New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Wild Magic Feats [Spheres in Review]

Well. I need to do something to destress if I'm to manage to sleep.
    But oh boy. I saw something very interesting in this set of feats. So let's go!

Post Review Analysis: Yeah. 2 killer feats. A bit of meh all around.

Ranking system:
    (S) Superb: You always want this. It's awesome.
    (G) Good: These make useful additions to the right builds.
    (M) Meh: While perhaps better than nothing, you are giving up something for it, so probably shouldn't without a good reason.
    (N) No.
    <Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.

- Special Ratings:
    (C) Cheese: A talent so broken that it will be instantly banned if you use it as you could.
    (I) Impossible: Can't be rated because it is just not defined enough to give a meaningful rating - it depends too much on DM ruling, or personal use. I'll just place it where I guess the average result would put it.
    (F) Flavor: This indicates that the main draw to the talent is going to be its inherent fluff or flavor, rather than raw power or utility.
    Basics
    Wild Magic Chance: Each time you cast a spell, while you have a chance of wild magic, you roll a percentile die, and if you roll low enough, you trigger a Wild Magic effect. The related casting tradition grants a passive +10% Wild Magic Chance to the base 0.

Chance over 100%: When your wild magic chance is at least 100%, you guarantee one Wild Magic Event. And for any additional chance over 100, but less than or equal to 200, you have a chance of having a second event.

Chance over 200%: By default, any more wild magic chance, and the spell fails. But using the Major Events, you can go up to 300%, with the chance over 200 being the chance for a major event, which is actually really terrifying. In my opinion, the Player Character should not be able to self-enable such events, but instead need something like a natural Wild Magic Zone to do so.
    After all, they kind of lose their kick as major events if it happens every round.

Wild Magic Event: This is simply a random effect added to your spell. Sometimes it's neat. Other times detrimental. And occasionally you cause the tavern's windows to implode and get kicked out. Rarely are you going to die due to it.
    However, the GM is well at liberty to make his own lists...which can actually make it much more troublesome to trigger Wild Magic. Or just more wild. Who knows. I don't. It's not my DM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspired Surge (<C>): Woo! Strange wording. Could imply that you can only flex into "passive" talents, which simply apply to something you're already casting...or outright be stating that. Not 100% positive. But regardless, imagine being able to spontaneously cure any condition with 1 Life sphere talent and this feat. And that's scratching the surface.
    Finding 5 wild magic feats that you'd want to take will be difficult. But unnecessary, in large part.

Shift Cost (S): 50% WMC for -1 to SP cost. To a minimum of 1 SP cost. So it's not absolutely stupidly designed. But there are plenty of benefits to be gained, such as <Mass> spells now being no net cost for multiple targets.

Energy Shift (G-S): "You can just take a different Blast type," is what I'd normally say. But holy cow. Look at that flexibility. Even to force and untyped damage for a single feat.

Manipulate Result (<G>): If your DM agrees you can roll a second time after the first, then this is good. It essentially gives you a chance at being less bad, but no worse. If you must choose before you roll, then this is really not good.
    Blood Dampening (G): Painful. But you can decide after rolling that "Hey, this is really suboptimal. Let's not do that right now." So yeah, it's cool.
    Careful Casting (<G>): If you've got more than 200% of wild magic effect that you really want to use, and this would enable that, then...awesome.

Shift Effect (M-G): Yet another way to attempt to correct the mistake of that percentile die's roll. This time, you roll the die, and try again. It can be worse. It can be better. But it probably won't be the same.
    Overpower Resistance (M-G): Probably where I'd put Spell Penetration. But this stacks with it. So if you are dead freaking set on using Spell Penetration-targeting spells, then you now have 3 feats + 1 metamagic to help you. For I think +11 in total?

Heedless Metamagic (M): Meh. I mean. There are some good metamagics out there. Do you really need this feat to support it though? Maybe. But there are a lot of really good metamagics. Getting to have a move action and use them... But it's not like you're full attacking. Best case for this is you're using touch-range spells, in which case you can probably use this feat to take a range talent. And then you don't care about moving. Dunno. I think it's pretty meh.

Chaotic Counter (N-M): I could not care. Adding Wild Magic really isn't that big of a penalty, and a +1 to your counterspell check isn't great.
    Rhythmic Chaos (N-M): I like how it's cool and thematic. But again, Wild Magic really isn't a big penalty. Not enough to spend a feat on it. Especially when it's as likely to be a hinderance to you as them.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2021-02-03 at 01:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wild Magic Feats [Spheres in Review]

And I've now got a Feats in Review section to my Spheres in Review link.

You know? There was one massive day when I decided to rate every single feat in one post without backing up the data as I went.
    Yeah. I hit the arrow key by mistake, which backed me out to the forum, and I lost the entire thing.

Taught me a valuable lesson that 20+ years of academia could not.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There is a chance cap, either 200%, if not using major events, or 300% if using major events.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There is a chance cap, either 200%, if not using major events, or 300% if using major events.
    Oh? Where does it say that?

Edit. Oh. They have a hidden page on wild magic. I'm going to have to edit the review as soon as I get free time.

Edit edit. OK, done. Thanks.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2021-02-03 at 02:03 PM.