New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Tides, Take 3! Entering the Den of the Lotus Dragon...

Akula N'Kuttik "Shark Splitter"

Akula nods to the others in agreement. "Very well, the cult then the trip across the bay. We can find a boat and have it provisioned even as we rid the the Rowyn manor of the the vile priest. The trip to Kraken Cove may let whatever trouble is left behind calm before we return." He listens as they question Rowyn and adds "When is the best time for us to sneak into your manor for this? best that your servants do not see us."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 2 // 2, Init 4,
    HP 18/20,
    Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15,
    CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Unarmed +7 (+5/5) (1d6+5, x2)
    MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +8 (1d8+6, x3) [Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy ]
    Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +7 (touch) (Entangled, CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str,)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P)
    MW Klar
    (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (3/4 remaining): n/a
    Studied Target +1:
    Enlarged (-2 AC, Reach, +1 dam,)

Traits: +1 unarmed damage, +1 Dam vs [Aquatic], +1 hit [Aquatic]

Spells inf / 1/4
    0: Light, Detect Magic, Sift, Guidance, Create Water, Detect Poison
    1st: Divine Favour, Protection From Evil, Nature's Path, Cure Light

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi followed the conversation and made some notes so they knew what to get.
    "I can ask for the remove fear in my own temple," she said, "and I'd like to get a wand of cure light as well, just to be on the safe side."

she looked at Lady Vanderboren.
    "As for a boat, maybe you have something small we can borrow? Large enough for our group, but not much bigger that we need a whole lot of extra crew. A small boat is also easier to conceal."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "How best will we able to get the jump on this cult?" Cordelia asks Lady Rowyn. "Do they sleep? Are there particular schedules they observe? What's the layout of their portion of your estate? Any defenses we should know about?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    [Akula] listens as they question Rowyn and adds "When is the best time for us to sneak into your manor for this? best that your servants do not see us."
    Lady Kellani thinks for a moment before answering. "I don't know - the mortals should sleep, but they're demonologists and insane, so I don't know. They basically never come up out to the outdoors...usually they stay in the dungeons, which you've seen. As for my family staff, most of them lead quite normal lives. My parents try to limit the exposure of their...spiritual advisors with the gong you heard. Only the butler is allowed near the basement stairs when it is rung - everyone else is required to avoid that area once it's been sounded. You might be able to use that, I suppose..."

With a yawn the young woman finishes her conference with the PCs by saying, "I will ensure you are allowed on the grounds, either through the sewers or the main gate. Beyond that I'm going to allow you the freedom to decide how you want to do this. Just be sure it is done, and preferably soon. My freedom depends upon it..."

Lady Kellani doesn't have much more to offer you. If you want to skip any RP for purchasing items, let me know what you buy at standard prices. So far nothing you've discussed is unusual enough that you cannot find it in Sasserine.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Later that evening when the party have reconvened in a pub somewhere Akula looks around the others as he sips a healthy flagon of ale. "So... shall we re-enter from the sewers but this time strike fast as we cross the bridges and raid these scum once we have picked up some supplies."

Looking at the table he taps his spear and then snarls. "I will not be caught lacking this time. We must be prepared for their tricks and strike hard, fast and without mercy. If we purchase supplies in the morning shall we strike tomorrow during the day, they will not expect our return so soon."

Show

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 2 // 2, Init 4,
    HP 18/20,
    MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +8 (1d8+6, x3) [Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy ]
    Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +7 (touch) (Entangled, CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str,)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P)
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects
    Studied Target +1:

Spells inf / 1/4

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar listens thoughtfully before nodding politely at their new patron's words. He keeps his peace for the time being, and before long ushers his companions into the streets to begin acquiring the potions and scrolls to be better prepared the next time.

Later that day, he speaks frankly, if in hushed tones, over a mug of frothy beer. "I think first thing in the morning, we enter through the front gates. It will be good for us to be seen, and to act above board in as many ways as are possible. Unless we're worried about hiding our involvement in this specific affair from Rowyn's mother, we do ourselves no favors by hiding our connections to the family. In the long run, I doubt it will be sustainable, regardless, so we might as well air it out now, eh? It's poor leverage, but it's not none..."

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi had gone to the temple of Procan to get some of the items they had identified as needed and while she hadn't managed to get a discount, she had managed to get them to make those as a rush job.

"Here I am," she said as she entered the inn they had agreed to use as base for now, "the wand, the potions and scrolls of remove fear will be ready tomorrow morning."

She listened to the others.
    "I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go inside through the main gate for this," she said, "we might have to do certain things and I'd rather not have the guard show up at our door. I think it's best to go from the basement again and to rush a bit. We also know that way."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Cordelia thinks about the decision for a few moments, stroking kitten between her ears as she does so.

"I think Tillandi's right," she concludes. "Better not to be too obvious if we can avoid it. And we will have a better idea of the route as well if we start down there."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Akula listens and then nods in agreement. "Aye, by Procan's tines we should sneak in through the basement. Even if we are doing a service to the city by killing this priest and his demonic minions the Kellani have influence and we best not risk having to kill regular house guards." At the mention of the potions and scrolls being available he grins "Excellent, should the luck of the Gods fail us hopefully these potions can help preserve us."

Tapping the harpoon he nods to himself, "We shall be ready now..."

Show

HP 18/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects
    Studied Target +1:

Spells inf / 1/4

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"So I think it's best we have a good dinner and a good night sleep," Tillandi said, "and then we pick up the scrolls and potions and stuff tomorrow and move back in. Hopefully they won't expect us back this fast."

10. - Top - End - #490

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map
    Show

After spending a largely uneventful night and the morning collecting new equipment, the party makes their way back underground to the entrance to the Kellani manor from the sewers. They arrive without incident in the first room with it's multiple levels and various doors. This time, however, there are no (immediately visible) guards of any kind, nor is the room lit. The party remembers the layout well enough to know how to get back to the demonic cult's area, so they arrange themselves accordingly.

I've provided a blank map (above) and placed your tokens in an order that seems reasonable. Please confirm the marching order and give me the actions, including buffs, you apply. If you intend to search rooms again or go a different way, also let me know.

It seems likely that Firi'Sar will take the lead - by how much distance? Please be specific about how you approach, as I understand you want to surprise the enemy this time, but they have their own options for defenses too...

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar shudders reflexively as the party returns to the dungeons. "Alright, this is as far as I want to go without some preparation," he murmurs. With a few moments uninterrupted focus, he both casts a spell to grant him protection and memorizes a new spell in its place. He murmurs a few more incantations, and suddenly his words appear in his companions ears.

"Now, then. One more thing..." he gulps down an extract, and his already darkness-adjusted eyes widen a bit further. His pointed ears seem to broaden and he smiles widely. "Phenomenal. I don't need light, so give me several paces head start- at least 30 feet. Be ready for anything."

Finally, after drawing up his aura sight, he turns his attention to the door leading into the dungeon in earnest. "I'll take a moment to look over what I've already seen, and double back when I need to to re-cast detect magic safely. Let's go."

Firi'Sar steps out with purpose, pausing at the door, the pit trap, and every reasonable place to mount a new tripwire, peering intently for mundane threats and trusting his spell to warn him of magical ones.

Show
    Going to use Quick study to cast mage armor before swapping it out for something else. Also going to down a heightened awareness extract and cast message. We'll be moving slowly, verifying traps he knows and looking for new ones.
    Spoiler: Current stat block
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    Male NG Elf Swash 1, Empiricist 2//Arcanist 3, Level 3//3, Init 10, HP 19/19, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 7, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Rapier (MW) +8 (1d6+4, 18-20, x2)
    Rapier (cold iron) +7 (1d6+4) 18-20, x2)
    Light crossbow (20 bolts) +6 (1d8, 19-20, x2)
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition Lightbringer: +1 CL for light related spells
    Panache: 6/6
    Inspiration: 5/5
    Arcane Reservoir: 3/5
    Extracts & Spells (See list https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2377717)

Mage Armor: ~3 hours, +4 AC
    Heightened Awareness: ~20 minutes, +2 perception, knowledge

(1d20+19)[28] perception (+1 more for traps)
    (1d20+14)[15] disable device, as it becomes necessary
    (1d20+12)[30] stealth

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Good idea," Tillandi whispered back. They might have reactivated their defenses and added a few extra ones as well, so caution was good. She would take the last position again, guarding the rear and ready to throw some spells around.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=DrK;25473827]

Akula looked about the dank sewers unhappily, the filth filled tunnels never pleasant. Even worse as he gazed at the effluence he knew it was flowing into the sea poisoning Procan's Waters. Getting his focus back he looks to the others as they approach the entrance to the vaults. "Please my fellows, let me bless with your bravery of the Killer Whale. Procan's most beloved animal" as he sketches a trident on each person's head to fill their hearts with courage. That said he mutters a blessing on himself as his skin glistens with moisture as a warding against evil settles on him

"I will follow you Firii'Sar" he mutters as he lets the small elf get a short distance ahead and then starts padding softly after him, harpoon and net in hand.

Show

Using valour inquisition: Cast remove fear on each person lasting 30 minutes
    Cast Protection from evil on Self

perception (1d20+9)[17]
    stealth (1d20+5)[6]

HP 18/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (4/4 remaining): n/a

Spells inf / 3/4 remaining

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Before everyone continues further inside, Cordelia cleans them all off with prestidigitation.

"There, now we're ready", Cordelia confirms, bringing up the rear with Kitten beside her

15. - Top - End - #495

NecromancerGuy

The party begins their careful approach, magical enhancements active with eyes and ears tuned to danger. It appears their (relative) haste has paid off. The pit trap was restored to working order - Firi'Sar easily disables it so they can cross - but they have not replaced the undead guardians the party dispatched previously. No new traps or alarms appear until Firi'Sar gets to the closed, secret door the party found last time. Past here lies the larger room with the shallow ravine down the middle, where they first encountered the invisible quasit that alarmed the cult to their presence.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Planes) DC 15
    Show
    Demons, as members of the greater group of extra-planar creatures known as outsiders, do not need to eat or sleep. Some do, including lazy, low-in-power demons, such as a quasit, when they wish. However, there is no way to know for sure if the specific quasit encountered last time sleeps. They all can, though, so there is a chance.

Firi'Sar finds no aura - a tell-tale sign of a magic Alarm spell. If the cult is still using their demon quasit as a guard, there is a good chance the party will encounter it past this door.

So far the party has spent about five minutes getting here. I recommend you not cast any 3-minute-long buffs prior to this point...

The map is essentially unchanged. How do you want to deal with the possibility of an invisible quasit guard on the other side of this door?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"So here it went downhill last time," Tillandi said, looking at the closed door, "what now? That little demon could still be there and in fact, if the undead are not yet replaced, it most likely will be."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

"Not much to be done for that, I'm afraid," the lithe Elf responds. "We just have to be ready to start things now- and press the issue if they're not lying in wait."

He silently withdraws a vial from his many pockets, and raises it in mock toast. "Now or never, friends. I'll try to surprise him, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, were I you." Firi'Sar drinks the contents and rapidly shrinks in size. Now needing markedly less space to slip through an open door, he begins to carefully press his way through.

Show
    Drinking reduce person and using stealth to hopefully sneak in. Holding glitter dust scroll in empty hand.

Copied for easy access Stealth: 30, Perception 25
    Spoiler: Current stat block
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    Male NG Elf Swash 1, Empiricist 2//Arcanist 3, Level 3//3, Init 10, HP 19/19, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Rapier (MW) +10 (1d4+5, 18-20, x2)
    Rapier (cold iron) +9 (1d4+5) 18-20, x2)
    Light crossbow (20 bolts) +8 (1d6, 19-20, x2)
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size)
    Abilities Str 5, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10

Mage Armor: ~2 hours 55 minutes, +4 AC
    Heightened Awareness: ~15 minutes, +2 perception, knowledge
    Reduce person: ~3 minutes

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi stood ready, but she would wait until Fri'Sar had done the recon, as she wasn't really stealthy at all.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Akula nods to Firi’Sar waiting to move if the elf spies anything. Like the others he is wary of if that small invisible demon is lurking once more but with Procan’s blessing is feeling emboldened this time and less fearful than he did last time

Watching the elf shrink he clutches the harpoon tightly as utters a prayer to Procan as he waits for the elf to report back. The only thing he does as he watches is to attune himself to magical auras and seek any magical traps or alarms

Show

Cast detect magic

HP 18/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects

Spells inf / 4/4 remaining

20. - Top - End - #500

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map
    Show

With a stealthiness that would make most halflings admire him, Firi'Sar slips through the secret door and into the pitch-black cavern. With the door only barely cracked behind him, the light doesn't spill into the space and the shrunken elf begins to creep into the ravine-dominated room. He finds it much as he remembers it - full of unpleasant smells, the skeletal partial-remains of the dead, and an odd mix of finished stone and raw cavern walls. No alarm is sounded as Firi'Sar enters, but he also doesn't see the little flying demon...at first.

The little monster is nestled lazily in a crook about ten feet off the floor on the western wall. It's nearly completely still - only a silent flicker of its tiny barbed tail gives it away as the elf watches it. So far it hasn't appeared to notice Firi'Sar, though it's small enough that it's difficult to see where it is looking from where the elf is.

So far so good - the map is accurate to the best of my ability to interpret your actions. The quasit is in square C8. Every round I need a stealth check until Firi'Sar makes himself known by attacking, casting a spell, activating a scroll, etc. Anyone else could also barge in, of course.

What do you do now?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

"He's here!" Firi'Sar whispers through the magical conduit. "I'll make him visible, go now!"

Without further warning, he begins reading the scroll to illuminate the quasit.

Show
    As mentioned, Firi'Sar was essentially hoping for this exact outcome. He'll stand in a place to intervene if the Quasit tries to flee, but task #1 is glitter dust the little bugger, with the scroll.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as Fri'Sar begins to read the scroll, Tillandi steps in the room, bow ready as she guesses the little critter will take flight like last time and if she can see it, she can shoot it.

Spoiler: OOC round surprise
    Show

move just into the room
    ready action: if he becomes visible to me, I'll shoot: (1d20+4)[16] for damage: (1d8+1)[6]

23. - Top - End - #503

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map, end of Surprise Round
    Show

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    No one has put up round 1 actions, so I'm going to do the surprise round and the Quasit's initiative (it got a "10"). Everyone except DrK needs to roll initiative.
    Firi'Sar activates his scroll of Glitterdust. The quasit passes it's save and is not blinded.
    The rest of the party moves into the room.

Anyone who beats a 10 on initiative can post an action. The Quasit is still flat-footed until it's action on Round 1, Initiative 10.

In a moment Firi'Sar coats the demon with sparkling motes of dust, making it easily visible in the dark room. It appears to have blinked at just the right time, as it turns and sees Firi'Sar (but is too surprised to react yet). The rest of the party moves into the room, intent on removing the threat of alarm...

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

"Kitten, kill!" Cordelia commands as she moves up to the base of the rocky pillar by the bridge, hitting the little devil with a mental assault as she goes. Kitten covers the short (for a leopard) distance to the imp almost immediately, easily leaping the chasm and scaling the wall to get at the annoying foe!

Spoiler
    Show

Cordelia move to G7
    Mind Thrust (3d6)[12] psychic damage, WILL DC14 for half

Kitten charge (1d20+11)[22] (1d4+1)[3] plus trip (1d20+11)[28]

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Grinning wickedly, Firi'Sar dashes forward. Cold iron blade glinting as his companions bring in sources of light, the cunning Elf charges forward with death in his eyes.

Spoiler: Firi'Sar round 1
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size)

29 init rolled OOC

Move and attack!
    (1d20+9)[28] cold iron rapier
    (1d20+9)[11] CC (27+, x2)
    (1d4+5)[8] crit bonus
    (1d4+5)[9] crit damage

If the attack is 12-15, use two shots of inspiration for +(1d6)[1] to-hit

potential AoO:
    (1d20+9)[21] cold iron rapier
    (1d20+9)[28] CC (27+, x2)
    (1d4+5)[8] crit bonus
    (1d4+5)[6] crit damage

26. - Top - End - #506

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map, end of Surprise Round
    Show

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cordelia moves and uses Mind Thrust. The Quasit passes it's save, taking 6 damage.
    Kitten charges (I'm not too concerned with this mechanically, cause she would connect anyway, but I am not convinced she could charge, in spite of her high speed and climb speed - would like to confirm this for future cases, when you can make the time, RCgothic) and bites the quasit, dealing 3 damage (reduced to 0 by it's Damage Reduction). Kitten's trip attempt doesn't really work, as the demon just flies up and away.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, from the section on Combat and the Trip Combat Maneuver
    Some creatures—such as oozes, creatures without legs, and flying creatures—cannot be tripped.
    Firi'Sar moves and stabs the Quasit, but does not confirm the critical strike, dealing 8 damage.

The Quasit calls out the alarm and tries to fly away down the southern hallway. It's retreat incurs two AoOs, one from Kitten and one from Firi'Sar. Firi'Sar's AoO hits for another 8 damage, causing it to fall unconscious at negative HPs.

The demonic guardian has a bad time as it is assaulted by Cordelia's psychic power, Kittens (ineffectual, but distracting) claws, and Firi'Sar's rapier. As the cold iron bites into it's flesh the creature screams in terror and cries out, "Help! We're under attack! Cold iron! Help!!" As it tries to fly away Firi'Sar contemptuously flicks his blade, stabbing it again and leaving the vile monster bleeding out on the cavern floor.

There's no audible response, yet, but the alarm has been sounded...

Begin what we will call Round 2!

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as the little demon flights up, Tillandi runs forward, but she doesn't have to do something. She keeps running, over the bridge.
    "Best to keep moving now," she said.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

Move forward, just over the bridge is possible for me I think.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-07-06 at 10:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

"Take up defenses, here now!" Firi'Sar takes a moment, since he's already across the bridge, to retrieve and drink a protective extract. "Let's make sure it goes better this time," he murmurs.

Spoiler: Firi'Sar round 2
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    AC 24, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Mage Armor, Shield of Faith potion, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size, +4 shield)

Remove Fear: +4 saves vs fear, ~ 5 minutes remaining
    Drink Shield extract: +4 shield bonus to AC, 20 rounds

retrieve shield of faith potion

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Watching the imp fall Akula smiles and then lumbers forward, his massive webbed feet in their clunky boots not the most agile as he hastens after the party wanting to clear the bridge before more enemies arrive

Show

Double move to D7

HP 18/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects

Spells inf / 4/4 remaining

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think we should fight here again," Cordelia says, calling kitten back to heal. "We should push on in case we lose the initiative again."