New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Tyranny of Dragons (5e Campaign)- IC

Velaz looked right at Doc as he explained how hopelessly outmatched they were and the in response the tiefling would simply walk towards him. And gentle hand would come to rest on his shoulder and Velaz would give him a kind smile. "It'll be okay Doc. I'm not going down there to fight off the dragon, I know I can't do that and I wouldn't ask you to either. But the people down there need help, and that is something I can do. Something I'm going to do. So please stay safe," Velaz would finish with another reassuring smile and pat on Doc's shoulder.

"I think you might be right Arioch, why don't you and Sasha head that way. I'll start over there and work my way through those buildings back towards you," Velaz added with a point to the western side of the town. "Be careful everyone," Velaz would add before starting off towards the west side of town.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"But the dragon isn't slaughtering anyone," Narunir comments from the dark shadows of sundown. And as the group looks on they see that the drow is correct. It slowly makes two long sweeps around the keep barely flapping its wings as it circles above the burning buildings. "Its using the heat and updrafts. It almost looks... lazy."

The sun is finally all the way down, but the group can still see people (and families) fleeing up the road in their direction. The drow places a dark hand on his chin lost in thought. "And I wander how those fires started, that type of dragon isn't know to breath fire."

Staff in hand the wizard starts to follow the others although his eyes never stray far from the wheeling beast.

Spoiler: Out of Game
    Show
    TheNotoriousSMP hasn't been online in a couple days, I hope everything is ok. I'll NPC Narunir a bit and hope he's back before things get crazy.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Sasha moves to meet with the people-she has her shield ready, but keeps her hammer low. Once she's close enough to speak without shouting, she calls over, saying "We are not your enemy. We are travelers, and we want to help. What happened?"
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A middle-aged woman helping an elderly gentlemen navigate the runts in the road *Gasps* when she notices the armed and armored woman before her. "Bandits, tis bandits what be sacking and burning our town," she says in anger. "A hundred if there be one. And they ain't alone. Got little dog-men with them too. And that big blue beast!"

"Now Naya," the old man's voice cuts in kindly. "You'll get us all killed talking so much out here in the open.Let's get off the road, and then you can fill them in on what happened."
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-06 at 02:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lord Arioch of Tar-Valon, Baron of Iriaebor
    AC: 18 | HP: 13 | CURRENT: 13 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14| PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Arioch shook his head, "No mere bandits m'lady," he addressed the woman, Naya it seemed, "ne'er have I heard of common bandits being employed as troops for one such as he," with a glance of his eyes, he indicated the circlig great blue dragon, spewing lightning from the sky. "Now, tell me quick, who oversees the keep up yonder?" He pointed his sword to the walled keep on the hill so the pair knew of which he spoke.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    [b]OOC:[/] Arioch is being cautious, keeping his eyes skyward to see where the dragon is, in relation to ourselves, and also scanning the roads, buildings and alleyways for survivors or attackers alike. I can't roll perception as I edited this comment in, so feel free to roll for me if required.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-06 at 03:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The group gathers near the two townsfolk and the woman, Naya, looks a little more confident as she speaks. "Tis a newer lord what only been 'ere since last summer." she says in answer to Airoch's question. "Nighthill he be. Good and true. Wha' not deserve'n this."

As the group steps off the road to let a group of four farmfolk by, the dragon lets out a roar, but seems to be quite happy just circling the town.

From the road it is hard to see in the dark. But near the burning builds the group can see armed men running in small groups, before disappearing out of sight. "They came out of the south. A mass of bandits in black leathers with weapons drawn." Naya starts her story. "A crier came out of the keep callin' the milita men to take up arms and form up. I saw Lord Nighthill charge out of the keep me self. Rousing the men and joining them astride his horse. They were all standing fast as them evil men screamed and ran towards them. None looked to the sky." She bows her head sadly. A shiver runs through her body as she remembers. "Then a great bolt of lightning struck through the ranks of the men. It was so bright. A white flash that, made me look away it was so bright." The old man pats her hand gently. "It was the cheering what made me look back. The bandits reached the men who had the toughest time of it fighting and retreating fighting and scattering as the dragon flew over them."

She looks back to the town then down at the old farmer holding her hand,"We have to go," she suddenly stammers. "They'll kill us all. We need to run!" Naya's eyes are wide as she casts about looking like a scared child needing a place to hide.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-06 at 05:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

"We will keep uou safe-you have my word," Sasha declares. "Is the keep still safe? Or should you flee to the wilderness?"

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A concern look crosses Naya's face "I don't know," she says looking back towards Greenest.

OOG: Everyone's passive Insight is high enough to tell that the dragon is wary of the keep.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Arioch, concerned that terror had overcome the woman, turned to her companion. "We go to the keep," he looked to his companions too, "Lord Nighthill's men will protect them, even though he is afield trying to repel the invaders."

"With haste," he called, "and keep an eye out for any villagers seeking refuge."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-07 at 10:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Despite his urgency, Velaz lingered to at least overhear some of what those already fleeing the town were saying, but he didn't stay for all of the exposition. Velaz instead ran onward towards the west side of town, looking about the burning buildings for any signs of survivors when he got there. He was also keeping his head up and looking for these black leather bound attackers. He tried not to look at the dragon much, keeping his mind on the task at hand.

11. - Top - End - #41

Sasha nods, trusting Arioch. "To the keep-Naya, you know the town better than us. We'll take the fore, but you can guide us through what you think is the safest path."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Doc's eyes narrowed, listening the the womans spiel. "Admittedly, a few bandits and... dog-men? Those sound far more reasonable to fight than a dragon. Let's go."

OOC:Doc is going to hang a bit back from the frontline of our group. He's going ot keep his eyes open for anyone struggling to escape, and once we get near buildings he's going to be listening for cries for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: OOG
    Show
    Just so we are all on the same page. Airoch is leading the townsfolk, Sasha, Doc, and Nanuir towards the keep, and Velaz is going to break off towards the burning side of town.

Even if I'm getting things wrong I'll need Stealth checks from everyone.

Naya (1d20+2)[20]
    Dirk [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-07 at 11:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"I'm in favor of any plan that puts solid stone walls between us and that dragon," Narunir comments, before looking to Doc. "Dog men...Could be kobolds; I've read that they have a tendency to work for dragons. Some even worship them as gods!" Looking at the destruction around them, he has to admit that to the uneducated the difference between a dragon and a god might not be readily apparent.

"Regardless, I'm in agreement. Let's get moving."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Following Naya's directions, Arioch led the group from building to building, pausing at each to call out in a hoarse stage whisper, "We're allies, come to Greenest's defense, we move to Nighthill's keep, come, gather!" Before moving on to the next structure, trying to both identify the group, so straglers did not hide from them as though they were with the raiders.

However, upon seeing Velaz begin to seperate from the group, he curses, "VELAZ! NO! We can't be sure there are survivors in those flames and if you die, who then, will protect those we find here! Concentrate our efforts on the greater good. Stay with us, and I pledge to you, once we have these folks in the safety of the keep I we will venture forth to find as many as we can."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Arioch does not want to split up, however he is no going to stop Velaz if he chooses to go the opposite way, and will continue towards the keep. He's not exatly hiding, but is trying to identify himself to any survivors while keeping the group moving forward. As for stealth checks, if applicable, it's at disadvantage due to heavy armor, (2d2)[1][1](2), no bonus so just take the lowest roll. ROFL! Double 1's, just my luck!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-08 at 09:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[7] Stealth with Disadvantage due to Armor

And Zero, you rolled 2d2. Not 2d20. That's why you got double ones.

Sasha, as she moves as quietly as she knows how to in her armor, talks to Naya and her family. "I know that the situation seems desperate. But we'll get you out of her safely. Focus on the future-because the future WILL come for you."

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The town is aglow in the dark night. As the group approaches they notice families giving them a wide breath as they pass, most ignoring Airoch's hail to follow them to the keep. When the group reaches the first of the outlying buildings they all notice Velaz is missing. But before they can go looking for the teifling...

Without warning, four humans dash out from between two buildings on your left. A limping man, carrying a child wrapped in a blanket, followed closely by two young children race to the shadows of a nearby home. They are followed by a woman, carrying a round shield and a broken spear who turns and faces in the direction from which they just came. Eight yipping kobolds stream out of the alley on the family's heels and fan out around the woman, who looks determined to delay the creatures for as long as possible.
    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show

[IMG][/IMG]

Spoiler: Battle Status
    Show

NAME AC HP LOCATION CONDITION/EFFECTS
    Narunir 13 07 R4
    Sasha 18 13 N3
    Airoch 18 10 M6
    Durmas 14 10 P4

Spoiler: Velaz
    Show

As you approach the first of the fires you see that the home is not ablaze, but the surrounding outbuildings and a haystack are. Smoke fills the area around the front of the home, and there is no sign of life.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Velaz doesn't hear the call of his name, as he moves west of the group to begin searching the already burning side. He raises a sleeve to his face to fight off some of the smoke as he approaches the first building that isn't completely up in flames. Velaz rushes up to one of the windows and peers inside and then another to see if he can see anyone or any flames. Then taking a few steps back he'll cast prestidigitation on the door to try and open if it's unlocked. If it is, Velaz'll run up to the open entrance and call out "Anyone in here?". If he doesn't see anyone through the windows and the door is either locked or nobody answers his call through the open door, Velaz will move on to the next not too badly burning building.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Doc's eyes narrow balefully as the kobolds fan out around the female defender. Taking in the odds, his scowl drops from his face with a smile as he steps out from behind Arioch, and quickly fired his bow at the kobold closest to the woman.

After the arrow fired, he gave a sharp whistle to gain their attention. {Draconic} "Now now, boys. I know you lot are weaklings, but seven against one? That's sad, even for you." He snarked drolly, a sardonic smirk crossing his face.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Doc moving to L4 and is shooting Kobold number 7.
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[7] if he was successfully stealthed and has advantage
    Damage
    (1d6+6)[10]
    (1d6)[4] if I have advantage, I have Sneak Attack
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

INIT Order:

Doc 26
    Odd kobolds 21
    Nanuir 16
    Airoch 15
    Spear Maiden 12
    Even Kobolds 11
    Velaz 8
    Sasha 5

OOG: Wonder if it would be better for one group roll and everyone add in their modifiers??

As Doc's arrow pierces the throat of the closest kobold, two others armed with slings whip stones towards the cornered family. The woman deflects one with her shield, but can't get around fast enough for the second stone. It clips her across the scalp a large red welt appearing as she glowers at the little beast.

As the little "dog-man" drops to the ground, his companions turn to see the group and draw wickedly curved daggers. "You die! Ummie!" one snarls at the rogue in draconic.

OOG: Airoch is up

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Odd kobolds (1d20+2)[7], (1d20+2)[20], 2 slings at spear maiden, 1 hit for [5] DMG

Show
    The first home is empty, but in the second there looks to have been a struggle, and you can see someone in commoners clothes lying on the floor.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-11 at 09:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Watching the watchwoman defend her family reminded the young noble of the cost of this raid, and the desperation of Greenest's survivors. However, as a sling stone split her scalp, Arioch was incensed. He raised his shield, and plunged through the kobold's line, ending at the woman's left shoulder, he turned to her quickly, "Tell your family to get behind me, my companions will protect them." He then turned to the woman's attackers, "VERMIN! FLEE OR THESE STREETS WILL RUN SLICK WITH YOUR BLOOD!"

As he spoke he slapped his longsword against his shield, his heart racing as he prepared for battle.

Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Standard Action: Disengage. Move Action: Move from M6 to J12, hopefully providing the woman with some cover from future ranged attacks. Due to the Disengage action I will not take AoO's by moving through the kobold's threatened areas. I can roll Intimidate if required, but I think that would have to be a standard action, instead, I am just trying to draw their attention so they don't continue to attack the woman or her family.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Velaz tries not to linger when his search of the first house finds nobody, but the body he spies in the second quickly has his attention. Once again he uses knock to throw the door open if it isn't already and rushes over to the unconscious body. Velaz kneels down next to the body while beginning to check if they are breathing and the extent of their injuries.

Spoiler: Medicine Check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

Oh wow, I just realized Velaz never got the medicine skill properly trained... welp, nothing like learning on the spot!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    "VERMIN! FLEE OR THESE STREETS WILL RUN SLICK WITH YOUR BLOOD!"

As he spoke he slapped his longsword against his shield, his heart racing as he prepared for battle.
    OOG: Intimidation check if you please, thanks.

"Well met warrior." the woman says by Airoch's side. He sees her grab the shirt of a little boy and pull him behind her while she bends her knees and tucks her shield under her chin. Taking her spear haft she holds it threateningly. OOG: Dodge action. Nanuir is up.

Show
    The young man,probably a teenager is breathing and you see no blood or ingruies. But he is unconscious.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-10 at 01:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Ah, I was right then," Narunir begins as the aforementioned 'dog-men' make their appearance, "Kobolds. If possible I would appreciate capturing one alive for questioning, but if not...Well, given our surroundings I doubt this lot will be missed."

Stepping forward, the Drow ends up standing beside Doc as a few purple sparks begin forming at his fingertips, eventually forming into a small sphere of flames. Narunir then hurls it forward, towards one of the many targets before them.

Show
    Moving to L3 and casting Fire Bolt to target Kobold 1

Fire Bolt Accuracy: (1d20+5)[10]
    Fire Bolt Damage: (1d10)[8]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Velaz lets out a sigh of relief when he discovers the boy lives, only to gag and cough a bit on the smoke. Knowing he can't just leave him there, Velaz pulls the body up and onto his shoulders before moving out of the house. Once back out on the street, Velaz would work his way over to the edge of town and gently put the boy down on his back far enough from the town that he wouldn't be in any danger from the fires or smoke. If he saw any townsfolk fleeing on his way, he'd wave them over to see if they could take the boy with them.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-11 at 07:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The arc of a firebolt shooting through the air catches the tiefling's eye after he turns back towards the town. The impromptu flare missing its target. OOG: May edit your actions.

Naya and Dirk run for the cover of the building while two kobolds think better of attacking armed and armored adventurers. Leaving the kobold Doc enraged and his compatriot taking swings with their daggers at Airoch. Both the creatures are quick and deadly, getting under the guard of the paladin, and drawing blood from his thigh and forearm. two hits for [12 ] DMG

Spoiler: Updated map
    Show

[IMG][/IMG]

Spoiler: Rolls and Actions
    Show

kobold#2 vs Airoch (1d20+2)[22], adv.(1d20+2)[4], dmg (1d4+2)[5]
    kobold#4 vs Airoch (1d20+2)[20], adv.(1d20+2)[9], dmg (1d4+2)[6]
    kobolds #6 & 8 dodge

OOG: Sasha to finish round 1
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-11 at 12:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Sasha charges in alongside Arioch, voicing encouragement to him as she swings. "You can do this! Keep on guard!"

Focusing as she is on Arioch, her hit goes wide, easily evaded by the small creature.

Show
    Giving Arioch a 1d6 Inspiration Die. He can either use it, after rolling damage, to add to the total damage roll, or probably more relevant, use it as a reaction to increase his AC against a single attack by the number rolled.

Also Imma smack a Kobold.

(1d20+5)[8]
    (1d8+3)[4]
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-02-11 at 08:08 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

With the boy safe enough for the moment from the immediate dangers, Velaz was ready to rush back into town when he saw the flare shoot across the sky missing it's intended target. Questions flooded his mind as Velaz wasn't sure if this was an attempt to start a new fire, a cry for help, or the signs of a fight breaking out. The notion of other possible hostiles though finally started to sink in as Velaz had been too concerned with trying to save people in the burning section of town to give it much thought before. Now though he was forced to recall that he was never much of a fighter, Talis was the one who'd gotten them out of such scrapes before and he'd tended her cuts and bruises afterwards.

And now, the people who'd agreed to help find Talis could be fighting without him. That would prove more than enough for Velaz to take off at a sprint across the field back towards the side of town where the others would have entered it, cutting through the town even if it'd get him there any faster.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sasha is hard pressed to reach the paladin physically the kobolds blocking her way. However her words do reach him and the light of hope sparkles in his mind.
    OOG: didn't think you want to suffer an AoO this round

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Show
    Running with everything you got, you can just see Naya and Dirk cowering next to a building.You'll come out on the Left side of the map on INIT 8 of Round three. If you continue to Dash

Top of Round 2
    Doc 26
    Odd kobolds 21
    Nanuir 16
    Airoch 15
    Spear Maiden 12
    Even Kobolds 11
    Velaz 8
    Sasha 5
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-11 at 09:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

OOG: Gonin give us a little push. Hope Dayaz got his power back on.

Doc takes aim once more , and just as one of the koboldswasabout to stab Sasha in her exposed back, the rogue's arrow pierces it threw the throat. Sasha turns to see the wide eyed creature drop its raised knife nd then slump to the ground dead.

Snarling a kobold whips a stone in retaliation at Doc. The rogue nimbly side steps the missile. and draws another arrow from his quiver.

Spoiler: Rolls and Dmg etc
    Show

Doc vs Kobold #1 (1d20+5)[18], (1d6+3)[6],(1d6)[6]
    Kobold#1 vs Sasha [roll]1d20+2, adv (1d20+2)[22], (1d4+2)[5]
    Kobold#3 vs Doc [roll]+2=12, (1d4+2)[3]
    Kobold #5 - readies sling for attack, waiting for opening
    Kbold #7 - Dodge

EDIT: Nanuir and Airoch are up and Kobold #1 is dead
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-12 at 03:46 PM.