New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Throw out the rest of the pack. One failed badly, which tells you the rest are failing normally (that is, dying).

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Throw out the rest of the pack. One failed badly, which tells you the rest are failing normally (that is, dying).
    That's what I told him, but he insists we don't buy any new ones.

For some reason.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

I hate throwing up. There's now a bucket of bile in my bedroom and it doesn't make me feel any better.

Is this the plague? I know it's an irrational thought, but I'm terrified of potentially losing the ability to climb stairs, I live in a house where it's practically one room per floor.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Reminds of the time Steam recommended Final Fantasy IX because I'd looked at Final Fantasy VIII in the store, and next recommended Final Fantasy VIII because I'd looked at Final Fantasy IX in the store. I'm...not sure recommending two things I'd already looked at, because I'd looked at them, is the best use of a discovery queue.
    Yeah, it gets worse with something like youtube where it recommends videos you already watched, because apparently it thinks you want to watch it again. which makes sense for things of a purely musical nature, but not so much for something with a narrative or even game replays of this or that. I generally wait a while before reading a story again. years much of the time.
    See, I can mostly forgive it on Steam; the algorithm probably gives a list of stuff like "this game, with this supermagical patented score, for this primary reason" and doesn't have any real opportunity to check for circular stuff until the list comes back. I suppose a second pass could reduce the score number for things that have been viewed in the store already; but that would tend to cluster them together, which is what I saw, so for all I know it could have been doing that.

I say "mostly forgive" because I'm pretty sure I'd seen the store page for Final Fantasy IX because of the discovery queue...and then the queue starting filling up with things recommended because of things I'd only seen on the discovery queue, and that I'd just said I wasn't interested in. Biased sampling meets six degrees of separation! It's probably not a coincidence that the thing on Steam's front page that shows recommendations, without throwing you into store pages, showed up soon after that.

But when YouTube's recommendations include the very last video I watched, I feel torn between "If I wanted to watch it again, I'd have watched it again" and "am I really so weird that YouTube doesn't know what to do with me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    A few years back, one of the AA batteries in our stockpile grew a bunch of crusty crystals and began to smell strongly of vinegar. My father insisted we just throw out the one battery and continue using the rest, from the same package. I've been replacing my mouse's battery every few weeks (using the ones Dad told me to use) and it still keeps just... freezing in place at random intervals, sometimes starting again when I click.
    And that's assuming the one failing didn't directly damage the others; battery acid plus metal battery casing is not a good combo. Something like this happened in our Christmas decorations last year, the residue had fried the lights and permanently discolored one of our tablecloths before we noticed. Fortunately the stuff was easily replaceable; something I wouldn't take for granted with a mouse.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It annoys me when I'm watching and older let's play and I have to close the tab for some reason and then my recommended videos show me ones I've already watched or ones later in the queue but makes me go looking for the one I had to stop in the middle of.
    Ctrl-Shift-T doesn't help?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I hate throwing up. There's now a bucket of bile in my bedroom and it doesn't make me feel any better.

Is this the plague? I know it's an irrational thought, but I'm terrified of potentially losing the ability to climb stairs, I live in a house where it's practically one room per floor.
    Be brave Anon, you can get through this.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Be brave Anon, you can get through this.
    I just want sleep so that maybe I don't feel so bad tomorrow.

Like, I know that there are people who have it a lot worse and I'll be fine, but I felt like I couldn't walk without support at one point.

I just wish cuddles were legal at the moment.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #878
    Colossus in the Playground

That's what I told him, but he insists we don't buy any new ones.

For some reason.
    Your dad seems like an idiot. Scare monger him by bringing up that that crusty stuff is acid and it means that all the batteries are compromised and need to be replaced.

You'll be fine, you're probably just regular sick.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Your dad seems like an idiot. Scare monger him by bringing up that that crusty stuff is acid and it means that all the batteries are compromised and need to be replaced.
    I told him that at the time. He insisted it was just the one and said that "sometimes that happens"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #880

I told him that at the time. He insisted it was just the one and said that "sometimes that happens"
    How much TV does your family watch? Swapping the TV remote batteries with fresh ones from the pack might convince him when it starts to inconvenience him.

Does he have a history of this kind of behavior—being frugal is one thing but this is ridiculous
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

We're almost out anyway, and when that happens we'll have to get a new pack.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

A few years back, one of the AA batteries in our stockpile grew a bunch of crusty crystals and began to smell strongly of vinegar. My father insisted we just throw out the one battery and continue using the rest, from the same package. I've been replacing my mouse's battery every few weeks (using the ones Dad told me to use) and it still keeps just... freezing in place at random intervals, sometimes starting again when I click.
    Do you have a battery tester? It should show that they are not delivering adequate voltage.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #883

I took a nap earlier and dreamed that I was watching teamfourstar commenting on a playthrough of a ps2 era 3d modeled game that consisted entirely of you cooking stovetop instant pudding in the derelict kitchen of a haunted house and periodically a rotting green zombie arm would reach out of the cabinet and try to touch the pudding so you'd have to jab it with a fork till it went back in the cabinet.

I think it was supposed to be a mini-game in a bigger game?

I only seem to remember weird dreams.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

I took a nap earlier and dreamed that I was watching teamfourstar commenting on a playthrough of a ps2 era 3d modeled game that consisted entirely of you cooking stovetop instant pudding in the derelict kitchen of a haunted house and periodically a rotting green zombie arm would reach out of the cabinet and try to touch the pudding so you'd have to jab it with a fork till it went back in the cabinet.

Did they come up with an absurd headcanon for why all this is happening that only makes it funnier? Because sometimes they just do voices and not read the rules or details of the game in text bubbles then complain they don't know what to do, and they're funnier when they do the former and not the latter.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #885

Did they come up with an absurd headcanon for why all this is happening that only makes it funnier? Because sometimes they just do voices and not read the rules or details of the game in text bubbles then complain they don't know what to do, and they're funnier when they do the former and not the latter.
    I don't remember. The dream was only a few minutes long(or at least that's what it seemed like, I was out for a couple of hours.) I vaguely recall someone mentioning Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire and Edgar Allen Poe's The Fall of The House of Usher but I don't see the connection.

Team Four Star's involvement is probably becuase I've been rewatching their Fallout 4 playthrough from the begining.
    Spoiler: In case anyone doesn't know the big plot twist of FO4
    Show
    My favorite part is and always will be when they get so caught up in the first meeting with Synth Shawn that kill Father while shooting "what did you do to my son you monster!?" before he even has a chance to proc the conversation and then they just get stuck in that room for a few minutes until they realize that they broke the game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground

That sounds like a legit game. The instant pudding thing is a little specific, but it sounds hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah thats definitely a dream for you, there is no way Team Four Star knows what Interview With a Vampire is. they lack the patience to read videogame text, there is no way they'd be able to read a vampire novel.

(though to be fair that could just be them acting more foolish than they actually are....its hard to tell sometimes.)

I can't remember any specific moment of TFS that I like the most, but F04 was pretty up there. Well technically I like all of YYLAG the most, but there is good reason why that series is a doomed trainwreck and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-03-01 at 10:37 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #888

Yeah thats definitely a dream for you, there is no way Team Four Star knows what Interview With a Vampire is. they lack the patience to read videogame text, there is no way they'd be able to read a vampire novel.

(though to be fair that could just be them acting more foolish than they actually are....its hard to tell sometimes.)

I can't remember any specific moment of TFS that I like the most, but F04 was pretty up there. Well technically I like all of YYLAG the most, but there is good reason why that series is a doomed trainwreck and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Judging from how they act in different streams they're definitely playing it up.

Though they clearly don't have as much of a memory for detail as I do and tend to double-down on wrong lore questions for comedy.

I remember Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, the beginning of Sasuke's route they very clearly can't remember which of Orochimaru's minions were born like that and which of them were modified and enhanced.

And the "Dragons are just more evolved snakes" joke which I don't think they would have made if they'd remembered that that's actually the justification for Kabuto being able to turn into a dragon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #889

And the "Dragons are just more evolved snakes" joke which I don't think they would have made if they'd remembered that that's actually the justification for Kabuto being able to turn into a dragon.
    Maybe they did and just didn't care for the sake of the joke.

20. - Top - End - #890

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Maybe they did and just didn't care for the sake of the joke.
    Kiran's tone is sort of hesitating when he says it(either Lani or Grant was rping as Orochimaru asking how Kabuto turned himself into a dragon) and he'd earlier had a realistic brainfart on the nature of Juugo's power so I'm inclined to believe that this one was genuine forgetfulness.

There are other examples of mistakes that are more obviously them doing for the gag but this one felt real.

Also, Nick Landis has admitted out of character that he has memory problems which might contribute to the bit. Something to do with a head injury IIRC.

Wonder if it has something to do with whatever broke his back when he was a teenager.

(He told the story in bits and pieces in various places, he broke his back, was looking at potentially being crippled for life, luckily he made a full recovery, but his life-plan was permanently derailed and he started to suffer from depression, then he randomly stumbled across YGOTAS on youtube, noted that he had some Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs he could rip and a decent mike and thought "I could do that" and more time than I like to think to about later here we are. On the DBZA Mothers Day 2020 Movie Marathon Stream, when Martin/Little Koribou comments in that chat that it was an honor to be Frieza for them and be their friends Lani says that LK starting the Abriging trend probably saved his life.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You'll be fine, you're probably just regular sick.
    Yeah, but when you're vomiting water you don't feel regular sick.I got up and had a bath in the middle of the night just so I could relax.

The worst part has been the effect on my sleep anyway, symptoms waking me up every half hour. I suppose it's good practice for if I ever have to look after a sprogling.

Show

22. - Top - End - #892

Yeah, but when you're vomiting water you don't feel regular sick.I got up and had a bath in the middle of the night just so I could relax.
    Oh yeah, that sucks. That sucks much bad.

I haven't been like that since I was a kid, but I have vague memories of being too dizzy to stand and having to keep the cat out of the puke bucket.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-02 at 01:32 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The worst part has been the effect on my sleep anyway, symptoms waking me up every half hour. I suppose it's good practice for if I ever have to look after a sprogling.
    If you're unable to keep water down, make sure you don't dehydrate. Get an electrolyte mix/drink, sports drink, or failing that mix some salt in water (a very small amount of salt, usually with sugar, see below). Note: Salt in water is not as good as the specialised drinks, as it doesn't contain other important electrolytes, but it's better than nothing if you're having trouble keeping water down.

Quote Originally Posted by World Health Organisation
    A home-made solution containing 3g/l of table salt (one level teaspoonful) and 18g/l of common sugar (sucrose) is effective but is not generally recommended because the recipe is often forgotten, the ingredients may not be available or too little may be given.
    If you're at any risk of dehydration or delirium, especially if electrolyte solutions don't work, see a medical professional immediately.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    If you're unable to keep water down, make sure you don't dehydrate. Get an electrolyte mix/drink, sports drink, or failing that mix some salt in water (a very small amount of salt, usually with sugar, see below). Note: Salt in water is not as good as the specialised drinks, as it doesn't contain other important electrolytes, but it's better than nothing if you're having trouble keeping water down.

If you're at any risk of dehydration or delirium, especially if electrolyte solutions don't work, see a medical professional immediately.
    I've tried the salt/sugar water, if I feel better in an hour or so I'll have more, if not I'll dig out my mask and dear myself to the shop (partially because it doesn't open for another hour). But considering we're still in lockdown over here I'd rather avoid leaving the house if I can.

Show

25. - Top - End - #895

You ever have one of those days when you're just not motivated to do anything and you feel tired even though you've had at least six hour of sleep?

Like, not in a depression way but in a just general "blargleflargle" way?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #896

You ever have one of those days when you're just not motivated to do anything and you feel tired even though you've had at least six hour of sleep?

If it's an every day thing, that might be the apnea (though only a doctor can actually diagnose). If it's just a today thing... Absolutely I have.

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If it's an every day thing, that might be the apnea (though only a doctor can actually diagnose). If it's just a today thing... Absolutely I have.
    It's every couple of weeks thing, usually when there's very little that needs doing thing.

Like, I've taken a couple of psych classes and I know people who suffer from clinical depression to varying degrees so I have an idea of what to look out for. If I'm depressed then the episodes are mild and infrequent.

...Though now you have me worried. Depression is one of those diseases that just isn't fair. Sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes you just need to keep working on it for the rest of your life. Some people can manage it by changing their diet or getting more exercise while other people need years of drugs and therapy before they are reliably capable of even making the effort to get out of bed.

That's terrifying. That's legitimately terrifying.

...And now I'm remembering that depression is a common comorbidity with autism spectrum disorders.

So, there goes my chances of getting to sleep at a reasonable

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe you just need more than six hours of sleep? If I don't get 7.5-8 a night I feel tired.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-03-02 at 04:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Yes; it's fairly common with ADHD.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's every couple of weeks thing, usually when there's very little that needs doing thing.

Like, I've taken a couple of psych classes and I know people who suffer from clinical depression to varying degrees so I have an idea of what to look out for. If I'm depressed then the episodes are mild and infrequent.

...Though now you have me worried. Depression is one of those diseases that just isn't fair. Sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes you just need to keep working on it for the rest of your life. Some people can manage it by changing their diet or getting more exercise while other people need years of drugs and therapy before they are reliably capable of even making the effort to get out of bed.

That's terrifying. That's legitimately terrifying.

...And now I'm remembering that depression is a common comorbidity with autism spectrum disorders.

So, there goes my chances of getting to sleep at a reasonable
    There's also plenty of other reasons that are less extreme though. Do you get seasonal light disorders? Have you gotten enough Vitamin D? Potassium? Calcium? Did you consume too many stimulants, or not enough fat, or your glycemic load is high today and crashed your blood sugar? Heck you might have a mild food allergy you don't know about.

I liken it to being a very complicated puppet, but with chemical strings. Sometimes the wrong string gets pulled and it bounces around weirdly until you figure out which one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".