New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

This conversation is bringing to mind one of the main alien species from Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep". Individually they've got maybe doglike intelligence, but when they gather together into small groups (maybe 4 or 6) then the individual entities communicate sonically with each other through "tympanum" membranes and effectively become an intelligent single brain spread across the group. If one of the group members dies then another individual can join, although this obviously may change the personality of the "person". There's one who has lived without changing for hundreds of years by effectively cloning each part of herself so she has identical replacements available, although the level of inbreeding this requires in their fairly primitive society hasn't been kind of her...

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hence, being the dominant partner in the collective. The hive-queen, the central processing unit, the primary host, the brains of the operation. The part that it can't function without.
    I, too, would like all the best parts of things.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dieting is hard yall. I use what my friend calls the Cordex, where I do my best to calculate my intake and output and then add 15% to my intake calories because I assume I will lie to myself and remove 15% from burned for the same reason.

Turns out I was totally out on how much chicken I eat at lunch. The packaging told me I was eating 460 calories with lunch, I weighed it and I am eating 887. So I'm 400 calories off a day, or almost the entire deficit of 600 I thought I was eating at (and my "maintenance" was actually a surplus.) yay...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The packaging told me I was eating 460 calories with lunch, I weighed it and I am eating 887.
    Calories aren't directly proportional to mass. There are so many cooking factors and additives involved than simple reference tables can't work. How did you do that?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Calories aren't directly proportional to mass. There are so many cooking factors and additives involved than simple reference tables can't work. How did you do that?
    I'm eating pressure cooked chicken. I was using the weight on the packaging but I was taking the calories off of the cooked estimates, so there was a discrepancy. IE I was being lazy and now I don't know exactly how many calories I was eating.

Edit: Looks like I am panicking about nothing, most of the guides suggest to weigh before cooking anyway. Still, I should have researched it earlier then a month into my current diet.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-02-16 at 04:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516

I'm eating pressure cooked chicken. I was using the weight on the packaging but I was taking the calories off of the cooked estimates, so there was a discrepancy. IE I was being lazy and now I don't know exactly how many calories I was eating.
    You do. 460. Meat is sold by weight and so is packed with water as much as possible, because water is cheap, abundant and heavy. But there are still stringent laws regarding food labeling and the company knows exactly how many calories you're getting. To even more significant figures, almost certainly, but they just report what they're required to. But yeah, you can safely state that you ate 460 calories, assuming you ate it all.

7. - Top - End - #517

That feeling when you're watching a Let's Play and you figure out the gimmick for a puzzle boss before the guy playing it does.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

That feeling when you're watching a Let's Play and you figure out the gimmick for a puzzle boss before the guy playing it does.
    combine that feeling with disliking the voices they give them for no reason. sometimes silent walkthroughs are better.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

In my town, for all my life so far, there have been exactly two movie theaters. One of them shows new movies, and the other shows both old movies and community plays. The first time I saw The Wizard of Oz, it was shown in the same theater that shows plays. I was a small child at the time.

I had previously heard that The Wizard of Oz was a play, so when I was told that we were going to see it, I assumed we were going to see the play. When I saw which theater it was being played in, that confirmed it in my child-mind.

The special effects somehow did not tip me off to the fact that it was prerecorded (instead just impressing me with how they had an indoor tornado for the play, "just like in the Shakespeare episode of Jimmy Neutron") so when the color arrived I asked "How did they change makeup so fast‽"
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-02-16 at 10:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #520

So I looked up to see if anyone had made beds shaped like coffins on a lark.

I saw shelves and I got a link to an Amazon listing for actual coffins.

You think that coffin-shaped beds would be a thing but apparently not.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

I rely on that when I'm streaming.

The chat's a super advanced hint book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    combine that feeling with disliking the voices they give them for no reason. sometimes silent walkthroughs are better.
    D=
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2021-02-17 at 05:37 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    (snip)

D=
    Yours is fine, at least IMO.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #523

I rely on that when I'm streaming.

The chat's a super advanced hint book.
    Yeah, but that doesn't help when you're watching a months-old Archive and Chat didn't get it either.

Kaiserneko of Team Four Star beat the Mothza Supreme in Bugsnax by accident in what I think might have been a glitch and I'm just sitting there thinking that what he needed to do seemed pretty obvious and he never even tried it.

Buy the way: Anyone looking for a game to try or let's plays to watch, look up Bugsnax. A surprising amount of depth for a Cartoonish E-10 game about muppets on an island about living food.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #524

Pre-hire interview with potential awesome new job in awesome new city at 7am Saturday!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

D=
    Look, I've never seen your lets plays

My main problem is with people giving ANYTHING the Mushroom Kingdom Toad voice. That voice is not funny, its just nails on chalkboard infuriating. like it drives me to actual rage and urges me to stop watching a lets play or stream to go do literally anything else. I can't stand that one. given that other people for some mystifying, in defiance of all logic reason somehow like that voice, it may just be my own pet peeve but........Toad voice....hates it.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Pre-hire interview with potential awesome new job in awesome new city at 7am Saturday!
    Hurray! Glad to hear it Peelee!

17. - Top - End - #527

Congrats!

My main problem is with people giving ANYTHING the Mushroom Kingdom Toad voice. That voice is not funny, its just nails on chalkboard infuriating. like it drives me to actual rage and urges me to stop watching a lets play or stream to go do literally anything else. I can't stand that one. given that other people for some mystifying, in defiance of all logic reason somehow like that voice, it may just be my own pet peeve but........Toad voice....hates it.
    I promise I will never do you wrong that way

18. - Top - End - #528

Yeah... There are a lot of things I can't watch becuase I hate the way someone's voice sounds.

Sounds do that to you, the wrong count of sound can just...

You ever know someone and they're a nice person, never done anything wrong, but you can't spend any time with them becuase you just hate the sound of their voice. You can't explain why, it's just...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... There are a lot of things I can't watch becuase I hate the way someone's voice sounds.

Sounds do that to you, the wrong count of sound can just...

You ever know someone and they're a nice person, never done anything wrong, but you can't spend any time with them becuase you just hate the sound of their voice. You can't explain why, it's just...
    I know! its kind of stupid! But you hear their voice and its like "oh god how does anyone stand this?" and you know its not their fault, they don't get to choose their voice when they're born but that doesn't its pleasant to listen to, which I know, unfair, and maybe its because my sound sensitivity, but for watching Phoenix Wright lets plays particularly the later ones I've had to make sure the person reading all this aloud is someone whom I'm comfortable listening to before going past first episode, because if they get too annoying I have to switch to somebody else so I can continue seeing the story.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

becuase
    Because.

No offence intended, it's just annoying to read and you seem to do it every time, so I assume it's not just a typo. When I have a word I'm not sure of, I cut-n-paste it into a search engine, and see if that shows up what I expect with the same spelling.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Because.

No offence intended, it's just annoying to read and you seem to do it every time, so I assume it's not just a typo. When I have a word I'm not sure of, I cut-n-paste it into a search engine, and see if that shows up what I expect with the same spelling.
    It is a repeated typo--I'm a fast typer--and my means of sell check doesn't pick it up for some reason.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

... I've had to make sure the person reading all this aloud is someone whom I'm comfortable listening to before going past first episode, because if they get too annoying I have to switch to somebody else so I can continue seeing the story.
    I do sometimes experience this, but most of the time I just.. can't stand waiting for somebody to read every letter in a text-heavy game. I read, at a conservative estimate, 4 to 5 times faster than people speak. Maybe 5-6x when the speaker is themselves reading text and doesn't know what's coming next to preplan for or is trying to interpret and decide how to act the line on the fly. I don't listen to half the voice lines in actual games where the lines are professionally acted by individual people with actual separate voices - I don't have the patience to listen to one person try to do ten different voices as they read off a text-based exposition dump! Or not try to do the voices at all, which I can at least appreciate that most LPers aren't actors... but, you know, the text is on the screen. I can read it the same as you can. If you've got a reaction to what they said I'm interested in that, I don't want to listen to you padding out your video time by reciting the text back to me.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I do sometimes experience this, but most of the time I just.. can't stand waiting for somebody to read every letter in a text-heavy game. I read, at a conservative estimate, 4 to 5 times faster than people speak. Maybe 5-6x when the speaker is themselves reading text and doesn't know what's coming next to preplan for or is trying to interpret and decide how to act the line on the fly. I don't listen to half the voice lines in actual games where the lines are professionally acted by individual people with actual separate voices - I don't have the patience to listen to one person try to do ten different voices as they read off a text-based exposition dump! Or not try to do the voices at all, which I can at least appreciate that most LPers aren't actors... but, you know, the text is on the screen. I can read it the same as you can. If you've got a reaction to what they said I'm interested in that, I don't want to listen to you padding out your video time by reciting the text back to me.
    I mean I'm a fast reader to and totally am behind this viewpoint, its just that my attention wanders and I tab away from something so I can listen while I do other things, but given that I sometimes stop paying attention entirely and go back to replay a bit of the video to see what I missed when I'm confused, I think your way would be better anyways and I just need to focus more or learn to pause videos while my attention is flitting about.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Many lucks!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #535

Does anyone else wish that you could just walk up to someone, poke them, and then everything they know that would be cool or useful for you to know is now your knowledge, too?

Like, not making them forget, just copying the relevant information.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

To be clear, that was self defamation, not taking offence.

I pretty much started streaming to work on my voice, so if my voices are annoying, I'd hope someone said so.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone else wish that you could just walk up to someone, poke them, and then everything they know that would be cool or useful for you to know is now your knowledge, too?

Like, not making them forget, just copying the relevant information.
    I want this, but with books instead.

Not the internet though. I think your brain would explode from all the legitimately horrifying stuff on here.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I always wanted a library inside a pocket dimension where every book that had been or would be written was available. The sections were on archipelagos of a subject, with the islands being which era they were written. Every could be be comprehended by any reader, and there was no time inside the library. Also you can't leave without forgetting what you learned inside, fixing any paradoxes.

29. - Top - End - #539

Every year or so, for between a week to a month, the idea of being inserted into the Dragon Ball storyline, in the body of a Machine Mutant*, sometime in between Goku's fight with Piccolo Junior and Raditz arrival on Earth.

No matter what variation on the thought happens, it usually involves some variation of absorbing, possessing and feeding on, or otherwise victimizing either Tao Pai Pai or a filler/movie villain.

And as I ruminated on this, it occurred to me that ever since high-school(when I got into both Hellsing and the Prototype games) that the idea of killing and/or eating a bad guy or monster to take their powers and use them for has appealed to them.

Is this... Odd? I think I might be too willing to kill hypothetical individuals who are deemed "evil" for my own personal gain.

*initial Bad Guys in GT, living robots complete with techno-organic cells and even DNA that can devour metal and machinery in order to fuel their metabolisms, increase their power, or gain new abilities. The strongest type, Neo Machine Mutants(Who despite the name were the first ones to be made) are parasites that can possess, control, and absorb the biological information and energy from hosts in order to grow and evolve. They range from obviously robotic to looking identical to a human. "Machinery" includes cyborgs, other machine mutants, and bio-mechanical organisms.
    I always wanted a library inside a pocket dimension where every book that had been or would be written was available. The sections were on archipelagos of a subject, with the islands being which era they were written. Every could be be comprehended by any reader, and there was no time inside the library. Also you can't leave without forgetting what you learned inside, fixing any paradoxes.
    That last bit ruins it: If no time passed while you're inside and you forget everything you learn inside, then the best-case scenario is that you've effectively done nothing.

The worst-case scenario is that you're periodically shortening your life by several hours or days for no gain.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Every year or so, for between a week to a month, the idea of being inserted into the Dragon Ball storyline, in the body of a Machine Mutant*, sometime in between Goku's fight with Piccolo Junior and Raditz arrival on Earth.

No matter what variation on the thought happens, it usually involves some variation of absorbing, possessing and feeding on, or otherwise victimizing either Tao Pai Pai or a filler/movie villain.

And as I ruminated on this, it occurred to me that ever since high-school(when I got into both Hellsing and the Prototype games) that the idea of killing and/or eating a bad guy or monster to take their powers and use them for has appealed to them.

Is this... Odd? I think I might be too willing to kill hypothetical individuals who are deemed "evil" for my own personal gain.

*initial Bad Guys in GT, living robots complete with techno-organic cells and even DNA that can devour metal and machinery in order to fuel their metabolisms, increase their power, or gain new abilities. The strongest type, Neo Machine Mutants(Who despite the name were the first ones to be made) are parasites that can possess, control, and absorb the biological information and energy from hosts in order to grow and evolve. They range from obviously robotic to looking identical to a human. "Machinery" includes cyborgs, other machine mutants, and bio-mechanical organisms.

That last bit ruins it: If no time passed while you're inside and you forget everything you learn inside, then the best-case scenario is that you've effectively done nothing.

The worst-case scenario is that you're periodically shortening your life by several hours or days for no gain.
    Nah, it was the pleasure of reading new things that was the attraction. I'm not trying to cheat time space time for unlimited power.