A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    No, the musical about bohemian deadbeats is correct about the number of minutes in an ordinary calendar year (being 365 days of 24 hours of 60 minutes). What you have there is the number of minutes in a solar year (i.e. the time between vernal equinoxes). And the more I find out about that musical, the less I have any desire to find out more.
    This is, by all accounts, a very correct thought. Rent is real bad.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is, by all accounts, a very correct thought. Rent is real bad.
    And so's the musical!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  3. - Top - End - #1413
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    And so's the musical!
    Oh that got a good laugh out of me. Solid "badumtis" line. Thank you.


    Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  4. - Top - End - #1414
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Form's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    I find myself now both feeling a need to google this musical about bohemian deadbeats to learn more whilst also getting the sense that, perhaps, I should not. I'm uncertain as to which impulse will win.

  5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I find myself now both feeling a need to google this musical about bohemian deadbeats to learn more whilst also getting the sense that, perhaps, I should not. I'm uncertain as to which impulse will win.
    May I recommend Lindsay Ellis's video on the matter?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  6. - Top - End - #1416
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    All I remember is that I didn't enjoy it and it had Detective Green in it.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  7. - Top - End - #1417
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    All I remember is that I didn't enjoy it and it had Detective Green in it.
    You're a lucky dragon. As a musical theater kid in a past life, there are songs from this show that are burned into my memory, even though I always hated it.
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  8. - Top - End - #1418
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    You're a lucky dragon. As a musical theater kid in a past life, there are songs from this show that are burned into my memory, even though I always hated it.
    Quick and dirty rule to burn at least some part of something into my memory: include one of the characters/actors I loved from the OG Law & Order. Briscoe and McCoy are the obvious giants, but every detective until Curtis was gold and they were still mostly solid after that (and it's downright criminal that Bernard and Lupo got so few seasons, both were great individually and they made an amazing team). Feel bad for Cutter, though. Probably would have liked him if he didn't have unfillable shoes to fill. Even Stone couldn't have captured me like he did if he had gone after McCoy. Sam Waterston is an American treasure, I tells ya!
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  9. - Top - End - #1419
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quick and dirty rule to burn at least some part of something into my memory: include one of the characters/actors I loved from the OG Law & Order. Briscoe and McCoy are the obvious giants, but every detective until Curtis was gold and they were still mostly solid after that (and it's downright criminal that Bernard and Lupo got so few seasons, both were great individually and they made an amazing team). Feel bad for Cutter, though. Probably would have liked him if he didn't have unfillable shoes to fill. Even Stone couldn't have captured me like he did if he had gone after McCoy. Sam Waterston is an American treasure, I tells ya!
    Sam Waterston is a treasure, but really, he belongs to the world. Make him a UNESCO heritage site or something.

    (I admit, haven't seen the original L&O though. I'm not huge on police procedurals.)

    Now do you have any tips for unburning things from your memory? That's the part I struggle with. If I get rid of some of that old useless trivia, maybe I can make room for some new useless trivia.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2021-03-23 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I opposited a word and ruined the joke
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  10. - Top - End - #1420
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    Sam Waterston is a treasure, but really, he belongs to the world. Make him a UNESCO heritage site or something.
    I'm good with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    (I admit, haven't seen the original L&O though. I'm not huge on police procedurals.)
    Its actually half cop show, half law show. One of my common complaints about all the L&O spinoffs* is they are almost pure cop show and deviate significantly from the original format. The first episode was rough, since the legal portions had very unsteady footing (way too much laughter in the galley), but it found its footing very quickly. Greevy played super well off Logan on the detective portion while Stone and Robinette absolutely shined as prosecutors. Season 5 has two of the best detectives - Logan (Chris Noth) and Briscoe (Jerry Orbach) with Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston) coming in as EADA, so I love that one a lot. It's also still got Schiff as the DA - not as good as Brandt, but not far behind, and still the second best of the three (McCoy doesn't count, he was too legendary as EADA to pit the DAs against him. Though he did a damned good job in the finale). Also, apropos of nothing, but Rubirosa should have been EADA in the end times.

    If you're interested, I could do a deep dive and find my favorite specific episodes so you could try one at some point to see if it interests you enough to watch more. I promise you, that would not put me out at all, but you may not be interested to start with, which I'd understand.

    *except L&O UK, which was fantastic and basically just a British version of the show. Your time in this world was too short L&O UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    Now do you have any tips for unburning things from my memory? That's the part I struggle with. If I get rid of some of that old useful trivia, maybe I can make room for some new useless trivia.
    Yes but it involves a comically large mallet and ideally you would be a very hungry coyote or a duck with a lisp or something similar.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  11. - Top - End - #1421
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you're interested, I could do a deep dive and find my favorite specific episodes so you could try one at some point to see if it interests you enough to watch more. I promise you, that would not put me out at all, but you may not be interested to start with, which I'd understand.

    *except L&O UK, which was fantastic and basically just a British version of the show. Your time in this world was too short L&O UK.
    You know, if you'd enjoy a deep dive, I don't think I'd mind that at all. You sold the show well, and I'm grasipng for media that can actually hold my attention these days -- my brain is so frazzled from stress recovery, it's like opening a packed fridge and seeing nothing you want to eat or have the energy to cook.

    I'd also be very interested in any L&O UK episodes you recommend. If I can lob a recommendation back at you, have you ever seen the show Yes, Minister? It's as relevant now as it's ever been, and it's hilarious to boot.

    Yes but it involves a comically large mallet and ideally you would be a very hungry coyote or a duck with a lisp or something similar.
    I'm hard up for brain cells these days, so I'll just have to live with all the lyrics to "Seasons of Love."
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    I'm hard up for brain cells these days, so I'll just have to live with all the lyrics to "Seasons of Love."
    I had a music teacher who had us learn this song back in highschool. When you only have a rudimentary grasp of English the words "bridges he burned" paint a rather different picture than what the writers were going for, I think.

    That remains my only actual encounter with that show.

    Edit: that song is a bloody earworm.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-03-23 at 11:27 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #1423
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I had a music teacher who had us learn this song back in highschool. When you only have a rudimentary grasp of English the words "bridges he burned" paint a rather different picture than what the writers were going for, I think.
    The thing about literally burning bridges is it tends to figuratively burn some bridges for you as well. So, you know. You weren't totally wrong?

    Edit: that song is a bloody earworm.
    Yeah, it's stuck in my head pretty firmly at this point. I kind of played myself.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2021-03-23 at 11:35 AM.
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  14. - Top - End - #1424
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Form's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    May I recommend Lindsay Ellis's video on the matter?
    Thanks for the recommendation. That was enlightening and I understand people's objection to that musical + film based on the musical now. I am now resolved to never lay eyes upon Rent and poison my headspace with it.

    And the more I learn about the 80s and 90s, the more I get the sense that things are horrible in many ways that are not really that different from back then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    Now do you have any tips for unburning things from your memory? That's the part I struggle with. If I get rid of some of that old useless trivia, maybe I can make room for some new useless trivia.
    There are a variety of ways, but they all tend to take a lot of other things with them. So, uh, how badly do you want it gone?

  15. - Top - End - #1425
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    There are a variety of ways, but they all tend to take a lot of other things with them. So, uh, how badly do you want it gone?
    I'd say just badly enough to justify my existing vices, but not badly enough to take up any new ones.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2021-03-23 at 11:56 AM.
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  16. - Top - End - #1426
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Form's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    I'd say just badly enough to justify my existing vices, but not badly enough to take up any new ones.
    Tsk, Slaanesh would be disappointed.

  17. - Top - End - #1427
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    You know, if you'd enjoy a deep dive, I don't think I'd mind that at all. You sold the show well, and I'm grasipng for media that can actually hold my attention these days -- my brain is so frazzled from stress recovery, it's like opening a packed fridge and seeing nothing you want to eat or have the energy to cook. I'd also be very interested in any L&O UK episodes you recommend.
    HUZZAH! It may take a short time, but I'll definitely get back to you on it (though if I haven't said anything in a week or so, a reminder wouldn't hurt).
    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    If I can lob a recommendation back at you, have you ever seen the show Yes, Minister? It's as relevant now as it's ever been, and it's hilarious to boot.
    One the one hand, who loves British TV and hasn't seen Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister? On the other hand, as a lover of British TV, feel free to toss out recommendations regardless just in case!
    Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    I'm hard up for brain cells these days, so I'll just have to live with all the lyrics to "Seasons of Love."
    And, in the vein of recommending things that have probably been seen but screw it because in the rare event it hasn't been then it's all worth it, can I recommend the second best musical of all time (behind only The Blues Brothers but much more befitting an actually proper musical... might I recommend The Producers (the 2005 version), so that whenever you remember Seasons of Love, you can simply replace it with Prisoners of Love? Or any of the other absolute knockout musical numbers in that production?

    Honestly, in a movie entirely full of absolute top-notch delivery of some of the best lines ever written, my favorite part may be John Barrowman just belting out the title song and I always, always completely lose it at his eyebrow wiggle and wry smile when he sings "Fraaaaaance". Every actor is at the top of their game in it, it is the pinnacle of Mel Brooks comedy, the stylistic choices to make it seem like a Broadway play in every scene nails it, every single aspect of this movie fires on all cylinders and it results in what can only be described as a masterpiece.

    In fact, the only thing I dislike about it is the trailers, which are far too spoiler-ific for my tastes (for both the remake and the original). I rather pointedly avoided putting any possible spoilers in there just in case you haven't seen it, because the surprise is worth it IMO.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  18. - Top - End - #1428
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    On Rent: From what I've heard the sequel is much better.

    On Law and Order: My experience with the Mothership series was a mystery-solving point and click game that nobody in my family could figure out. Made us file realistic warrants to search for evidence and there wasn't jack at the crime scene to go on other than names of potential suspects.

    "We have his driver's license at the crime scene, an eye witness to him threatening the victim, and the timestamp on security footage shows him going into the locker room at the time the victim was murdered. All we need to put his ass away is to match his DNA to the blood under th victim's fingernails... What do you mean we don't have enough for a warrant!?"

    Watching it I was only able to get into SVU. Mostly because that was the first one I saw and the others were too different from what I was used to. I saw one episode of criminal intent and it pissed me off because you know who did it from the beginning and the whodunnit aspect is the whole reason to watch a cop show.

    And I've lost interest in SVU slowly over the last decade or so, seeing as almost all of the original/long-term cast has been replaced. There is exactly one character on the show currently who was there from the first episode.

    I'm kind of looking forward to Law and Order: Organized crime since they're bringing back Meloni's Elliot Stabler to be the lead... But Stabler retired from SVU for a damn good reason(being forced to shoot and kill a teenage girl because she went off the deep end and started shooting up the percent in an attempt to kill her mother's rapist and the man said attacker hired to kill her mom) and the synopsis says he's coming out of retirement becuase of a personal tragedy which is making me wonder what the frick happened now.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    You are welcome.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Hey everyone. My female friend told me on the phone that she and her niece tested positive for COVID. She got all the symptoms and they're resting for quarantine at the moment.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-03-23 at 02:13 PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. My female told me on the phone that she and her niece tested positive for COVID. She got all the symptoms and they're resting for quarantine at the moment.
    I'm sorry, your what?

    I am very sirry to hear it though, abd hooe they recover quickly, without lingering issues.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

    My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

  22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I'm sorry, your what?

    I am very sirry to hear it though, abd hooe they recover quickly, without lingering issues.
    My female friend. Sorry about that. I edit it that part.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  23. - Top - End - #1433
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    La La Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You are not wrong.

    It's also been a long time since I've seen any SVU. It's a very bingeable show, but it doesn't put me in a great headspace, for unsurprising reasons. And like most things that run too long, I found it gets repetitive after a while. That combined feeling -- "fatigued by abject horrors" -- is not my favorite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    HUZZAH! It may take a short time, but I'll definitely get back to you on it (though if I haven't said anything in a week or so, a reminder wouldn't hurt).
    I'm looking forward to it! Take your time. And I'll poke you in a week. I survive on reminders myself.

    And, in the vein of recommending things that have probably been seen but screw it because in the rare event it hasn't been then it's all worth it, can I recommend the second best musical of all time (behind only The Blues Brothers but much more befitting an actually proper musical... might I recommend The Producers (the 2005 version), so that whenever you remember Seasons of Love, you can simply replace it with Prisoners of Love? Or any of the other absolute knockout musical numbers in that production?
    I love me some Producers. I enjoyed the remake, but the original will always come first for me. Hard to beat Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder.

    I used to be one of those theater kids, though, the kind that worships Sondheim. Sunday in the Park with George is kind of a masterpiece. So many of those songs make me cry every time. Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters are, like Sam Waterston, absolute treasures.

    EDIT: I edited out my clarification, but I didn't mean to remove my wellwishes!

    Bartman, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping all the best for you and the people close to you and the people close to them.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2021-03-23 at 02:33 PM.
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

    Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

  24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    My female friend. Sorry about that. I edit it that part.
    You have a ladyfriend now? Well done This post is brought to you by the Committee for Intentionally Misunderstanding Other People's Sentences in Obviously Incorrect Ways.

    I hope they don't get serious symptoms and get well soon.


    I am now mostly COVID-resistant, I had my second dose last week so it should have started kicking in by now. Now I'm just waiting until I'm allowed to go and see people.

    CIMOPSOIW out.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-03-23 at 05:38 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You have a ladyfriend now? Well done This post is brought to you by the Committee for Intentionally Misunderstanding Other People's Sentences in Obviously Incorrect Ways.

    I hope they don't get serious symptoms and get well soon.


    I am now mostly COVID-resistant, I had my second dose last week so it should have started kicking in by now. Now I'm just waiting until I'm allowed to go and see people.

    CIMOPSOIW out.
    She a female who's a friend of mine. Not my girlfriend by the way and besides she already got a boyfriend.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    She a female who's a friend of mine. Not my girlfriend by the way and besides she already got a boyfriend.
    I know, as my post said in completely clear and easily readable white text I was intentionally misreading for humour.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  27. - Top - End - #1437
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    She a female who's a friend of mine. Not my girlfriend by the way and besides she already got a boyfriend.
    You should probably know that calling women 'females' tends to... not be taken greatly. It's often a signpost for those who... don't exactly treat women as equals, and so is something that we tend to be wary of. It's often a red flag, so... just figured I'd let you know. That it does tend to feel dehumanising.

    For instance, you could have said "My friend told me on the phone that she and her niece tested positive for COVID." Now it sounds like the important part is that it's your friend, and there's not an emphasis that she's a woman. Even if that was important, you've still said "she and her niece", so we do know she's a woman.

    In general, just good advice is that if it's not necessary to call out someone's gender or whatever when doing something, it's usually better to not.

    ...and 'female' in general is probably not great to use when referring to people in everyday life, unless you're going to a Ferengi convention.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-03-23 at 06:44 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You should probably know that calling women 'females' tends to... not be taken greatly. It's often a signpost for those who... don't exactly treat women as equals, and so is something that we tend to be wary of. It's often a red flag, so... just figured I'd let you know. That it does tend to feel dehumanising.

    For instance, you could have said "My friend told me on the phone that she and her niece tested positive for COVID." Now it sounds like the important part is that it's your friend, and there's not an emphasis that she's a woman. Even if that was important, you've still said "she and her niece", so we do know she's a woman.

    In general, just good advice is that if it's not necessary to call out someone's gender or whatever when doing something, it's usually better to not.

    ...and 'female' in general is probably not great to use when referring to people in everyday life, unless you're going to a Ferengi convention.
    Really? What was the problem?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Really? What was the problem?
    It's associated with certain not particularly pleasant subcultures, the one that springs to mind has a very toxic attitude towards women, an incredibly reductive (and, needless to say, almost completely wrong) view on attraction and relationships, and assorted other unpleasantness. Although that group also has other terms it uses to dehumanise women.

    Now gender might be personally important to you, but in this case it is better to indicate gender via pronouns or gendered terms.if you absolutely must gender somebody and can't use either ogf those methods, which should be a very rare occurance, 'woman'(/man) is the best word to use, 'lady' is somewhat less safe, and 'dame' if they happen to own one of those small patches of land in Scotland.

    Although bare in mind that you need to factor the other person's preferences into it, if they don't like gendered terms don';t use them. I'm dating three women, but one of them doesn't like the use of boyfriend/girlfriend, so she is almost always referred to as my partner (the other two get whichever term comes to mind first due to having no stated preference).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's associated with certain not particularly pleasant subcultures, the one that springs to mind has a very toxic attitude towards women, an incredibly reductive (and, needless to say, almost completely wrong) view on attraction and relationships, and assorted other unpleasantness. Although that group also has other terms it uses to dehumanise women.

    Now gender might be personally important to you, but in this case it is better to indicate gender via pronouns or gendered terms.if you absolutely must gender somebody and can't use either ogf those methods, which should be a very rare occurance, 'woman'(/man) is the best word to use, 'lady' is somewhat less safe, and 'dame' if they happen to own one of those small patches of land in Scotland.

    Although bare in mind that you need to factor the other person's preferences into it, if they don't like gendered terms don';t use them. I'm dating three women, but one of them doesn't like the use of boyfriend/girlfriend, so she is almost always referred to as my partner (the other two get whichever term comes to mind first due to having no stated preference).
    Oh, I didn't know that. But she does identify as a woman because she's a woman and I thought saying a gender wasn't that much of an issue.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •