New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Have you ever looked down at yourself, noticed a cut or scratch, and just have no idea where it came from?

That happens me every couple of months.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #242

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Have you ever looked down at yourself, noticed a cut or scratch, and just have no idea where it came from?

God, I hate when that happens. Little pock marks of cuts and scratches. It sucks.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

I get bruises sometimes, which I find really perplexing.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    God, I hate when that happens. Little pock marks of cuts and scratches. It sucks.
    And they don't start hurting until you notice they're there, which is the opposite of how pain works and that's the most annoying part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I get bruises sometimes, which I find really perplexing.
    ...I'd uh... How often are we talking here? If it's frequent then you might want to get that checked out if you can.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

...I'd uh... How often are we talking here? If it's frequent then you might want to get that checked out if you can.
    I dunno, less than once a year, give or take.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

All. The. Time.

My wife gets very mildly concerned sometimes over it. Mostly she's just confused though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of times a month, it generally means that my arms brushed something but I haven't noticed, or if on my finger that I've nicked myself with a knife while opening something.

Don't you hate it when you're at work and you have an idea for a game? Now I've got to edit until I get home so I can write it down.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #248

WHAT NOW, YALE AND NASA?!

And also Costco, I guess.

9. - Top - End - #249

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the time of year I thought I'd treat you all to some poetry.

Spoiler: Terribleness
    Show
    Roses are white
    Violets are white
    Climate change
    Is not that bright
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-02-10 at 10:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A couple of times a month, it generally means that my arms brushed something but I haven't noticed, or if on my finger that I've nicked myself with a knife while opening something.
    Oh, yeah. Always wondered how my father can get all those scratches, small wounds and bruises and not know where he got them.

Now I'm nearing the age he was at that time and my arms often look like I'm local crocodile hunter.

And yeah, most of the time I don't even know how I got those - I just get asked by my daughter where did I hurt myself.

Don't you hate it when you're at work and you have an idea for a game? Now I've got to edit until I get home so I can write it down.
    Finally got an idea how to handle wounds in my newest RPG project. Last evening, few seconds before falling asleep. And I remembered it in the middle of a meeting I could not skip and had to listen intently.

And then the crazy idea about dwarven political RPG/sim using adapted Duel of Wits from Burning Wheel and How To Host a Dungeon... aaargh. It's driving me crazy I can't remember how it fit together after I stepped out of shower.

Of course, these are all just fleeting images because my notepad for ideas was in the other room...

In other news: haven't seen sun for few days. Maybe even two weeks? Mostly I just miss the sunsets and walking to work at sunrise. Oh well, at least we got chocolate/fruit fondue today.

EDIT:
    Considering the time of year I thought I'd treat you all to some poetry.

Spoiler: Terribleness
    Show
    Roses are white
    Violets are white
    Climate change
    Is not that bright
    *ClapClapClapClapClapClap*

Not a big fan of poetry, but somehow I can relate to this one.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2021-02-10 at 11:15 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Spoiler: bit of bragging, feel free to skip
    Show
    the exam I passed, Security+ recommends 2 years on the job with a security focus, and Network+ before you take it. I failed Network+ (will be retaking it in a month or so) and I've had an IT job 5 months without a security focus.

I passed this exam with only 2 months of studying. I feel like the orc who managed to shrug off 3 shots from Legolas and blow a hole in Helm's Deep. In a good way.

Spoilered this because I know it probably comes off as obnoxious, but it's a self-esteem boost that delivered a solid uppercut to my depression.

I've been looking at IT job listings. What I'm seeing is really encouraging. If I stick with the company I'm with for another year or two, I should be able to get at least three more certifications under my belt, which will help getting a much better paying job down the line.

Saw one tonight. After a network administration-centered certification (a step above the one I need to retake) and having worked at my current job another year, I could make over double what I'm making now.

And even at my current job, I should be making $13 an hour by the end of the year, even if I only get the certification I failed on but almost passed (needed 80% got 76%)
    Good! Sounds like a decent path forward!

I might go for a microsoft azure cert. in the coming year or so.

13. - Top - End - #253

Yes, I get ideas that I can't do anything with all the time.

The other day I dreamt I died in my sleep and got reincarnated in the marvel universe via my soul getting sucked across the fourth wall and plopped in human/plant hybrid with Omega Level* control of plants and fungi created by Weapon Plus. There was also something about using symbiotes as part of the hybridization process and mentions of bamboo, kudzu, rose, shiitake mushroom, 'Groot**' and generic 'algae' genes and a "pollen" but nothing I actually saw in th dream indicated that the body was wearing a symbiote.

I woke up and in my half groggy state my mind like... automatically started filling in the details of how such a body would be created and now I want to use it for one of those Cyberpunk Superheroes ideas we talked about a bit back.

Also, I might be too invested in comic books.

Spoiler: What I put together while groggy, with clarification's based on latter thought when more put together
    Show
    First, there's what the body looked like: A feminine body that was green—jade skin, emerald eyes, and the whites of the eye were tinted a light green-yellow—with shoulder-length black hair but no noticeble sexual characteristics.

Now, Human/Plant Hybrids does have a basis being a Weapon Plus project. There's an entire division devoted to: Weapon IV, AKA Project Sulfur. Originally used to research a means of protecting soldiers from chemical weapons, project lead scientist Ted Sallis created a drug called the SO-2 Serum. Initially, the drug gave a total immunity to all toxic chemicals, but it was unstable and caused monstrous mutations.

Ted left Weapon Plus, spent some time at Empire state university as both a professor and research partner of Curtis Connors(and ven contributed to the prototype of what would become the "Lizard Formula") and was then recruited by SHIELD who put him to work in a secluded lab in a polluted section of the everglades to work on recreating the Super Soldier Serum(Not coincidentally not too far from the private Lab that Doctor Connors owned and would later perfect the Connors formula at). He used derivatives and byproducts from the original Super Soldier Serum as well as traces of the proto-type regeneration serum he'd helped his friend make to enhance his S0-2 Serum, but before he could perfect he the laboratory was attacked by AIm who wanted to steal the various prototype super-soldier serums being worked on.

While fleeing, he injected the only known sample of the modified Serum into his own body to prevent it from being destroyed, but got into a car accident and landed in the waters. He should have died, but toxic chemicals in the swamp and mystical energy from the NExus of All Realities(Located in Florida... Yeah, that's MArvels' explanation for the weird crap that happens in Florida.) reacted to and combined with the Serum in his blood and transformed him into a Man-Thing: a humanoid amalgamation of various plants and Fungi meant to serve as a mystical guardian of various locations, in this case, the Nexus of All Realities.

If this sounds a lot like DC's Swamp Thing, that's because Man-Thing and Swamp Thing are both strongly based n a pre-existing character called "The Heap." Though, all cards on the table, Man-Thing came before Swamp Thing.

(There's a naturally occurring Man-Thing in the Savage Lands, but most other Man-Things are somehow derived from Sallis.)

At some point, Weapon Plus restarted project Sulfur, somehow got their hands on the modified SO-2 serum, and were able to use what happened to Sallis to further modify the Serum to create a drug that gives anyone the ability to turn into a Man-Thing without losing their sapience in the process. These Man-Things can talk and are somewhat more humanoid than Sallis or the Savage Land Man-Thing, but the ability to turn into a Man-Thing does not come with an ability to change back, without a counter drug you're stuck like that and Jackson Strode/Man-Slaughter, the successful test subject of Weapon IV, kills his CO and goes AWOL after realizing that the scientists have no intention of "curing" him of that flaw(To be fair, he was forced into it in the first place.)

Considering that Man-Things are known to have high-level plant control, you'd think that this would be the "gist" of what I was dreaming about, except...

Does not even remotly line up with the dream body's appearance.

Furthermore, everything about how the dream was framed presented the body as being created whole clothe, not a modified human body.

However, the dream does mention using symbiotes to do a hybridization process, mentions various plants and fungi combined with human.... And, Weapon Plus is known to monitor and steal anything that can be used to further their own goals: In Weapon Plus: World War IV, which established all of this stuff about the modified man-thing juice, it's noted that they're very interested in any means of combining pants, animals, and fungus into the same organism and controlling plants and fungi in order to further improve their Man-Things.

Not that long ago, there was an invasion of the Earth by an alien race called the Coati: Sapient plants with plant control powers. Originally peaceful, a series of incidents resulted in them becoming radicalized and attempting to exterminate all animal life in the universe. Coati normally looks like various plants or have a humanoid form made of roots and leaves, but are also able to merge themselves with a freshly killed animal body, which makes them resemble the creature they merged with, except green as chlorophyll fills the body. The body I alive in every way that counts, and if they breed with a member of the host body's species, it creates a viable hybrid of coati and the species that appears to be the animal species but has coati DNA, Coating powers, and the ability to shift their body into plants—an example would be the "Celestial Messiah" Sequoia, the son of Mantis and a Coati possessing the body of Swordsman... Who was, unfortunately, one of the radicalized coati.

There would be coati corpses all over the planet due to several rather impressive attempts at fighting back against the invasion and they're exactly the kind of thing that Project Sulfur is looking for.

(Incidentally, The Roxxon Corporation made a clone of Sallis who was spliced with Groot's DNA to make it stronger and while it was released from Roxxon's custody its current whereabouts is unknown. Weapon Plus finding it and getting a sample to study would account for the "Groot DNA" mentioned in the dream)

Creating a human/Coati hybrid and then applying the So-2 serum to that might get something closer to what I dreamed about, with the other plants and fungi guess being used to... Something.

If I had to guess from the top of my head, I know that kudzu and bamboo are both known to be capable of growing really fast while willow has the best regenerative abilities of any tree: A pile of fresh willow chips can grow into a new willow and putting a fresh willow stick in a pot of water with a fresh stick from another tree will cause the other branch to sprout roots from the willow's hormones getting in the water. I'm not sure about the algae or shiitake mushroom, but I have some theories about the rose and unnamed "pollen" regarding subconscious connections that weren't expressed in the dream.

Symbiote DNA has been combined with other organisms without any noticeable symbiote traits before, for... Exactly this kind of thing. A portion of the Carnage symbiote was combined with the DNA of Kraven the Hunter and the original Five X-Men and then cultivated into a clone of Kraven with the same powers that the X-Men had at the time those DNA samples were taken but no noticeable traits from Carnage other than "genetic adaptability."

So borrow a small piece of symbiote from the Weapon V division, combine one or more humans with coati DNA, mature the clone in a vat, and give it the man-thing drug...

Except "Omega Level" is very rarely used outside of the context of referring to mutants, with some dialog suggestion that only mutants can have omega-level powers.

And there are two mutants with plant control powers and black hair: Klara Prast and Black Tom Cassidy.

Klara, whose chosen "Hero Name" is "Rose Red" so the mention of rose DNA being used might have been a subconscious allusion to her, is too young, but clone bodies can be artificially aged so a clone of her. especially a modified one, being older than the original isn't an issue. However, while she's very powerful, to the point that the official Avengers portfolio on the Runaways suggests giving her a wide berth, she is far from being omega level and her powers of botanopathy and chlorokinisis only apply to actual biological plants, not algae or fungi. Otherwise, she's a good match to what was in the dream.

Black Tom initially had the power to shoot focused beams of heat and/or concussive force out of anything made of wood he was holding, but due to a combination of genetic enhancement and secondary mutation gave him the ability to generate plant matter from his body, control all kinds of wood, tress, and tree-like plants, turn into plants, project his consciousness through plants, and symbiotically connect his body and/or senses to any plants or fungi in his environment to magnify his powers and awareness. He is currently the chief of homeland security in the Island Nation of Krakoa for exactly this reason: By synchronizing with Krakoa's various plants and fungi, he can link his senses with that of the Island and be aware of anything happening on its soils or around any plant that's still part of Krakoa. But, the body

"Pollen" is the name of a street drug that's synthesized from flowers stolen from Krakoa. It's a powder that is deposited on the tongue and induces a state of "Exalted Euphoria" while also imbuing you with superhuman strength and superhuman intelligence: The average subject is noted to be twice as strong and twice as smart. However, unlike the officially sanctioned Krakoan drugs, pollen is highly addictive and an overdose, or prolonged use, will kill your ass dead.

The mention of pollen in the dream could be referring to pollen or other derivatives of Krakoa being included in the modification, or it could be alluding to Black Tom due to his position on Krakoa in the current run of X-Men comics. Or both.

The combination of their abilities, enhanced with Coati DNA and a (possibly Groot enhanced) SO-2 formula(and possibly incorporating Krakoan traits) could add up to Omega Level plant control and if Kalra was used as the base template and the hybrid clone body artificially aged to full adulthood could reasonably look like what I saw in the dream.

Honorable mention: Rictor is a black haired mutant that has a connection to the life force of the planet and a limited ability to control plant life which combined with a stronger plant controller could add up to Omega Level, but his primary power is geokenisis, not chlorogenic, and there's nothing in the dream that reads as "subconscious allusion" to him analyzing the dream after having woken up.

I think I have a problem because it only took me a few minutes to put that together when I woke up from the dream.

*There's confusion about what Omege Level means, particularly among more casual fans of the comics, so for clarity: Omega does not mean "powerful" though there's certainly a degree of overlap between powerful people and omega level characters. Omega means "no intrinsic limits." Ice Man is not an Omega Level mutant becuase he's powerful enough to freeze entire planets, he's an Omega Level mutant becuase his control over ice, snow, water vapor, and temperature are virtually unlimited in their applications and becuase he keeps developing secondary abilities that compliment them. His powers even seem to cross over from the relatively "scientific" powers of most mutants into the realm of magic: Per Thor, Bobby could achieve form of apotheosis and become an Ice Gaint(not to be confused with Frost Giants) more or less by deciding he wanted to. So it's not "godlike plant control" per se but "infinitely versatile plant control."
    **In the dream, they were referring to "Groot DNA" as if they were talking about his species rather than the individual.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #254

Happens all the time, given the number of stapled documents I handle. Of late, I usually find out about the time I apply more hand sanitizer.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Happens all the time, given the number of stapled documents I handle. Of late, I usually find out about the time I apply more hand sanitizer.
    ...Ouch.
    I've got an ache in one of the joints of my foot, right where the little-toe joins the main body of the foot, and I don't know why. It doesn't feel like my normal collection of aches.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #256

You may have bumped it into something. Fun fact: the little toe is the most likely to get broken, because it's the one that takes a lot of angled hits.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Have you spent some time in shoes/boots of some kind today?

I get a similar ache due to the shape of my feet.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You may have bumped it into something. Fun fact: the little toe is the most likely to get broken, because it's the one that takes a lot of angled hits.
    I'm pretty sure I've broken that toe before.

But it's not the toe, it's the joint behind it, and I woke up this way so unless I kicked something in my sleep.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #259

Sounds like you might have caught it against something and got a small sprain in the joint. Try to stay off it if you can, and maybe take an aspirin.

20. - Top - End - #260

I hate when people try to argue for a black and white interpretation of a work of fiction when the shades of grey are staring them in the face.

I hate when people insist that a work of fiction exists in a shade of grey when it's quite clearly black and white.

I especially hate it when it's the same person and they flip flop which one it is depending on what work of fiction we're talking about.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Baths are warm and cozy. I have now become a mermaid.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #262

Hopefully the amphibious kind?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully the amphibious kind?
    Only if the air breathing power hasn't been released yet.

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Mermaid aesthetic is good, but seems very, very impractical for normal human life.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Mermaid aesthetic is good, but seems very, very impractical for normal human life.
    Yes, bt I'd be free of the tyranny of shirts

Show

26. - Top - End - #266

Yes, bt I'd be free of the tyranny of shirts
    I wish I had the kind of body where I could just not wear a shirt sometimes.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I have a secret trick for getting such a body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Occasionally remove your shirt.

Althoughif I'm being serious, yeah body image is a killer.

Show

28. - Top - End - #268

I have a secret trick for getting such a body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Occasionally remove your shirt.

Although if I'm being serious, yeah body image is a killer.
    This isn't a body image thing, I objectively do not look good in a shirt.

This isn't an "I have a minor weight problem or a few stretch marks" thing, this is...

Look, part of the reason I would kill to get access to something like the Infinity Formula or the Super Soldier Serum is becuase it's the only way I can fix this sack of bad genes and bad decisions without destroying some other part of my body.

Well, weight training but there's not exactly a gym near by and I have neither the money nor the space for a set of weight training equipment.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #269

Same. I should really work to get that sometime. Hopefully I'll be able to get myself to do it soon.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You can do it if you want. It will take about 4 years unless you are skinny or close to there already, but it's totally doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".