New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Tides, Take 3! Entering the Den of the Lotus Dragon...

"Look Kitten! A cuddly spider!" Cordelia coos, passing one of the stuffed arachnids to her companion who holds it in her mouth gently with a look of smug satisfaction.

"I don't know," Cordelia hesitates. "Is there any evidence she went that way? Or could the thieves have just have lied to us that she was here, counting on us finding this passage in order to get us out of the way? And if she did go that way she probably has quite a lead on us already. I'm not sure we'd catch her before she goes to ground. Shouldn't we clear out the rest of this complex to make sure we've fully rolled up their operation first?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Akula N'Kuttik "Shark Splitter"

Smiling toothily at the cat playing wit the stuffed spider Akula nods at Cordelia, his eyes lingering for a second longer than they should. "Can we jam door? Stop her sneaking back in or stop others getting out?" he asks the others looking at the secret door. Then checking his weapons and retying the barbed net neatly he nods to the young eco warrior. "I'm ready. It will be good to drive all these vermin from their sea cave. Some of the ixititachi escaped as well, blood vengeance cannot be forgotten..." he adds, his voice harsher towards the end. Clearly if they are scouring the facility the manta-folk would be back on his list

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 2 // 2, Init 4,
    HP 15/20,
    Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15,
    CMD 18, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Unarmed +7 (+5/5) (1d6+5, x2)
    MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +8 (1d8+6, x3) [Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy ]
    Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +7 (touch) (Entangled, CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str,)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P)
    MW Klar
    (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (3/4 remaining): n/a
    Studied Target +1: n/a

Traits: +1 unarmed damage, +1 Dam vs [Aquatic], +1 hit [Aquatic]

Spells
    0: Light, Detect Magic, Sift, Guidance, Create Water
    1st: Divine Favour, Protection From Evil, Nature's Path

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think we best finish up here first," Tillandi added, smiling at Kitten playing with the toys, "and before we head into that cave to get those ixititachi, we need to find a way for the rest of us to be able to move and breathe underwater. Or it's going to be a very short fight."
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-06-05 at 12:36 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar nods at Akula. "I can certainly try. We can also probably move a bunch of furniture in the way..." Without waiting for more input, he closes the secret door and begins sabotaging the mechanism. That done, he points to the four-poster bed. "Give me a hand?"

Before long, the door is as broken and barricaded as it will easily become, and Firi'Sar wipes his hands clean on the fine sheets. "Not sure how good I feel about staying down here longer than we have to, but I suppose there might be answers to find amongst the rabble." He glances around the room once more, double-checking their work, giving himself another opportunity to notice evidence he missed before, and verifying his companion's intentions.

Show
    Disable device on the secret door: (1d20+12)[26]
    gonna cast detect magic, since I forgot to mention that earlier. Looking throughout all three rooms again, with it active: (1d20+9)[25] perception

returning to the lair, assuming nothing noteworthy interrupts that action.
    (1d20+11)[12] stealth (includes dimdweller)
    (1d20+11)[25] perception (ditto)

Finally, he shoulders into his pack once more, checks the straps for snugness and draws his blade. "Give me a few paces again. Still don't mind the dark any." Without further explanation, he exits the apartment through the front door, listening carefully before passing through any doorways, and returning to the rest of the guild's lair.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The party does what they can to block the secret passage and then turns back towards the rest of the underground complex. Leaving the room with the training dummies, they have a choice - go to the right, back towards the ladder, sea caves, and blocked door...or right towards unexplored portions of the complex. Listening in both directions Firi'Sar hears nothing to the right. To the left he hears nothing, but does smell something like food. Perhaps that direction lay the kitchen and dining room for the Lotus Dragons...

Spoiler: Map so far
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

"Well we couldn't make progress to the right..." Cordelia comments, indicating left. Kitten pads along beside her, still satisfiedly carrying the stuffed spider.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Akula nods in agreement with the soft spoken Cordelia, "I agree, left, where food is made we can see an idea of their numbers. Then we can remove the vermin infesting this place." he says the latter with a grim face and clutches the harpoon tightly. Then looks carefully to the left and starts slowly padding down the corridor alert to danger. Pausing at each corner he opens up his senses feeling out for evil as looks for trouble

Show

Casting Detect evil and using that as a sonar as we move forward toward the corner and the doors.

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 2 // 2, Init 4,
    HP 15/20,
    MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +8 (1d8+6, x3) [Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy ]
    Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +7 (touch) (Entangled, CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str,)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P)
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects

Spells

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sure, why not," Tillandi said, taking her place at the back of the pack again.
    "Is she going to keep lugging that stuffed toy around," she asked Cordelia softly when they were moving again.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Dee looks at Tillandi, then at Kitten, then back to Tillandi.

"Maybe," she replies. "I thought it would be funny to give her one of the toys. She seems to like it."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Not a problem for me," Tillandi said, before she thought about something, "have we checked inside the stuffed toys for anything interesting. She could keep some nice gems sewn into them. Or her poison collection."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar nods his agreement before prowling into the darkness to the left.

Show
    stealth and perception rolled in last post. Obviously DarkOne and I are both busy. My kiddo has been difficult recently, and has a fever today (which means no day care for the rest of the week) Sorry for the lame post.

12. - Top - End - #162

NecromancerGuy

The party slinks towards the Lotus Dragon mess hall, with Firi'Sar in the lead. The room is well lit, with a long banquest table filling the room that leaves very little clearance on either side. Opposite the passageway down which the party walks is a large cage filled with listless tropical birds on a stand. To the left and right are additional doors.

Firi'Sar notes that the smell of something cooking comes from the door to the left. There is also another smell down that way...something off. It doesn't take the elf more than a couple of breaths before he realizes what else he smells from the (presumed) kitchen - poison is prepared that way.

There's nothing to be heard from the door to the right. It is closed but not locked - a quick peek through finds another couple of doors. One door opens to a small cloak closet, full of assorted rain jackets and other cloaks. The other opens to a dark hallway that goes off both to the left and right into darkness...

No combat and no traps so far. I took a bit of liberty, rather than have you all wait on me to open more doors. Going further up or down involve new risks, so I want to let you all post responses so far.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi has a closer look at the tropical birds, checking to see if they need something, like food or water. Or maybe to be let out as this was not a place for birds.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmm," Firi'Sar purrs, eyes distant. "There's a lab down there- that's not all food smells. Might be worth ransacking it, in a number of ways...." He notices Tillandi's attention and calls out. "Not sure we can deal with that now. It'd be a right mess to set them loose, and I'm not even sure they could find their way out. Come back for them after, if it suits you."

"Let's check out the lab," he suggests, nodding towards the door to the south.

Show
    If anyone seconds, Firi'Sar will lead the way again:
    (1d20+9)[24] perception (+1 for traps)
    (1d20+9)[28] stealth
    (1d20+12)[13] disable device, if applicable.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll just give them some food and water," Tillandi said, before she thought of something, "If there's a lab down here, can any of you see if they have been used to experiment on?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Here, I know a little about birds. I'll help with them," Dee says, moving up next to Tillandi.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature (1d20+20)[38] (should have been +7. Rolled 18 so [25]).
    Wild Empathy (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-14 at 04:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

NecromancerGuy

As the adventurers approach the caged birds they see that they are not in poor health, but neither are they particularly cheerful. The birds are about to begin making quite the ruckus when Cordelia soothes them, keeping the noise to a minimum. It is clear they would like to be freed, but such an effort will probably require the PCs to take the cage to the surface to release them there.

Firi'Sar approaches the door and finds it trapped with a simple catapult trap. It's likely that there is a pot of some kind on the other side, ready to be flung at the door opening. With the awareness of the risk, he can open the door with a significant bonus to avoid it, but he was not able to disarm the pull-string that would cause it to fly when sprung...

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Shhh shhh," Cordelia consoles, quieting the birds. "We'll let you it when we've cleared this place," she promises, before retreating away from the trapped door with Kitten in tow.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi doesn't have much experience with traps, so she keeps well away and lets the experts do their thing, ready to attack or defend should something come out.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Frowning in irritation, Firi'Sar warns his allies. "This will be messy, and possibly painful. Best you all stand back. Well back." He then positions himself mostly behind the door, and carefully ties a bit of twine to the latch. He steps back as far as he can, before tugging sharply on the string, hoping to send the pot flying through the empty space where a less observant man might have been standing.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi stays back, but tries to stand so that she can see through the door once it's open, bow ready just in case.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Akula watches with quiet amusement, "Can we not simply break this thing?" he asks as we waits and sees how Far'Sir plans to disarm it more carefully. "You have skills gained from somewhere interesting friend..." he mutters wondering where the elf learned such nefarious skills.
    Aside from that he waits and watches for the elf to disamr the trap and readies to leap into the door to see what is behind.

Show

Casting Detect evil and using that as a sonar as we move forward toward the corner and the doors.

HP 15/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects

Spells

23. - Top - End - #173

NecromancerGuy

Firi'Sar's efforts to carefully avoid the expected trap prove to be worthwhile in the instant the door opens, as a full cauldron of pungent, boiling hot liquid splashes out from the portal, narrowly missing the elf and making quite the smelly mess where he was standing. Moments later the liquid has spread out enough to not be dangerous and the elf's nose confirms that poison has been percolating in the pot.

Through the doorway is a battered wooden table, its surface covered with knives, pots, and other cooking implements. A fireplace to the south keeps the room relatively dry, though a bit smoky. Firi'Sar notes a bent length of iron leading to a cracked door (one of two) that probably sent the cauldron's contents cascading towards him. The other door is open, displaying a pantry clogged with crates, barrels, and sacks of grain.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

"Give me a few moments," Firi'Sar murmurs, carefully picking his way past the dregs of the steaming liquid. "That could have gone much worse, but somewhat better, too. Not much to be done with all this spilled poison. It could, perhaps, have been valuable in one of several ways." He shrugs, noting the cost as sunk, and carefully prowls into the little lab.

Show
    (1d20+9)[20] perception. Not sure what else might apply, as he's looking for things of value and/or generally useful info: the nature of the poisons, possible antidote materials, etc.

(1d20+11)[24] craft(alchemy)
    (1d20)[2] generic extra. See mods here.

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

Firi'Sar immediately hears what sound like frightened, dog- or lizard-like whimpers coming from the mostly-closed door further in the kitchen. Something is in there, and from the looks of things sprung the trap when he opened the door...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi waited until it was safe to follow and then did so, quickly checking the poison to see if she could determine which one it was. If they had cauldrons of the stuff, they were almost certain to see it come up more.
    "Anything further," she asked.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

"Why would they put a poison trap in the kitchen?" Cordelia asks aghast. "Food gets prepared in here!"

She tiptoes past the poison on the ground, gesturing for Kitten to stay put in the main room. She hasn't heard the whimpers from deeper in the suite just yet.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"I am not scared of a cook..." Akula mutters as they discover the trap has been sprung. Advancing purposefully he strides into the room, ready for action and attacks the net and harpoon ready. "Any in here, speak out, if you will not attack we mean no harm." He offers as he advances.

Show

HP 15/20,
    MW Klar

Condition/Effects

Spells

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh," Firi'Sar mutters. "Dee, it sounds to me like some animal whimpering back here. Can you come assist? Wildlife isn't my forte, as it were..." He prowls towards the door carefully, prepared to help defend his companion, but gesturing for her to listen and advance as she chooses.

30. - Top - End - #180

NecromancerGuy

"Nooooo! Don't come inside! Please, don't hurt Churtle!" comes a high-pitched voice from further inside, crying as if in pain or abject terror at the approach of the PCs. "Yes! Churtle just cook - not scary - leave alone!" From the closed door a small, green, reptilian head peeks out, before suddenly disappearing back inside. Apparently the figure tries to slam the door shut, but it hits the bent metal rod and bounces open, revealing a small room covered in a layer of sand and countless seashells. A small hammock hangs from hooks driven into the walls to the southeast, just above a heap of blankets and cushions. A small tail, probably attached to the head glimpsed a moment ago, disappears under the blankets as they move slightly, the voice whimpering in fear again and crying quietly...