New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Y'all Matilda had psionic powers because she wasn't being challenged in school. You don't WANT psychic powers, it means you're so ****ing bored your brain is literally leaking out into the world.

... jokes aside I'd love to have psionic abilities, and have definitely pretended/tried to develop them.
    Honestly, I prefer the movie where the psychic powers were just a thing she just kind of got.

It takes away from the Dahl-esque whimsy but it doesn't break my brain.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Imean, it depends on what media source you're taking the psychic powers from. They run the gamut from being a massive amount if control naturally to barely any strength at all and only achieved under significant strain or duress. There's no "this is the only way psychic power works".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, it depends on what media source you're taking the psychic powers from. They run the gamut from being a massive amount if control naturally to barely any strength at all and only achieved under significant strain or duress. There's no "this is the only way psychic power works".
    Well yes but if your going to imagine you having and wielding something like awesome superpowers, your generally not going to wonder how much it sucks unless your writing a deconstruction or "Page" character to use Homestuck terminology. Generally your going to make them work awesomely, because there is no rule against them doing so.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well yes but if your going to imagine you having and wielding something like awesome superpowers, your generally not going to wonder how much it sucks unless your writing a deconstruction or "Page" character to use Homestuck terminology. Generally your going to make them work awesomely, because there is no rule against them doing so.
    Even then, professor X and Jean Grey have very different abilities.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm the most powerful psychic in the world. I can mind-crushing everyone with my psychic abilities.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #396

Even then, professor X and Jean Grey have very different abilities.
    Not really: They're both telepaths, Epmpath's, and telekinesis with their teleathy being their primary power.

Jean as a "True" Omega Level mutant (Xavier is considered an Omega Level telepath in-universe but doesn't actually meet the strict qualifications and ins't considered one officially) will, if she keeps up her practice, eventually dwarf Xaiver in telepathy and Xaiver's telekinesis is limited to manip[ualting specially designed controls on his plane and is too weak to do anything else, but otherwise their powers are identical.

(Xaiver's lack of usable telekinesis has something to do with a car accident)

Technically, both of their telepathic abilities are based in part on telekinetically manipulating the other person's brain: Notably, Xaiver was able to use his telepathy to fix minor brain damage that Rogue had as part of her therapy to help her control her powers.

(As a rule of thumb, if a mutant can' control their powers it's either a psychological issue that can be fixed with psychotherapy or the result of brain damage. In Rogue's case, a little of both. This is of course, excluding people like Wolverine, whose powers are passive enhancements to natural abilities or permanent anatomical alterations. Those powers aren't meant to turn off in the first place.)

If you want an example of psychics with different powers, you'd want Proteus. Proteus's psionic powers, rather than manifesting as telepathy or psychokinesis, are just "the world in my immediate vicinity changes based on my thoughts and feelings."

...Unfortunately, he's a psychic ghost who needs to possess people to live, his powers burn out people's bodies, and having an incompatible body or a body that's too burned out has a severely detrimental effect on his sanity. Currently, he's been set up with a steady supply of braindead clones of Xavier and seems to be stable, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #397

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    if she keeps up her practice
    So would you count her as psychic or more like the Force/magic, since she needs practice and consistent concerted effort to grow and maintain her abilities?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I had a funny dream.
    A Troll Deathknight from WoW was using an angelic heavy gun from Darksiders to clear a bunch of WH40k chaos dreadnoughts and spawn an elite he blown up in like 3 seconds, then the camera angle changed to see the troll do a "meh" shoulder pose.
    The whole thing was a looping gif meme about overlevelling, and all i could think about is how freakin' HD the night lighting was.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I had a funny dream.
    A Troll Deathknight from WoW was using an angelic heavy gun from Darksiders to clear a bunch of WH40k chaos dreadnoughts and spawn an elite he blown up in like 3 seconds, then the camera angle changed to see the troll do a "meh" shoulder pose.
    The whole thing was a looping gif meme about overlevelling, and all i could think about is how freakin' HD the night lighting was.
    I had a dream that I beat a male orc barbarian at an arm wrestle the other night.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

So would you count her as psychic or more like the Force/magic, since she needs practice and consistent concerted effort to grow and maintain her abilities?
    With the categorization you laid out earlier.. I'd probably class it as 'psychic'? Most mutants would be - the 'growth' of their powers is usually related to them getting over a personal hangup that was preventing them from using the full extent of their ability, or just realizing that their mutant talent always had more applications than they think. It gets kinda fuzzy with the broader powers tho, since it tends to take significant practice and development for the characters to find out what their real limits are, especially when somebody has the very nature of their power recast to something that has much wider applications. (Like how Iceman turned 'I make ice' into 'I control the fundamental energy level of stuff, which happened to first manifest as turning things cold.' Or possibly he's an Avatar of Elemental Ice these days, don't @ me I have only a very top-level familiarity with the character.)

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    With the categorization you laid out earlier..
    I don't believe I laid out any categorization.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Y'all Matilda had psionic powers because she wasn't being challenged in school. You don't WANT psychic powers, it means you're so ****ing bored your brain is literally leaking out into the world.

... jokes aside I'd love to have psionic abilities, and have definitely pretended/tried to develop them.
    Yes, I have read the book. I'd also like to point out that her powers coming from boredom is only a hypothesis, albeit the most likely one considering she loses them sheet being bumped up a few years. Never liked how the film changed that, especially since it changed the setting to one where being moved ahead is more common.

...sometimes I still make have gestures at automatic doors do I can pretend I opened then with my Jedi powers.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #403

BlackDragon

The extreme end of that is the "Many-Coloured Land" series of books from Julian May, where the "metapsychics" of the setting are mages in all but name--they can fly, shapeshift into other creatures, walk through walls, and so on. The most powerful of them was capable of levitating 900 knights in full armour riding horses *and* 26 aircraft, all at the same time.

14. - Top - End - #404

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Obviously, a psychic need to practice their powers. Most people would.

But no matter how much Jean Grey practices her powers, she's never going to be able to shoot lightning out of her fingertips.

Furthermore, while her telepathy will keep growing more powerful if she keeps using it, her empathy and telepathy are limited and eventually, she's gonna run into a wall she just can't break through with them.

(And, as a reminder: The Phoenix Force is a separate being from Jean, its powers are counted separately.)

A wizard or a force user doesn't have those limitations: They can just... learn some other spell, power, or trick. That's usually how it works.

A D&D style sorcerer or warlock is a bit more limited, they can't theoretically learn infinite powers given enough time, but they still have options: A psychic starts out with a handful of tricks and very rarely gets more. Instead, they just get better at what they start with.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ...sometimes I still make have gestures at automatic doors do I can pretend I opened then with my Jedi powers.
    You should have seen the look on my daughter's face when I did that first time in front of her .
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

16. - Top - End - #406

And now I'm remembering the car commercial where Dad's using the remote to open the door on the mini-van while his son in the Vader mask gestures.

17. - Top - End - #407

So, who here remembers the time that Iron Man tried to force Thor to relocate Asgard(which had been plopped down on Land that Thor legally owned but was legally United States Soil) and to register under the Super Human Registration Act and Thor responded by strangling Tony(through the armor) and stating that he was taking the land for Asgard and that if anyone showed up to demand that he move Asgard or harass Asgardians about registering that he would kill them and if necessary conjure a massive and implicitly very destructive storm becuase he's a God and is sick and tired of dealing with the petty squabbles of mortals.

And got away scot-free for doing so.

Some comic book fans think it is okay for Thor to do that in regards to the registration act but it's not okay for the mutants to say "okay, we're sick and tired of being the victims of hate crimes and government-sanctioned genocides, so this cool island we found is now its own country. If you recognize our sovereignty and promise to stop murdering us we'll give you some special medicines that will drastically improve your quality of life."

This frustrates me to no end.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

So, who here remembers the time that Iron Man tried to force Thor to relocate Asgard(which had been plopped down on Land that Thor legally owned but was legally United States Soil) and to register under the Super Human Registration Act and Thor responded by strangling Tony(through the armor) and stating that he was taking the land for Asgard and that if anyone showed up to demand that he move Asgard or harass Asgardians about registering that he would kill them and if necessary conjure a massive and implicitly very destructive storm becuase he's a God and is sick and tired of dealing with the petty squabbles of mortals.

And got away scot-free for doing so.

Some comic book fans think it is okay for Thor to do that in regards to the registration act but it's not okay for the mutants to say "okay, we're sick and tired of being the victims of hate crimes and government-sanctioned genocides, so this cool island we found is now its own country. If you recognize our sovereignty and promise to stop murdering us we'll give you some special medicines that will drastically improve your quality of life."

This frustrates me to no end.
    If I recall correctly, Thor (like most any deity) represents power well above the traditional, and mutants represent a class of people actively disparaged by traditional power....So yes, frustratingly realistic.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

I have so many questions.

You can relocate Asgard?

Does that mean Atlantis teleported to another planet instead of exploding?

Why did it take so long to get into bronze age RPGs?

Can I put the Molnjr (spelling?) Enhancement on, say, a supercomputer?

What should I have for dinner?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If I recall correctly, Thor (like most any deity) represents power well above the traditional, and mutants represent a class of people actively disparaged by traditional power....So yes, frustratingly realistic.
    People like to say that the mutant metaphor doesn't work because mutants potentially are dangerous.

I point out that they're ignoring that mutants don't exist in a vacuum—there's very little meaningful difference between Iceman and the Human Torch. The time Iceman was brainwashed into causing as ice age gets cited as a reason to fear mutants but nobody gives a damn that the Human Torch regularly risks setting the atmosphere on fire.

People cite examples of other superhumans being treated badly and say that the double standard I'm pointing out doesn't exist. I point out that that hatred is universally on an individual basis—J. Jonah Jameson gives Spider-Man crap but openly admires Silk—those people aren't constantly hated, and with maybe the exception of the Hulk no one received hatred on the same level as mutants.

And this gets ignored and the conversation goes in circles and I can never get anyone to give me a straight answer about why it's okay when Thor does it but not okay when mutants do it or for anyone to acknowledge that a double standard exists that doesn't involve a bunch of deflection and nitpicking and denial.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

People like to say that the mutant metaphor doesn't work because mutants potentially are dangerous.

I point out that they're ignoring that mutants don't exist in a vacuum—there's very little meaningful difference between Iceman and the Human Torch. The time Iceman was brainwashed into causing as ice age gets cited as a reason to fear mutants but nobody gives a damn that the Human Torch regularly risks setting the atmosphere on fire.

People cite examples of other superhumans being treated badly and say that the double standard I'm pointing out doesn't exist. I point out that that hatred is universally on an individual basis—J. Jonah Jameson gives Spider-Man crap but openly admires Silk—those people aren't constantly hated, and with maybe the exception of the Hulk no one received hatred on the same level as mutants.

And this gets ignored and the conversation goes in circles and I can never get anyone to give me a straight answer about why it's okay when Thor does it but not okay when mutants do it or for anyone to acknowledge that a double standard exists that doesn't involve a bunch of deflection and nitpicking and denial.
    No one denies a double standard exists? The whole point of the Mutants is how unfair society is, and how they get treated badly for doing the same things others are praised for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    No one denies a double standard exists? The whole point of the Mutants is how unfair society is, and how they get treated badly for doing the same things others are praised for.
    There are fans who do. They insist that it makes perfect sense to hate and fear mutants because they're potentially dangerous and therefore that mutants are a bad metaphor for groups that face discrimination and alienation.

These people consistently ignore that nobody else gets that kind of hate despite those reasons applying equally to all superhumans.

I point out that they're ignoring a massive double standard and cite instances that logically would have people up in arms against other supers if every superhuman was held to the same standards, and I get accused of white-washing mutants(what?) deflecting from the point, and "what-aboutism."

It's frustrating.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly that's often how it goes: People with double standards, or who aren't willing to engage in introspection to consider if they have double standards, are so concerned with the appearance of having double standards that they'll go to lengths to shift attention away from the subject.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #414

I don't think the issue of "sometimes some people have double standards" is restricted to comic book fans.

25. - Top - End - #415

I don't think the issue of "sometimes some people have double standards" is restricted to comic book fans.
    Yeah. Why is it crossdressing if a man wears a skirt but women can wear men's work jeans and nobody bats an eye?

The only way a man can get away with a skirt is if he's a Scottish national fresh off the boat and it's a proper tartan kilt.

Regular pants are uncomfortable and I get criticized for wearing sweatpants or pajamas in public, I have no options.

But seriously, it's like "here are people who deal with every conceivable form of discrimination and alienation. And in this storyline, they're fed up with the constant discrimination, hate crimes, and government-sponsored genocides and are going to be proactive about it."
    "But they're just proving the people who try to kill them right!"

Every time. Every god damn time.

And it upsets and frustrates me.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-13 at 04:30 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #416

It sounds like they're the very people the mutant-as-oppressed-minority theme are warning against, the ones who are not only comfortable with oppression but happy about it. There's also the small detail that Thor is a blond-haired blue-eyed white guy.

You probably can't engage successfully with those people, so it might be best to admit that before engaging.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It sounds like they're the very people the mutant-as-oppressed-minority theme are warning against, the ones who are not only comfortable with oppression but happy about it. There's also the small detail that Thor is a blond-haired blue-eyed white guy.

You probably can't engage successfully with those people, so it might be best to admit that before engaging.
    I don't think it's that for a lot of the ones I've seen, I think it's just a bunch of people who are irrationally attached to the idea that mutants are a bad stand-in for minorites

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Bill Nighy is the best Samwise Gamgee ever recorded. This is clearly objective fact. Or my personal opinion. Still, that Fall of Gil-Galad recordimng is amazing and is why I know those three verses.

Show

29. - Top - End - #419

Sometimes I imagine shedding my skin like a snake and when I recover my bones don't hurt anymore and I have superpowers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #420

eek Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Just discovered Kim's Convenience. Loving it, especially since I really resonate with a lot of the jokes because of my wife and MIL.