New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    New rule: If you specify a country, you only get the type of food you'd get if you went to a takeaway restaurant overseas.

e.g. An American takeaway restaurant in Japan.
    So... Kentucky Fried Chicken? Surprisingly popular in japan.

...Actually, no. It's not that surprising. To my knowledge, there isn't a culture in the world that didn't adopt the consumption of chicken in some form when the chicken was introduced, if they weren't already eating something similar.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "some people can't eat pork, but everyone likes chicken." I think that's accurate. I think that the only people who don't have at least one chicken-based meal that they like are people who don't eat meat in the first place for whatever reason.

And even then, I don't think people who refuse to eat meat do it becuase they don't like the taste of meat: It's always for reasons of health, ethics, or culture. There are probably people who legitimately don't like the taste of meat out there somewhere, but I don't think there would be so many attempts to imitate the texture and flavor of burgers and bacon and the like with processed plant and fungal proteins if the flavor and texture of meat was the main reason people didn't eat it.

...And now I want some veggie-bacon.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

IIRC modern chickens were originally indigenous to southeast Asia.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #453

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    IIRC modern chickens were originally indigenous to southeast Asia.
    Modern chickens are a domesticated form of south-east Asian jungle fowl, yes.

They're also believed to be the closest living relative of the Tyrannosaurs in general and a direct evolutionary descendant of the T. rex in specific.

This would be the example to cite to anyone who thinks that "evolutionary levels" with "more evolved" organisms are bigger, stronger, and smarter than their ancestors exist in real life.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So if I say "Australian" I'm limited to Outback Steakhouse?
    And burgers with beetroot (beets), and sausage sizzle, and meat pies. I'm inclined to include fish and chips too.

Indigenous Australian takeaway would be great. Wonder if there's anywhere outside of Australia that does that.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #455

And burgers with beetroot (beets), and sausage sizzle, and meat pies. I'm inclined to include fish and chips too.

Indigenous Australian takeaway would be great. Wonder if there's anywhere outside of Australia that does that.
    Im guessing that, much as "Foster's" is Australian for "beer", all that stuff you said is Australian for "bloomin' onion", "grilled chicken on the barbie", and "the outback burger".

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well I always think of Fosters as MadeForExport

But otherwise clawless lobsters, toothfish, shrimp, and lamb.

But honestly I'd love to try some witchetty grub takeout....that could be interesting.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    clawless lobsters
    Are you referring to Saline Craydads?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spiny Lobster or Rock Lobster.

They are not bad. (We have something similar here in Cali)...prefer shrimp or some crab

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Spiny Lobster or Rock Lobster.
    Right. That's what I said. Marine Crayfathers.

Also known as the "Salty pinchless saltless wet pinchy dry bug."
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-02-15 at 04:15 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

They're also believed to be the closest living relative of the Tyrannosaurs in general and a direct evolutionary descendant of the T. rex in specific.

This would be the example to cite to anyone who thinks that "evolutionary levels" with "more evolved" organisms are bigger, stronger, and smarter than their ancestors exist in real life.
    When humans got on the scene, being tasty became a very helpful adaptation.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't there historically been cultures that farmed chickens for the eggs, not for the meat?

Hope everybody had a great Valentine's Day, desire having to work through it mine was the best I've ever had. Although it would have been even better without lockdown.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-02-15 at 06:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462

A lot of my fantasies involve sleeping/meditating/hiding in a box of some kind while a projected Avatar goes out and does stuff I need to do.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Haven't there historically been cultures that farmed chickens for the eggs, not for the meat?

Hope everybody had a great Valentine's Day, desire having to work through it mine was the best I've ever had. Although it would have been even better without lockdown.
    I'm afraid there's no lady who will have my shriveled black heart.

So I played videogames and ordered mead. Which is pretty good, really.

Shame it looks like my favorite meadery will not sell their produce online anymore, though. They had some really good stuff!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Shame it looks like my favorite meadery will not sell their produce online anymore, though. They had some really good stuff!
    No longer selling online, in a pandemic?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

15. - Top - End - #465

No longer selling online, in a pandemic?
    Their online store front had actually become defunct well before the start the pandemic. I keep hoping they'll restore it at some point, but I suspect that is simply not going to happen. I'm not sure why as the meadery still appears to exist, but I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes there.

I suppose it provides me with some incentive to broaden my horizon and try mead from other places, though.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

I'm afraid there's no lady who will have my shriveled black heart.
    That's fine, boys are cute too Joking aside, I came to the comnclusion years ago that it's nice when singletons can get through the day without reminders.

So I played videogames and ordered mead. Which is pretty good, really.

Sounds like a great day! Think I should make it my standard Thursday routine.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Valentine's Day is usually pretty lonely for me. This year wasn't much different. I did get a box of licorice candy, the kind my Granddad used to like, that was kind of nice.

18. - Top - End - #468

That's fine, boys are cute too Joking aside, I came to the comnclusion years ago that it's nice when singletons can get through the day without reminders.
    Oh, for my part I don't mind the reminders. I'm not going to give anyone grief for celebrating Valentine's and, quite frankly, if I did have a girlfriend then I'd celebrate it too. Corporations can plaster Valentine's ads everywhere too as far as I'm concerned. And there's nothing stopping me from grabbing some bonbons for myself if I'm so inclined.

I confess the lack of romance is still a little frustrating at times, but I don't assign it as much importance as I used to. There's no reason to let it ruin my enjoyment of other things. I've still got a job to do, friends to support, MLP gen 5 to look forward to, videogames to play etc. All of that still continues.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

In Valentine's Day weekend I bought the Ferrano chocolate for my older brother and me to share.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground

T. Rex is not basal to avian dinosaurs versus other theropods. If anything it is rather more derived versus avians than other theropods are. The birds all diverged something like 80 million years ago, but birds diverged from non-avian dinosaurs something like 120 million years ago. One of the big changes that birds have is that their tale is incredibly short, with most of its balancing power provided by feathers rather than bones and flesh. If you put a prosthetic tail on a chicken it does, indeed, adopt a more tyrannosaurid form of locomotion, but that is because they are both theropods, not because T Rex is an ancestor to any modern birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, for my part I don't mind the reminders. I'm not going to give anyone grief for celebrating Valentine's and, quite frankly, if I did have a girlfriend then I'd celebrate it too. Corporations can plaster Valentine's ads everywhere too as far as I'm concerned. And there's nothing stopping me from grabbing some bonbons for myself if I'm so inclined.

I confess the lack of romance is still a little frustrating at times, but I don't assign it as much importance as I used to. There's no reason to let it ruin my enjoyment of other things. I've still got a job to do, friends to support, MLP gen 5 to look forward to, videogames to play etc. All of that still continues.
    I mostly agree with you, but I've previously felt miserable living through the build up. I have no problems with Valentine's Day itself, because most people celebrate it relatively quietly. If I avoided restaurants, cinemas, and broadcast radio/TV the actual day itself was fine, but things like going to work or school the week before started to make me feel miserablish.

Like, no problems with celebrating it, if there wasn't the lockdown it's what I'd have been doing, but I'd like to listen to the radio without being reminded several times an hour (actually, despite being in a relationship that still annoys me).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #472

Things that frustrate me:

I've had annapantsu's cover of The Ballad of Sara Berry stuck in my head for the last several days. I looked into it, listened to the original recording, and discovered that it's part of a collection of songs presented as a "multimedia musical experience" back in 2012 with all of the sounds being based on photographs...

But I cannot find any information about the original production or the photographs the songs are based on anywhere, just the bare bones descriptor of what the show was.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, I've never had a good Valentine's day. Something entirely unrelated to the day always goes wrong. Whether that be broken down or late busses, something around the house breaking or not working right, and other such unfortunate events. I'm not going to say I'm cursed, but...

It was a bit harder this year, because it snowed heavily the day before... meaning that my roommate's girlfriend has been stuck over here for a few days at this point. Which is... hard, because A) reminders of what I don't have, B) aaaaaaaaaaaaa, new potential vector in a pandemic, and C) ...I'm just not used to having this many people in the house. I need space and quiet, and it's just ratcheting up my anxiety.

And my tabletop game the day of was cancelled just a short time before session.

...also, I couldn't get any Sweet hearts this year. I know so many people hate them, but they're a guilty pleasure of mine, and I tend to buy a huge bag of them around this time. But, with them being a bulk candy, ain't trusting it with a pandemic around.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-02-15 at 02:07 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

24. - Top - End - #474

You even mix Sweethearts in with the "batter" when making rice krispie treats, DN? Try it sometime.

25. - Top - End - #475

My mother gave my brother and I a package of six individual size boxes of knock-offs ones "conversation hearts."

One of them had "goat" stamped on it, and "TTYL" and "BFF" have been added to the rotation.

Hopefully, it's just this one brand, but I'm gonna be honest I think the people who make these things are running out of damns to give.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You even mix Sweethearts in with the "batter" when making rice krispie treats, DN? Try it sometime.
    I have not! I... have not had Rice Krispie treats in... oh, man, I don't know how long. I think, like... picking one up at a bake sale at my university a few years ago.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

27. - Top - End - #477

I got a total of eight hours of sleep last night but right now I'm tired.

It's not fair.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

I got a total of eight hours of sleep last night but right now I'm tired.

It's not fair.
    That sure isn't. I had to shovel snow out of the drive way for two hours in the cold earlier so my mother could drive out, and I'm currently in a state of everything aching and being tired, so yeah, my tiredness is totally fair, but I ate a big lunch and am watching a Prof. Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright lets play to recover.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #479

I've been watching Kaiserneko's Bugsnax playthrough on TeamFourStar's gaming channels the last couple of days.(Highligts of whole on TFS gaming, full streams on StreamFourStar seemingly daily. Apprently he did it back in November and they only just now got to uploading the archives to youtube, if anyone's interested.)

Gotta say, I'd read about the game but reading does not do justice to "pokemon+cloudy with a chance of meatballs+muppets+drug allegory+body horror" as a game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #480

Spoiler: THE WHITE DEATH IS UPON US
    Show

The appropriate course of action is to panic.