New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do YOU pronounce Sigil with a hard or soft G?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Planar stuff often has weird pronunciation. I go with official sources as much as possible. The Baldur's Gate games were what helped me learn to pronounce "drow" (rhymes with "how", as in "how do you do?"), "tiefling" (TEE-fling), and "genasi" ("gen-AH-see", hard "g").
    Oh god, don't get me started on 'genie' and 'djinni' having two separate meanings in D&D. One's just a corruption of the other. Which goes mean it should logically be a soft g there.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    In this thread:
    The GitP forum discovers linguistics for the first time.
    You've never seen the 'how is drow pronounced' thread, have you? Rhymes with bow, for the record.

Actually I think we've had more than one of those? Gygax apparently used a shorter o, so it rhymed with know, but the longer o to rhyme with plough might actually be more common.

Did you know that the Clan in Vampire the Masquerade is pronounced Brew-zhah? Even Bloodlines gets that one wrong but it's specified in the 1e core.

The one I see often is mispronouncing 'daemon' as 'demon'. Which is not without precedent, see encyclopaedia, so I'll switch to demon if corrected, but it's notably widespread (the word is technically 'day-mun' with a short u, at least in my accent).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You've never seen the 'how is drow pronounced' thread, have you? Rhymes with bow, for the record.
    Well, I think we all agree it rhymes with bow; we just might disagree on whether it's bow, the weapon, or bow, the courtly movement to greet someone. I always went with the latter.

Personally, I pronounce it "SI-gill", as in fish gills. "Sijil" still sounds way better than "Siggle" though, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-02-06 at 07:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wait a tick. Can you name even ONE word that starts with an "S" that uses a "z" sound?

But when used in the middle of a word (like "laser"), a single "s" can sometimes have that sound.
    The point I was making is that the way a word is used in the word whose initial is part of the acronym has no bearing on the actual pronunciation in that acronym, which still stands.

...Not that this has any real bearing on "Sigil" anyway, although much of the rest of the gif discussion (like trying to find words like "give", "gift", "giant" or "giraffe" and then realising that they don't really support a precedent one way or the other) is more pertinent to this discussion.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Oh god, don't get me started on 'genie' and 'djinni' having two separate meanings in D&D. One's just a corruption of the other. Which goes mean it should logically be a soft g there.

Actually I think we've had more than one of those? Gygax apparently used a shorter o, so it rhymed with know, but the longer o to rhyme with plough might actually be more common.

Did you know that the Clan in Vampire the Masquerade is pronounced Brew-zhah? Even Bloodlines gets that one wrong but it's specified in the 1e core.

The one I see often is mispronouncing 'daemon' as 'demon'. Which is not without precedent, see encyclopaedia, so I'll switch to demon if corrected, but it's notably widespread (the word is technically 'day-mun' with a short u, at least in my accent).
    I've seen the drow thing discussed before, but I don't think I've heard a single person pronounce it "dro". I think even the D&D computer games with voice acting that I've played have been pretty consistent on the "ow" pronunciation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Personally, I pronounce it as rhyming with "giggle" - both because that matches the seriousness of Planescape, and because a magic sigil is something that is already a thing.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigil the city in Planescape? I rhyme it with giggle.
    Sigil the magical rune: gets the 'j' sound. Rhymes with vigil.

Drow: Yes, I know BG II rhymed it with cow, but I rhyme it with snow.
    Here's the link to the old thread Anonymous Wizard was talking about: Drow like snow
    (It's dead, so don't post in it unless you want a Thread Necromancy warning from the Mods.)
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-02-06 at 09:30 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, Genie is probably from Latin Genius, so it is different from Arabic Jinn.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Kobold

Again, linguistically speaking, the idea that a made-up fantasy word has a."correct pronunciation" is as hilarious as it is incorrect.

Language doesn't care how the creator wanted it pronounced. That's not how it works.

If people pronounce Drow so it rhymes with "Snow" or rhymes with "Plow," at this point both are probably right. So long as you know what they're talking about, all is well.

Getting into a tiff over which way is "correct" is kind of a holdout from a lot of... iffy and uncomfortable historical information about the English Language.
    (Ain't was perfectly acceptable,.high-brow English for nearly 100 years. Then the poors started using it too much and it was removed from proper English. I wish I was joking.)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Getting into a tiff over which way is "correct" is kind of a holdout from a lot of... iffy and uncomfortable historical information about the English Language.
    (Ain't was perfectly acceptable,.high-brow English for nearly 100 years. Then the poors started using it too much and it was removed from proper English. I wish I was joking.)
    Well.

that just ain't right. I knew this kind of thing was nonsense.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, D&D appropriated the word "genie" to be the greater umbrella under which "djinni", "efreeti" and "marids" are related.

D&D appropriated lots of words. "Medusa" shoudl not be a creature type, and should not be plural, if you want to get down to it.

And I see your point about genasi, but that's the way it's pronounced in official sources.

I did not know that. I was still new to VtM when I played Bloodlines. I've always assumed "BROO-hah" was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    The point I was making is that the way a word is used in the word whose initial is part of the acronym has no bearing on the actual pronunciation in that acronym, which still stands.

...Not that this has any real bearing on "Sigil" anyway, although much of the rest of the gif discussion (like trying to find words like "give", "gift", "giant" or "giraffe" and then realising that they don't really support a precedent one way or the other) is more pertinent to this discussion.
    And yet, "S" isn't ever really "soft" like "G" is. It's always a hard consonant sound. When you say "hard G", you really just mean "G that sounds like a G" as opposed to "G that sounds like a J". Or how a "C" is either "sounds like a K" or "sounds like an S", or "combined with another letter to make a new sound (like CH)".
    Also, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Not to mention plenty of people say "Lay-ser" and not "Lay-zer". I've even heard it pronounced something like "Lay-shure".
    Again, linguistically speaking, the idea that a made-up fantasy word has a."correct pronunciation" is as hilarious as it is incorrect.

Language doesn't care how the creator wanted it pronounced. That's not how it works.
    Actually, that's exactly how that works. Especially if you are referring to it within the same wheelhouse as the creator intended it for.

If I was talking about Harry Potter lore with Harry Potter fans, and referred to Voldemort's Horcrux, pronouncing "hor-KRUZH", I would actually be objectively wrong.
    If people pronounce Drow so it rhymes with "Snow" or rhymes with "Plow," at this point both are probably right. So long as you know what they're talking about, all is well.

That standards change and the bar of "acceptable" or "correct" changes doesn't mean that bar doesn't exist.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #41

WolfInSheepsClothing

And yet, "S" isn't ever really "soft" like "G" is. It's always a hard consonant sound. When you say "hard G", you really just mean "G that sounds like a G" as opposed to "G that sounds like a J". Or how a "C" is either "sounds like a K" or "sounds like an S", or "combined with another letter to make a new sound (like CH)".
    The specific ways that specific letters are pronounced has literally no bearing on the fact that it is still true and will be forever true that the pronunciation of letters in individual words in an acronym hs no connection to the pronunciation of the letters in that acronym.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Actually, Genie is probably from Latin Genius, so it is different from Arabic Jinn.
    According to google it's both.
    Latin (genius) -> French (génie) -> Modern english (genie) <- arabian nights entertainment (génie) <- arabic (jinní)

(source: I typed "genie etymology" into google)
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    If they wanted it pronounced with a hard g, they should spell it differently from the real word that is pronounced with a soft g.
    Why?

Hard G is pretty common in a lot of languages, my own included. Not everything in D&D follows the trends of English.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Full disclosure, I pronounce GIF as "Gift". But I can see a case for pronouncing it like the peanut butter Jif, if only to avoid confusion with the word "gift". Especially early on in their development/utilization.

Now a days, if you're not using jpegs (pronounced gee-pigs, obviously) you're imaging wrong
    Trollbait extraordinaire

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Well, D&D appropriated the word "genie" to be the greater umbrella under which "djinni", "efreeti" and "marids" are related.

D&D appropriated lots of words. "Medusa" shoudl not be a creature type, and should not be plural, if you want to get down to it.
    Monster names in D&D are a complete mess, 'medusas' should be 'gorgons' as a passing similarity with Greek myth would reveal. I occasionally try to fix it for settings, in which case Djinni, Efreeti, Marid, and Dao become the four main species of Elemental Lord.

And I see your point about genasi, but that's the way it's pronounced in official sources.
    Oh, I get that it's how it's pronounced officially, but like with Sigil the hard g just sounds off to me,

I did not know that. I was still new to VtM when I played Bloodlines. I've always assumed "BROO-hah" was correct.
    The only place I know it's pronounced correctly is Redemption, but yeah. 'BROO-hah' comes from the word looking like the spanish word 'bruja', which is pronounced like that, and as most Brujah in Bloodlines are young it's possible that they literally have never heard the 'classical' pronunciation. Fun thing to play atound with in game, because of course a lot of Brujah legitimately do not care, and most of the Clan's scholars likely care more about clear communication than prescriptivism, so I wouldn't be shocked if it oficially changes bot in and out of universe at some point.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I purposely pronounce it wrong and revel in the chaos
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #47

The ordinary word is pronounced "sijil," so I pronounce the name the same way. (Likewise "vigil," which came from the same Latin root and underwent the same sound change.)

However, I also recognize the "dah-tuh" vs. "day-tuh" thing. Sometimes, a name is a word, and sometimes it's apart from that word. If it belongs to a specific person or authority, you ask them if you're unsure, clean and simple. But since Sigil doesn't belong to anyone IRL the way that "day-tuh" belongs to a specific Soong-type positronic android in Star Trek, it's our choice as content creators, and thus messy and individual.

I would generally be confused if someone spoke "siggle" and expected me to know that it referred to the city, just as I would be confused if someone told me to be "viggle-ant" for criminal activity. I could probably figure it out from context clues or just thinking about it, but it would need that "thinking about it" moment before I figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Why?

Hard G is pretty common in a lot of languages, my own included. Not everything in D&D follows the trends of English.
    Because the authors were English speakers originally writing in English. To turn the question around: why should I expect to pronounce words the way a French person would (just to make up a language; I have no idea what your native tongue is, so if it's French, I promise this isn't targeted at you) if I'm reading a work originally written in English? Why should I expect English pronunciations if I'm (say) playing a game made in Poland, Germany, or Japan? (The last there can be complicated, since many terms or names in Japanese are merely transliterated Engl, e.g. the recurring FF entity Bahamut is literally バハムート, Bahamūto, but for the sake of argument I'll say I'm only thinking about names of actual Japanese origin, not transliterated names.)

Hard G is also present in English (giggle, for example, or give, or vogue), so it's not like this is an allophonic difference issue like with liquid consonants in Japanese vs. European languages.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-02-08 at 11:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

PaladinGuy

I thought the quote was a joke. The Guvners are rules fetishists who are all about following the letter of the law to screw people over, so being pedantic about the pronunciation of "Sigil" would be par for the course with them. It's not necessarily the correct pronunciation or even one most inhabitants of Sigil would use.
    There's another bit in the Planesacape books somewhere about the Guvners discovering that the are 18 distinct levels of strength in everyone in the multiverse, and trying to discover if the other attributes can be rated similarly and decide how they can use this information.

19. - Top - End - #49

Appalachian g: Si'il

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I purposely pronounce it wrong and revel in the chaos
    Or this. I have purposely pronounced Drow with as many different vowel sounds as possible in the same session. Drough, Drah, Droo, Drhoe, Drau, Drao, Dreugh, and even Jrow, for good measure. It's a hobby.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

All of this is missing the more important question -- does 'Flind' rhyme with sinned or blind?
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-02-09 at 08:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

In this thread:
    The GitP forum discovers linguistics for the first time.

Ok guys, I have shocking news for you:
    The idea of each word having one objectively correct pronunciation is LAUGHABLE. And in many instances, wrong.

For instance, the following word:
    Crayon.
    Some pronounce it "CRAY-on"
    Some pronounce it "Cran"

Both are correct.

How about "Coupon?"
    Some pronounce it "COOP-on"
    Some pronounce it "KYOO-pon"

Again, both are correct.

How about the ever-debated "GIF?"
    Welp, according to how linguists do things, (Go look at how people say it, and then describe how people actually pronounce it) the most common is hard-G "GIF", by a fairly big margin.
    "JIF" is in second place
    And pronouncing it "G-I-F," letter-by-letter is the rarest.

So you'll get fewer odd looks with hard G. But those top two are still both correct for now. The bottom one is weird but probably not wrong.
    There is a difference between slight vowel shifts - as most of those examples are - and a complete consonant-switch that is only ambiguous because a vaguery of English spelling lets the same symbol make either sound.

Pronouncing "D&D" to sound exactly like the word "dandy" would, in fact, be incorrect, in no small part because it would create needless confusion as nobody would know to what you were referring (and might make incorrect assumptions), for example.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    All of this is missing the more important question -- does 'Flind' rhyme with wind or bind?
    It rhymes with wind, obviously!

I personally rhyme it with 'binned' as well.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    All of this is missing the more important question -- does 'Flind' rhyme with wind or bind?
    With as much sense as some of the other official articulations make, it probly rhymes with orange.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    It rhymes with wind, obviously!

I personally rhyme it with 'binned' as well.
    Goodness, I didn't even notice that I chose an ambiguous option. Will change.

25. - Top - End - #55

Lizardfolk

Put my vote down for soft G sound.
    Sigil. Like Vigil.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Put my vote down for soft G sound.
    Sigil. Like Vigil.
    Both hard g for me as it fits the classical latin roots.

Not that i have used those words/names when speaking English so far.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    Both hard g for me as it fits the classical latin roots.

Not that i have used those words/names when speaking English so far.
    If I may ask, how do you pronounce "Caesar," "vacuum," "agenda," and/or "homicide"?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I have never understood the difference between Hard and Soft G
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I have never understood the difference between Hard and Soft G
    It's the difference between the j sound in "jam" or "jeopardy" ("soft"), and the g sound in "grab" or "glitter" ("hard").

If you're familiar with the typical English pronunciation of "geography," the first g is soft, while the second is hard. "dzhee-oh-gra-fee."
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-02-10 at 11:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    If I may ask, how do you pronounce "Caesar," "vacuum," "agenda," and/or "homicide"?
    Kaiser, Vakuum, Agenda and Homizid, but then I'm a German speaker.
    Resident Vancian Apologist