New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm chaotic neutral. I put freedom first, then the good and evil second. I don't believe in traditions.
    I'd love to join this discussion, but it gets dangerously close to... something.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It doesn't. The unit of mass is the pound. The unit of force is either the poundal or the pound-force. They're not the same thing.
    Never heard of them, or heard people use them. Have the users never heard of SI, or the Newton?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Like most dyspraxic people I don't so much have a single dominant hand but switch to whatever is easier for the task. In fact logically I'd write with my left, but I think I learnt with my right so as to not smudge the ink.

I plan to retry fencing with my left hand.
    Sparring with a left-handed fencer is difficult. Not really that different regarding footwork - but he attacked my weak side all the time and more often than not I fell for the trap of expecting a blow that came from different side. I was usually paired with a left-handed guy and he really had advantage as he attacked me from the "wrong" side. I received more than I gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm not the king of gifts man. Gifts are culturally about sentimental value, not utility. Sorry your family didn't get you what you wanted.
    How about the idea "Gift should be the thing they want but will not buy themselves"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "It;' the thought that counts" is a toxic idea.

It sounds nice, but in practice, it amounts to people using it as a shield becuase they don't know what the person wants, likes, or has a use for and didn't care to just ask them.
    This has a simple solution: we can change the tradition to "If you don't know, don't buy anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Must... resist... urge... to make... lewd... jokes...
    Oh, you know you want to! Give in to the temptation of discussing archaic units of mesasurement! All those pecks, rods, cups... and hogshead (2 hogsheads especially)...!
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    These are incredibly vague.

What do you mean by "don't believe in traditions"?

Freedom for everything? To what extent? No laws? No consequences? How far does this go?
    A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Never heard of them, or heard people use them. Have the users never heard of SI, or the Newton?
    The Newton as a unit has only existed since 1948, are you assuming nobody ever needed to do force calculations before that date? And you can see it used all over the place--for example, the Wikipedia article on the Rocketdyne F-1 engine gives the thrust in units of both lbf and Newtons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocketdyne_F-1

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    That is because you are missing 2 seldom used units: barleycorns and hands. There are 3 barleycorns to an inch, 4 inches to a hand, 3 hands to a foot and 3 feet to a yard.
    This information has only increased my loathing for the imperial system of measurements.

6. - Top - End - #336

The true story of Issac Newton is a bit more interesting than the "apple falls, therefore gravity."

It was a windy day and the wind was strong enough to not only noticeably push the apple as it fell but noticeably slow its fall as it did so, which Newton saw and concluded that clearly "things fall down" isn't an inherent law but rather that there's some invisible force that causes things to fall down and other forces—such as the momentum from wind—can affect it to various degrees, and that train of thought led to the mechanics of gravity and orbits.

Notably, Newton wasn't a physicist. Primarily, he was an alchemist. And he was still trying to make a philosopher's stone when alchemy was dying out and most remaining alchemists had given up on things like that as myths and metaphors and were building the foundations of what we would now consider "real" chemistry.

The fact that Newton believed in what basically amounts to magic may be part of the reason why he was able to come up with his theories: His theories on gravity were initially rejected becuase "invisible and intangible forces" didn't seem particularly scientific.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Notably, Newton wasn't a physicist.
    That part is debatable, since he kind of invented physics. He wasn't a physicist before, but he certainly was after.

Frankly, my favorite Newton fact is that while he was inventing physics, he was struggling with the math, so he went ahead and invented calculus to make the physics he just invented easier.

Sorry, Leibniz. You deserve more street cred, but that was just plain impressive.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-12 at 10:15 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite part about Newton is that apparently he ended up taking a job that involved a lot of hanging out in seedy bars.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That reminds me of an old Garfield/U.S. Acres cartoon called Grabbity.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The conversion between the them is a unit of acceleration called a "G" right?

I learned that from this guy.
    Seriously, watch the linked video. It's amazing.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.
    Seems kind of strange that you'd consider yourself someone who "opposes authority" and yet remain on one of the most restrictive forums I've seen.

This also doesn't answer my question about in what way you're opposed to tradition. Though, it does answer my question about freedom to some degree, with it being your freedom you're prioritizing.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Seems kind of strange that you'd consider yourself someone who "opposes authority" and yet remain on one of the most restrictive forums I've seen.

This also doesn't answer my question about in what way you're opposed to tradition. Though, it does answer my question about freedom to some degree, with it being your freedom you're prioritizing.
    You know family traditions. I oppose to that.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-02-12 at 09:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

You know family traditions. I oppose to that.
    Okay. Why are you opposed to family traditions?

14. - Top - End - #344

Seriously, watch the linked video. It's amazing.
    Oh I got super excited when I saw the style and then looked who did it. I love thir videos, planning to check that one out when I get home!

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh I got super excited when I saw the style and then looked who did it. I love thir videos, planning to check that one out when I get home!
    Don't read the comments section until you've seen the whole thing. It's civil, as far as Youtube comments go, but it also spoils the joke by directly quoting the punchline.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay. Why are you opposed to family traditions?
    It just too traditional and boring for me. I used to love family traditions but it just too commercial and conventional nowadays. Since we still in the pandemic and such. There nothing to celebrated family traditions.

17. - Top - End - #347

Don't read the comments section,
    It's youtube. I rarely do.
    It just too traditional and boring for me. I used to love family traditions but it just too commercial and conventional nowadays. Since we still in the pandemic and such. There nothing to celebrated family traditions.
    It sounds like you dislike your own family's specific traditions.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-12 at 10:40 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348

That part is debatable, since he kind of invented physics. He wasn't a physicist before, but he certainly was after.

Frankly, my favorite Newton fact is that while he was inventing physics, he was struggling with the math, so he went ahead and invented calculus to make the physics he just invented easier.

Sorry, Leibniz. You deserve more street cred, but that was just plain impressive.
    That is pretty fancy of him, honestly.

I only know the bad things he did, like "look at the sun a lot", "put a needle throgh his cornea" and "create a fate-engine that almost destroyed an entire world with its powerful mecha army".

For you, anyway.

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That is pretty fancy of him, honestly.

I only know the bad things he did, like "look at the sun a lot", "put a needle throgh his cornea" and "create a fate-engine that almost destroyed an entire world with its powerful mecha army".
    Plus everything Rater said about his alchemy. You know what they say, don't meet your heroes.

Unless that hero is Fred Rogers, of course.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-12 at 10:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350

"Some people are better than other people. They should not be mistreated just becuase they are faster or stronger or smarter than someone else."

"At the same time, that does not mean that these people get to be asshats to people who are not on the same intellectual or athletic level that they are. One person being superior by some metric does not make the other person inferior."

I regularly find myself in a situation where this needs to be brought up and inevitably people attack me for it. Usually, they tend to ignore that the second statement is arguably more important than the first.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It sounds like you dislike your own family's specific traditions.
    It just that a long time ago when I was a little boy we used to celebrated Christmas as a family but as the year's gone by we don't do it anyway more because it just got boring now and we stop having traditions.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

The solution is to kidnap unsuspecting bystanders partners and bring them along, so they can get confused at all your traditions like hunt the womble and your strange variant Charades rules.

Make sure you ask your partner for permission before kidnapping them.

Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The solution is to kidnap unsuspecting bystanders partners and bring them along, so they can get confused at all your traditions like hunt the womble and your strange variant Charades rules.

Make sure you ask your partner for permission before kidnapping them.
    I can tell that you're joking.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

I can tell that you're joking.
    Not really? Mostly about how Christmas traditions in the UK noticeably change as you walk down a street. It seems to be written into the fabric of the people that a marriage cannot consist of two people with compatible Christmas traditions.

Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Not really? Mostly about how Christmas traditions in the UK noticeably change as you walk down a street. It seems to be written into the fabric of the people that a marriage cannot consist of two people with compatible Christmas traditions.
    Oh ok then.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

It just that a long time ago when I was a little boy we used to celebrated Christmas as a family but as the year's gone by we don't do it anyway more because it just got boring now and we stop having traditions.
    This sounds like you want traditions, not that you're opposed to them.

It sounds like you want it to be like when you were a kid, and everything was fun.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

This sounds like you want traditions, not that you're opposed to them.

It sounds like you want it to be like when you were a kid, and everything was fun.
    You're right. Traditions were fun for me but not anymore. I do think about all the good memories when I was a little boy with my family.

So for me being Chaotic Neutral maybe, I might be a bit Lawful or even True Neutral, to say the least. But I do see the goodness in me. So I I may be Neutral Good or even Lawful Good.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

You know what they say, don't meet your heroes.
    Seems awfully shortsighted to me. Heroes are people too, with all the gigantic-bundle-of-contradictions that entails; and deserve to be treated as such, with all the good and bad that entails.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Dude. Stop trying to guess your own alignment.

You don't have one. Alignment is fake.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dude. Stop trying to guess your own alignment.

You don't have one. Alignment is fake.
    I believe they're real. I see it everywhere.