New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Two new mammoth elephant ears planted, and (hopefully) several tobacco plants planted, sunstroke nearly achieved. The elephant ears will be continuing the slow elephant ear wall I an building around my hammock area in one corner of the yard, the tobacco plants are a completely new addition along the southern house wall. I'm very excited to see how those take. Further, the the other corner where the garden is, several annoying mini-trees and other dense foliage has been removed or partially removed.

It was a good day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Two new mammoth elephant ears planted, and (hopefully) several tobacco plants planted, sunstroke nearly achieved. The elephant ears will be continuing the slow elephant ear wall I an building around my hammock area in one corner of the yard, the tobacco plants are a completely new addition along the southern house wall. I'm very excited to see how those take. Further, the the other corner where the garden is, several annoying mini-trees and other dense foliage has been removed or partially removed.

It was a good day.
    What is your plan for the tobacco? I have heard that it poisons soil, and I don't smoke, so I can't think of anything to do with a tobacco plant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #1203

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    What is your plan for the tobacco? I have heard that it poisons soil, and I don't smoke, so I can't think of anything to do with a tobacco plant.
    They don't poison the soil, they're just nutrient hungry. So are potatoes, as a quick and dirty example. I like big-leafed plants, so I got some purely for decoration.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Colossus in the Playground

They don't poison the soil, they're just nutrient hungry. So are potatoes, as a quick and dirty example. I like big-leafed plants, so I got some purely for decoration.
    Be careful man. When you're growing a "drug plant" even a completly legal one, you sometimes get addicts who can't afford their hit breaking onto your property to get your "stash."

I'm not sure how common that is with Tobacco specifically, but I've heard stories and nicotine is pretty fricking addictive. If people are willing to pull butts out of the trash or fish a smoke out of the toilet, they're willing to trespass in someone's yard and strip his plants down.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1205

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Be careful man. When you're growing a "drug plant" even a completly legal one, you sometimes get addicts who can't afford their hit breaking onto your property to get your "stash."

I'm not sure how common that is with Tobacco specifically, but I've heard stories and nicotine is pretty fricking addictive. If people are willing to pull butts out of the trash or fish a smoke out of the toilet, they're willing to trespass in someone's yard and strip his plants down.
    Nicotine is actually one of the most addictive substance we know of! That being said, cigarettes are not something that people tend to be addicted to in the same... ferocity, let's say, that harder drugs such as heroine entail.

And while I appreciate the concern, it's really much less of an issue than you might imagine. I live in a fairly safe area with my backyard not visible by anyone who is not an immediate neighbor, and the people who take butts to relight are unlikely to be willing to intensively surveil relatively inaccessible areas, properly identify the plant, know how to cure the leaves (and have the patience for it), and then grind them up, and also be able to obtain rolling papers but not loose tobacco cans (which are almost always furnished in the same store). The ROI just isn't there.

And if they do, I'm out a plant and not much else. But I appreciate you thinking of my safety!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-13 at 07:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Australians have a tendency to ask you how you're doing, and not even stop to hear your answer. Apparently it can be quite disconcerting to non-Australians.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #1207

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Australians have a tendency to ask you how you're doing, and not even stop to hear your answer. Apparently it can be quite disconcerting to non-Australians.
    Americans have a tendency to treat all Australians like they are Paul Hogan. Apparently it can be quite disconcerting to Australians.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Nicotine is actually one of the most addictive substance we know of! That being said, cigarettes are not something that people tend to be addicted to in the same... ferocity, let's say, that harder drugs such as heroine entail.

And while I appreciate the concern, it's really much less of an issue than you might imagine. I live in a fairly safe area with my backyard not visible by anyone who is not an immediate neighbor, and the people who take butts to relight are unlikely to be willing to intensively surveil relatively inaccessible areas, properly identify the plant, know how to cure the leaves (and have the patience for it), and then grind them up, and also be able to obtain rolling papers but not loose tobacco cans (which are almost always furnished in the same store). The ROI just isn't there.

And if they do, I'm out a plant and not much else. But I appreciate you thinking of my safety!
    I've seen a story about a man cutting the locks on his neighbor's rabbit hutch, taking the rabbits—prize-winning, very expensive pet rabbits, mind you—and eating them becuase he couldn't be assed to go to the grocery store or butcher shop and buy something to cook for dinner. More than once.

(The same man also stole his other neighbor's entire garden worth of fruits and vegetables, including stuff that wasn't ready to be picked yet, to sell at a farmer's market.)

It might be highly unlikely, but I would not put it past some people to just go into your yard and eat your tobacco plants raw in the hopes of getting their fix. Or taking your plants to save money when they're perfectly capable of getting tobacco without stealing it.

But if you're not worried...

(I've seen a lot of stories like this. That is part of the reason why my ideal house would be outside the technical limits of the city and surrounded by a high stone wall.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-14 at 12:48 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1209

(I've seen a lot of stories like this. That is part of the reason why my ideal house would be outside the technical limits of the city and surrounded by a high stone wall.)
    Sounds like you need a zombie-proof house.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #1210

Sounds like you need a zombie-proof house.
    That's another one of those reasons.

Treehouse of Horror III traumatized me when I was like 3.

I can watch it just fine as an adult, but no matter how much the rational part of my brain says that even if zombies were real and Apocalypse Scenario is impossible, there's also gonna be that part of me that has to consider how well the walls and windows will hold when the hoard is at the gate.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1211

I've seen a story about a man cutting the locks on his neighbor's rabbit hutch, taking the rabbits—prize-winning, very expensive pet rabbits, mind you—and eating them becuase he couldn't be assed to go to the grocery store or butcher shop and buy something to cook for dinner. More than once.

(The same man also stole his other neighbor's entire garden worth of fruits and vegetables, including stuff that wasn't ready to be picked yet, to sell at a farmer's market.)

It might be highly unlikely, but I would not put it past some people to just go into your yard and eat your tobacco plants raw in the hopes of getting their fix. Or taking your plants to save money when they're perfectly capable of getting tobacco without stealing it.

But if you're not worried...

Out of curiosity, where do you hear stories like that?

12. - Top - End - #1212

Out of curiosity, where do you hear stories like that?
    That particular one was on NotAlwaysRight under the "notalwaysfriendly" tag, though since it was linked in the comment of another entry that I don't recall the details of I'm not sure I could find it again.

Others are from reddit, and sometimes I just sort of stumble across stuff when I'm doing something else.

As an unrelated example: I learned more about the War of the Roses from stumbling down a series of links while reading about a specific episode of a cartoon than I did in school.

...Granted, that's not much, but it's some.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Others are from reddit
    See, thats your first mistake Rater, your going to reddit. that place is nothing but hate and bitterness directed in every direction including itself. if hate engines existed, we could power the whole world with the negativity expressed by reddit alone every day.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #1214

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    See, thats your first mistake Rater, your going to reddit. that place is nothing but hate and bitterness directed in every direction including itself. if hate engines existed, we could power the whole world with the negativity expressed by reddit alone every day.
    If hate engines exist, my shear loathing for hot dogs, school locker rooms that don't have individual lockable shower stalls, public bathrooms that don't have individual lockable toilet stalls(often in said aforementioned locker rooms,) public bathrooms that only have one accessible stall, the existence of mayonnaise, people who confuse promoting body positivity with encouraging bad health habits, the existence of hotdogs and polish sausage, people who say "pop" instead of "soda," people who say "supper" instead of "diner," people who don't take care of their animals, teachers who abuse students, people who don't respect other people's boundaries, people who joke about killing and/or eating people's pet cats/rabbits, people who arne't joking and would do it given the chance, people who insist that their cooking is great when it sucks (I'm not talking differant taste, legitimately inedible food being passed off as fine dining), and so on would be enough to generate enough energy to take out a spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy.

And yes, I know I said hotdogs twice. That's how much such disgusting tubes of mystery meat infuriate me. The smell alone makes me feel sick.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-14 at 03:38 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Troll in the Playground

That's another one of those reasons.

Treehouse of Horror III traumatized me when I was like 3.

I can watch it just fine as an adult, but no matter how much the rational part of my brain says that even if zombies were real and Apocalypse Scenario is impossible, there's also gonna be that part of me that has to consider how well the walls and windows will hold when the hoard is at the gate.
    My life got a lot happier when I acknowledged I'm as good as dead for several reasons if there really was a zombie apocalypse.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    My life got a lot happier when I acknowledged I'm as good as dead for several reasons if there really was a zombie apocalypse.
    Welcome to the Happy Zombie Apocalypse Casualty Club! Here's your welcome bag and please, shuffle to the nearest brain buffet!

Currently, I'd be the guy who stands in the middle of the street with a sword, boombox playing a mix of dark country and classic rock to attract as many as possible to buy some time for the family to escape.

I'd give them five minutes at best, I'm really out of shape due to epidemic.

Oh. People go to reddit outside of google suggesting it as source for the strange question I had...? Interesting.

Also: don't trust all the things you read online, Rater. People tend to exagerrate. You should consider moving out of Talakeal's alternate universe of strangely coincidental life horrors.

BTW, I get what you say with the horror. Saw Nosferatu (the black/white silent movie) when I was around 4... which means I still remember it. Had a flashback while standing in Orava castle because of the movie....
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

I just have eternal seething wrath for people who either:
    A) don't train their dogs properly, or
    B) walk their dog without moving at normal human walking speed, with a special Hayes for
    C) those people who will go out with their dog and stand in the middle of the pavement right next to the crossing I need to use.

It's Mother's Day today, so here's a polite reminder to those in the Ook to call their mum's, especially with the 'third month of lockdown' deal currently on.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I just have eternal seething wrath for people who either:
    A) don't train their dogs properly, or
    B) walk their dog without moving at normal human walking speed, with a special Hayes for
    C) those people who will go out with their dog and stand in the middle of the pavement right next to the crossing I need to use.
    Have the same with unsocialized kids

But my eternal wrath is focused more on people who say "I can't do this!" without trying.

It's Mother's Day today, so here's a polite reminder to those in the Ook to call their mum's, especially with the 'third month of lockdown' deal currently on.
    ...wasn't that last week? I remember sending my mom flowers (no chance of meeting since I'm quarantined and we have a hard lockdown). Ok, a quick google search reveals different countries = different dates. So, happy UK Mother's Day!
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

19. - Top - End - #1219

That particular one was on NotAlwaysRight under the "notalwaysfriendly" tag, though since it was linked in the comment of another entry that I don't recall the details of I'm not sure I could find it again.

Others are from reddit, and sometimes I just sort of stumble across stuff when I'm doing something else.
    Those sources tend to attract people who view them as creative writing exercises (well, certain subreddits significantly moreso than others, but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Oh. People go to reddit outside of google suggesting it as source for the strange question I had...? Interesting.
    It's quite helpful for certain hobbies, as a quick and dirty example, as well as a dedicated forum space for a lot of works that otherwise don't have dedicated forums. A lot of the bigger, super mainstream ones can be annoying, but I treat those like YouTube - ignore the comment sections and they're a lot better.
    A.) Happy mothers day to yours!
    2.) I am in love with the phrase "the Ook".
    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    H...wasn't that last week? I remember sending my mom flowers (no chance of meeting since I'm quarantined and we have a hard lockdown). Ok, a quick google search reveals different countries = different dates. So, happy UK Mother's Day!
    Aye, ours is in May.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

This is relevant to our zombie interests.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sometimes, sometimes, when I google for some video game advice or a bit of info I find reddit among the results and it actually provides a useful answer. But yeah, reddit has a reputation and I know better than to venture beyond the particular thread returned among the search results.

You actually had me scared for a moment! Where I am at it's not until may, so I'm good for the moment. Phew.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

Aye, ours is in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    You actually had me scared for a moment! Where I am at it's not until may, so I'm good for the moment. Phew.
    Welp, called my mother nevertheless. She was pleasantly surprised. Also wished my wife happy mother's day (including chocolate I had hidden for special occassions) and called my sister. A pleasant second mother's day.

Can't wait until the third one in May. Hope this forum works as a good reminder and I don't forget.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

... people who say "supper" instead of "diner,"...
    In my dialect, "dinner" is the main meal of the day, whenever it is. "Supper" is the evening meal, if it isn't the main meal. "Lunch" is the midday meal, if it isn't the main meal. And "diner" is a type of restaurant, loosely based on meal service in trains as it was back in the day when they actually cooked food on trains. ( I don't count thawing a pre-cooked burger in the microwave as cooking. )

24. - Top - End - #1224

people who say "pop" instead of "soda,"
    It's "soft drink".

25. - Top - End - #1225

Also, speaking of hot dogs and polish sausages, Hebrew National is the gold standard for me. I'm still a bit sad that Costco moved away from them some years back, but I understand. I still do have some resentment over their ditching the polish, but again, it's understandable. But that buck-fifty hotdog combo is nothing short of amazing. And this is for a store which already has jaw-dropping policies and store-brand quality items. Don't even get me started on Costco vs Sam's Club store brand chocolate covered raisins. I will be loyal to Costco til the day I die, and I will love their hot dogse from beyond the grave.
    It's "soft drink".
    Oh, you mean cokes!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-14 at 01:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Oh, you mean cokes!
    Of all the regional names I'd accept for soft drinks, that is not one of them.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Of all the regional names I'd accept for soft drinks, that is not one of them.
    Shame, because we're the region that invented them.

Also, while I normally only talk smack about regional names for humor purposes, soft drink is a bit too wide for referring to the carbonated drinks.Lemonade for example, is a soft drink but not a type of soda.

I think my favorite regional variant outside of the correct one is "fizzy drink".

28. - Top - End - #1228

Also, while I normally only talk smack about regional names for humor purposes, soft drink is a bit too wide for referring to the carbonated drinks. Lemonade for example, is a soft drink but not a type of soda.
    What are you talking about? Lemonade is just as fizzy as any soft drink.

29. - Top - End - #1229

What are you talking about? Lemonade is just as fizzy as any soft drink.
    Oh, right, you're Australian.

Sweet tea, then. Or Gatorade.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-14 at 02:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1230

Or Gatorade.
    You mean the stuff we use to water the fields?