New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You mean the stuff we use to water the fields?
    Yeah but I'm supposed to be getting out today. Got sat on and everything.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-14 at 02:39 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Colossus in the Playground

Gatorade isn't a soft drink, it's a sports drink.

It's meant to cure dehydration by replenishing fluids and electrolytes, not to be pleasurable to drink due to sweetness, carbonation, and a mildly addictive chemical.

Originally it was a hangover cure. Florida Gators kept showing up to practice hungover.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1233

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Gatorade isn't a soft drink, it's a sports drink.
    Which is a subset of soft drinks.
    Originally it was a hangover cure. Florida Gators kept showing up to practice hungover.
    That sounds like an urban legend.

4. - Top - End - #1234

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That sounds like an urban legend.
    It's not, but it is a drastic simplification that isn't 100% accurate. Shared because it's amusing.

After being asked why football players didn't have to stop and pee during games, and concluding that it had something to do with how much they sweated during the games and practices, two medical doctors doing research at the University of Florida Medical started researching the mechanics of sweating and then studying the Florida Gator's freshmen team, including collecting their sweat and running tests on it.

Gatorade was originally just s chemical replication of sweat—the same amount of water and various electrolytes but was inedible(one of the researchers threw up after drinking the prototype) so they added lemon, orange, and artificial sweeteners to make it go down.

At the time, dehydration was a big issue: Conventional wisdom was that drinking water was bad because it made football players sluggish. Heavy physical activity+flidica heat+no water equals players who are dead on their feet. Once they got Gatorade edible enough for the team to drink, the Gators started winning.

While it wasn't exclusively a hangover cure, it was used as such by hungover players during its development before it arrived in its final form.

And, to be fair, it's effective as such. Part of the reason for a hangover is dehydration and depletion of electrolytes.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Happy π day, everyone!

The admins at the office shipped everyone pies for π day this year, which was really nice of them. Really good ones, too. I guess our fun budget has been languishing for the last year, so there was some money for them to play with.

Last edited by Sermil; 2021-03-14 at 03:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Happy π day, everyone!

The admins at the office shipped everyone pies for π day this year, which was really nice of them. Really good ones, too. I guess our fun budget has been languishing for the last year, so there was some money for them to play with.

I celebrate in July.

7. - Top - End - #1237

In 1997, the Simpsons writers included a pro-LGBT message into the show with the episode Homer's phobia, guest-starring John Waters as a fictionalized version of himself.

It contains the morals of "Homophobia is inherently stupid," "a child imitating flamboyant mannerisms does not mean the child is 'turning' gay" and "it doesn't matter if your kid turns out to be gay, they're still your kid."

The Simpsons writers had to have it explained to them that having Homer unironically use a homophobic slur while panicking about the new family friend being a homosexual might be a step too far.

The idea that that had to be explained to people who were trying to push a pro-LGBT message seems alien from my perspective.

It sounds like a bad joke, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-14 at 04:27 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

In 1997, the Simpsons writers included a pro-LGBT message into the show with the episode Homer's phobia, guest-starring John Waters as a fictionalized version of himself.

It contains the morals of "Homophobia is inherently stupid," "a child imitating flamboyant mannerisms does not mean the child is 'turning' gay" and "it doesn't matter if your kid turns out to be gay, they're still your kid."

The Simpsons writers had to have it explained to them that having Homer unironically use a homophobic slur while panicking about the new family friend being a homosexual might be a step too far.

The idea that that had to be explained to people who were trying to push a pro-LGBT message seems alien from my perspective.

It sounds like a bad joke, doesn't it?
    Its the weird thing about ignorance isn't it?

also, the Simpsons quickly became a cultural icon because they were more relatable than the happy family sitcoms they had at the time, so Homer quickly became the protagonist and stand in for the Average American Person because he is imperfect (whether thats good thing or bad thing depends on your point of view) so....one can see why that might provoke a reaction to him using that.

I learned about the Simpsons significance when watching a youtube video about how there will never be episode like the Frank Grimes episode ever again. whats really alien is that Frank Grimes is supposed to represent the classic hard-working american hero in contrast to Homer's lazy slacker dumb life, and I'd say that Frank Grimes could be just as relatable and predictive of some people today, when he was made to be a villain and demonstration of someone who cares too much about fairness living in an unfair world.....cut to today, where arguably people care more about fairness than Frank Grimes ever did and live in conditions closer to what he does. but then the video said the Simpsons went downhill after that, as that episode the last hurrah by anyone connected to the original creators.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #1239

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2021-03-14 at 06:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Happy π day, everyone!

The admins at the office shipped everyone pies for π day this year, which was really nice of them. Really good ones, too.
    Sweet pies only, or also savory pies? Now I'm craving savory pies that I used to get in DC, back when I was there frequently for work.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Sweet pies only, or also savory pies?
    Yes.
    Now I'm craving savory pies that I used to get in DC, back when I was there frequently for work.
    Oooh, do tell!

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Its the weird thing about ignorance isn't it?

also, the Simpsons quickly became a cultural icon because they were more relatable than the happy family sitcoms they had at the time, so Homer quickly became the protagonist and stand in for the Average American Person because he is imperfect (whether thats good thing or bad thing depends on your point of view) so....one can see why that might provoke a reaction to him using that.

I learned about the Simpsons significance when watching a youtube video about how there will never be episode like the Frank Grimes episode ever again. whats really alien is that Frank Grimes is supposed to represent the classic hard-working american hero in contrast to Homer's lazy slacker dumb life, and I'd say that Frank Grimes could be just as relatable and predictive of some people today, when he was made to be a villain and demonstration of someone who cares too much about fairness living in an unfair world.....cut to today, where arguably people care more about fairness than Frank Grimes ever did and live in conditions closer to what he does. but then the video said the Simpsons went downhill after that, as that episode the last hurrah by anyone connected to the original creators.
    I've seen a video that argues that Frank Grimes is a perfect example of someone who's been brainwashed into following "The Cult of Work."

In short, the idea that hard work in and of itself is meaningful and in a just world would be rewarded and that if you're not rewarded t's becuase someone else is parasitizing your efforts and metaphorically taking the food from your mouth... Which is not true and has never been true.

The truth is that effort has no intrinsic relationship to success or failure. Whether you succeed or fail and whether or not the effort you put in gets proportionate results depends on a number of factors, some of which are forever outside your control.

There are details that I really can't go into here for a number of reasons, but the gist of it is that neither Frank Grimes nor Homer Simpson are the "bad guy."

The true antagonist of the episode is Mr. Burns.

Homer is somewhat insensitive to Frank, yes, but he means well and just wanted to be friends with the new guy, and Frank isn't exactly wrong to think that Homer just stumbles into good fortune, becuase he doesn't see just how much Homer's life sucks in between the big adventures that outrage Frank. Frank's own misfortune also skews his perception of what's normal.

Homer can't be blamed, however, for accepting good fortune that stumbles into his lap, especially when he has a wife and three kids to support and his job provides more than enough money to do so. Especially when you consider that later episodes establish that his job is 1: completely redundant and 2: Not something Burns gives a damn about beyond having enough to keep the government off his back, so, despite what Frank asserts, Homer is essentially being paid to sleep. You can't blame someone for taking such a position when they desperately need money.

Frank, meanwhile, can't be blamed for being bitter, given his cartoonishly tragic life, and especially the fact that he was scouted out and promised a job as the Vice President of the plant only to be immediatly replaced with a literal Dog the second he showed up for work, just shoving Frank into a completly meaningless seat filler job... Nor can he be blamed for being angry when he say, gets punished for saving a man's life.

The instigator of the conflict between Frank and Homer is Mr. Burns. He's the one who hired a dangerously underqualified man for a position that would be vitally important in any other power plant. He's the one that promised Frank a cushy, high-paying executive job due to being impressed with Frank's determination and work ethic—an affirmation of everything that Frank had ever worked for—only to screw him over a whim. Mister Burns is the one who chastises Frank for "wasting precious acid" when Frank saves Homer's life.

But Frank is so deluded by the belief of the intrinsic value of work that instead of blaming the man actually responsible for his recent misfortune he lashes out at a convenient scapegoat who conforms to all of Frank's biases about what's wrong with the world. When that fails to solve his problems he suffers a psychiatric break and ultimately destroys himself...

...And it's ambiguous if his death was an accident or deliberate suicide.

And odds are that none of that was intentional. The writers are pretty clear on their intent was to show that a "normal" man couldn't survive in a place like Springfield.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-14 at 07:19 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure that π doesn't start 14.3

I'm fact, I'm fairly certain pie starts with sieving flour. And now I say that I want to make my pizza dough again.

I'm a weird place right now, and might have accidentally done something I shouldn't. Relationships are hard, I'm just hoping that my partner understands that I tend to worry about things anyway, and I'd much rather talk about this now so that we don't have to have the conversation later.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

*snip for length*
    And odds are that none of that was intentional. The writers are pretty clear on their intent was to show that a "normal" man couldn't survive in a place like Springfield.
    Yeah thats what some the interpretations I've seen mentioned. both and that writers intent.

But Simpsons is one of those shows that sometimes says a lot more than it actually intends, and thats to the benefit of us. sometimes what isn't intended, IS whats important.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #1245

Yeah thats what some the interpretations I've seen mentioned. both and that writers intent.

But Simpsons is one of those shows that sometimes says a lot more than it actually intends, and thats to the benefit of us. sometimes what isn't intended, IS whats important.
    Yeah.

A more comical example: One episode has Lisa get hooked on nicotine due to the older girls in her ballet class smoking during the breaks to keep off the weight and stay focused and Lisa getting it second hand.

On a windy day, Lisa can't get her fix from secondhand and grabs an actual cigarette... Only for Homer to materialize seemingly from nowhere, rip it out of her hand, throw it to the ground, stomp it out, and pull a gun and shoot the cigarette.

This is meant to be an overreaction Homer's part... But speaking as someone who watched a man die from tobacco use, if anything it's an underreaction.

...Honestly that's a good episode for Homer in general.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1246

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm sure that π doesn't start 14.3
    Which is why I celebrate with my European brethren in July.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oooh, do tell!
    So, I was in DC, on a per diem for meals, and wanting something better than standard fast food, but not as involved as a more formal restaurant, and I found a little hole-in-the-wall branch outlet for something called, approximately, Dangerously Delicious Pies. They had the usual run of dessert pies, but they also had savory pies, which they would serve along with a bit of salad as supper. I remember a chicken pot pie, much superior to the frozen versions one would find in the supermarket, a sausage-fennel-tomato pie, that reminded me of a Chicago pizza, except that it had a top crust, and a curry pie of some sort. I went there a few times, but they closed that branch down even before the pandemic.

18. - Top - End - #1248

So, I was in DC, on a per diem for meals, and wanting something better than standard fast food, but not as involved as a more formal restaurant, and I found a little hole-in-the-wall branch outlet for something called, approximately, Dangerously Delicious Pies. They had the usual run of dessert pies, but they also had savory pies, which they would serve along with a bit of salad as supper. I remember a chicken pot pie, much superior to the frozen versions one would find in the supermarket, a sausage-fennel-tomato pie, that reminded me of a Chicago pizza, except that it had a top crust, and a curry pie of some sort. I went there a few times, but they closed that branch down even before the pandemic.
    Dang, you were getting me all excited to try it next time I go up there.

19. - Top - End - #1249

I'm quite fond of a white country-style breakfast sausage gravy as a potpie filling.

I've also had a store-bought "meat-lovers" potpie that was meatballs and pepperoni in a marinara sauce baked into a pie. Probably my favorite savory pie.

I gotta try making that from scratch sometime.

Also wanna try making some cheesy pocket pies with puff pastry. I've seen one that's filled with cheddar sauce and mozzarella and one that's and stuffed with a cream-cheese-ricotta-spinach mixture.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Firbolg in the Playground

Every Chicago style pizza I have had has had an upper crust. Speaking of, the local grocer has some deep dish in their frozen section that looks halfway decent. My wife doesn't like Chicago style pizza, rider I would report more fully in its properties. They had a cheese and a sausage option.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2021-03-15 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Normally this is where I would link to the Jon Stewart rant, but alas.

22. - Top - End - #1252

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Every Chicago style pizza I have had has had an upper crust. Speaking of, the local
    Grocer has some deep dish in their frozen section that looks halfway decent. My wife doesn't like Chicago style pizza, rider I would report more fully in its properties. They had a cheese and a sausage option.
    I can't keep up with what kind of deep dish is from where.

I like the ones that are a depression filled with Italian cheeses and topped with a layer of seasoned tomato paste.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1253

I can't keep up with what kind of deep dish is from where.

I like the ones that are a depression filled with Italian cheeses and topped with a layer of seasoned tomato paste.
    That's Chicago deep dish. It is one of the easier ones to remember where it's from.

24. - Top - End - #1254

That's Chicago deep dish. It is one of the easier ones to remember where it's from.
    All I know is I likes me a thick chunk of gooey mozzarella topped with garlicky tomato paste.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I'm pretty confident that the idea that Southerners call all carbonated beverages cokes was entirely false when the first linguist to make a dialect map about carbonated beverage names made that assertion. Even now I suspect very few Southerners actually do so unironically, though many will claim otherwise due to the propensity of Southerners to double down on anything about Southern culture that outsiders mock.
    Feel free to suspect all you want.

26. - Top - End - #1256

I often find myself wondering what it would be like if I could fold myself and sit like a cat.

I'm often jealous of feline flexibility. They seem like they can be comfortable in any position.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Desire to eat omurice, rising.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

28. - Top - End - #1258

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Desire to eat omurice, rising.
    Is that some Australian joke that I'm too American to understand?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Is that some Australian joke that I'm too American to understand?
    Omurice .

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    an omelette made with fried rice and thin, fried scrambled eggs
    Yummy!
    usually topped with ketchup.
    Hello, Darkness my old friend...
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.