Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Venus or Mars for terraforming and colonisation?

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I think it sounds like it's more about getting a capsule to really high suborbital altitude and then having it spin while it's dropping back to Earth, before it has to start breaking.
    Which makes sense, as it's utilizing its RCS to start the spin. Limited fuel means they'll do everything to ensure the rocket and its payload return to earth. So spinning in a deliberately quickly decaying orbit....
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Which makes sense, as it's utilizing its RCS to start the spin. Limited fuel means they'll do everything to ensure the rocket and its payload return to earth. So spinning in a deliberately quickly decaying orbit....
    It's not in any sense an orbit. What that thing does is take people straight up to the edge of space, and drops straight back down again. It doesn't get anywhere near orbital speeds, which would require serious and expensive heat shielding, which it doesn't have, because it doesn't need them, because it doesn't go that fast. It's a cheap and nasty "almost there", except that it isn't really almost there at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    For anyone who's interested, Blue Origin is going to try spinning up some centrifugal gravity in orbit: NASA and Blue Origin upgrading New Shepard spacecraft for artificial gravity.

All sorts of opportunities for testing the effects of spun-up low gravity (1/6 G).
    Oooh, thanks for sharing! It's not a full on station, but hey, experiments make sense. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any interesting findings.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I think, Mars for colonisation and Venus for terraforming.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
    I think, Mars for colonisation and Venus for terraforming.
    I realize it is a bad idea for any number of reasons, but I've long wondered about developing an extremeophile bacteria that could survive Venus's upper atmosphere and start to use photosynthesis to convert Venus's atmosphere.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I realize it is a bad idea for any number of reasons, but I've long wondered about developing an extremeophile bacteria that could survive Venus's upper atmosphere and start to use photosynthesis to convert Venus's atmosphere.
    Hopefully, it's a matter of finding rather than developing because I don't think we can do that yet. A lichen might be good if it exists, but it would need to break off daughters rather than grow, because growing would take it down.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-04-15 at 01:10 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.