods destroy the world and start over.

There is more at stake than Serini realizes.

The question is, do the paladin's know about Hel's gambit? And the godsmoot and the Dark One?

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Serini makes a very sensible point, not just about the paladins, but also the Order. When it comes to preventing Redcloak from taking control of the multivese, or the Snarl from destroying everything, losing the planet may be a better fate.

Then again, considering they may be dooming billions of future planets to destruction by Snarl in the process, that is still a pretty crappy solution compared to actually getting the deal with Redcloak. But neither the paladins nor Serini know that, and when it comes to the battle, they still may prefer that fate over Xykon or Redcloak winning.

So it's impossible to guarantee nobody will want to destroy the gate. The question now is what plan does Serini have in place of that

8. - Top - End - #8

I’d like to say maybe this will shut up arguements about Serini being evil but I’ve been here far too long to expect that, maybe it will slow down though.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Good for Serini, 'no intention' is indeed the kind of thing people say to indicate they should not be trusted.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm starting to really like Serini.

Admittedly, taking the mickey from paladins is like shooting fish in a barrel, but still.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow, Serini reminds me of Yoda, more so in this strip.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Wonder how Serini is getting her information?
    Do love watching paladins squirm under their value system ...
    Thanks Giant!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Serini makes a very sensible point, not just about the paladins, but also the Order. When it comes to preventing Redcloak from taking control of the multivese, or the Snarl from destroying everything, losing the planet may be a better fate.

Then again, considering they may be dooming billions of future planets to destruction by Snarl in the process, that is still a pretty crappy solution compared to actually getting the deal with Redcloak. But neither the paladins nor Serini know that, and when it comes to the battle, they still may prefer that fate over Xykon or Redcloak winning.

So it's impossible to guarantee nobody will want to destroy the gate. The question now is what plan does Serini have in place of that
    Well Roy sounds like he's made the opposite determination O-Chul did in the throne room. He knows this is for keeps, so will strive to avoid being put in that situation. But then the question is how anyone can possibly prove that? By proving they can beat Xykon, I guess.
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

What a schock that Serini had sensible reasons to capture the paladins and was not in fact evil.

Anyways this indicate that Serini will treat the Order much in the same way that she is treating Lien and O-Chul since they are responsible for the destruction of two gates.
    Last edited by fuschiawarrior; 2021-03-08 at 09:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Her take seems very similar to Xykon, when he said that he didn't want to destroy the world, only to dominate it. And she seems to prefer that, and not without a reason: a world dominated by Xykon is still a world where Xykon can be beaten, or where people can maybe hide out of his reach. Hell, Xykon and RC are so powerful that to some extent they could already dominate their own country.

One might wonder if she knows that RC true plan is to give the Gate to the DO. But, if she knows, well, mostly the DO wants to renegotiate the goblinoids' place in the world.

So, yes, if X and RC can't be stopped, it makes sense to at least NOT destroying the gates.

Edit: and I see I've been ninjaed by Ninja Dragon (quite ironic!) on this point.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2021-03-08 at 09:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It's stuff like this why I say bonking paladins is good thing just on general principle.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

nice corner you got that paladin in to
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

In another thread, I opined that the whole of War and XP in the new art style would please me to no end. But that's not happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    But it also sounds like she doesn't have the full information.
    It also indicates that she, like Girard, salivates like Pavlov's dog when presented with a Paladin even though her style is different.
    There is more at stake than Serini realizes.
    I suspect that her entire focus is "the world and everything, and everyone, in it" and she has not been cut in on the deity level issues at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I’d like to say maybe this will shut up arguements about Serini being evil but I’ve been here far too long to expect that
    We have a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuschiawarrior View Post
    What a schock that Serini had sensible reasons to capture the paladins and was not in fact evil.
    Sensible from her point of view, and considering what she does know, but not what she doesn't.
    (EDIT: I keep spelling things wrongly )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-03-08 at 09:40 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

So she's aware of the fight at Azure City, and totally unaware of the Godsmoot?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    It's stuff like this why I say bonking paladins is good thing just on general principle.
    I think you just hate paladins.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Good for Serini, 'no intention' is indeed the kind of thing people say to indicate they should not be trusted.
    What? No. Saying you don't intend to do a thing is just a way of being honest that you haven't ruled it out but aren't going into a situation with it on your list if initially acceptable ideas.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soup du Jour View Post
    Nope

She missed the Godsmoot

Since, unless I'm totally missing the boat, the Gods will be destroying the world if Xykon gets near to controlling it.

The Paladins are a possibility of doom, failure to stop Xykon is a certainty.

No?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As are the vast majority of people in OoTS land. (Wrecan's point on the secret mission)
    I think more people are aware of what happened at the Godsmoot, than are aware of how the Azure City Gate was destroyed.

I also find it amusing that Girard had a serious stick up his backside about "each of us will leave the other alone", and here Sirini was clearly violating that rule
    Last edited by GregTD; 2021-03-08 at 01:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    As are the vast majority of people in OoTS land. (Wrecan's point on the secret mission)

The Paladins are a possibility of doom, failure to stop Xykon is a certainty.
    Nice way of putting that.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-03-08 at 09:41 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It is an interesting question: whether or not it's better to let Xykon take control of the final Gate or to blow it up. Clearly, Serini takes the former stance, but I'm not (and I don't think anyone should be) entirely sure she has the right of it. It seems like she does not know much about Redcloak's intentions here and I wonder if that would change her thoughts. The main issue is no one really knows what will happen when the last gate is destroyed. Will the Snarl immediately break loose? It seemed content to chill when the rifts were originally opening, but there's clearly something lurking in the Western gate.

Of course, this will all be moot if the Order destroys the Gate anyway while Serini's distracted.

110% agreed.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Aren't Godsmoots (Godsmeet?) a really secret affair?
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #26

Serini makes a strong case.
    Whether Roy and/or Durkon can convince her otherwise, remains to be seen.

This does raise a question: Does Serini know that V has been attempting to contact her? I am thinking probably not, that she is completely blocked.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I think you just hate paladins.
    I've always suspected I was Chaotic.

28. - Top - End - #28

That throne room was protected from scrying by a spell powerful enough to keep Xykon from looking inside, yet Serini seems to know what happened there.I wonder how she got that information.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A bit confused - is everyone else reading this as Serini having scryed the Azure City events? Because until I came here, I saw this as O-Chul's flashback, reminding us of why he can't take the oath as first offered?

30. - Top - End - #30

But the event of the Godsmoot makes it even more important not to destroy the Gate. As stated by Roy 4 strips ago.

Serini seems to know already that breaking the Gates is a bad idea. I don't get why she seems to think that "cease to exist" (last panel of previous book) is a better option though. Since it would mean that the Snarl got free and destroyed everything.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)