New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Actually, unless you drop the weight starvation fast, the new skin growth will keep it fairly taut.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

My doctor suggested that a kilo per month might be reasonable for weight loss. I'm trying for a bit more than that, but I feel like he might have been right.

On the other hand, exercise is it's own reward. Makes me feel much better than virtue.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, unless you drop the weight starvation fast, the new skin growth will keep it fairly taut.
    Yeah, just don't do what I did haha. The best advice I have seen for long term weightloss and skin management is eat at 30% deficit for two weeks, maintenance 2 weeks, and back down. Keeps the pancreas from freaking out and gives the body time to heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yes, and that'd be good for general health, but aesthetically planting a new tree in front of a dilapidated house isn't going to improve property values by much.
    A esthetically planting a tree in front of a dilapidated house will raise the property value and make the lot look nicer down the road. That's the point of that saying.
    This isn't a getting in shape thing, which is something I need and I hope to do, this is an aesthetic thing: I am never going to look good without a shirt. Not even if I get myself into perfect shape and stay there, becuase the damage is already done.

You ever seen Goldmember? At the end when Fat Bastard gets in shape, he feels better but he doesn't look better.

Right now, this conversation, is about looks. Not health.
    Except you're wrong. Yeah, when a person gets that big and then loses it there's a lot of extra skin that ends up in folds itself, but that's also fixable. I've seen it, both before and after. A defeatest attitude just means that it's a guarantee it'll never get better.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    My doctor suggested that a kilo per month might be reasonable for weight loss. I'm trying for a bit more than that, but I feel like he might have been right.

On the other hand, exercise is it's own reward. Makes me feel much better than virtue.
    When I started to get serious about it, I dropped almost a kilo a week for the first month. Amazing how both increased activity and actually monitoring your diet tag team. I slowed down after that, but that first month was a doozy.

Then I started gaining weight back as I added muscle.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

Just now my mother was looking through the cabinet for something for my brother's headache and noticed a "Monday-Sunday" pillbox full of blood thinners that I was one like, eight years ago give or take.

We'd thought we got rid of all of them when the doctor said I didn't need them anymore, but I guess we missed some.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #307

And that's what scares me most about our 'just take pills' society. People hide them like squirrels with acorns, and the ones who find them are disproportionately small children.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Like most dyspraxic people I don't so much have a single dominant hand but switch to whatever is easier for the task. In fact logically I'd write with my left, but I think I learnt with my right so as to not smudge the ink.

I plan to retry fencing with my left hand.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #309

1: Hypothetically, if I had an idea for a free form game where the PCs were LGBT space "pirates" on a self-sustaining ship that could travel the multiverse, would people be interested in that?

2: I don't understand the stigma against people giving money as a gift. If you can't think of something someone will appreciate then... Especially since gift-cards are so widely accepted: Why is giving people money that they can only spend at one place okay but giving them general money not?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1: Hypothetically, if I had an idea for a free form game where the PCs were LGBT space "pirates" on a self-sustaining ship that could travel the multiverse, would people be interested in that?

2: I don't understand the stigma against people giving money as a gift. If you can't think of something someone will appreciate then... Especially since gift-cards are so widely accepted: Why is giving people money that they can only spend at one place okay but giving them general money not?
    Have you ever heard the phrase "it's the thought that counts?" A gift card often shows at least a passing knowledge of the other person's interests. General money is "you don't even warrant an after thought."

Imagine you had three uncles that made $55 an hour. One gives you $20, or less then a half hours work. The other gives you a $20 gift card to the local paintball shop because they know you are an avid paintballer strapped for cash. It's functionally identical, which means more?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-02-11 at 05:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Have you ever heard the phrase "it's the thought that counts?" A gift card often shows at least a passing knowledge of the other person's interests. General money is "you don't even warrant an after thought."
    "It;' the thought that counts" is a toxic idea.

It sounds nice, but in practice, it amounts to people using it as a shield becuase they don't know what the person wants, likes, or has a use for and didn't care to just ask them.

Or worse, did ask and then ignored what they were told.

You give me a gift card, you're telling me to buy my own gift. You're giving me an errand, and it's probably one I'm never going to do so you've probably just wasted your money.

Giving me money? I'll spend the money. Maybe I'll find something I want. Maybe I have a cost I need to cover, but it'll get used.

And that's another thing: People who insist that you spend your birthday money from grandma on frivolous stuff. I had a fight with my mother back in high school when I wanted to spend some money my grandmother gave me on kitty litter.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

1. Not sure. I do like playing rogue/scoundrel characters though. but I kind have enough roleplays as it is.

2: because its the thought at counts, meaning you have to know the person to get them a thoughtful gift see? If you give them money, the idea is that your thoughtless, because you didn't care enough to get to know them to skip giving them money to give them a gift that they wanted. its about showing how well you know the person that you can confidently get them something they will like instead giving them the means to get it themselves.

whether this is nonsense or not, is up to specific people and their social competence of course. but thats my general read of what the ideal is. though given my experience with such gifts is that I have to specifically say the things I wanted for my birthday and christmas so that people would get them often with written lists, I suspect that it was never a realistic ideal in the first place. if I didn't tell them outright, my family wouldn't even know what to get me. so I personally don't care if I get money. because I know I'm an introvert that people probably won't get or know much about, so I don't expect them to give me a gift that I'd appreciate without me having anything to do it.

I'd personally argue the worst gift you can receive is a gift that the person themselves would like but trying to apply it to you, because that means they aren't aware of their own lack of knowledge about you and think you like the same stuff, or is trying to get you interested in it and "expand your horizons".

practicality gifts are underrated though, because those at least show the person is thinking about your needs even if they don't know your desires.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It sounds nice, but in practice, it amounts to people using it as a shield becuase they don't know what the person wants, likes, or has a use for and didn't care to just ask them.

Or worse, did ask and then ignored what they were told.

You give me a gift card, you're telling me to buy my own gift. You're giving me an errand, and it's probably one I'm never going to do so you've probably just wasted your money.

Giving me money? I'll spend the money. Maybe I'll find something I want. Maybe I have a cost I need to cover, but it'll get used.

And that's another thing: People who insist that you spend your birthday money from grandma on frivolous stuff. I had a fight with my mother back in high school when I wanted to spend some money my grandmother gave me on kitty litter.
    I'm not the king of gifts man. Gifts are culturally about sentimental value, not utility. Sorry your family didn't get you what you wanted.

14. - Top - End - #314

I'm not the king of gifts man. Gifts are culturally about sentimental value, not utility. Sorry your family didn't get you what you wanted.
    Dude, no, that's a general statement: I don't understand why giving money is unacceptable but giving money with strings attached is.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Because tradition.

It's like how not everybody thinks digital gifts should count. Gift cards are okay because it looks like you put effort in, even though we know you don't. Money isn't because the computer rules says no. The rules for gifts are weird.

I've got my valentines gifts in the post now, which consist of neither money nor gift cards.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-02-11 at 06:34 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #316

It's not in any way toxic. The thought is what counts. If someone thinks enough to get you a gift, regardless if what that gift is, that is what counts. If you hate it, they still thought of you and tried, and that's what counts. I reject in the strongest possible terms that it's a toxic idea and if anyone I knew IRL espoused that belief, that would only serve to get me to stop thinking about them.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-11 at 07:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's not in any way toxic. The thought is what counts. If someone thinks enough to get you a gift, regardless if what that gift is, that is what counts. If you hate it, they still thought of you and tried, and that's what counts. I reject in the strongest possible terms that it's a toxic idea and if anyone I knew IRL espoused that belief, that would only serve to get me to stop thinking about them.
    In my experience, the people most likely to say "it's the thought that counts" are people trying to cover up the fact that they got someone a gift out of obligation or simply becuase they think it reflects well on them and didn't care to try and figure out what someone wants or needs.

Or, in short, while "it's the thought that counts" is n idea that sounds good on paper, in practice, it's used as a shield to enable people who didn't really put much thought into it at all.

(Not my family. Other people I know.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-11 at 07:19 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Gah! I have an unyielding hatred against imperial units. I mean, 12 inch is a foot, 3 feet is a yard and 1760 yards is a mile. There's just... no consistency. And a furlong!? WHARGLBARGHWARGHL
    That is because you are missing 2 seldom used units: barleycorns and hands. There are 3 barleycorns to an inch, 4 inches to a hand, 3 hands to a foot and 3 feet to a yard.

In my experience, the people most likely to say "it's the thought that counts" are people trying to cover up the fact that they got someone a gift out of obligation or simply becuase they think it reflects well on them and didn't care to try and figure out what someone wants or needs.

Or, in short, while "it's the thought that counts" is n idea that sounds good on paper, in practice, it's used as a shield to enable people who didn't really put much thought into it at all.

In my experience it is people receiving weird or poorly made gifts from children who get "it's the thought that counts" aphorized at them. If I buy a gift out of obligation I'm not going to say "it's the thought that counts" in an attempt to cover up my poor choices.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2021-02-11 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

My general rule is that if you're not going to the actual celebration (or live with the person*) then there should be no obligation. If there is no obligation you should directly or indirectly ask if the person wants a gift and if not well the thought is still a nice gesture.

Really, the problem comes down to perceived laziness. Not every instance of a gift card is lazy, but it certainly looks lazy because it's a very easy and safe option. Honestly alcohol can have the same problem, although it's better because they at least have to pick the specific bottle(s) (or set).

I have seen so much beer go bad because I only drink socially. It's a conscious decision that I made while at university, and really helps moderate intake. But it also causes a problem because I'm hard to buy gifts for.

If you don't want people to feel obligated to get presents then make that clear. My siblings and I have a standing rule that birthday presents are only required if you see them on the day, and if you do a consumable one is ideal. Christmas presents between us have also been reduced to the minimum acceptable amount (get one if they'll be there on the day, otherwise you 'left it out of your bag for space', and will get it to them soon, honest**).

* And that one isn't that strict in my book anyway.
    ** Or it's in the post. Which makes it awkward when you've got to communicate that no, really, their present is stuck in the mail system.

Show

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    That is because you are missing 2 seldom used units: barleycorns and hands. There are 3 barleycorns to an inch, 4 inches to a hand, 3 hands to a foot and 3 feet to a yard.
    Is that real? It sounds like you're making that up, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    In my experience it is people receiving weird or poorly made gifts from children who get "it's the thought that counts" aphorized at them. If I buy a gift out of obligation I'm not going to say "it's the thought that counts" in an attempt to cover up my poor choices.
    See, that's the situation that the platitude is meant for: Someone did put thought or effort into it, but it's just not a good fit.

But my experiences and observations...

It's like "the customer is always right." It's supposed to be "the customer wants what they want if they want their steak raw served with icecream then as long as they promise not to sue we serve it to them" but in practice, it's mostly used as a button for people to excuse their bad behavior.

From what I've seen, people who say "it's the thought that counts" didn't really put much thought into it... Or they put the wrong kind of thought into it.

You end up with a gift that is totally inappropriate and the person excuses themselves "well, uh, I put a lo~ot of thought into it and it's the thought that counts so you should be grateful."

That's what I've seen and heard about happening most often, and a platitude that lets people get away with, for example, gifting half of a month old deli platter to someone to pull an example out of my ass, is a platitude that maybe needs to be not be spread around so much.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Is that real? It sounds like you're making that up, but...
    Well we were supposed to update the definition of a foot, but nobody wants to ask Her Majesty to remove her shoes for the measurement.

Seriously, while I'm not an expert on Imperial measurements, it sounds about right. I'm fairly certain there's three hands to the foot at least. There's actually many intermediary steps in Imperial, which is partially because some units are used in specialised ways (fathoms being a classic example).

Which just makes it weirder to me that Imperial uses the same unit for mass and force.

Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Changing topics... I'm not the only one who sometimes wishes they could just put all the people they care about on a ship and just leave everything else behind, am I?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #323

I don't think your experiences are universal, is the thing. They certainly don't match what anyone I have ever known has been like. At the very least, in the circles I am familiar with, nobody acts like the people you describe knowing.

24. - Top - End - #324

Changing topics... I'm not the only one who sometimes wishes they could just put all the people they care about on a ship and just leave everything else behind, am I?
    After the last twelve months? Not in the least. In fact, I'd bet my grandpa's silver dollar that at least a quarter of the planet has had that thought, if not in those exact terms.

And I hate gift giving in general. It's all just more junk of which people have piles of already.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. So anyway I believe in freedom for everything without traditions.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    How do you decide what right and wrong is in this system? What is the criteria if you are ignoring tradition?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

How do you decide what right and wrong is in this system? What is the criteria if you are ignoring tradition?
    I'm chaotic neutral. I put freedom first, then the good and evil second. I don't believe in traditions.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

28. - Top - End - #328

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Which just makes it weirder to me that Imperial uses the same unit for mass and force.
    It doesn't. The unit of mass is the pound. The unit of force is either the poundal or the pound-force. They're not the same thing.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It doesn't. The unit of mass is the pound. The unit of force is either the poundal or the pound-force. They're not the same thing.
    The conversion between the them is a unit of acceleration called a "G" right?

I learned that from this guy.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

I'm chaotic neutral. I put freedom first, then the good and evil second. I don't believe in traditions.
    These are incredibly vague.

What do you mean by "don't believe in traditions"?

Freedom for everything? To what extent? No laws? No consequences? How far does this go?