New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Question Liquid cooling a GPU...

Hi MSGT

Before this week I didn't know anything about building computers besides "ground yourself" and "make sure the power supply is unplugged and don't touch it."

Now, after a 20 minute crash course, I am well on my way to building what amounts to a gaming computer with a liquid cooled CPU and a liquid cooled GPU.

Good news, the CPU is ready to go. We are using a Kraken Z73 to cool an intel i9core processor, and it's all hooked up and mounted.

The bad news, I have no idea what to do with this thing---> "GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC WATERFORCE WB 8G"

The Kraken was supposed to be rated specifically for our processor, and though I've searched and scoured unto the second page of DDG, I can't find what that GPU recommends we hook it up to.

Ideally, I could just buy an AIO unit to plug into the preinstalled waterblock.
    I'm okay with using a separate cooling system altogether.

Any suggestions, links, ideas, or comments?

Thank you in advance for your advice =)
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions"

~Director Cedrik - OotS #640

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Liquid cooling a GPU...

It looks like that basically just has a couple of intake/output barbs mounted over a heat spreader - seems to be intended to get looped into a traditional external pump/reservoir/radiator liquid cooling setup. Saves you the work of removing the fans/heat spreader and replacing it with a water cooling block on a standard GPU, but is not in itself sufficient to be a cooling element. I don't think there is an easy all-in-one product that can be connected to that - it won't connect to CPU coolers correctly - although I only did a pretty cursory search. (NZXT does make a product that is basically a replacement sleeve/front caging for the GPU, where you strip off the manufacturer one, install theirs, and then you can mount one of their CPU products to that cage.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I don't think there is an easy all-in-one product that can be connected to that - it won't connect to CPU coolers correctly - although I only did a pretty cursory search.
    Due to the variability of design for graphics cards, there really isn't AFAIK. The manufacturers aren't guaranteed to mount the VRAM the same way as another manufacturer, which would limit the mounting.

So, yeah, the NZXT 'cage' is about the best you'd be able to do with the mess - replace the GPU heatsink with a compatible CPU cooler, then rely on standard high-speed fan blowing over the now naked VRAM chips. If you could somehow manage to find copper passive heat sinks to attach to the VRAM chips, that'd probably work, but it's doubtful you'll get the fan AND the passive heat sinks in play together.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Alrighty then.

In that case, do any of you think there would be a problem with just getting a couple of tubes and a reservoir, and putting the GPU into our existing AIO Kraken Z73 loop?
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions"

~Director Cedrik - OotS #640