New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Domains of Shadow: Requesting Analysis and Criticism

Domains of Shadow is Tabletop Roleplaying System that was specifically designed to create stories that would be streamed to a larger audience. It was based on some observations I had while playing in and watching actual plays for other TTRPSs, where I recognized potential in them to become a professional form of the theatre arts. Thus, Domains of Shadow is intended to avoid the need for excessively long amounts of time to tell a complex story, frequent out-of-character talk, and an awkward flow due to a focus on minute details, all of which have a tendency to show up in other systems and make them unenjoyable to a large audience. To serve these ends, Domains of Shadow has a focus on cinematic pacing, dramatic effect, player agency, and streamlined rules. As the name implies, the system is oriented towards the genres of traditional 19th Century Gothic Horror and Shakespearean Tragedy.

I do not plan on making a profit of off this system and will be giving everyone free access to it. Here is a link to the fourth draft of the Guidebook. Here is a Changelog documenting all the differences between drafts. And here is the Character Sheet.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the flaws in this system and how it can be improved. Any kind of analysis or criticism you have are appreciated. I want this to be a well made system that will serve its intended purpose, so negative criticisms and comments on what could be improved are especially valued. When giving analysis, please keep in mind that Domains of Shadow is meant to tell stories that would be streamed. Building a dramatic and interesting story is its main goal, and competition and strategy are barely a concern in this system at all.

If you wish to actually play some sessions on this system over the next few months, you can join the following Discord Server. Criticism from people who haven't played the game is just as welcome as well, though.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2021-03-14 at 10:40 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Domains of Shadow: Requesting Analysis and Criticism

The second draft of this guidebook has just been released! The only major change to the document is the addition of artwork, but that does a lot to change the feel of the guidebook.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The third draft of the Guidebook has been released. It has been restructured as a pdf and some confusing elements of the rules have been clarified, among other changes.
    -

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The Fourth Draft of the Domains of Shadow Guidebook is ready! This one includes some sweeping changes in formatting, phrasing, combat, and the role of the game-master. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yqv...ew?usp=sharing
    -