New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CIX

I'm having a lot of doubts regarding my build - and unusually for me, my fluff. I usually try to build around two main ideas: do something only the SI could do, or maneuver around the SI's downsides.

I like my entry a lot, but it feels a bit too much like I'm jumping through hoops for no real reason. I've got a few tattoos I feel I've found good use for, but it still feels too much like I'm creating problems for the SI to fix.

And I 100% remembered some of these tattoos as more potent than they are. Not actually potent, mind you, just more than they are.

Fluff wise, I just find that I'm going through the motions. Like, I like the core of the story, but I can't find an engaging way to tell it.

How is everybody else doing?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I'm having a lot of doubts regarding my build - and unusually for me, my fluff. I usually try to build around two main ideas: do something only the SI could do, or maneuver around the SI's downsides.

I like my entry a lot, but it feels a bit too much like I'm jumping through hoops for no real reason. I've got a few tattoos I feel I've found good use for, but it still feels too much like I'm creating problems for the SI to fix.

And I 100% remembered some of these tattoos as more potent than they are. Not actually potent, mind you, just more than they are.

Fluff wise, I just find that I'm going through the motions. Like, I like the core of the story, but I can't find an engaging way to tell it.

I'm experiencing none of the problems you described, because I took actions that'll squeeze a month of frustration into two weeks of anger, which is clearly smarter.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I'm experiencing none of the problems you described, because I took actions that'll squeeze a month of frustration into two weeks of anger, which is clearly smarter.
    That's certainly an interesting way to think about this

One aspect I'm thankful for is knowing how you judge well enough to know for sure that I'm not getting anywhere near a medal with this one. Not having to worry about that aspect is certainly nice, and I hope everyone will still enjoy the entry.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

That's certainly an interesting way to think about this

One aspect I'm thankful for is knowing how you judge well enough to know for sure that I'm not getting anywhere near a medal with this one. Not having to worry about that aspect is certainly nice, and I hope everyone will still enjoy the entry.
    Especially if I'm the only judge.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Some people love doing fluff. I’m not one of those people, so often I just skimp on it, with some exemptions here and there where selling the mechanical trick that made me excited enough to build at all absolutely required doing more fluff. To me, writing fluff is like eating your vegetables; a necessary evil to be passably healthy.

Some things that I like doing with fluff is trying to write as how other denizens of the world would bear witness to the character. First person can be fun with the right build elements. Another thing you can do is just use a wierd narrative voice as the frame.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Some people love doing fluff. I’m not one of those people, so often I just skimp on it, with some exemptions here and there where selling the mechanical trick that made me excited enough to build at all absolutely required doing more fluff. To me, writing fluff is like eating your vegetables; a necessary evil to be passably healthy.

Some things that I like doing with fluff is trying to write as how other denizens of the world would bear witness to the character. First person can be fun with the right build elements. Another thing you can do is just use a wierd narrative voice as the frame.
    Hey, thanks for the advice!

I like writing the fluff. I also like doing different things with it. I dislike Begida's fluff in the Insidious corruptor round, but other than that I liked all the fluff I've written so far, and Begida was my least favourite entry by me so far in other ways as well.

Faderyn (insidious corruptor) and Frough-Gee (primeval) were short and sweet, mainly just someone else's weird musings on the character ending with a reveal that makes them make sense. Kalashtar Jones (Atavist) was a folk song. Easy to write, and flowed decently well (at least IMO). My other entry from that round, Anidina the Mad, was an unreliable narrator's musings on the nature of truth, and I enjoyed getting to pose unsettling questions without having to provide answers. Free's fluff (Primeval) was not as concise as other items here, but it was personal, and cathartic to write. On the villainous competition, I managed to give myself the creeps with "The Ghost Next Door".

This round feels like it should be good on the fluff front. I've got a good central theme and I have a fun and unique way to showcase it. I like the fluff I have for this one a lot in theory, I just can't get it to click for some reason.

Maybe it'll come once I accept the crunch and move on.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I've got most of my build set, just need to refine a few things and write it up. I've stepped upon a funny idea for a character build. Something really unexpected I think (like my last build the Double Agent^^). But I think it won't be doing that well in the competition for similar reasons (to much optimizing..^^). Anyway, I really like the idea and will go for it.
    As for the fluff, I have some lil problems to solve here myself. But I think its manageable.

BTW: Regarding the SI for this round. Is anyone going to take the last lvl of Tattooed Monk (TM)? Just a mere +1 to BAB and Saves doesn't add anything to the TM theme/fluff at all.
    Further, regarding the fluff of the TM: Besides from tattoos and the regular monk combat stuff there is not much setting the fluff for the character. This gives much room for personal choices regarding the fluff.
    At least I can't think of any way to make the tattoos look like the main fluff point of a character. I mean, what shall we do? I can't picture anyone introducing himself as the Tattoo Guy: "Hey look, I'm the tattoo guy, I do tattoos."...^^

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Speak for yourself, I expect at least 3 separate builds called "The Tattoo Guy."
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I know of at least one (very good, quite creepy) somewhat famous literary example of a character who can reasonably be thought of as "the tattoo guy." If no one makes an explicit homage to it then I'll share the specifics of what I'm thinking of after the reveal.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I like to imagine all tattooed monks' tattoos look the same, so when we run into each other, we have something to talk about.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-02-06 at 03:30 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Speak for yourself, I expect at least 3 separate builds called "The Tattoo Guy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I like to imagine all tattooed monks' tattoos look the same, so when we run into each other, we have something to talk about.
    1st Guy :Hi, I'm the tattoo guy!
    2nd Guy: Great, I'm also a tattoo guy.
    3rd Guy: Hell no, I'm the real tattoo guy..!
    4th party member: Nani??..

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A couple of questions for the Chair:

1) Given you've ruled the Scorpion tattoo is activated with an Immediate Action, is the Unicorn tattoo also activated in that way?
    2a) Those tattoos which don't have a duration, is the duration permanent until deactivated? The PrC references "continuous"...
    2b) How would you deactivate such a tattoo?

Thanks in advance,
    ESO

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Given that there's no action attached to similar reroll abilities, I'm going to say it's not an action to activate the unicorn tattoo.

2a. Yes, you may treat tattoos which are not activated, such as Crab, as having a permanent duration.

2b. If you have need to deactivate a tattoo (other than OA spider which has its own rules) you may deactivate it as a move action, and it remains off until you use another move action to reactivate it. You may also use the voluntarily lower SR rule for the phoenix tattoo.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Who do I ask for rulings on vague or unclear rules that are very specific to the build I'm doing? I have a build idea but I'm not sure how a DM would rule on some of the elements, and I don't want to submit it unless it's kosher.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Private message The Viscount. This is one of his duties as chair.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-02-08 at 04:55 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I've worked through most of my issues with my build, though I really don't think it's going to do well come judgement time. I also still have that "one feat short" feeling.

How's everyone else doing?

Also, do we have any more volunteers to judge? Judging solo is a lot of pressure, and as a contestant I like having multiple people judging as well. I know it's stressful and a lot of work, but I'd very much like to see a larger diversity of judges in the competition. There have been overall four judges in the 6 past rounds (I'm starting at Psion Uncarnate just because that's when I came along) and 4 of these rounds had a solo judge.

Our sole judge so far for the current round is one of the 4 I've already mentioned. I think it can lead to burnout, especially when it feels like "If I don't do it, no one will."

No one has to judge of course, and if you can't invest the time, or dislike the task, or just don't want to do it, that's totally understandable. I'm mainly just talking to those who haven't really considered the option - whether they be a usual participant, a newbie, or a bystander/lurker. Consider giving it a chance!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I've worked through most of my issues with my build, though I really don't think it's going to do well come judgement time. I also still have that "one feat short" feeling.

How's everyone else doing?
    Table almost finished. Need to write text and look up some fitting gear/items as recommendation, but that it. But in my chase even that can be very time consuming.

I don't expect the build to do well since I have trouble to sell the tattoos as main fluff point. But it a funny and flavorful build that doesn't need to hide when it comes to combat. (or maybe he will "Hide", who knows^^)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Table almost finished. Need to write text and look up some fitting gear/items as recommendation, but that it. But in my chase even that can be very time consuming.

I don't expect the build to do well since I have trouble to sell the tattoos as main fluff point. But it a funny and flavorful build that doesn't need to hide when it comes to combat. (or maybe he will "Hide", who knows^^)
    Sounds like you're having a lot of fun!

Point of order: you don't have to have item recommendations if you don't want to. If you like having them, I'm glad, have a blast - just saying that if it's not only time consuming in your case, but also frustrating or un-fun, you can submit a full entry without them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun!

Point of order: you don't have to have item recommendations if you don't want to. If you like having them, I'm glad, have a blast - just saying that if it's not only time consuming in your case, but also frustrating or un-fun, you can submit a full entry without them.
    Normally it wouldn't take much time or i wouldn't even do it. But due to the build, I want to point out a few specific items the build has "special access" to (for meeting the items requirements). As such these aren't the standard items that I know form memory and thus need to dig em out and see which I am gonna recommend or just mention.

But yeah, I'm having fun. On the other side, my Uchiha, Itachi build project is also almost finished and waits since over a month for me to spare some time for the write up..
    I hope that I'll have more time for that when I finished the competition build in the next days.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I have an idea that's partially formed, but it's less reliant upon the SI than I would really like, and the hook isn't quite as interesting as I would have hoped.

If this idea doesn't pan out (I'm kinda feat-starved and, as I mentioned, it's really not about the SI to the extent that I want it to be), I'm kind of coming up blank. This class quite doggedly refuses to synergize with anything I want to use, and I admit to being flat baffled by the K: Religion requirement.

(Okay, I have one other idea, but it's stinky cheese and not actually very interesting stinky cheese, so I'll only go in that direction if I can think of a twist to actually make it funny. As it stands, it's audacious enough to elicit a cringe but not audacious enough to elicit a laugh, so that's exactly the wrong place to be.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    As it stands, it's audacious enough to elicit a cringe but not audacious enough to elicit a laugh, so that's exactly the wrong place to be.
    I know exactly what you're talking about. That is a very eloquent and observant way to put it, and it really clarifies the nature of the phenomenon to me. I'll try to remember that.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I have too many ideas, but I've settled on the two that I'm probably going to go with (will probably post the rest after either the reveal or final reveal). Since I've been churning submissions out lately, I'm going to try to judge again sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I've also settled on an idea, but as to whether I get time or not is another question altogether...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    If this idea doesn't pan out (I'm kinda feat-starved and, as I mentioned, it's really not about the SI to the extent that I want it to be), I'm kind of coming up blank. This class quite doggedly refuses to synergize with anything I want to use, and I admit to being flat baffled by the K: Religion requirement.
    Like its other prereqs, the writers were thinking "man I really want to just say that you must be a monk, but I can't do that, so I'll just make it easiest to enter with monk and let the players take the path of least resistance."

Any attempt at answering it better really just kicks the can down the road to why monk has Knowledge (Religion). Obviously the class is drawn from real world monks, but D&D monk has always been kind of "spiritual but not religious."
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2021-02-11 at 08:57 PM.
    Awards

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I admit to becoming increasingly frustrated with this class. It's... really quite remarkable how resistant it is to playing nice with anything else. So many freaking dead levels...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yeah, this ingredient is a tough one for sure. Dead levels hurt, and a dead level as a capstone hurts a lot. It's also very hard to build around 5 tattoos simultaneously. I feel a lot like I've started building around a couple of aspects and the rest just tags along. I think I did a decent enough job at paying attention to everything though.

I'm finally happy with my entry's crunch, and as expected, the fluff flows significantly better now. It isn't shaping up to be my favorite I've written, but it's working.

There are a few things I expect to see a lot of this round (can't mention that because it's speculation), and my entry doesn't tick any of these boxes, which is nice. Who knows though, maybe everyone will Vizzini away from those. I still expect my entry to get slaughtered in a couple of categories, including aspects that I'd actually praise, not penalize, were I a judge. That's life sometimes.

I'm really hoping to see some creative builds this round. A couple of faces I've gotten used to seeing in the past few rounds aren't here - I hope everyone's doing okay. There's still time to participate, or volunteer to judge!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I have a build and a half that are pretty far out there, I keep thinking that I'm close to making something out of them but the final picture hasn't gained real resolution yet

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey everyone,

First time cooking and pretty excited (I found something nice I think)

Question though, is picking something from DrM a disqualifying offense or can it count as Elegance penality (or better can simply float as is) if you can argument it reaaaaally well ?

Or should I stay with vanilla rulings and suggest it in the discussion part instead ?
    Last edited by Paragon; 2021-02-13 at 09:46 AM. Reason: English grammar

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

DrM content isn't allowed.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Making alternate suggestions in the discussion part, like presenting optional gear, is fine.
    Awards