New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I believe they're real. I see it everywhere.
    No. You see behavior everywhere, and you might indirectly see morality and ethics everywhere, but not alignment.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    No. You see behavior everywhere, and you might indirectly see morality and ethics everywhere, but not alignment.
    Well if you say so, I'm disappointed. I wish alignment was real.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyway...

Is it just me, or does moderately-edgy rock-music hit differently after staying up all night?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Anyway...

Is it just me, or does moderately-edgy rock-music hit differently after staying up all night?
    What are you defining as moderately-edgy rock music?

But probably.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    What are you defining as moderately-edgy rock music?
    Currently? This.

It's been labelled "emo" and "metal" but the band at least claims to be rock, and I'll take their word for it.

Previously, it has been (among other things) Hey You by Pink Floyd.

Lots of things with "worm" in the lyrics.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-02-12 at 12:59 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Seems awfully shortsighted to me. Heroes are people too, with all the gigantic-bundle-of-contradictions that entails; and deserve to be treated as such, with all the good and bad that entails.
    The point is that part of what makes them heroes is that we only see them as one-dimensional constructs instead of as people. If you can see them as a person, they aren't a hero to you.

I'm not sure I agree with the second half, but it's a common enough occurrence I'm likely wrong.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    That is because you are missing 2 seldom used units: barleycorns and hands. There are 3 barleycorns to an inch, 4 inches to a hand, 3 hands to a foot and 3 feet to a yard.
    Hands I know are real, usually only used to measure horses and not combined with feet or yards, thus it is usual to say that a horse is 12 or 16 hands high at the shoulder, which I think is where the neck meets the back. Wikipedia calls that the "withers":

The height of horses is measured at the highest point of the withers, where the neck meets the back.[23] This point is used because it is a stable point of the anatomy, unlike the head or neck, which move up and down in relation to the body of the horse.

In English-speaking countries, the height of horses is often stated in units of hands and inches: one hand is equal to 4 inches (101.6 mm). The height is expressed as the number of full hands, followed by a point, then the number of additional inches, and ending with the abbreviation "h" or "hh" (for "hands high"). Thus, a horse described as "15.2 h" is 15 hands plus 2 inches, for a total of 62 inches (157.5 cm) in height.[24]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse#...nd_measurement

I am not half so convinced about barleycorn, there's a traditional song about making beer or maybe whisky "John Barleycorn must die", but I don't remember it being a unit of length. Wikipedia likes it, but then Wikipedia is debatable.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-02-12 at 02:22 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Seems awfully shortsighted to me. Heroes are people too, with all the gigantic-bundle-of-contradictions that entails; and deserve to be treated as such, with all the good and bad that entails.
    The point is that part of what makes them heroes is that we only see them as one-dimensional constructs instead of as people. If you can see them as a person, they aren't a hero to you.

I'm not sure I agree with the second half, but it's a common enough occurrence I'm likely wrong.
    Yes; insisting heroes must be caricatures of people, instead of people, is indeed the awfully shortsighted part. They aren't heroes because they have no flaws, they're heroes because they didn't let their flaws stop them. And in any case; if you find the hero doesn't live up to the ideals you expected of them, you're better off not conflating the hero with the ideals.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Yes; insisting heroes must be caricatures of people, instead of people, is indeed the awfully shortsighted part. They aren't heroes because they have no flaws, they're heroes because they didn't let their flaws stop them. And in any case; if you find the hero doesn't live up to the ideals you expected of them, you're better off not conflating the hero with the ideals.
    I remember reading a definition of a hero somewhere... it was something along the lines of "A hero is not more courageous. He is courageous 5 minutes longer."

I liked that definition
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

10. - Top - End - #370

Honestly, heroes probably exist solely as a stand in for the ideals. So it may well be impossible to separate them.

And halfeye, you snark at Steve Winwood at your own peril.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Out of session campaign discussions, they really are a thing of beauty.

You begin at discussing the mechanics of creating a quick-deploy Waystone, and therefore making the elves go from 'annoyed you're asking us about them' to 'what are you doing with the sacred obect', and end up at 'farm wizard is probably an in-universe slur for the Jade College'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, heroes probably exist solely as a stand in for the ideals. So it may well be impossible to separate them.
    Ideals are bereft of action. They are goals without pursuit, destinations without travel, packages without delivery, ideas without execution, designs without implementation.

Heroes act on their ideals, and accomplish what they represent. That's why they exist: Because an ideal that's never pursued isn't worth the fleck of electrons that represent it in on a server somewhere. And that is why it's shortsighted to not accept that heroes are people: Because people can be heroes, and that's why ideals have a place in the world.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

And halfeye, you snark at Steve Winwood at your own peril.
    Steve Winwood? I'm seeing Robbie Burns quoted as "not the originator" on Wikipedia. I was merely saying I knew of the song, but not of the measure of length.

"John Barleycorn" is an English folk song[1] (Roud 164). The character of John Barleycorn in the song is a personification of the important cereal crop barley and of the alcoholic beverages made from it, beer and whisky.

Kathleen Herbert draws a link between the mythical figure Beowa (a figure stemming from Anglo-Saxon paganism that appears in early Anglo-Saxon royal genealogies whose name means "barley") and the figure of John Barleycorn. Herbert says that Beowa and Barleycorn are one and the same, noting that the folksong details the suffering, death, and resurrection of Barleycorn, yet also celebrates the "reviving effects of drinking his blood".

Countless versions of this song exist. A Scottish poem with a similar theme, "Quhy Sowld Nocht Allane Honorit Be", is included in the Bannatyne Manuscript of 1568 and English broadside versions from the 17th century are common. Robert Burns published his own version in 1782, and modern versions abound. Burns's version makes the tale somewhat mysterious and, although not the original, it became the model for most subsequent versions of the ballad.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barleycorn
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-02-12 at 04:39 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #374

"John Barleycorn" is an English folk song. "John Barleycorn Must Die" is an album by Traffic that started as a solo album by Winwood.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Colossus in the Playground

Weird confession time: When I was a kid, I studied really hard hoping that if I got smart enough I'd get psychic powers.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Weird confession time: When I was a kid, I studied really hard hoping that if I got smart enough I'd get psychic powers.
    Even the greatest minds possessed psychic powers. I can name one. The Brain in DC comics. He's sort of possessing psychic powers.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-02-12 at 05:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Silly Rater. I remember reading a book that explained that they come from a lack of study.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Silly Rater. I remember reading a book that explained that they come from a lack of study.
    Roald Dahl stories aren't exactly based in reality, Anonymouswizard.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ideals are bereft of action. They are goals without pursuit, destinations without travel, packages without delivery, ideas without execution, designs without implementation.

Heroes act on their ideals, and accomplish what they represent. That's why they exist: Because an ideal that's never pursued isn't worth the fleck of electrons that represent it in on a server somewhere. And that is why it's shortsighted to not accept that heroes are people: Because people can be heroes, and that's why ideals have a place in the world.
    Meh there is a philosophical argument that the hero isn't the person doing the "heroic act" but the image of the person that the outsider who considers that person a hero that exists in said outsiders head.
    Basically the mental image people have is the hero not the actual person with whom that image in theory correlates.

As such they become personifications of whatever people hang on their image. We do this with villains too. And celebrities. And quite people in our own lives who exist at some distance (grandparents, ex-romantic partners, etc).

One of the reasons heroes and villains work so well as allegorical figures IMO.

But very unhealthy for the treatment of the human being who gets confused with the image in the head of other people. The treatment is rarely good in terms of authentic personal connects, mental health, and often physical health for the person in question (be they considered an outsider, or a threat (burn the heretic! witch! insert villain of the day), hero, romantic ideal, or movie star). Makes me think of the Rita Hayworth quote "Every man I knew went to bed with Gilda... and woke up with me." (the exact wording varies in google but close). It's Gilda that is the "hero" in this case..a mental idea of a person who hold various emotional and idealistic connections in the head of said men (in this example).

Also why it is so much easier to treat the dead this way...they can't come a pop the mental bubble.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, likwe you've never met a giant cricket.

I remember seeing James with a giant peach in real life. But then again, he did spend a lot of time on Tinder

Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Meh there is a philosophical argument that the hero isn't the person doing the "heroic act" but the image of the person that the outsider who considers that person a hero that exists in said outsiders head.
    Basically the mental image people have is the hero not the actual person with whom that image in theory correlates.
    That argument applies to all people, and heroes are people; yes.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That argument applies to all people, and heroes are people; yes.
    I'd it applies to heroes far more than most people. They take this effect to extremes. Hell you don't even need the actual human to even be real and I think that really proves my point far more. That the thing that makes them a hero is in the minds of the people who give them that status rather in anything they actually do.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I'd it applies to heroes far more than most people. They take this effect to extremes. Hell you don't even need the actual human to even be real and I think that really proves my point far more. That the thing that makes them a hero is in the minds of the people who give them that status rather in anything they actually do.
    Hmm....In that case, the aforementioned "don't meet your heroes" suggests deliberately maintaining such extremes in situations where it could make a difference (fictional characters are by definition only as established as far as creators have chosen to establish them, and meeting them isn't going to change that even if it's somehow possible). Certainly seems shortsighted to me.

I think it was Thoreau who said "the fault finder will find faults, even in paradise"? In a day and age where it's easy to find stupid/disgusting things people have said, over a decade after the fact, it's so much easier to find out that real heroes have always been flawed; like the people they are. Continuing to believe heroes need to be flawless is that much closer to believing heroes can't really exist. Which, you know, is sad all around.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I thought lots of kids tried to develop psychic powers.

Certainly most of the ones that watched Star Wars anyway.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

"John Barleycorn" is an English folk song. "John Barleycorn Must Die" is an album by Traffic that started as a solo album by Winwood.
    It's also the main theme of the traditional folk song:

Burns's version runs:

There was three kings unto the east,
    Three kings both great and high,
    And they hae sworn a solemn oath
    John Barleycorn should die.
    Many more verses follow, but that's the first.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Or even Pokemon.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I watched Star Wars and as a result I'm still trying to!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #388
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I watched Star Wars and as a result I'm still trying to!
    Well you could just There is no mind control citizen, return to your fun.

I will go back to my fun.

My favorite poem right now is "Curfew must not ring tonight", partially because Katherine Hepburn recites a big part of it during the climactic scene of "Desk Set" to great effect. Anyway, the talk of "John Barleycorn must Die" made me think of that.

Then there is "John Tucker Must Die". I wonder if it is based on the song in some way.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2021-02-12 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #389

Star Wars is more like magic than the pop-culture depiction of psychic powers.

You're a space monk or a hermit or a dark sorcerer, by training and meditating to control your emotions/ride out your passions you can move things with your mind, befuddle people's senses and implant suggestions in their thoughts, conjure lightning, manipulate the weather, heal people, achieve a form of immortality, and in Legends make fire and strengthen your mind and will be going on a spirit quest and murdering the frack out of the embodiments of your regrets.

you can learn multible force tricks.

With psychic powers It's more that it's an inherent thing: Once you have it, you have it. You can get better and more versatile at the one or two tricks you have but you'll only have those one or two tricks unless something happens to make more show up.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Y'all Matilda had psionic powers because she wasn't being challenged in school. You don't WANT psychic powers, it means you're so ****ing bored your brain is literally leaking out into the world.

... jokes aside I'd love to have psionic abilities, and have definitely pretended/tried to develop them.